ACC Conference Discussion

The DL has some serious depth. The second string should be just as good as the first. How talented are they? Not sure. Doesn't appear to be an Ogbogu or Merrimen on this squad, but they will be able to stay fresh. Some nice size as well. 20 sacks just isn't good enough. I was really surprised to read that that was all they had. Phil says they should go up in the pass d standings and I tend to agree.

The DL has some serious depth. The second string should be just as good as the first. How talented are they? Not sure. Doesn't appear to be an Ogbogu or Merrimen on this squad, but they will be able to stay fresh. Some nice size as well. 20 sacks just isn't good enough. I was really surprised to read that that was all they had. Phil says they should go up in the pass d standings and I tend to agree.
Yeah....20 for and 19 against...pretty low numbers both ways.

nice info gar..like i said this team i usually just skip..just don't know what to expect.

Pretty much all the receivers are coming back. They are all good athletes, but not all necessarily great football players. Whoever becomes QB will have folks to throw to.

They def overachieved last yr at 9-4.. They scored 284pts and allowed 284pts. They were outgained in every regular season game except 1.

I love the FSU team this year. I love that they will be healthy. I love their defense. I love the receiving core. I love a QB that will breakout in his junior season. Did I say I love the defense. Its gonna be mean IMO and with an improved healthy offense/team in general this will be more like the old FSU teams.

Take away the WAKE game last year and they were there in each game. That is despite the many obstacles they had to overcome.

The Noles...Actually growing up I was a Nole fan and when it came down to picking colleges it was Gamecocks or FSU, still to this day I wonder why I picked SC over FSU but anyway.

FSU has the all-star cast of coaches down there so lets hope it turns out for the good. Getting down into the facts of this team; FSU has a preseason DL rated #4, They have a LB corps rated #11 preseason and the DB's are rated #4 overall. This is a defense with 8 starters back as well. Yes they lost two good LB's in Buster Davis and Lawrence Timmons but this is a team with 13 of their top 15 tacklers back and enough talent roaming that sideline to simply reload at that position. I mean in the ACC they should have the best defense with GT. They allowed on avg 93yards against the rush last yr which is stout.

The FSU offense must improve, there is no secret about that but they have 2 good receivers in De'Cody I love sex and Gregg Carr and an excellent RB in Antone Smith. I also would advise people to keep an eye on Jonathan Hannah, he transferred from SC but was a very highly recruited player at TE. He just didn't like the environment in Carolina but this kid is a player with a lot of talent and they will get him into the mix as well, he should help the short passing game.

At QB will it be Weatherford or X-Factor, I don't know. Right now Weatherford is listed as #1 on the depth chart but I will keep an eye on the battle as they begin summer practice. I think Weatherford starts but there is a quick hook on him.

Good info on the SC transfer.

I think Drew starts and will be xcellent and quiet any QB rumors.

God that defense is going to be sick.

The offense will pull their weight as well is my thinking. The key to my hopes for them is the O-line. They have the former WVU Olineman coach and experience. Now results. They must improve their ypc and they will be fine.

Was reading today on the FSU website on rivals. Seems their offseason conditioning has changed a lot and they are light yrs ahead of last yr which is great. I really really lik Antone Smithl.

Interesting last yr they had just 9 scholarship seniors, this yr they have 18. A lot more leadership I would expect.

OOC schedule is decently tough. UAB and Colo should be wins. Bama will be on a neutral site although still in Florida and than they close the yr with the Gators. They outgained ACC opponents by 42ypg which is quite surprising given the struggles they seemed to have

Thats good..LOL

I am clueless about the Wolfpack.

I know that a few of agree so far on Wake Forest.

Wolfpack.. I mean what the hell can you expect from this team.. 3-9 last yr, 3-8 ATS. They upset then #20 BC and #17 FSU in back to back weeks and lose to teams like NC, ECU, Akron, and So Miss.. 8 guys back on offense including 2 rushers over 700yds, 3 leading receivers, QB, but only 2 guys on the OL (do have 7 of top 10 back).

Yep, we'll see what the new staff does. maddeningly inconsistent forever it seems.

Home date with UL.

O'Brein meets old school in week 2.

Steele has them #3 in the division, I feel more like #5 or #6 with an upset sometime that you would never expect and a loss that will prob make you cry like to Wofford or something.

O'Brien meets old school in WK2 but that is a revenge game for BC and have to think they have a gripe with former coach going to a conference team.

Wake is starting to arrive as a program, but won't match last year. No more surprises, sophomore slump for Skinner, no more +13 turnovers, etc. I would look for more of a return to the rushing attack. I think Skinner will throw less than 65% this year, but I expect the ypc to go back up above 4 like it usually was prior to last year. Their defense - a very under-appreciated unit - lost a lot and will give up some points this year.

NCSU is about 2 years away from being real good. TOB won't put up with silliness and the days of loafing around and underacheiving in Raleigh are all done. They have some trench weaknesses, both OL and DL so don't look for a whole lot this year, but they will bite a few people in the ass when they least expect it. I guarantee that.

Wake was outgained by 60 ypg last year

They benefited from turnovers

Barely averaged 300 ypg in offense

Defense gave up under 300 but just 5 starters return.

OOC games with nebraska, Amry and Navy

FSU on a Thursday night on ESPN

I just see things evening out for them this year and they will struggle.

