After one week of the NFL season what have we learned?

Great job by several in this thread.

I'll have some Lions-Jets thoughts in the morning.

Lions thoughts...

-The defense is bad, really bad. We knew the run game would struggle but the pass defense looks pretty bad as well. This, is just not a good defense.

-When it rains, it pours. I am not down on Staff at all. It was weird to me he didn't go through progressions a few times or we would have scored around 31-34 points, which is scary.

-Kerryon looked solid.

-Galladay is blossoming. The receivers are very good.

-More hurry up please. That is what Staff does best. Look at the FG before half and the drive to start the 3rd. They were in perfect rhythm.

-Guys seemed to quit a bit

-Prater is awful

-Home crowd will turn on them all year at any moment. There could be some very ugly games

Lions betting going forward.... OVERS...2H Lions TT's. Obviously you can look at the opponents numbers as well.

Jets Thoughts:

-Weird first play. I assume that was a designed play? You could see that pick 6 coming, plus that was the end of stadium I was at.

-Darnold is a cool customer

-Kudos to the Jets for letting him 'play' instead of getting conservative in a hostile atmosphere early on.

wise, you know Rodgers isn't out for the year, right?

Come Sunday I have a feeling we're going to be told there's a torn ACL or MCL. He played for a season with a tear in high school before going to college if I recall correctly. The whole "can't get any worse: thing makes me think something is majorly messed up and he's going to try to play through it for this season.

I sense the beginning of the decline for ARod. Playing on one leg is going to alter his throwing style....next we'll hear about arm problems.

Was at the Cowboys-Panthers game. Lot of focus on the sorry offensive production for Dallas....Ty Smith did not have a good day, which set the tone for a bad day on the ground. Dak doesn't appear to have confidence or chemistry with anyone not named Beasley, and Cole isn't good enough to carry the load. A lot of indecisive from Dak when he did get ample time, and seemed reluctant to tuck and run. Tight ends trying to fill Witten's size 12 shoes all have size 6 feet. Kuechly was a beast on the day, severely outclassing Sean Lee, who whiffed on McCaffrey more than once.

Cam on the other hand is back to his running ways. They ran the RPO to death, with a lot of success, as the Cowboys ends were pretty undisciplined all day. McCaffrey was given a ton of free releases and the Cowboy linebackers just did not close on him quick enough, which is something other teams won't be as quick to allow. Spoiler alert on McCaffrey: Cam took one goal line TD and the fullback vultured the other one. I sense this will be pretty typical.

On the plus side for Dallas, their pass rush was decent and despite an offense that failed to cross the 50 until the 3rd quarter the D hung in pretty well.....one TD drive started at the Dallas 35. You give up essentially 17 points you should be in a position to win. Panthers had the fewest points in victory this week. As I said much of the Panthers O was with RPO's.....I think they'll be able to frustrate a pocket guy like Eli this Sunday.

PS - Naturally the one post game officiating story I see says the NFL botched a call that favored the Steelers. Color me surprised, not. Probably this guy againstealer.jpg:

Last edited:
Rams LBs are weak and there is miscommunication going on with their MLB Littleton. Without Barron, the Rams have all special team backup type LBs. Raiders exploided it several times with TE Cook. Rams offense will score at will with all their weapons. The Rams have become a must watch every Sunday.
Raiders oline looked good but they seemed to be in max protection which limited their offense. Never heard Cooper's name. Raiders DBs, LBs are weak. Gruden is in for a long year if Carr is going to play scared.

