8/14 NFLX Oak @ MINNY -3 (36) 8p ESPN

jimmyd

Pretty much a regular
Oakland Raiders - QB Rotation: Aaron Brooks (1st Q+), Andrew Walter (2nd Q+), Marques Tuiasosopo (3rd Q+).

The Raiders starters will play into the second quarter. QB Aaron Brooks is expected to see at least one quarter of action for the second straight game and be called upon to attempt more passes than he did in the first game. Look for the Raiders to continue their quest to get RB LaMont Jordan more comfortable in an offense geared toward getting him a sizable workload during the regular season.

Defensively, the Raiders figure to assert themselves more as their younger players get more comfortable in the scheme and playing with new teammates. Look for rookie Michael Huff to get more playing time, both at strong safety and cornerback.

Art Shell wants more pushing and shoving, he said Raiders weren't physical enough in the opener. "At the beginning of the game, I don't think on both sides of the ball we were as physical as we needed to be," Shell said.

WR Jerry Porter is expected to make his exhibition-season debut Monday for the Raiders. CB Mike Huff started at strong safety in the exhibition opener and estimated that he played 15 snaps. He hopes he'll see about 20 to 25 snaps Monday night.

This is Oakland's second game, winning the Hall of Fame game last Sunday, 16-10, over the Eagles.

Brooks, signed as a free agent from the Saints, will start. Brooks is the heir apparent to Kerry Collins over Andrew Walter, No. 2 on the depth chart.

Discipline will be a key in preseason: Shell expects his players to be crisp, detailed and disciplined. The Raiders have been a sloppy team the last few years, especially with penalties, but were much better in the preseason opener.

Minnesota Vikings - QB Rotation: Brad Johnson (1st Q), Mike McMahon (half of the 2nd Q), rookie Tarvaris Jackson (2nd-3rd Qs), J.T. O'Sullivan (4th Q).

Brad Johnson, the oldest QB in the league turing 38 next month, is expected to play one quarter, with Mike McMahon relieving. Rookie QB Tarvaris Jackson will play the final portion of the second quarter and all of the third. J.T. O'Sullivan will handle the fourth quarter. QB Mike McMahon has worked with the second-team offense in practice, with rookie Tarvaris Jackson running the third team. No. 2 quarterback Mike McMahon will play for part of the second quarter before Jackson enters.

Former Eagles assistant Brad Childress is the new Minnesota head coach. The 49-year-old Childress had been the Eagles' offensive coordinator since 2002.

Tonight will mark the first opportunity the Vikings have to get a read on how the players are adjusting to the new schemes, the West Coast offense and Tampa-2 defense. Childress said he is being careful not to overburden his players with too much.

"This is the most physical camp I've ever been associated with," cornerback Antoine Winfield said. The Vikings have practiced in full pads once a day since Aug. 1; Childress has paired each with a second daily practice in shells or shorts. They are not scheduled for a lighter day until Sunday, the day before their preseason opener against Oakland, and do not have a day off until Aug. 15. If Childress sticks to his schedule, players will take part in 12 consecutive days of full-pads practices.

Tampa Bay defensive backs coach 33-year old Mike Tomlin will be the new defensive coordinator, while former Green Bay quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell is the new offensive coordinator.

Oakland - After everyone turned down the Raiders head coaching position, Al Davis had to settle for former Oakland head coach Art Shell. This team is just a bad team whether it’s in the preseason or regular season. So I can’t see Shell making any difference in trying to get this team back on the winning track. As for the preseason, the Raiders have gone 3-9 ATS the last three years. I look for more of the losing ways this preseason. It should also be noted that even with their so-called high-powered offense, all of the Raiders' four preseason games last year went 'under' the total.

2002-2005 SU 7-9 ATS 4-11 O/U 5-11
2006 SU 1-0 ATS 1-0 O/U 0-1

Minnesota - Brad Childress, the former offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles, is now the new head coach with the Vikings. Look for the Vikings to play some high-scoring games this preseason. With Childress running the Eagles offense the last two preseasons, the 'over' cashed in six of the last eight preseason outings.

