ALCS Discussion: Yanks vs Stros

Yankees need to pounce tomorrow against Greinke, will easily be their best chance at a road win in this series.

Bullpen / yankee power bats will make this competitive, as a Yankee fan I’m excited and hoping for the best but I suspect the Stros may have just passed what will wind up being their biggest playoff test.

Houston just seems too balanced everywhere but Yankees can mash anyone not named Cole. Looking forward to it.

Baseball guys correct me if I'm wrong... JV last two years (4 starts) has given up 19 total hits and 3 HRs with 34 strikeouts vs NYY. We also know that he gave up 36 HRs this year which were part of his 66 total runs given up.

Well, what the Yankees are doing is some historic shit hitting wise. Can only imagine what the stats would be if everybody was healthy all year.

Offense has been winning some of the last few world series' and in most sports now, offense wins. I dunno.

Really wish I had a clue who was gonna win this series. Have nats and cards ws futures and gonna be against them both in ws so would love to get plus money on one the AL teams now but seriously have no idea who gonna win this series??

Paxton is limited bad with ref. Verlander is 1-3 with ump with a low 3 ERA Guy is supposed to be a homer???

Heard a odd trend. No idea where it came from,Astros 33-5 off a game where Springer did not get a hit. Very respectable source

The last time the Astros were shut out in a playoff game was 2017 by the Yankees and Tanaka. Verlander started the next game and they beat Yankees & Severino 7-1.

Last edited:
Same song and dance for the Yankees. They always beat in postseason by good pitching, while Yankee pitchers cant hold opponents under 3 runs. There was some little defense played by the Bombers. Houston vs Nats is actually the best matchup we could ask for. 3 vs 3 regarding the pitchers.

Last edited:
Same is song and dance for the Yankees. They always beat in postseason by good pitching, while Yankee pitchers cant hold opponents under 3 runs. There was some little defense played by the Bombers. Houston vs Nats is actually the best matchup we could ask for. 3 vs 3 regarding the pitchers.
Lotta series left.

Now, will game 4 happen tomorrow? Time to cap a possible day off.
100% chance of rain. Very interesting if they end up playing 4 straight days. All Houston needs to do is win with Verlander and Cole. They could go all hands on deck in game 4 with minimal work game 5 to set up 6 & 7. Yankees are in a terrible spot if tomorrow is a rainout. No day rest in between 5 & 6. They'll need that day because game 4 and 5 is a all go in pitching matchups they should win.
Having said that, who the fuck knows? All I know is I dont see the Yankees winning 3 out of 4 with you know who pitching 6 & 7.
Only 1 scenario I see Yankees winning and that's about a 10% chance. They win the next 3. Catch some momentum winning 4 & 5, steal 6.

This generally favors Houston and I say that as a Yankee fan holding WS futures.

With that said, this now creates one specific path for the Yankees that didn’t exist prior to the rainout.

- Win Game 4
- Force Houston’s hand into pitching Verlander in Game 5, which is certainly preferred by the Yanks given one less day of rest and at Yankee Stadium rather than in Houston
- Win Game 5
- Head back to Houston having to win 1 of 2 games, and the Astros are left with the need to throw Cole on 3 days in Game 6, then only have a bullpen game available to them in Game 7

I know this is a stretch, believe me, but this is the Yanks’ most realistic scenario now given the amended schedule.

Such a benefit IMO for the Astros. G4 was almost a throw away for them. Now, they at least have a shot.

JV can now pitch in G5 vs. G6 and be available if needed in a G7.

Yankees' only reliable pitcher is Tanaka and the pen... which will effectively be useless G5-on unless Tanaka can give them a full game gem.

The rain out is a huge adv for Houston. They are up 2-1, if they should win game 4 with Tanaka pitching for the Yanks it’s lights out with Verlander and Cole looming. Even if yanks tie it 2-2, gonna be awfully tough to win 2 more games when you have no reliable starters left, and having those two studs for hou combined with having no days off they can’t possibly throw all those bp arms each game, maybe CC can give them something

I would be careful in thinking fading Greinke is free money. With the bad perception of Greinke’s last 2 games. Yanks ML getting lots of action which is understandable but why ML barely moving...Also Yanks TT 1st 5 is only Over 2.5 +125. Seems Greinke may have a better game and it may come down the yanks pen to try to win this than Tanaka.

I would think this a must win game for Astros, do they really want to extend Cole when Nats are resting. I think Yanks know odds are against them now once they had their chances against Cole and couldn’t get the W even on Cole’s worst game.

I can’t see how you don’t take Greinke and if it loses chase it Verlander...

Can anyone find out what Greinke’s record as dog? I’d be curious to see how performs it that situation.

Last edited:
I hear ya Cole was definitely winning the last game. But I feel the league match up has already been set. Pitching matchups in WS Stras/Scherzer vs Verlander/Cole. Just a matter of time..

