Angels vs Twins Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Minnesota’s Starting Pitcher Won’t Need Help from Heaven Against Angels

The Angels host the Twins for game three of a four-game set at 9:07 ET. The Angels are heavily favored, but are oddsmakers justly accounting for their disadvantage in starting pitching?

Minnesota Twins (16-18) at Los Angeles Angeles (23-15)

MLB Pick: Minnesota 1H

You might think me crazy for not backing the „better“ team. But Minnesota will win the first five innings tonight with its edge in starting pitching.

Kyle Gibson (1-1, 3.49 ERA) carries upside for Minnesota. His career ERA is .35 higher than his career FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) after five-plus seasons. Over the course of a pitcher’s career, ERA and FIP tend to align—in other words, luck tends to even itself out. So Gibson is statistically „due“ to get lucky.

But he won’t need much luck tonight. He’s been stronger away from home, with a 2.64 road FIP compared to 3.97 at home. Dating to 2015, he produced a 2.10 FIP or better in his two starts in Anaheim. He’s also entering his career-best month—Gibson has a 3.40 career ERA in May.

Gibson’s FIP is down 1.74 from last season. He’s inducing more than three strikeouts per nine innings and allowing fewer homers. He’s improved his slider by killing its vertical movement and giving it more „slide“ so that it better eludes the opposing bat. Opponents’ slugging percentage against his slider is down from .436 last season to .111. He’s also done the same thing to his chang-eup which makes it spend less time hanging over the plate and therefore be more difficult for opposing batters to track.

He loves throwing in the bottom and bottom-rigth quadrant of the strike zone. The four spots which he hits most frequently are in this area. In doing so, Gibson avoids danger and induces more ground balls. The Angels’ batting numbers against ground-ball pitchers are unsustainably higher than last year. According to the metric BA-xBA, which calculates where a team’s BA is relative to where it should be, the Angels are one of the most overachieving teams against pitches in the bottom and bottom-right area of the strike zone. So whereas Gibson has statistical upside, the Angels’ batters show downside.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The comeback kids in the 9th: <br><br>Rosie HR<br>LoMo 2B<br>Kepler IBB<br>Garver RBI single to tie<br>Wilson sac fly for the lead<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TwinsWin?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#TwinsWin</a> <a href="https://t.co/XqrRe1ZhZR">pic.twitter.com/XqrRe1ZhZR</a></p>&mdash; Minnesota Twins (@Twins) <a href=" ">12. Mai 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nick Tropeano (1-2, 3.42 ERA) counters for the Angels. Tropeano returns from a 10-day DL stint due to his shoulder and history suggests that he’ll be rusty. He’s yielded an FIP over 5.00 in the last three outings after more than six days of rest. His career opposing BA after so much rest is .292.

For example, in comparing his last start after a longer break with his most recent one before getting injured, Tropeano threw in the heart of the place twice as frequently, there were twice as many spots where he threw more than 10% of the time, and he relied on one pitch over 60% of the time, whereas in his most recent start he didn’t have to rely on one pitch more than 30% of the time.

Minnesota’s lineup possesses plenty of quality with which to compensate for injured slugger Miguel Sano. Eddie Rosario had four-straight multi-hit games and a nine-game hitting streak entering into the series opener. Last night, he rediscovered his prowess with a solo homer. Max Kepler had hit a homer and two doubles in his past three games before resting last night. Brian Dozier is finally heating-up. He went 4-for-4 with a double and homer in the serious opener and 2-for-4 with a double last night.

The Twins have one of the worst bullpens in terms of FIP despite not throwing many innings, so I don’t dare back them for the full game. But they are good for a first-five play.

Last edited:
Like it. Looking at over in the Bronx early. Day games at Yankee stadium usually are good for that, but not sure about German and Triggs

The Twins are 7-1 in Gibsons last 8 starts with 5 days of rest, 7-2 in Gibsons last 9 road starts and 12-3 in Gibsons last 15 starts. The Angels are 17-5 in their last 22 vs. a team with a losing record and 7-2 in their last 9 overall. The Twins are 19-40 in the last 59 meetings in Los Angeles and the over is 45-22-5 in the last 72 meetings.
Tropeano has pitched shutouts in two of his four starts and the Los Angeles Angels have played their best baseball at home this season. However, we're getting plus money with Gibson and the red hot Minnesota Twins. Gibson has an ERA of 2.52 with an allowed batting average of .123 on the road this season in 25 innings

P
I'm a eggplant parm guy! Never tried till My current woman who makes it incredible. Made the mistake of trying it at Olive Garden or somewhere and wasn't nearly as good.

I thought olive garden was a good place the commercials for it say so!

