AFC Divisional Playoff Discussion: Titans at Ravens

This one should be fun. Let down for Tits? Haven’t played this year, not sure about last year since LJ took over. Best way to attack BAL is via ground. Perhaps can sneak one or two by Peters to AJB if he gambles but those Ravens corners are nasty and Tanney looked more like the MIA version tonight. Anything possible with Henry but LJ should feast here. And with a decent deficit, DH negated and probably gets ugly.

This one should be fun. Let down for Tits? Haven’t played this year, not sure about last year since LJ took over. Best way to attack BAL is via ground. Perhaps can sneak one or two by Peters to AJB if he gambles but those Ravens corners are nasty and Tanney looked more like the MIA version tonight. Anything possible with Henry but LJ should feast here. And with a decent deficit, DH negated and probably gets ugly.

Doubt there is a Titan letdown, they’ve basically been playing playoff games every week since Tannehill took over just to get into the playoffs and Vrabel won’t let them just be satisfied to be here.

They played last year, a very ugly 21-0 Balt win. Hard to take a lot of stock in that though. Balt had Flacco starting, and obviously are much different with Lamar. Their offense wasn’t great, but did enough. It was more their defense that dominated and tenn lack of offense. Mariota was the starter, was under constant pressure, I think Balt had 12 sacks (partially scheme, partially Mariota’s tendency to hold the ball too long) and Henry only had 7 carries, he will prob have that in the 1st q on sat.

I’d expect this week Tenn will have a plan to deal w the ravens pressures and a better offensive game plan both from the OL standpoint and pounding Henry, quick throws and getting the ball out and utilizing AJ Brown in space.

Certainly is a tough spot but I do think they can hang in here and keep it close and give them a chance to win, but will have to be better than they were against NE to pull it off.

Let down unlikely, especially in playoffs but ending Pats reign is reason to celebrate for a young core.

Good note on last years game, meaning it’s completely useless for various reasons you described.

We will need Tannehill to throw for more than 72 yards to win this game. He made the plays he had to, the TD pass and 3rd down conversion late both to Firsker, and a key 3rd down run for a 1st down, but he was a bit shaky. Bad interception, the bobbled 3rd down snap, can’t do that next week.

Both teams are scary in their own right. I think the Ravens could score every time down the field unfortunately.
Going to New England and winning was a huge achievement. This, to me, is not the same animal in the slightest bit. Titans will have to be perfect.

Titans 3rd road game in a row and basically 3rd road playoff game in a row as they needed to win W17. Very, very bad spot.

Well aware of Baltimore's record and stats/metrics/point differentials but the reality is we have not seen Lamar in a big spot and needing to pass to the worst WR corps in the playoffs basically all season. I'm still not sold on them. Titans can run the ball and stop the run. It's what is needed vs the Ravens. The spot is just brutal but Vrabel has these guys buying in and locked in. Think they use the win in NE as a major confidence game and compete here. I took 10.

10 felt high so I took it. This Titans team has played well as a dog all year, team as dominant as the Ravens often gets assessed a tax by the book since they know people love betting them anyway.

Doubt there is a Titan letdown, they’ve basically been playing playoff games every week since Tannehill took over just to get into the playoffs and Vrabel won’t let them just be satisfied to be here.

They played last year, a very ugly 21-0 Balt win. Hard to take a lot of stock in that though. Balt had Flacco starting, and obviously are much different with Lamar. Their offense wasn’t great, but did enough. It was more their defense that dominated and tenn lack of offense. Mariota was the starter, was under constant pressure, I think Balt had 12 sacks (partially scheme, partially Mariota’s tendency to hold the ball too long) and Henry only had 7 carries, he will prob have that in the 1st q on sat.

I’d expect this week Tenn will have a plan to deal w the ravens pressures and a better offensive game plan both from the OL standpoint and pounding Henry, quick throws and getting the ball out and utilizing AJ Brown in space.

Certainly is a tough spot but I do think they can hang in here and keep it close and give them a chance to win, but will have to be better than they were against NE to pull it off.

Titans haven’t been any better protecting tannenhill tho. They seem to struggle pretty bad in that area.