2002-2005 SU 8-8 ATS 8-8 O/U 9-7

Raiders vs. Vikings

• TIME: 5 p.m. PST
• TV/RADIO: Chs. 5, 44, ESPN; 560-AM
• REMAINING GAMES: vs. 49ers, Sunday, 5 p.m., Ch. 2; vs. Detroit Lions, Aug. 25, 7 p.m., Ch. 36; at Seattle Seahawks, Aug. 31, 7 p.m., Ch. 2.
• STORY LINE: Raiders -- On the surface, much is being made of wide receiver Randy Moss' first game against his former team, at the stadium where he once was adored by everyone. However, Raiders coach Art Shell has made it known to his players and everyone else that Moss' return is a sidelight in terms of what he came here to see. That is, he wants his offense and defense to be more physical and more efficient than they were in Oakland's exhibition opener Aug. 6, when the Philadelphia Eagles starters dominated their counterparts. Look for the Raiders to continue their quest to get running back LaMont Jordan more comfortable in an offense geared toward getting him a sizable workload during the regular season. Also, quarterback Aaron Brooks is expected to see at least one quarter of action for the second straight game and be called upon to attempt more passes than he did in the first game. Defensively, the Raiders figure to assert themselves more as their younger players get more comfortable in the scheme and playing with new teammates. Look for rookie Michael Huff to get more playing time, both at strong safety and cornerback.
• DON'T BE SURPRISED IF: The Raiders starters play into the second quarter and fare much better than they did in their first game.

Shell expects patience from QBs on pass plays

Raiders notes
NAPA -- Former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon attributed some of his success to his ability to know when to get rid of the ball or take off and run.
He said the key is having a "clock" in your head. When that clock hits a certain time, say three seconds, it's time to do something with the ball, be it throw to a receiver, throw it away or tuck it in and head upfield.
Raiders quarterbacks aren't told to function that way, coach Art Shell said Friday. They are instructed to give the designed play ample time to unfold before doing anything impulsive.
"We want to throw the ball when we think the receiver is going to come open ... ," Shell said. "We tell our (offensive) line, 'There is no time frame here. You block until the ball is gone, until the whistle blows.'"
If a called play breaks down, he added, "Pull the ball down, try to make something happen, get the first down if you can, and get down on the ground."
The goal is to avoid a sack or, worse, having the quarterback get hit. The latter scenario raises the possibility of the quarterback losing his grip on the ball and getting hurt.
Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells oftentimes stands behind the quarterback at practice, waits for the ball to be snapped and then counts: "One, two, throw the ball! Throw the ball! Throw the ball!
Other coaches instruct their quarterbacks to take no more than two or three seconds -- depending upon the number of steps he drops back -- before getting rid of the ball.
Shell said it was ingrained in him during his 15-year playing career and his subsequent 12-year stint as an assistant and head coach for the Raiders from 1983-94 that there is no time frame for a quarterback to get rid of the ball.
"I grew up with no time frame," Shell said. "We were a seven-step drop team for many years at the Raiders. Where everybody else was doing three-, and five-(step drops), up until about 1980, we were a seven-step drop team. So, during the course of a year we had maybe eight three-step drops."
The Raiders have broadened their scope in the passing game since Shell last coached here, Shell said.
"In our system now, we have all, we have three-step, five-step and seven-step," Shell said. "We understand that you have to utilize all the different drops with your quick passing game."
Plays of the day
Outside linebacker Sam Williams blitzed on a play in which he met running back LaMont Jordan just as he received a handoff, stopping Jordan for a 4-yard loss.
Safety Jarrod Cooper batted a pass into the air and defensive end Tyler Brayton snared it before it hit the ground for an interception in the end zone. The play looked similar to some of the drills the Raiders have worked on extensively throughout camp.
Extra points
Running back ReShard Lee returned to practice two days after sustaining a dislocated thumb. He ran the ball without any apparent lingering effects from his injury and is expected to play in Monday night's exhibition game against the Minnesota Vikings. Running back DeJuan Green "got dinged a little bit," Shell said, and missed most of practice Friday. His status for Monday's game won't be known until today, at the earliest. ... The Raiders practice this afternoon and then leave for Minnesota on Sunday. ...

Ryan believes Raiders will get it done on 'D'

