8/20/06 Seattle Seahwaks @ Indianapolis Colts 8:00 pm

tru

Friend of CTG
Seattle Seahawks - QB Rotation: Matt Hasselbeck (1st Q+), Seneca Wallace (most of the duty), Gibran Hamden (mop up).

Matt Hasselbeck will start and perhaps play a little longer than last week, depending on the length of the Seahawks' first possessions and when they get the ball. "I want him to get a certain number of plays, a certain number of throws," Holmgren said. "Then whenever that hits, like last week they [the Cowboys] had that long drive and ate up a lot of the first quarter. If it would be just reversed, then I'd get him out of the game probably, but he needs to get a couple snaps."

Hasselbeck will give way to Seneca Wallace, who will see most of the playing time. Then the plan is to put in Gibran Hamdan, who is trying to win the No. 3 quarterback job. Hamdan did not play last weekend, as David Greene finished the game.

Wideouts thin. Players currently unable to practice because of injury: TE Jerremy Stevens, WRs Darrell Jackson, D.J. Hackett, Keenan Howry and Skyler Fulton. Jackson (knee) won't play until Aug. 26. WR D.J. Hackett returned to practice Friday after two weeks away to recover from a hamstring injury. He won't play against the Colts.

Center Robbie Tobeck, recovering from elbow surgery, will not play Sunday. Nor will left guard Floyd Womack, who is soon to come back from a strained right hamstring. Defensive ends Grant Wistrom and Joe Tafoya worked with the scout team but won't play. Neither will defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, practicing after knee surgery but not yet ready for tackling and hitting. TE Jerramy Stevens won't play. Neither will defensive tackles Marcus Tubbs and Russell Davis, though Tubbs is close to coming back from an Achilles injury.

Two players who began practicing recently, safety Michael Boulware and cornerback Jordan Babineaux, are expected to play, even though Boulware did not practice Friday morning. The only question mark is middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu, who coach Mike Holmgren said will make the trip but is unlikely to play because of a groin pull.

Secondary thin, with CBs Jordan Babineaux and Jimmy Williams, and S Michael Boulware hurting.

TE Jeremy Stevens was hurt during practice late this week and had to be carted off the field. Stevens was back in Seattle for knee surgery and is expected to miss at least 6 weeks.

Mike Holmgren does not game plan for opponents during the exhibition season. After Wallace leaves the game, Holmgren wants Gibran Hamden to play at QB as he is fighting with David Greene for the third string spot. Greene likely won't play this week.

Grant Wistrom and starting defensive tackle Rocky Bernard are back in camp, but won't play this weekend.

Indianapolis Colts - QB Rotation: Peyton Manning (18-20 plays), Jim Sorgi (2nd Q+), Shaun King, Josh Betts, Mike McGann.

After a one-and-done series in the Indianapolis Colts' preseason debut, QB Peyton Manning and several other front-line offensive players can anticipate a heavier workload in Sunday night's game. Manning and the No. 1 offense are expected to log at least 18 plays against the Seahawks. Last week at St. Louis, Manning, receivers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and a few other offensive starters were on the field for only the first series. They made the most of the seven-play drive, generating a touchdown.

"We'll see how it goes, but as a group they just need to get more plays," coach Tony Dungy said. "We're probably looking at 18 to 25 plays. "I wouldn't be surprised to see those guys play into the second quarter." The No. 1 defense also will see more extensive work, though it probably will be short-handed. Tackles Montae Reagor and Corey Simon and safeties Bob Sanders and Mike Doss are likely to sit out. WR Brandon Stokley still is recovering from a sprained left ankle and will not play.

Defense thin. Defensive tackle Corey Simon also will not play against the Seahawks. Among players still sidelined are defensive tackle Montae Reagor (knee), cornerback Tim Jennings (foot), and safeties Antoine Bethea (knee) and Dexter Reid (shoulder).