I love the way it sets up. Team that lives in a fishbowl city hearing how great they are for a few months and how the Super Bowl is inevitable. I think the chances of a team coming out as tight as a drum is very likely in the scenario. Karma is going to pay back the crows for 2000 and 2008.

Titans haven’t been any better protecting tannenhill tho. They seem to struggle pretty bad in that area.

Their OL is definitely geared more towards run blocking than pass. The difference has been Tannehill has been more decisive w the football than Marcus was, trusting his guys to make plays, forcing teams to at least respect the threat of a downfield passing game

How about if he runs for 72?
I'd think any team works to stop Henry and take their chances with Ryan . He can run, if he gets hurt it's not like Josh McCown is coming in for him.

He’s not gonna run for 72 yards. He might carry it a few times on RPO type schemes but he’s not gonna tote it like Lamar.

I love the way it sets up. Team that lives in a fishbowl city hearing how great they are for a few months and how the Super Bowl is inevitable. I think the chances of a team coming out as tight as a drum is very likely in the scenario. Karma is going to pay back the crows for 2000 and 2008.

I gotta say it sounds a lot to me like you wanting to convince yourself as a fan. No disrespect intended id love to hear some your talking points as I’m sure you know titans better than me. I think this statement is a bunch of incredibly wishful thinking tho. This ravens team does not strike me as a team that gonna play tight whatsoever. They have a coach who been here and done it, and they have a mentality that I would not expect lends itself to playing tight.

I would agree the bye week along with resting guys week 17 wasn’t the best thing for this team. I mentioned before week 17 I understood sitting guys but at same time it a bummer to have that break when a team rolling like they were. That could certainly lead to them not being as sharp early, I just disagree with the idea if titans come out strong ravens will tighten up or fold.

I do think titans have the type of offense, coaching, mentality to play with balty. I definitely dont think they will be bullied/physically overwhelmed like some teams are right from the jump. Titans are gonna have to run some type of screens, misdirection, any kind of blitz beaters cause there no doubt to me ravens will remain ultra aggressive on D just with their blitzes being more designed to jam up the run game early. I think there will be some big plays to be made on early downs if titans can get tannenhill enough time to make them? Can they? Titans pass protection not a strength far as I can tell. Ravens defense changed significantly after smith got healthy and they brought peters in and they still were near the top of qb his despite those guys not playing 1st month plus.

These the best 2 offenses in league in terms of red zone but ravens d is 3rd in the league in opponent red zone td percentage while titans are 30th. Ravens have possibly the best kicker in history while am I reading this correct that titans dead last in fg percentage? That not good, is that 44% conversion rate a typo?? Jfc!

I’m super curious what titans come up with to try and stop this offense but I honestly just don’t see them having a ton of success. Ravens made the right move in picking the OC for Lamar and they just so tough to stop with having to account for Lamar gives them a built in numbers advantage at the point of attack. Niners and bills were the only 2 teams to even remotely hold them in check and they still scored 20 on niners in very tough conditions and 24 on bills. How titans keep them under 27 is beyond me?

Their OL is definitely geared more towards run blocking than pass. The difference has been Tannehill has been more decisive w the football than Marcus was, trusting his guys to make plays, forcing teams to at least respect the threat of a downfield passing game

I do think that one thing they gonna have to do to have a shot in this game, hit at least one or 2 big plays in the pass game early on. Unless titans can just absolutely dominate time of possession I think they gonna have to score at least 30 to win this game.

I do think that one thing they gonna have to do to have a shot in this game, hit at least one or 2 big plays in the pass game early on. Unless titans can just absolutely dominate time of possession I think they gonna have to score at least 30 to win this game.

I’d tend to agree w you and they’ve done that every game except the pats game. They won’t contain Balt, it’ll take 28-30 or more to beat them unless they can just pound it w Henry and get 4,5,6 yards a pop and then he breaks one.

I gotta say it sounds a lot to me like you wanting to convince yourself as a fan. No disrespect intended id love to hear some your talking points as I’m sure you know titans better than me. I think this statement is a bunch of incredibly wishful thinking tho. This ravens team does not strike me as a team that gonna play tight whatsoever. They have a coach who been here and done it, and they have a mentality that I would not expect lends itself to playing tight.