The coordinator, a holdover from Turner's regime, likes his personnel

NAPA - Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has been all work and no talk -- at least to the media -- since he got hired before the 2004 season. He broke his silence Wednesday night and promised a defense that speaks volumes through its performance.
That Ryan made it to a third season with the Raiders owes to an undying faith by Raiders managing general partner Al Davis. Most defensive coordinators don't return after a team fires its coach, as the Raiders did with Norv Turner in January.
Yet, Davis signed Ryan to a contract extension before he hired Art Shell. He did so in the interest of continuity and capitalizing on the foundation Ryan laid the previous two seasons.
"That's a compliment," Ryan said. "I appreciated Mr. Davis doing that for me, and I'm not going to let him down. This is the year to show up. We're not going to talk about it, we're just going to play great ball."
Bold talk, to be sure, from a coach whose defense ranked among the worst in almost every statistical category the past two seasons. Yet, Ryan believes he finally has the personnel to execute the scheme he deems best suited to today's game.
"We've got great personnel," Ryan said, "and we can play pretty much anything we want."
That runs contrary to what unfolded the past two seasons. Ryan's experiment in 2004 with a three-linemen, four-linebacker alignment as the base formation was about as successful as the Edsel.
He returned to a 4-3 alignment as the base defense last season, only to abandon it in the first half of the regular-season opener against the New England Patriots once it became apparent that Grant Irons and Tyler Brayton weren't ideal fits at outside linebacker.
That compelled Ryan to go with an unconventional look that featured four linemen, two linebackers and an extra defensive back. The end result proved just as disastrous.
"The 3-4 system that he tried to put in when he first got here, I don't think the personnel was conducive to that," Shell said Thursday.
Namely, Ryan moved career-long defensive tackle Warren Sapp to defensive end, where Sapp struggled through his worst season. Sapp moved back to tackle last season and performed closer to the way he did when he was a seven-time Pro Bowler with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
"I like what we're doing," Shell said.
Sapp, too, said he is confident that Ryan finally has the pieces he needs to turn Oakland's defense from a weakness into a strength. He said he sees a lot of similarities between Ryan and longtime Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.
"You've got a guy that's living and loving," Sapp said. "I'm living and loving it myself, so you go with them. You trust that they watch way more film than you do and they game plan way more than you do so you're hoping they put you in the right position to make plays. It didn't go too well for us the first two years, but I'll bet on this one."
This defense relies upon the 4-3 alignment. Ryan said he is counting on the infusion of fast, smart and aggressive players to make it work.
"I hope we see a tough group, and smart, that flies around to the football and makes things happen," Ryan said. "I don't know if we've seen that every time, but we'll ... sure see it this year."
To that, Raiders fans might say, "Now he's talking."

Preseason opener: Vikings vs. Oakland

When, where: 7 tonight, Metrodome
TV: ESPN and Ch. 29
Radio: 1130-AM and 100.3-FM
About the Vikings: Safety Tank Williams (kneecap) and cornerback Charles Gordon (knee) are the only players on the Vikings roster who won't be able to play tonight because of injury. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie will wear a clublike protection on his injured left hand. Cornerback Fred Smoot (neck) also will play. ... In addition to Randy Moss, the Raiders have two former Vikings in tackle Brad Badger (2000-01) and defensive end Lance Johnstone (2000-05). The Raiders defensive line is coached by former Viking Keith Millard. ... Middle linebacker Napoleon Harris, acquired from Oakland in the Moss trade, will see his former teammates for the first time. Vikings linebackers coach Fred Pagac was the linebackers coach for the Raiders from 2001-03. ... Linebacker Chad Greenway, the Vikings' first-round pick in April, said he's more excited than nervous about making his debut. Greenway will see action with the second team and also on special teams. It's also a possibility he could play with the first team as part of a 4-4-3 set used in certain situations. About the Raiders: Oakland opened with a 16-10 victory over Philadelphia in the Hall of Fame Game on Aug. 6. ... The Raiders forced five turnovers, and Sebastian Janikowski had field goals of 51, 50 and 24 yards. ... Art Shell returns as coach, a dozen years after being fired by the Raiders. ... Of course, the game marks the return of Moss to the Metrodome. The former Vikings standout caught 60 passes for 1,005 yards last season and must adapt to a new starting quarterback, ex-Saint Aaron Brooks. ... The Raiders also added Rod (He Hate Me) Smart as a kick returner.