Kicker Adam Vinatieri missed practice Tuesday with a sprained ankle. The uncertainty surrounding Vinatieri meant resigning place-kicker Shane Andrus, who was waived over the weekend. The Colts Punter Hunter Smith joined the list Tuesday, suffering a strained groin that will keep him out of Sunday's preseason game against Seattle.

Thx for the info TP. This is a tough game to read. Starters for both teams are going to be limited and the backups are very weak. Add in a suspect kicking game for Indy, and this looks like a crap shoot. Probably a no play for me unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Lines From Pinny

opened
Indianapolis -3 -104 39.5 under -105
2:00 pm Indianapolis -3 -113 38 under -107

Sports Insights shows 68% on Indy, looks like no line move only juice move. but u need to look closer. line dropped to -2.5 6 hours after it opened, then dropped all tha way down to -1 up till early yesterday. line went back to -3 late yesterday wit big + money juice wit tha colts. -3 +118 at around midnight lasnight, then it got pounded at 11 am today from -3 +107 down to -3 -114. a huge 21 cent move. i will be keepin my eye on this for later movements but this sofar is some strange movements.

Probably will hop on the under with Rexy on this one. Can't see anyone scoring 20pts.

Sports Network) - Two NFL teams hoping to chart a course to Super Bowl XLI will meet at the RCA Dome on Sunday night, when the Indianapolis Colts play host to the Seattle Seahawks in the second preseason tune-up for both teams. The Colts, believed by many to have been the most talented team in the NFL last season, are among the top pick of oddsmakers and league observers to win the franchise's first title since relocating to Indianapolis in 1983. The Seahawks, meanwhile, are fresh off an appearance on Super Sunday, and are still considered to be among the teams to beat in the NFC. Neither Indy nor Seattle could manage a win in their respective preseason openers, with the Colts falling to the Rams, 19-17, and the Seahawks dropping a 13-3 home decision to the Cowboys.
Peyton Manning and the first-team Indianapolis offense should see a bit more time than against the Rams, when principles like Manning (3-of-5, 50 yards, 1 TD), Marvin Harrison, and Reggie Wayne (2 receptions, 20 yards) played only the first series before yielding to backups. Running backs Dominic Rhodes (4 rushes, 12 yards) and Joseph Addai (3 rushes, 3 yards, 2 receptions), who are battling for starting running back duties, will look to improve upon less- than-memorable outings versus St. Louis. A major storyline on Sunday night will revolve around the kicking game, as kicker Adam Vinatieri (left ankle) and punter Hunter Smith (groin) will both be unavailable due to injuries. Free agent kicker Shane Andrus will likely handle placements and kickoffs, with journeyman Reggie Hodges a possibility in punting situations. Among other notables, tackles Montae Reagor (knee) and Corey Simon (knee) as well as safeties Bob Sanders (shoulder) and Mike Doss (calf) will be out, while wideout Brandon Stokley (ankle) could miss the remainder of the preseason. The Colts will be attempting to halt a seven-game preseason losing streak dating back to the latter stages of the 2004 preseason, an unsuccessful run that included an 0-5 mark in 2005.
The Seahawks will be seeking to generate their first touchdown of the preseason, but will be doing so minus the services of tight end Jerramy Stevens, who is expected to miss six weeks with a knee injury. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck (4-of-6, 46 yards against Dallas) will be attempting to get on the same page with Itula Mili, who moves up the depth chart at tight end after missing all of last season with an intestinal disorder. Hasselbeck, running back Shaun Alexander (6 rushes, 13 yards) and the entire first-team offense should see more time than it did in the Cowboys loss. The Seahawk offensive line will be attempting to rebound after surrendering six sacks against Dallas. On the injury front, center Robby Tobeck (elbow), wideout Darrell Jackson (knee), and defensive linemen Grant Wistrom (shoulder), Rocky Bernard (knee), and Joe Tafoya (shoulder) will be among the Seahawks absent from Sunday's contest. The Colts lead the all-time preseason series with the Seahawks, 9-8, breaking a deadlock in the series with a 21-7 victory in the last such meeting, prior to the 2003 season. Indianapolis also holds a 5-4 edge in the regular season series, though Seattle prevailed by a 28-13 count at home when the clubs last met, in 2005.