I would agree the bye week along with resting guys week 17 wasn’t the best thing for this team. I mentioned before week 17 I understood sitting guys but at same time it a bummer to have that break when a team rolling like they were. That could certainly lead to them not being as sharp early, I just disagree with the idea if titans come out strong ravens will tighten up or fold.

I do think titans have the type of offense, coaching, mentality to play with balty. I definitely dont think they will be bullied/physically overwhelmed like some teams are right from the jump. Titans are gonna have to run some type of screens, misdirection, any kind of blitz beaters cause there no doubt to me ravens will remain ultra aggressive on D just with their blitzes being more designed to jam up the run game early. I think there will be some big plays to be made on early downs if titans can get tannenhill enough time to make them? Can they? Titans pass protection not a strength far as I can tell. Ravens defense changed significantly after smith got healthy and they brought peters in and they still were near the top of qb his despite those guys not playing 1st month plus.

These the best 2 offenses in league in terms of red zone but ravens d is 3rd in the league in opponent red zone td percentage while titans are 30th. Ravens have possibly the best kicker in history while am I reading this correct that titans dead last in fg percentage? That not good, is that 44% conversion rate a typo?? Jfc!

I’m super curious what titans come up with to try and stop this offense but I honestly just don’t see them having a ton of success. Ravens made the right move in picking the OC for Lamar and they just so tough to stop with having to account for Lamar gives them a built in numbers advantage at the point of attack. Niners and bills were the only 2 teams to even remotely hold them in check and they still scored 20 on niners in very tough conditions and 24 on bills. How titans keep them under 27 is beyond me?

Yes FG kicking has been a problem. Succop is our kIcker, a good one to, but put on IR and the first kicker was a disaster, the Succop tried to play but clearly wasn’t healthy, and out 3rd kicker has yet to try a fg lol

Titans kicker situation only thing keeping me off the over. Weather may be bad but the Ravens could run in any condition, total dipped to 46.5. As much as the Titans may WANT to play keep away, everything changes if the Ravens put up a quick 14. I just don't see a scenario where the Titans D schemes up enough plays to hold the Ravens offense down. I just keep thinking about the Tenn/Saints game and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens put up 35+. I'm not a fan of laying heavy chalk in a playoff game though.

@2daBank We'll see. Ravens haven't played a close game in a long time. Anything could happen in this game from a result perspective and I wouldn't be too shocked. You could be right. Maybe the Titans blew their wad last week and the Ravens will be rested up and handle it well. It's just a different week than a regular season game. With essentially three weeks off and playing a team that's been in win or die mode since week 7. This is not a typical 9-7 team in terms of ability.The idea that the Titans are +350ish with this running game is absolutely laughable to me. I know they have a huge advantage at kicker but if the game is tight then I fully expect the Titans to win it late.

It's still a few days away, but the forecast is calling for 40% chance of rain and winds in the mid-teens.

Something worth watching...

@2daBank We'll see. Ravens haven't played a close game in a long time. Anything could happen in this game from a result perspective and I wouldn't be too shocked. You could be right. Maybe the Titans blew their wad last week and the Ravens will be rested up and handle it well. It's just a different week than a regular season game. With essentially three weeks off and playing a team that's been in win or die mode since week 7. This is not a typical 9-7 team in terms of ability.The idea that the Titans are +350ish with this running game is absolutely laughable to me. I know they have a huge advantage at kicker but if the game is tight then I fully expect the Titans to win it late.

The Bills took the Ravens down to the wire on 12/8...

Ravens might be little overpriced: you certainly think super highly of your squad tho! We must be watching a different set of games cause titans don’t look all that special to me and certainly didn’t in beating the washed up pats by a point (think I recall ravens crushing that team!) who lets be real beat themselves. I watched titans when all the chips were on the table at home vs Houston for the division (another team ravens destroyed) and get beat. It mind boggling to me you making this team out as any different than any other 9-7 WC team. Yes they have a great run game, and nothing else that special imo. Ravens run game better along with every other facet of their overall team. Where are titans more talented??

The Bills took the Ravens down to the wire on 12/8...

