***AFC Divisional Playoff Discussion***

That is true, never understood why they schedule Sat prime time when people are out but not Sunday when everyone is home

more people are out saturday afternoon

one demographic might be out more saturday night, but a saturday night games ratings (with a comparable matchup) will always be higher than saturday day

Well yeah, Saturday in general will never touch any time of day on Sunday, but Sunday night is a no brainer. Obviously early Sunday is way more desirable than early Saturday. If attention spans were better they could do 3 Sunday games especially this time of year when people aren't out much on Sunday in general

When I sit down and watch a 1:00 game on Saturday or Sunday, I get the stink eye from the wife. She doesn't know a divisional playoff game from summer league NBA, so I get no sympathy for the "big game" excuse. I appreciate the evening start times.

Thing that sucks for those of us that will be in attendance, and tailgate hard, is that we won't get to watch the first game.

Guess that was true for fans attending the other game before but fuck them, I am selfish.

Thing that sucks for those of us that will be in attendance, and tailgate hard, is that we won't get to watch the first game.

No one brings a TV with them? With the technology today, this is easier than ever. I remember when people would have the rabbit ears out to get the game on a TV, but now it's just so much easier to get access to the games.

Have to imagine that if no one in your tailgating group bring one, it shouldn't be too hard to find some nice setups. At least, it's not that hard here but tailgating is great here. Pretty sure KC is at the top of the list as far as tailgating goes as well...so hopefully you'll be able to watch the game while tailgating.

The ice storm might derail the tailgating a bit, but I'm sure they'll manage.

It is kinda bullshit, now instead of playing in ice, 70,000+ people are gonna be driving to Arrowhead in it

I would think a contributing factor would be the full extra day the Saturday team gets in prep for next week. Move it later on Sunday it further handicaps the late game winner. It's only 4 hours but its still something I look at.

It is kinda bullshit, now instead of playing in ice, 70,000+ people are gonna be driving to Arrowhead in it

Maybe. Or, it's gonna be just like it would be in Buffalo and they'll get there at the same time they were going to for a 1pm game...and just be that much more 'juiced up' for the game.

ya it has me thinking why dont they do it like this no matter what

ratings at night will crush

On a Sunday night? When people on the east Coast have to possibly wake up five hours after the game ends to go to work? I think this blows. I won't stay up to watch it. Sure the true fans of either team will but I think there will be fewer viewers versus if this stayed at 1:00.

they are changing it because its going to be safer to get to the stadium before the game later in the day

is NBC popping champagne because of it of course, but their actual reasons were public safety

On a Sunday night? When people on the east Coast have to possibly wake up five hours after the game ends to go to work? I think this blows. I won't stay up to watch it. Sure the true fans of either team will but I think there will be fewer viewers versus if this stayed at 1:00.

sunday night football all season is the highest rated game of the week

its the highest rated show on television, it starts at the time when this game is going to start

I was basing it off the forecast above, when it says the light rain and temp at 32 was due for the 2nd half, which is now about the time the fans will be heading out to the stadium. I do trust that the NFL and NWS were watching this stuff closely and that was the decision for this, just hope it doesn't backfire. Obv rather drive in snow than freezing rain 8 days a week

I don't get how it has such high ratings. I would think most are footballed out by then unless it's their team. Personally this is my least favorite time slot of all. Sunday nights/Monday mornings suck badly enough as is for most working stiffs. The last thing I need is to be up til midnight to make a bad situation even worse.

I love the Saturday night playoff games. I'm a home-body anyways so allows me to get tuned up & not worry about the next day.

Its supposed to go all morning, so the fans would be driving in it anyways. Now they will supposedly have time to treat the roads, and it is supposed to let up about 1

it also sounds like the weather was going to be at the point where it effected the game to make it pointless

like that iggles game a few years ago, or fog game

I love a snow game because of the look, but the best looking snow games are when the field is clearly white but the players can still move around and it ssunny to see the ball

I found that Notre Dame/NC St game one of the most watchable games of the year in CFB, it's fascinating to me even though it "ruined" the game. Of course, the Cardinals were eliminated from the playoffs in one of those this season in Miami (not that they deserved anything).

I like that about football, shit weather games are part of the history of the sport

I found that Notre Dame/NC St game one of the most watchable games of the year in CFB, it's fascinating to me even though it "ruined" the game. Of course, the Cardinals were eliminated from the playoffs in one of those this season in Miami (not that they deserved anything).

I like that about football, shit weather games are part of the history of the sport

Agreed. That's why I hate the Super Bowl being at a neutral site.

The ice storm might derail the tailgating a bit, but I'm sure they'll manage.

Parking lot opens at 2:00 CST. I presume they will do ok out there. It was originally opening at 6:30 AM.

Sold my tickets earlier in the week. Wish I had waited. Primetime will fetch a little more even late in the week.

they are changing it because its going to be safer to get to the stadium before the game later in the day

is NBC popping champagne because of it of course, but their actual reasons were public safety

How lucky is it that NBC had the 1pm Sunday game? That was weird in itself(and not one of the Saturday games).