Seattle Seahawks at Indianapolis Colts
Line: Indy –1
Total: 38
SeahawksBoulware back for Seahawks
Michael Boulware is going to suit up for Seattle Sunday. The veteran safety is recovering from knee surgery and returned to practice this week.
Seattle will be without a number of starters against the Colts. Center Robbie Tobeck (elbow), left guard Floyd Womack (hamstring), defensive ends Grant Wistrom and Joe Tafoya, defensive tackle Rocky Bernard (knee), tight end Jerramy Stevens (knee) and wide receiver Darrell Jackson (knee) will not be in the lineup.
Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will start and play into the second quarter on Sunday.
Colts: Offensive starters to get more time
With his first-team offense healthier than last week, Tony Dungy will give the group some time to get familiar with each other. “We probably will. A little more time for our first group. We’re a little healthier, so that helps,” Dungy told the Indianapolis Star. “I wouldn’t be surprised to see those guys play into the second quarter. As a group they just need to get a few more plays. So probably look at 18 to 25, somewhere in there, with those guys.”

Several Seahawks still unable to play
By José Miguel Romero
Seattle Times staff reporter
CHENEY — Center Robbie Tobeck, recovering from elbow surgery, will not play Sunday in the Seahawks' exhibition game at Indianapolis. Nor will left guard Floyd Womack, who is soon to come back from a strained right hamstring.
Defensive ends Grant Wistrom and Joe Tafoya worked with the scout team during Friday morning's practice, but won't play. Neither will defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, practicing after knee surgery but not yet ready for tackling and hitting.
Tight end Jerramy Stevens was back in Seattle for knee surgery Friday and won't play. Neither will defensive tackles Marcus Tubbs and Russell Davis, though Tubbs is close to coming back from an Achilles injury.
The list ends with wide receiver Darrell Jackson, who is still not ready to participate after knee surgery.
Two players who began practicing recently, safety Michael Boulware and cornerback Jordan Babineaux, are expected to play, even though Boulware did not practice Friday morning. The only question mark is middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu, who coach Mike Holmgren said will make the trip but is unlikely to play because of a groin pull.
The quarterback rotation will be similar to that of the Seahawks' exhibition opener against Dallas. Matt Hasselbeck will start and perhaps play a little longer than last week, depending on the length of the Seahawks' first possessions and when they get the ball.
"I want him to get a certain number of plays, a certain number of throws," Holmgren said. "Then whenever that hits, like last week they [the Cowboys] had that long drive and ate up a lot of the first quarter. If it would be just reversed, then I'd get him out of the game probably, but he needs to get a couple snaps."
Hasselbeck will give way to Seneca Wallace, who will see most of the playing time. Then the plan is to put in Gibran Hamdan, who is trying to win the No. 3 quarterback job. Hamdan did not play last weekend, as David Greene finished the game.
Lineman of all trades
Tom Ashworth said he was open to trying any position on the offensive line after he signed with the Seahawks from New England in free agency earlier this year.
When it's all said and done, he probably will have tried every spot except center.
The Seahawks' injury situation at guard and center should improve soon, but Ashworth was signed for his versatility and is basically a sixth starter outside of the starting five linemen. He could end up as the primary backup at one guard spot, if not both, and left tackle by the end of the exhibition season.
"He's most comfortable at left tackle," Holmgren said, "but he can play guard and he can play right tackle. He's going to have to learn them all."
Ashworth was a right tackle with the Patriots. He is working with Seattle's No. 2 offensive line in camp, mostly at left tackle.
"I'm learning the positions and learning the offense," Ashworth said. "There's a transition in it ... Every day I learn a little more and get more comfortable with it."
Boulware is back
The only thing left for Boulware to do in regard to his recovery from knee surgery is to shake off the rust, as he put it.
Boulware, a starter, has been practicing more and more each day (though he was given Friday morning off) and is expected to play Sunday.
"I'm not having much pain at all," Boulware said. "If they ask me to play I think I'll be prepared, and I definitely could use the rest, so either way."
Veteran free-agent pickup Mike Green held down strong safety while Boulware was sidelined, and played well. Green is now working with the second team.
"Mike Green has done an excellent job filling in, and I think he's a great safety and a good addition to this team," Boulware said.
Boulware isn't running at 100 percent, but most of that could be due to the soreness of getting back into shape.
Note
• WR D.J. Hackett returned to practice Friday after two weeks away to recover from a hamstring injury. He won't play against the Colts.