If we comparing each teams games it not even close. ravens had big lead on bills, bills didn’t exactly play with them the entire way., id also suggest (at risk of certain fans bias flaring up) bills defense light years better than titans and ravens still scored 24 in buffalo on a windy ass day if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
If we are talking, "stay within the number", I think everything being said by the guys who know the Titans is good stuff... If we are talking Titans ML here, I am far more inclined to look at the game the way @2daBank is seeing it.

Don't get me wrong. I would absolutely love to see the Titans win. Love. Would pay everyone here to make it happen. I just am struggling to see a scenario in which they can control this game for four whole quarters. In the last 12 games, the Ravens have trailed for approx 42 minutes. And 20 of them came in the Browns and Steelers games to wrap the season. It's going to be tough.

Money coming in on the Titans, not sure if we will see a non-juiced 10 again. But I'd consider it there.

If we are talking, "stay within the number", I think everything being said by the guys who know the Titans is good stuff... If we are talking Titans ML here, I am far more inclined to look at the game the way @2daBank is seeing it.

Don't get me wrong. I would absolutely love to see the Titans win. Love. Would pay everyone here to make it happen. I just am struggling to see a scenario in which they can control this game for four whole quarters. In the last 12 games, the Ravens have trailed for approx 42 minutes. And 20 of them came in the Browns and Steelers games to wrap the season. It's going to be tough.

Money coming in on the Titans, not sure if we will see a non-juiced 10 again. But I'd consider it there.

I bet you are!! Tell us why you wanna see titans knock them off Cap!!! Could it be cause that all but puts kc in super bowl?? Lol. I know titans don’t scare you. They are in fact a typical 9-7 wc team imo.

Seeing close games or even dogs win in all the other games would not surprise me in the least. This one would shock the shit out of me. Baltimore is the only fave of the four I put in my sweetheart tease for the weekend.

Ravens might be little overpriced: you certainly think super highly of your squad tho! We must be watching a different set of games cause titans don’t look all that special to me and certainly didn’t in beating the washed up pats by a point (think I recall ravens crushing that team!) who lets be real beat themselves. I watched titans when all the chips were on the table at home vs Houston for the division (another team ravens destroyed) and get beat. It mind boggling to me you making this team out as any different than any other 9-7 WC team. Yes they have a great run game, and nothing else that special imo. Ravens run game better along with every other facet of their overall team. Where are titans more talented??

Patriots actually had a very clever game-plan in that they schemed to take away the play action. They figured Henry would get the yards anyway. Belichick thought we'll let them drive between the twenties and hope to stall the drive out and put an unseasoned field goal kicker out there.

I wouldn't read a ton into the Houston game. The tipped INT that led to a Houston touchdown was essentially a 21 point swing. This team is 8-3, averaging 30 ppg with Tannehill at QB. If you think the Titans offense is a fluke more power to you but the numbers are fairly clear that it's a very good unit. If you think this is a typical 9-7 cannon fodder team, feel free to think that but it's nuts.
If you want to be stupid with comparative scoring. Titans destroyed Cleveland and the Browns destroyed the Ravens in their first game. Obviously totally meaningless.

Ravens are a better team but so were the Saints coming into last weeks game against Minnesota. The better team doesn't always win.

Cool so we gonna get disrespectful now? Silly me thinking we could have a discussion without typical fan boy reactions, fitting for a typical WC team. Talk about stupid, basing titans offense off of only with tannenhill then turning around and talk about any ravens game before jimmy smith or peters was on the field (1st browns game).

Let’s get really stupid and pretend as if there any favorable comparison between them in scoring margin. Ravens +15.6 a game, titans +4.6. If we not being stupid we would conclude it pointless to dismiss games before tannwnhilll but not do the same In games before smith and Peters.

Since we gonna get stupid let’s figure out a way to dismiss Houston going to Tennessee with the division on the line and titans not scoring a point in the 1st half. All of 7 thru 3 qrtrs in a game that wasn’t as close as the final score. I’m stupid so remind me wasn’t it tannenhill’s team then?? They did follow that up with another impressive home performance where they caught saints in a bad spot and jumped out to a 14 point lead, then saints woke up and beat them 38-14 the last 3 qrtrs. Stupid me for looking at that game, I’m sure it explainable!! But hey they did whip Texans 3rd stringers in a game they got handed to get into the playoffs! How stupid of me to suggest they not even a playoff team if both teams tried that game!! Man the more I look the more I agree with you. Typical WC teams usually earn their spot. Stupid of me not to realize that! Got me there!!!