ACC teams rank by publication :

clemson--lindy33, snews44,athlon-51, steele-45, stsm conf-1
wake -- lindy 20 , snews 45, athlon 32, steele 45, stsm conf-2
fsu-- lindy 21, snews 11 , athlon 26, steele 7, st sm conf -3
bc -- lindy24, snews 28, athlon 27, steele 41, st sm conf-4
terps-- lindy 56, snews 47, athlon 50, steele 48, stsm conf-5
ncstate--lindy53, snews 70, athlon65, steele 46, stsm conf-6

vtech--lindy -8, snews 7 , athlon 9 , steele 13, st sm conf 1
gtech --lindy-31,snews37,athlon-14,steele38,stsm conf-2
miami fl - lindy38, snews 30, athlon 24, steele 24, st sm conf -3
virginia -- lindy 37, snes 43 , athlon 54, steele 37, st sm conf -4
n carolina -- lindy 80, snews 84, athlon , 77 , steele 85, st sm conf -5
duke -- lindy 98, snews 107, athlon 98 , steele 101 , st sm conf 6

Agree Gar about NC State, not ready yet but will be soon. I agree with Bar on Wake..I mean, ya they got 9 guys back on offense but its an offense that rushed for 57yds vs. Duke, 99 vs UConn, 31 vs. Clemson, 62 vs. VaTech, and 91 vs. GaTech. They avg 21.6pts a game and just bout 300yds of offense. +13 in turnovers doesn't happen every yr and there is just no way they can duplicate last yr.

Good stuff tonight on this half of the ACC gentleman.

Anyone looking in ever please feel free tocontribute your thoughts. I
ll be back in a bit with some more and tomorow or so we can work on the other division. Feel free to start at anytime though as well as more on the Big EAST.

ACC teams rank by publication :

clemson--lindy33, snews44,athlon-51, steele-45, stsm conf-1
wake -- lindy 20 , snews 45, athlon 32, steele 45, stsm conf-2
fsu-- lindy 21, snews 11 , athlon 26, steele 7, st sm conf -3
bc -- lindy24, snews 28, athlon 27, steele 41, st sm conf-4
terps-- lindy 56, snews 47, athlon 50, steele 48, stsm conf-5
ncstate--lindy53, snews 70, athlon65, steele 46, stsm conf-6

Interesting VK and thanks for the info.

Agree, great discussion. I am sure the people who are not nocturnal will have some to add as well. I'm off to bed dreaming about FSU PK @ Clemson

Wake Forest may not be fooling anybody this year, but they get one of the best lookahead situations you'll see early on. They host Nebraska the week before the Huskers host USC.

Can you imagine that? You're about to host USC in the biggest game of your college career and you have to fly out to Winston Salem for a game against Wake the week before. It's a PERFECT spot for the Deacons to either pull off an upset or keep it close. When they're getting 4 or so, I'll be on them.

Wake Forest may not be fooling anybody this year, but they get one of the best lookahead situations you'll see early on. They host Nebraska the week before the Huskers host USC.

Can you imagine that? You're about to host USC in the biggest game of your college career and you have to fly out to Winston Salem for a game against Wake the week before. It's a PERFECT spot for the Deacons to either pull off an upset or keep it close. When they're getting 4 or so, I'll be on them.

great point:cheers:

I just can't see how Phil has a team with the best QB in the league, their two best RB's back, 3 guys back on the OL which they produce no problems, and 9 guys back on D finishing last in their division (BC).

I almost took issue with this statement until I realized, sadly, that it's true. Outside of Jameel Sewell, there really is not a QB in the league that even has potential to be called a good player at some point in the future. Ryan is not very good, but amazingly, he is probably the best player at the position in the league. Scary....

I like Maryland's squad but I like their offense a lot less w/o Gaither. Say what you will about his work ethic, the guy was a great college level tackle (was scheduled to switch from R to L this season.) Speaking of large OLs, here is another one. They should be able to get some movement for Ball and Lattimore. A little concerned about the passing game, at least initially.

Once again Gar is on top of his shit. That collective yell of joy you heard a few months back was every DE in the ACC jumping for joy at the prospect of never facing this guy again in their college career. He was the only tackle in any game I saw last year who held his own against Chris Long of UVA one-on-one. His reach was unbelievable and he had great feet for a guy his size. Steffy and Ball both probably wept when they heard that he was gone for good.

You have every right to be concerned about the passing game. Fridgy looks like he wants to go with Steffy, at least to start, and he just made a fool out of himself in the spring game down here. All over the place, indecisive, and just looking like he's in the wrong offense altogether. His backup, Portis, is no prize either, leaving them with a rough-around-the-edges-but-talented kid in Chris Turner as their last option. Just don't see any one of these guys getting it done in their first season running this offense.

We never got to the Coastal, everyone went to bed. LOL

I can't pick any squad other than VT to win it, but all of the top four should go bowling. Each one of them has some redeeming value as a football team. The Hokies defense is making me nervous just sitting in this chair and I won't even have to face them on the field. Glennon will be better just not sure how much, he should keep his spot, but I haven't read up on that in a while. Their receivers are good enough and Ore is great. Its the front wall that will determine their season - are they just a middle of the road 3-loss team or can they stay focussed ALL season as Beamer teams very seldom do? They get a tough draw from the Atlantic with Clemson, FSU, and BC, but get the latter two at home so that is about as much as you can ask for. If they win on S8, they should be undefeated going to November when things will get really interesting.

If UVA weren't so Goddamn one-dimensional they would be my second choice, but their passing game is what it is so I have to go with Miami and agree with Phil Steele. I think the only possible disagreement I can find with him on that division is that Duke might actually win as many conference games as UNC.

Back