Personally, I'll probably play the OVER here. Defense is injured on both sides, (not that Indianapolis ever had a defense to start with) and the starters going longer on offense from two offensive powerhouses. So far, I haven't tried to second guess the obvious from what I read. It has allowed me to go a nice 17-6 in preseason so far.

It's the OVER for me.
beer.gif

Colts' starters will get more playing time today

August 20, 2006

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- The Indianapolis Colts' front-line players are expected to see their most extensive action of the preseason next weekend against the New Orleans Saints in Jackson, Miss.
But they'll have ample opportunity to work up a sweat tonight in the RCA Dome against Seattle.
Quarterback Peyton Manning said he plans on "playing three or four series, if possible."
The idea, though, isn't necessarily how many series Manning and other members of the No. 1 offense and defense play. Many starters will be on a "play count." Look for them to be on the field for between 20 and 25 snaps.
Manning and several offensive starters were on the field for one seven-play series in the preseason opener at St. Louis.
The annual debate over how much exposure players need in preseason games picked up steam last week when Washington running back Clinton Portis criticized the current format. His voice was a pained one: He suffered a partially dislocated shoulder in the Redskins' preseason opener.
Manning agreed that older players generally require less preseason playing time to prepare for the regular season.
But the preseason has value.
"It's nice to get in there for a couple of series and try to get the feel,'' Manning said. "I've always said, believe it or not, it's kind of nice that you can get your bell rung once or twice and get hit and feel like you're back into the season."
Also, there's the evaluation of young players.
"I've seen plenty of guys that have looked great out here in practice and when the lights turn on, something just clicks and doesn't go right for them,'' Manning said. "At the same time, you've seen guys who've looked kind of so-so in practice, and all of a sudden when they get in a game all they do is intercept passes or make great catches.
"You've got to put them in game situations and get some kind of determination.''

Watching, not playing
Sixteen players are ruled out of tonight's game because of injury or continuing rehabilitation from injury. It's possible the list will grow prior to kickoff.
Players who won't play against the Seahawks are place-kicker Adam Vinatieri (ankle), punter Hunter Smith (groin), safeties Bob Sanders (shoulder), Mike Doss (calf) and Dexter Reid (shoulder), defensive tackles Corey Simon (knee), Montae Reagor (knee) and Tom Johnson (knee), tight end Ben Hartsock (hamstring), linebacker Freddie Keiaho (knee), defensive end Jonathan Welsh (knee), wide receiver Brandon Stokley (ankle), guard Ryan Lilja (knee) and cornerback T.J. Rushing (leg).
Safety Eric Hill (ankle) and cornerback Tim Jennings (ankle) remain on the physically unable to perform list.

Seahawks ailing, too
The Colts don't have a monopoly on medical concerns.
The Seahawks expected to miss tonight's game include starting defensive linemen Grant Wistrom, Rocky Bernard and Marcus Tubbs, linebacker Lofa Tatupu, center Robbie Tobeck, wide receiver Darrell Jackson and tight end Jerramy Stevens.
Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck likely will play about a quarter. Running back Shaun Alexander, the reigning MVP and league rushing champion, probably will play less.