Lol. I love squash too!!! Acorn, butternut, just the regular yellow kind like slicing that up w zucchini!!
My last long termer, she loved spaghetti squash. Man that was good stuff. Treat it like spaghetti and throw on some parm, basil, sauce...even chicken and man it was like eating pasta. But it was squash. So good.

I played twinks last night, felt pretty fortunate to pull that one out late., couldn't pass up that +163 price tag w couple suspect ass bullpens, felt like those pens pretty much make these games counflips late. Even after twins got the lead then had to sweat out that asshat crooked hat wearing clown Rodney who managed to get the save despite everyone hitting ropes, just happened to go right to fielders!!! Think im just taking my cash and dodging rest of this series.

Trying to decide between cards rl or over 7.5 in San Diego? Ump been favorable for overs, wacha surface stats much better than peripherals, but wacha does own good numbers w ump, against pads, and at petco. Hoping last night was a springboard for the offense to get going? Lot of the right guys mashed homers. We much better team when Pham is healthy, hopefully they keep Carp on bench, dude been straight garbage!! They damn sure better keep gyrko in lineup, you were spot on bout him mashing his former team!! Run line pretty tempting upwards of +150ish. Pads w big pen advantage makes over appealing as if they run wacha by 6th surely they will plate some runs vs our pen. Thoughts?

My last long termer, she loved spaghetti squash. Man that was good stuff. Treat it like spaghetti and throw on some parm, basil, sauce...even chicken and man it was like eating pasta. But it was squash. So good.

Sounds amazing! I'm hungry! Lol. Got a nice rack of ribs I'm bout to throw in oven on low for few hours then I'll switch over to grill to finish off!!

I played twinks last night, felt pretty fortunate to pull that one out late., couldn't pass up that +163 price tag w couple suspect ass bullpens, felt like those pens pretty much make these games counflips late. Even after twins got the lead then had to sweat out that asshat crooked hat wearing clown Rodney who managed to get the save despite everyone hitting ropes, just happened to go right to fielders!!! Think im just taking my cash and dodging rest of this series.

Trying to decide between cards rl or over 7.5 in San Diego? Ump been favorable for overs, wacha surface stats much better than peripherals, but wacha does own good numbers w ump, against pads, and at petco. Hoping last night was a springboard for the offense to get going? Lot of the right guys mashed homers. We much better team when Pham is healthy, hopefully they keep Carp on bench, dude been straight garbage!! They damn sure better keep gyrko in lineup, you were spot on bout him mashing his former team!! Run line pretty tempting upwards of +150ish. Pads w big pen advantage makes over appealing as if they run wacha by 6th surely they will plate some runs vs our pen. Thoughts?

FF RL?

Ribs are amazing!! Had lots of them down south

Not my favorite thing to cook but I've come up w pretty good system w them and they have turned out really well my last few attempts.. normally I defer to my brother when it comes to ribs as he big into smoking things (meats not drugs! Lol) and I think his are better cause smoking them for a externally long period of time is just the best way imo, I don't have that kind of patients! Just so happened last trip to butcher he had a great deal going on a rack so wasn't gonna pass up!!!

Not my favorite thing to cook but I've come up w pretty good system w them and they have turned out really well my last few attempts.. normally I defer to my brother when it comes to ribs as he big into smoking things (meats not drugs! Lol) and I think his are better cause smoking them for a externally long period of time is just the best way imo, I don't have that kind of patients! Just so happened last trip to butcher he had a great deal going on a rack so wasn't gonna pass up!!!

Damn Dan get him to smoke the good stuff!

Damn Dan get him to smoke the good stuff!

Few times back in day when he was really buzzed up I've gotten him to smoke a little w me, got him to eat x once or twice. He not like me and our youngest brother tho, much smarter, more stable, got the good marriage, the 2.2 kids (lol, well 2), dog, picket fence, all that "normal" stuff!! Lol.

Man thats dumb gotta trade normal life for some good drugs. All about finding transcendence and higher planes of knowledge

Hello, my friend. So far, so good for Gibson. 6 more outs to make us a bit wealthier.

As far as your Cards go, they are an enigma. I cannot get a pulse on that team at all this year so far. Think I’ve lost more betting on their games than anyone else. Had an offer that didn’t get matched at my exchange or I would’ve been on them tonight too.

Hello, my friend. So far, so good for Gibson. 6 more outs to make us a bit wealthier.

As far as your Cards go, they are an enigma. I cannot get a pulse on that team at all this year so far. Think I’ve lost more betting on their games than anyone else. Had an offer that didn’t get matched at my exchange or I would’ve been on them tonight too.

Seems like a team prone to letdowns. Rocked by Twins after sweeping Cubs in dramatic fashion. Five homers yesterday now can‘t hit Padres. May be a pattern worth keeping in mind

Back