@B.A.R.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A number of Jets defenders said they knew what plays the Lions were going to run based on formation and Stafford hand signals. Allowed them to jump routes, get five picks.</p>&mdash; Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) <a href=" ">September 11, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Something to watch for ► <br>Chiefs RB-pass defense:<br>On all downs (18 targets)<br>• Allowed 61% success &amp; 10.5 YPA<br>On early downs (15 targets)<br>• Allowed 73% success &amp; 12.1 YPA <br><br>Last week, PIT recorded 80% success &amp; 10.2 YPA on 5 early down RB passes<br>via <a href="https://t.co/ODCrt3zCOd">https://t.co/ODCrt3zCOd</a> <a href="https://t.co/fZVVOWRbT7">pic.twitter.com/fZVVOWRbT7</a></p>&mdash; Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) <a href=" ">September 10, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This Cowboys drive chart is what nightmares are made of. Dallas was lucky they weren&#39;t blown out. 5 red zone trips for Carolina, only 1 for Dallas. Remarkable Carolina won by only one score. <a href="https://t.co/nFNdKQED3H">pic.twitter.com/nFNdKQED3H</a></p>&mdash; Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) <a href=" ">September 10, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will dedicate either my next meal from Arby's or successful wager on the Brewers--whatever comes first-- to Fondy

Come Sunday I have a feeling we're going to be told there's a torn ACL or MCL. He played for a season with a tear in high school before going to college if I recall correctly. The whole "can't get any worse: thing makes me think something is majorly messed up and he's going to try to play through it for this season.
If he's a statue this week he will get killed. Period.

He seems to have this game circled on his calendar. We all understand why, but it's dumb to go out there and in all likelihood will get beat like a drum unless he throws 1 step slants all game.

If he's a statue this week he will get killed. Period.

He seems to have this game circled on his calendar. We all understand why, but it's dumb to go out there and in all likelihood will get beat like a drum unless he throws 1 step slants all game.

Good thing Packers have a power running game they can rely upon /sarcasm

Gonna be a lot of purple at this game. lots of friends heading down this weekend. Its the first time in forever we haven't played there in December.

"PIT completely ignored the short middle of the field against the Browns & Ben had a horrific day in the rain."

It's been the book on Ben since year 1, take away the middle and force him to throw outside the numbers. I remember Parcells employing that strategy with an undermanned Cowboys years ago. Haley got good at designing underneath crossing routes for him with AB and Bryant doing all the work after a simple throw. Wonder if the new coordinator is getting away from that.

Rams LBs are weak and there is miscommunication going on with their MLB Littleton. Without Barron, the Rams have all special team backup type LBs. Raiders exploided it several times with TE Cook. Rams offense will score at will with all their weapons. The Rams have become a must watch every Sunday.
Raiders oline looked good but they seemed to be in max protection which limited their offense. Never heard Cooper's name. Raiders DBs, LBs are weak. Gruden is in for a long year if Carr is going to play scared.

its a cool feeling to see ur team becoming something special isn't it? enjoy the ride, I have a feeling there will be multiple big matchups between our teams in the coming years

its a cool feeling to see ur team becoming something special isn't it? enjoy the ride, I have a feeling there will be multiple big matchups between our teams in the coming years
D, we've had so many years of losing that I'm much more grateful just to be in a positive discussion. They've become a Must Watch