Roster moves
To make room on the active roster for place-kicker Shane Andrus and punter Reggie Hodges, the team placed safety Chris Laskowski (sports hernia) on injured reserve and released safety Jahmile Addae.
Coach Tony Dungy was unable to elaborate on the nature of Addae's release, although it likely involved some type of injury settlement. Addae was briefly hospitalized earlier in the week after collapsing on the practice field.

Lines From Pinny

opened
Indianapolis -3 -104 39.5 under -105
2:00 pm Indianapolis -3 -113 38 under -107
5:00 pm Indianapolis -3 -120 38 under -106

Sports Insights now is showin 70% on Indy, a 2% rise since 2pm, we have a 7 cent jump on tha juice also in that same span. Colts ML has had a huge move also while SI is showin 70% on ML, it opened -117, up to -170 currently.

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- His fifth training camp with the Indianapolis Colts is behind him, and coach Tony Dungy might have clicked on the cruise control as he drove back to Indianapolis on I-70 Saturday afternoon.
But it's hardly clear sailing from here.
First, there's tonight's nationally televised preseason game in the RCA Dome with defending NFC champion Seattle. For the second time in eight months, two of the NFL's elite teams meet in a game with absolutely nothing on the line from a league standpoint.
Next, it's more preseason work for the Colts, who get back to the business of preparing for their Sept. 10 regular-season opener against the New York Giants on Tuesday morning at their West 56th Street headquarters.
Before leaving Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in the rearview mirror, here's a look at some key camp-related issues:

There are so many to choose from, but what is the most concerning injury?
Corey Simon's balky left knee. The veteran defensive tackle hasn't practiced since Aug. 4. The culprit: cartilage damage and tendinitis. The team and Simon hope rest and rehabilitation remedy the situation. But minor surgery remains an option, which might threaten Simon's availability for the start of the regular season. If they go the rest/rehab route, will the injury linger throughout the season?
With Simon, the Colts feature a formidable tackle rotation that includes Montae Reagor and Raheem Brock. If Simon is in and out of the lineup, youngsters Darrell Reid and Vincent Burns will be called on to play more significant minutes.

Which player made the biggest move in camp?
Rookie safety Antoine Bethea. At the risk of putting too much pressure on the team's sixth-round draft selection, he might be this year's "sleeper'' pick. Remember Robert Mathis (fifth round, '03), Cato June (sixth round, '03), Jake Scott (fifth round, '04) and Rick DeMulling (round seven, '01)?
Bethea was slowed early in camp by a minor knee injury but has made up for lost time. He displayed good instincts and reaction to the ball.

Who has been the biggest disappointment?
Using the preseason opener at St. Louis as a reference, it's Marlin Jackson. He enjoyed solid practices and shared reps with returning starter Jason David at right cornerback with the No. 1 unit. When a minor injury forced David to miss the preseason opener at St. Louis, Jackson started. He struggled mightily.
It was only one game, but Jackson needs a bounce-back effort tonight against the Seahawks. He needs to play like the first-round draft pick he is.

What position carries the biggest concern?
Linebacker. That has nothing to do with incumbents Gary Brackett and June. But once again, uncertainty seems to permeate the rest of the group. Maybe Gilbert Gardner will be the next guy to make the transition from backup to starter without a hitch. And maybe not.
Then there's the issue of depth, which becomes an issue if Gardner falters. No one should question Rob Morris' ability to step in when, and wherever, needed. But the other top backup candidates either are rookies (injured Freddie Keiaho) or unproven veterans (Keith O'Neil, Tyjuan Hagler).

What area still is under construction?
The return game. The coaching staff is high on T.J. Rushing, who had a 63-yard kickoff return against the Rams. But the seventh-round draft pick will miss tonight's game with a leg injury. That should shift the focus to undrafted rookie Ashlan Davis. Veteran Terrence Wilkins remains an option, but you get the feeling the team would prefer one of the younger players to win the job. Wilkins might be a 31-year-old insurance policy.

Back