Akron at Army

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Alright ..... i sort of liked army at +7.5 and now they are approaching the 9.5 area ... with 10 on the horizon ... i realize this isn't the most exciting game on the board with uga/asu and lsu/auburn and the like out there to focus on but we are a gambling community.... so i was hoping to get some others thoughts on this game ....

When I capped this game I have Akron at -15.Then I start looking at some other stats that I deem important.Like this

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=Column_Headers><TD class=Column_Headers width="100%" colSpan=4>YARDS PER PASS</TD></TR><TR class=Column_Headers><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">TEAM</TD><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">OFF</TD><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">DEF</TD><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">DIFF</TD></TR><TR class=Sport_data><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">AKRON</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">7.3</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">7.7</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">-0.4</TD></TR><TR class=Sport_data><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">ARMY</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">6.5</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">7.6</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">-1.1

</TD></TR><TR class=Column_Headers><TD class=Column_Headers width="100%" colSpan=4>YARDS PER RUSH</TD></TR><TR class=Column_Headers><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">TEAM</TD><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">OFF</TD><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">DEF</TD><TD class=Column_Headers width="25%">DIFF</TD></TR><TR class=Sport_data><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">AKRON</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">4.2</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">5.4</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">-1.2</TD></TR><TR class=Sport_data><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">ARMY</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">3.4</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">3.9</TD><TD class=Sport_data width="25%">-0.6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What I see is you may have a winner with Army but when I see those negatives on the DIFF I sure like the under.To sum it up, the spread I came up with and the negatives on the DIFF turned me away from Akron but I will watch the Total for a possible under play.

I liked Akron at -7 and now it's a no play.

Army is a truly awful team but Akron hasn't played well against Army recently.

appreciate that nawlins... nice info there.

Akron doesn't like to win road games on the road by double digits. They did it earlier this year with a 14 point win at syracuse but even that game was tied halfway through the fourth quarter. Prior to that you have to go all the way back to 2004 and a 12 point win at ohio to find them doing it.

Army seems like a ripe team to do it to but i don't understand the line getting steamed.

I also don't like betting opposite of big line moves in games involving mac teams.

I liked Akron at -7 and now it's a no play.

Army is a truly awful team but Akron hasn't played well against Army recently.

I know .. i should just avoid teams this bad .. they find ways to not cover that we could never expect.

Also folks should make note that steele incorrectly states that akron had a 63 yard kick return for a td in his mag. Sure it was a typo. they actually returned it to the army 23 and got a fg out of it. Not that it matters much but just a reminder to all of us that steele is fallible like the rest of us and makes mistakes .. and we need to double check his stuff.

rj , do you think akron could have any lookahead feelings for facing instate cincy the week after traveling to west point ?

VK--Possibly. There isn't any real reason why Akron would be up for this game other than just trying to get a win.

kyle,

two of Army's players left the team today, including their starting RB...I just got this info...

Tough one. I also leaned Akron at 7. Army could be the worst team in D-I.

After seeing the first couple of Akron games, I thought that this offense and Jacquemain had turned a corner. Not so sure anymore after the Ball St. game....

kyle,

two of Army's players left the team today, including their starting RB...I just got this info...

Coach clarifies what he meant when saying the team 'quit'

Coach Stan Brock with his Army players.AP

<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> aryImgs[imgCounter] = "http://images.recordonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=TH&Date=20080912&Category=SPORTS36&ArtNo=809120378&Ref=AR&MaxW=200&MaxH=180&title=1&border=0"; aryCaps[imgCounter] = "Coach%20Stan%20Brock%20with%20his%20Army%20players.
AP
"; aryZooms[imgCounter] = "javascript: NewWindow(780,600,window.document.location+'&Template=photos&img="+imgCounter+"')"; bolImages=true; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> var isoPubDate = 'September 12, 2008'</SCRIPT>
By Sal Interdonato