How crazy of books to suggest that clearly underrated team only has about a 22% of winning!! After all it would be stupid to hint that titans actually fortunate to have 9 wins! Forget the gift wrapped win number 9, wanna have the balls to talk about bad luck in the Houston game let’s talk about luck box wins vs kc, Tampa, and chargers where a stupid person could argue they were incredibly fortunate in all 3. A smarter person might say odds they won all 3 those games were incredibly low. So you spot on, forgive my stupidness of suggesting titans a typical 9-7 team. Now I understand you correct, they actually more like a typical 7-9 team.

You right the better team doesn’t always win, that why the line suggest they win once out of ever 4.5 times or so. Seems bout right to me but I’m stupid.

Last edited:
You might want to chill a little. I wasn't calling you stupid just that doing comparative scores is stupid as I showed with the example provided. I think that was beyond obvious from the context.

I wouldn't read much of anything into the final Titans three games. If you want to say the Saints spot was bad for New Orleans, the Titans basically rested anyone who was banged including Henry who is obviously the most important player on the team. The Saints were playing for HFA and the Titans actually couldn't change their playoff position with a win or loss. Essentially nothing more than a scrimmage for the Titans and obviously very important for New Orleans. As noted Houston rested everyone in their final game and that outcome was a foregone conclusion.

I think the +340 ML is nuts against a team that can run and control clock if the situation presents itself. It might not but I think the line is 100 off. -300/+240 is where I think it should be. GL on whatever you play.

Last edited:
If we comparing each teams games it not even close. ravens had big lead on bills, bills didn’t exactly play with them the entire way., id also suggest (at risk of certain fans bias flaring up) bills defense light years better than titans and ravens still scored 24 in buffalo on a windy ass day if I recall correctly.

Cleveland dropped 45 points on Baltimore, and they lost to KC, we beat both of them. Just sayin.

Of course that contradicts the 2-12 ATS trend I posted. Fuck I laid the 9 with Baltimore this morning.

I typically just ignore everything in the divisional rounds and just play the teams off a bye, and get paid. Most years it wins and wins easily.....

I am a fan of neither team in any way but I would argue the only player in the NFL who is more on a roll than Lamar is Henry. Look at what this guy is doing the last 7 weeks of the year. The numbers are staggering. And its not like it is anything sneaky. Teams know what is coming and they just cannot stop it. If Henry does what he has done for the past seven weeks I see no reason why the Titans can't dominate TOP and keep this game close or win outright.

Baltimore overall the much more talented team, well coached, and playing at home off a bye. Lots to like about the fave but.....
All the pressure in the world is on Lamar and for the first time in his pro career HUGE expectations are on his shoulders. He may come out and straight crush it on Saturday.... but if he struggles at all, Titans could control the game and wear this team down with 4.5 yards per carry. The most interesting matchup for the weekend for me. Cant wait to watch it..

Cleveland dropped 45 points on Baltimore, and they lost to KC, we beat both of them. Just sayin.

If we not counting titans games before tannenhill I don’t see how we gonna count ravens games before their corners were playing? Ravens destroyed Houston who beat titans at home with division on the line , beat bills in buffalo who beat titsns. Ravens hung 24 on bills in a game that I believe had fairly tough passing conditions cause of wind.

You know I was going overboard in that post and wasn’t directed at you anyways. Tend to do that when someone talks foul with me and/or when they doing same thing with the other team. Like I told you Saturday night when we were discussing I actually think titans prob the toughest matchup for ravens on the afc side, outside kc anyways who’s big play ability I think makes that matchup interesting. Titans def the closest matchup far as physicality imo.

Ravens defense since smith returning and getting peters is what has made me so high on them. No real surprise they improved throughout year as I always expect harbaughs defenses to be tough. I do think the power run game is best way to attack them tho. Just not sure if titans will be able to deal with ravens blitzes in obvious passing downs? Don’t know how effective the blitzes will be against titans run game either? I’m having a real hard time coming up with a score for titans I feel real strongly about.