Here's what Bill Belichick's disciples never seem to get right when they attempt to grow beyond the shadow of his coaching tree: the Patriots Way only works for the Patriots.
From Charlie Weiss to Eric Mangini to Josh McDaniels and perhaps now Matt Patricia, the same insults followed each of Belichick's former coaches on the road to failure: aloof, arrogant, overbearing, controlling, inflexible.
Patricia is just the latest, with veterans in Detroit already grumbling about his brutal practices and draconian social media policies in the wake of Monday night's embarrassing 48-17 loss to the Jets at home.
But he's by no means the first. Weiss went to Notre Dame and immediately burned bridges. Alumni like Bob Kuechenberg hated him for marginalizing them. Players tuned him out for bragging about his Xs-and-Os prowess. Notre Dame foolishly rewarded him with a 10-year extension just seven games into his debut season; by year three, the Irish were 3-9. He was fired halfway through his deal with a record of 35-27 and one bowl win (the Hawaii Bowl, for those keeping score). The Irish paid him nearly $20 million after blasting him out the airlock.
Weiss then went to Kansas and lost 22 of 28 games before being fired in 2014.
McDaniels replaced Mike Shanahan in Denver in 2009 and immediately ruffled feathers by exploring a trade of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler. Word reached Cutler and permanently poisoned their relationship. McDaniels shipped him to the Bears for journeyman Kyle Orton.
That said, McDaniels still went 6-0 -- beating Belichick and the Patriots -- to open his rookie campaign at age 33. He went 5-17 thereafter, however, before being fired 12 games into 2010. The Broncos gave him too much power and McDaniels squandered it. He clashed with defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and fired him. Players decried the joyless atmosphere. He misfired on some notable draft picks, chiefly quarterback Tim Tebow in the first round.
"Josh was that type of guy that to me, made football tougher than it had to be," linebacker D.J. Williams told Denver.com. "It's already so tough. And what I didn't like about him was our fun was scripted. So it's not really fun, it's not really enjoyable. It's like, 'Hey, look at us right now, we're enjoying ourselves, and we got ten minutes free time.'"
Then there's Mangini. He took New York by storm, earning a cameo on The Sopranos as "Mangenius." But it didn't last. From 10-6 with a victory over the Patriots in 2006 to 4-12 a year later, Mangini was fired after missing the playoffs following an 8-3 start in 2008.
Jets players balked at long practices and being forced outside on cold, miserable days. They felt stifled by Mangini's micromanagement and found it difficult to thrive in a tense, gloomy atmosphere.
"Even though we were winning, it was dreadful at times," tight end Chris Baker told the New York Times after Mangini's ouster. "That first year he was here took some years off your life."
If Mangini learned a lesson, it wasn't apparent in Cleveland, where he went 10-22, dropping his lifetime coaching record to 33-47. It's doubtful he'll get a third shot.
While Weis will never be considered remotely cuddly, Mangini and McDaniels were young and personable when hired. Neither is misanthropic, particularly McDaniels, who will almost certainly do a better job the second time around (assuming anyone wants to hire him after the stunt he pulled on Indy last February). They could've taken the route of Rams wunderkind Sean McVay, who has inspired with limitless energy and enthusiasm.
Instead they tried to make themselves Belichick, whose hoody-shrouded glare masks a more sarcastic private persona. Such an approach was inevitably doomed to failure. Even Belichick had to earn the right to bark, "Do your job." His motivational technique works because even if players hate it, it feels genuine.
The same can't be said for most of his tree. Broncos players didn't feel moved to play hard for McDaniels when times got tough. The Jets folded on Mangini in 2010. Weis left Notre Dame with a reputation for condescension.
(These criticisms don't necessarily apply to Romeo Crennel, though his 28-55 record is the worst of Belichick's assistants. Nor do they stick to Texans head man Bill O'Brien, a decent communicator who nonetheless failed to take ownership of his monumental screwup before the half on Sunday, when he failed to call timeout to give officials time to review a borderline Rob Gronkowski catch.)
Now we hear Patricia facing similar dissatisfaction. Some of that undoubtedly traces to the Lions being a loser organization with just one playoff win since the AFL-NFL merger. But part of it could be his approach.
As he stood on the sidelines with his arms folded and Monday's game imploding all around him, Patricia looked like a man on an island.

Week 2 leans:

MIN +1.5
KC +5

those two "jumped" at me as soon as I saw them. "Chefs" are now down to +4 1/2 @ Steelers and Vikings @ Packers off the board with Aaron Rogers status questions. AND I see NO reason to NOT bet the Broncos @ Denver -5 1/2. the Raiders showed they STILL stink on Monday Night. they pay Derek Carr HOW much money to throw interceptions ??? "Chucky's" boys looked like a god damn disorganized MOB the 2nd half :mad:

Last edited:
those two "jumped" at me as soon as I saw them. "Chefs" are now down to +4 1/2 @ Steelers and Vikings @ Packers off the board with Aaron Rogers status questions. AND I see NO reason to NOT bet the Broncos @ Denver -5 1/2. the Raiders showed they STILL stink on Monday Night. they pay Derek Carr HOW much money to throw interceptions ??? "Chucky's" boys looked like a god damn disorganized MOB the 2nd half :mad:

I took MIN the second that line came out.

B,A,R, i learned that CHOPIN is alot better the belverdere not even close this vodka is a bad MF

Back