Times Herald-Record
September 12, 2008
Bye weeks are supposed to be quiet times, when football teams recover and regroup.
Army's off-week has been anything but silent.
Coach Stan Brock's comments after a 28-10 loss to New Hampshire Saturday — which included the words "quit," "heart" and "backbone" — are still a hot topic among fans and alumni, and two highly regarded players — freshman quarterback Paul McIntosh and sophomore running back Pat Mealy — have left the team.
Brock responded to a number of issues surrounding his program in a wide-ranging interview Thursday.
The second-year head coach credited his seniors and captains for keeping the team together and motivated and clarified his comments Saturday.
"When I say that I see some players quit, it's not like they lay down and took a nap on the sidelines," Brock said. "There's also the mental aspect, and the mental aspect is what I'm more concerned of, when you can see some, very few, but their demeanor is that the game is over and we lost before it's over. That is my point.
"I probably shouldn't have used the word quit because they believe you just lay down and it's all over. In my opinion, if you made up in your mind — this game is over and we can't win — that is the part I want to remove from our team. I want guys to believe you are in the game all the way through it and that it's never over."
Players are trying to put the first two games behind them.
"We said in the locker room after the game and over the weekend, we don't know exactly what's going on but something has to change," said senior linebacker John Plumstead, a team captain. "We came out flat against New Hampshire, and we forgot this is a game that's supposed to be fun.
"We came out this week hootin' and hollerin' and having a good time."
Brock has built a reputation as a good motivator among his players. He's focused his efforts on changing the losing mentality at West Point. But when the word "quit" is used at West Point, it can raise eyebrows.
"It's taken personally, I don't care where you are," Brock said. "That's not something that anybody would want to be associated with. It's not like anyone took their shoulder pads off and walked off the field. The mental part of it, they believed that this game is over and we had no opportunity to win. That's something I don't condone and as a player, I didn't want teammates to think that way. It's just a few. You are never talking to the whole group."
When asked if he was reprimanded by his superiors — athletic director Kevin Anderson and superintendent Franklin Hagenbeck — for his comments, Brock said, "What I said and what has been quoted are two totally different things. What I said was there were some players who I felt quit and what was quoted is different from that. I've been asked to clarify what I said because they read it somewhere else."
Is his team in turmoil?
"I strongly disagree with that," said Brock, whose team has started the season with two straight home losses.
Brock also received a vote of confidence from Anderson at a press conference Wednesday about Army's affiliation with the EagleBank Bowl in Washington, D.C.
"People who know where this football program is and where it's going are the guys that are associated with us all the time.," Brock said. "The players we have here and the coaching staff we have here, we're in a challenging situation and these kids are getting ready to answer the bell."
In fact, Brock said Army's best practices have come this week. Have McIntosh and Mealy's departures affected the team?
"No, I don't," Brock said. "We've had excellent practices and we'll have another one today, I'm sure. The kids are totally committed to winning."
Any lingering issues about his comments were talked out in a team meeting Sunday, Brock said. He also said no suspensions or benchings were issued following the loss to New Hampshire.
"We have open discussions and we talk," Brock said. "We have a 24-hour rule and we go. I think the captains and the seniors have done a great job of setting an example for everybody in how we practice. I think it's real good and real positive."
And it's never crossed Brock's mind if he has lost his team.
"That's not happening," Brock said. "These kids are the greatest kids in the world. There's no problem with that."

not a good situation ... thanks everyone for input on this crapper of a game .. i can eliminate this game now.

You sure? All of a sudden Akron looks good upwards of 13.5 points. This team is in shambles, and most of the players are probably confused as far as whether to back their coach and play hard or pack it up and tell him to go F himself. Push comes to shove, how does he motivate them??

Where is the O/U set?

I got so much info on this play for Army to get killed I warned everyone on Covers when this came out at -7 and I bet 5 unit play which is my max on this. Probably my Play of the Year. Army lost too much there quarterback is hurt, there RB quit and there best recruit ever quit.

pimpdaddy can you elaborate please? army is one team i know virtually nothing about (besides they suck), but i know a lot about akron, and i think it's nuts that they'd be favored on the road by this much to even a co-ed flag football team...maybe some of your army info will clarify my thinking before the game so i can watch out for some things to expect. thanks man

Back