I typically just ignore everything in the divisional rounds and just play the teams off a bye, and get paid. Most years it wins and wins easily.....

I am a fan of neither team in any way but I would argue the only player in the NFL who is more on a roll than Lamar is Henry. Look at what this guy is doing the last 7 weeks of the year. The numbers are staggering. And its not like it is anything sneaky. Teams know what is coming and they just cannot stop it. If Henry does what he has done for the past seven weeks I see no reason why the Titans can't dominate TOP and keep this game close or win outright.

Baltimore overall the much more talented team, well coached, and playing at home off a bye. Lots to like about the fave but.....
All the pressure in the world is on Lamar and for the first time in his pro career HUGE expectations are on his shoulders. He may come out and straight crush it on Saturday.... but if he struggles at all, Titans could control the game and wear this team down with 4.5 yards per carry. The most interesting matchup for the weekend for me. Cant wait to watch it..

Well ravens have dominated time of possession all year and titans average having ball for less than 30 min a game so not sure I would expect that. Ravens go for 5.5 per carry, run in 37x’s a game, and go for over 200 per game on ground all which tops in nfl by a mile. Titans come in 3rd in rushing yards per game and still average 64 ypg less on the ground.

Agree with the bye teams in divisional round, believe they win more than 75% of the time going all way back to 1990.

You mean ignore everything in the Wildcard round?

If we not counting titans games before tannenhill I don’t see how we gonna count ravens games before their corners were playing? Ravens destroyed Houston who beat titans at home with division on the line , beat bills in buffalo who beat titsns. Ravens hung 24 on bills in a game that I believe had fairly tough passing conditions cause of wind.

You know I was going overboard in that post and wasn’t directed at you anyways. Tend to do that when someone talks foul with me and/or when they doing same thing with the other team. Like I told you Saturday night when we were discussing I actually think titans prob the toughest matchup for ravens on the afc side, outside kc anyways who’s big play ability I think makes that matchup interesting. Titans def the closest matchup far as physicality imo.

Ravens defense since smith returning and getting peters is what has made me so high on them. No real surprise they improved throughout year as I always expect harbaughs defenses to be tough. I do think the power run game is best way to attack them tho. Just not sure if titans will be able to deal with ravens blitzes in obvious passing downs? Don’t know how effective the blitzes will be against titans run game either? I’m having a real hard time coming up with a score for titans I feel real strongly about.

I hear ya bro. I was just busting chops. It’s a hard game to read. Imo the Titans didn’t show a lot game plan wise against the pats. We all knew it was Henry’s game to win or lose. I expect the offense to be a lot more balanced and diversified this week. There’s no doubt the ravens have been a mobster all year but what happens if the game is close late? Titans have been there done that all year.

Teams on a 10+ game winning streak, in their 1st game of the playoffs - 1-6 ATS

I took +10.5 (-120) early, I won't be shocked if the Titans hang in there. Can't wait for this game. Interested to see how Ravens respond to essentially being off since week 16 and Lamar in the big spot.

I like watching cosell break down film!

Was it just me or did it seem like pats really didn’t stack the box as much as I would have thought against titans? Gotta think ravens bring Thomas down in the box a ton in this game and trust their corners on islands. Key to Henry is not letting that big Fukker get a head of steam going downhill.

Titans bottom 3rd the league defending tight ends which doesn’t bode well as Lamar loves hitting the tight ends.

Last edited:
Update weather in Charm City has balmy temps in the 60s with 11- 12 mph winds. Couldnt ask for much better Jan weather. Wondering if a first half over bet makes sense. 23.5 seems really attainable with these two. Gotta think this total creeps up tomorrow, no?

Update weather in Charm City has balmy temps in the 60s with 11- 12 mph winds. Couldnt ask for much better Jan weather. Wondering if a first half over bet makes sense. 23.5 seems really attainable with these two. Gotta think this total creeps up tomorrow, no?

No rain anymore? I’m having a super hard time coming up with a score I feel good about for titans. Kinda lean over but don’t like betting a total when I don’t feel great about a number.

I see the ravens blowing them out or titans hanging around and rrading scores for a while. First half over is starting to really make sense.

I feel pretty strongly Ravens can put up 31+ so really don’t think we need titans to score more than 17, should be doable.

Back