Total has moved up from 43.5 to 44.5 since announcement but no change in the line, doubt it means much. That move was obviously just a weather move, should be a cold one after dark

How lucky is it that NBC had the 1pm Sunday game? That was weird in itself(and not one of the Saturday games).

ya I had to double check that it was them when I saw it on twitter

I always had in my mind sundays were CBS/FOX, saturdays were NBC + one other, ESPN wild card weekend, then fox or cbs divisional

Agreed. That's why I hate the Super Bowl being at a neutral site.

imagine how pissed people would be to drop $2k on a football game and get rained on all night

More importantly, who does this all benefit Sunday night? Is there an advantage either way?

hate to break it to ya Cap, as a CTG pool has me firmly rooting for KC here, but i would think bad weather and a slippery surface means less points and the big play team is PIT. One DB slips on a double-move and Brown goes 85 for a touchdown and then you're in quite a hole

That is true, never understood why they schedule Sat prime time when people are out but not Sunday when everyone is home

i thought it was a church thing

imagine how pissed people would be to drop $2k on a football game and get rained on all night

Sure but it doesn't have to be a corporate event. No fan of the team playing the SB at home would be complaining about dropping whatever on a ticket because of the elements.

The worst ice is supposed to be overnight Saturday night so the moving back of the game gives it time to melt as Sunday temps should be mid 30's + get the streets cleaned up....dont think it had anything to do with game weather. Should be 30's and raining either time. Flying back tomorrow just hope they dont cancel flights. Go Chiefs.

Death, taxes, and Andy Reid off a bye.

Everyone is acutely aware of how Andy Reid manages success during the regular season, with the mustachioed coach going 16-2 with the Chiefs andEagles when given an extra week to prepare for an opponent.

But the success actually carries over to the postseason as well. Reid has acquired a bye week in the playoffs just four times in his 18-year career (which is really just proof of how hard it is to get a bye in the NFL). And in those four years, with 2016 pending, he's undefeated.

[TABLE="width: 540"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Team[/TD]
[TD]Year[/TD]
[TD]Opponent[/TD]
[TD]Line[/TD]
[TD]Opp. PPG (Rank)[/TD]
[TD]Turnover Diff.[/TD]
[TD]Score (Result)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]2002[/TD]
[TD]ATL[/TD]
[TD]PHI -7.5[/TD]
[TD]25.1 (5th)[/TD]
[TD]+2[/TD]
[TD]20-6 (W)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]2003[/TD]
[TD]GB[/TD]
[TD]PHI -4.0[/TD]
[TD]27.6 (4th)[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]20-17 (W-OT)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eagles[/TD]
[TD]2004[/TD]
[TD]MIN[/TD]
[TD]PHI -8.0[/TD]
[TD]25.3 (6th)[/TD]
[TD]+1[/TD]
[TD]27-14 (W)[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
The biggest thing that stood out here? What a set of opponents that was for Reid's defense. That's the Michael Vick-led Falcons, the Brett Favre-ledPackers and the Daunte Culpepper/Randy Moss-led Vikings in three straight seasons to start the playoffs.
These were all top-10 offenses in the respective years that Reid's teams played them. Holding those three teams to a total of 37 points in three different years is a remarkable feat.
The Steelers will be no different, with Pittsburgh coming in as the 10th-highest scoring offense, a number that probably belies their real ability to put up points. When Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell are on the same field, the Steelers are one of the most dangerous offenses you'll see in the league.
It's worth noting that Reid's previous three postseason byes were over a decade ago and he had the help of late defensive coordinator Jim Johnson.

I'm kind of getting a 27-zip vibe from the Pats game tonight. Think I'm going to lay the points.

Houston team total is 13.5 and juiced over, hard to see them get there without a defensive TD

Pats go up 14-0, Houston will curl up and roll over. Back door will be locked. I think this is a rout.

Only one prop for me so far:

James Harrison Over 4.5 solo+assisted tackles -120

Had 10, 11, 9 past 3.

Showers this afternoon and then again around 9pm but temps on the rise....blowers on the field to dry it out right now. Chiefs played about 5-6 rain games this year.

I read Chiefs lost last 4 playoff games at arrowhead

Obviously has nothing to do with todays game, was just shocked

is this their best team?

Yes. The 2003 team was unreal on offense but there was no balance. This is the most complete team they have fielded in my 30+years of fandom. Hat tip to the Montana AFC title squad and the 97 squad.

As an aside:

On BOL

Atlanta -4 vs GB
Dallas -3 vs Atlanta

NE -6.5 vs KC
NE -5.5 vs Pitt

So grab it now if you like NE because I think we will see some 7's once everyone continues to assume last night was some fluke that will be repaired. Just my opinion.

Cap......I wanna bet KC late. You think they do it?
I'm pulling for em......but I want to make money on it too bro!

If the books had that much faith in Fat Andy off a bye they'd have made this spread -4...

Back