I think I have found a play Greinke 1st5 is over 70% win. He is usually highly profitable 1st 5 pitcher. Also he rarely a dog in the 1st 5 as well..
This was a article from earlier in the year when Greinke played Kershaw on 06/24. He was a 1st 5 dog and won. Check the box score. Read down the article to the rare dog section.

Last edited:
Look if you believe this bet it. I have already bet Yanks for game and first half.
Its your money.

All good, just wanted to share as much info on the game with the community. Best of luck tonight! At least one of us will win!

After today's loss Verlander in a surprise is starting on the road. My first thought was NO but its not crazy. I would have played the kid who would have a chance to win and sat back in Houston and said BEAT ME if you can with Verlander and Cole. Verlander about a 2.40 ERA with this ump and bu.t Paxton about a 1.20.. Paxton not playing very well now

Essentially here you can Bet Tanaka who has been playing great with a ump he has a 1.42 ERA who is a strong homer ump or bet Greinke who will do his best but has not been playing well and on a short sample has been very bad with this ump. Your choice

In 7 starts, Tanaka has allowed 6 runs in 41 playoff innings pitched. Four of Tanaka's 7 playoff starts have been against the Astros.

Sicking. After Paxton they have no really good pitchers and I am not saying Paxton is elite but with this ump he has been very good. Every game has had designated winners but if they had saved Verlander for a home game How could they lose

Let's face it, no matter how you slice this, Verlander and Cole get a start each and the Yankees dont have an Ace to match either. When the Yankees are pitching their #2 who's really a 3 or 4 vs Verlander, we'll see a result like game 3. Then the Yankees throw their #3 who has hardly pitched, vs Cole. We'll see the same result as Game 3. Both will be available for game 7 which will never go that far anyway.
The mindless decision to have their worst hitter Gardner bat 3rd and their best hitter Torres bat 5th is almost unbelievable. Gardner has become a borderline big leagues player and Boone somehow has him batting 3rd.
Yanks only chance to win this series is to upset Verlander at home and beat everyone else except Cole.

Last edited:
This generally favors Houston and I say that as a Yankee fan holding WS futures.

With that said, this now creates one specific path for the Yankees that didn’t exist prior to the rainout.

- Win Game 4
- Force Houston’s hand into pitching Verlander in Game 5, which is certainly preferred by the Yanks given one less day of rest and at Yankee Stadium rather than in Houston
- Win Game 5
- Head back to Houston having to win 1 of 2 games, and the Astros are left with the need to throw Cole on 3 days in Game 6, then only have a bullpen game available to them in Game 7

I know this is a stretch, believe me, but this is the Yanks’ most realistic scenario now given the amended schedule.
Save Verlander & Cole until games 6 & 7.

Greinke is not the type of personality who is going to relish this situation pitching a big game in a totally hostile environment. I expect a big time implosion as I do every time this guy pitches in a big game.

I fade Greinke every playoff game that he pitches and won’t stop now. If he beats me good for him but I see him as another Kershaw; great regular season pitchers who panic when the pressure is on.

Houston Astros at New York Yankees – 8:08 EDT - Yankee Stadium Air Density Index (ADI): restricted Visual Memory Index (VMI): restricted(hou), restricted(nyy)
Wind:
W 16 mph
ssw.gif
Time:​
5 pm​
6 pm​
7 pm​
8 pm​
9 pm​
10 pm​
11 pm​
12 am​
1 am​
Temp:​
57°​
57°​
56°​
53°​
54°​
54°​
54°​
54°​
53°​
Humidity:​
53%​
54%​
61%​
71%​
68%​
68%​
69%​
69%​
71%​
Feels like:​
57°​
57°​
56°​
53°​
54°​
54°​
54°​
54°​
53°​
Condition:​
Overcast​
Overcast​
Mostly Cloudy​
Mostly Cloudy​
Mostly Cloudy​
Mostly Cloudy​
Mostly Cloudy​
Mostly Cloudy​
Mostly Cloudy​
Precip%:​
0%​
0%​
0%​
0%​
6%​
0%​
0%​
0%​
0%​
Wind:​
W 11 mph​
W 12 mph​
W 15 mph​
W 16 mph​
W 17 mph​
WNW 16 mph​
WNW 16 mph​
WNW 16 mph​
WNW 15 mph​
Weather forecast data on this page was updated on 10/17/2019 at 17:10 EDT.​

Looks like the 20-30 afternoon winds are not there but the 15-20 during game will be. Should be perfect for a few to get out

How do you cap a game where both starters just faced off against each other five days ago? Yankees 16-4 in the L20 Tanaka starts, but he was never facing the same opponent in consecutive outings..

Well the umpire was fairly clear and the simple fact is this is going to cost the league real money since chances of a 7 game series are rather slim. I watched the game with a friend. after the first inning he told me I might have a problem. Tanaka was tossing a dead ball while Greinke had a very live one, My eye sight is bleak you can tell me if my friend was right. Well the series bet looks VERY GOOD

It may seem simple minded but it is very clear that Cole was helped. They tried to help Tanaka and Paxton was given an excellent ump so they did their best to control the result

Back