There's a lot to learn about Vikings tonight

With a new coach to go along with many new players, this might be one of the biggest mystery teams the franchise has assembled in its history.
Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
Tonight is a big night for the Vikings. They will unveil their new coach in Brad Childress along with a great number of new players as they open the preseason against the Oakland Raiders before a national television audience.
Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel, believes that Childress has done an excellent job of implementing the things he wants this team to represent, as far as mental toughness, physical play and all the types of things you have to build up during training camp.
This Vikings training camp has been described by some players as the toughest they have encountered.
Spielman, who previously worked with the Lions, Bears and Dolphins before being hired by the Vikings in late May, said: "I think what Coach is trying to do is just to get established a personality for the offensive side and the defensive side of the ball. The only time during the year you can do this and physically go out and do tackling drills and do all this stuff is at this time.
"I think this is where you build the character of your team, during these two weeks before you get into preseason [play], because once you get into preseason games, we're still in camp, but there's a lot less hitting going on because you're playing on a weekly basis now. I think it's very important to get that established the first two weeks of training camp."
Two draft choices in particular, linebacker Chad Greenway and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, are expected to play big roles in the franchise's future.
About Jackson, Spielman said: "He shows arm strength, he has shown the ability to learn a system, he's making good decisions and he's going to have some growing pains, just like every young guy. But he's had a very good camp to date."
As for Greenway, Spielman said the first-round pick has done a good job of handling the mental and physical part of the game.
Spielman added that he likes the running backs in camp but that he is going to be checking the waiver wire to see where the Vikings can improve at all positions.
"I think all three, four, five of the running backs we have here have been very good," he said. "Each of them does things differently and uniquely. But I think just like we were able to find [safety] Dwight Smith a few weeks ago -- which was a little bit of a godsend with the Tank Williams injury -- you're always going to be out there combing the wires, always going to be out there seeing if you can improve your roster. If you're not doing that every day throughout the whole of the year, then you may be putting yourself at a disadvantage."
I've been around every one of the Vikings teams, and I just wonder if this year's group is more of a mystery team than most any other of the past. They have made so many changes, not only in the coaching staff but in the roster, that I doubt coaches know what to expect. Oakland has already played one game, beating Philadelphia. So the Raiders will have a little advantage. Even though it is a preseason game, we should be able to learn more about this team and its new system tonight.

Good stuff bro. I don't particularly like anything tonight but I know more about this game than any other preseason game to this point... Keep 'em coming...

I don't recognize hardly any of those QBs for Minny other than Johnson, and he isn't going to play long tonight. Oakland already has one game under their belt and should play even better tonight. I'm kind of surprised to see Minny giving points here . . . . . . .

Course mapped by Shell gains a willing follower

Randy Moss, team player, has his new coach's back. And that could be a key in the Raiders' ability to bounce back from a league-worst 13-35 record over the past three seasons.
Mark Craig, Star Tribune
D id you see the first play of the 2006 NFL preseason?
Raiders-Eagles, Aug. 6, Canton, Ohio. Randy Moss goes in motion, left to right.
The ball is snapped, and the Super Freak: (a) sticks a hand up and runs a go route for the end zone; or (b), levels a defensive back with a wicked cut block on the weak side.
If you said "A," you haven't been paying attention to the left coast and our old pal Moss. Make that Randy Moss, team player, company man, potential Employee of the Darn Month.
The same Randy Moss who once let Mike Tice twist in the wind during a long pause in response to a question on ESPN about whether Tice was the right coach for the Vikings is standing firmly behind his new boss, Art Shell.
Shell, former Raiders lineman and a Pro Football Hall of Famer, is bringing toughness back to Oakland in the first year of his second stint as head coach. Among his battles to transform the Raiders into winners again is a feud with disgruntled receiver Jerry Porter. Porter wants to be traded. Shell basically is ignoring him, with widespread support, which includes Moss and defensive tackle Warren Sapp.
According to the Contra Costa Times' transcript of Moss' Aug. 6 postgame interview, Moss likes Shell's soft-spoken discipline.
"That's one thing you can appreciate in a man, if he doesn't really have to be verbal," Moss said. "Just his presence alone, he got our attention. So that's one thing that we love as a team, to have a coach like that we can depend on and, hopefully, he can depend on us."
Moss, who was traded to Oakland before the 2005 season, will play about a quarter in tonight's preseason game, his first return visit to the Metrodome. He believes the Raiders, 1-0 in the preseason, will rebound in a big way this year. That's right; the same Raiders who are tied with the San Francisco 49ers for the league's worst record (13-35) over the past three seasons. "Coach Art brought in a great coaching staff, and we believe in him," Moss said. "And that's one thing: As a player, you need someone you can believe in and someone to follow. Right now, he's our leader, and we're following him."

Troubled times sure were fun

Discipline rules in Camp Childress, but paying fans might long to see Moss go long.
Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Tonight, if he deigns to play, Randy Moss will sprint downfield with his hand in the air, begging for a street-ball, turn-left-at-the-Volkswagen, throw-it-up-for-grabs, remember-when moment, reminding Vikings fans of what once was.
The question of the day is, how should fans feel about that?
When the Vikings drafted Moss in 1998, they were a solid team lacking sizzle.
Moss, who now displays his passive-aggressive pass-catching skills for the Oakland Raiders, transformed the '98 Vikings into one of the greatest offensive teams ever.
Over the course of his career, he transformed the franchise from one appealing to pensioners into the one that has become the center of every sports-minded Minnesotan's universe.
While performing such Kenneth Lay magic on Vikings stock, Moss drove these demographic groups to distraction: Packers defensive backs, NFL defensive coordinators, teammates, coaches, team officials, traffic police, Jack Buck, West Virginia natives, Wisconsin natives, NFL disciplinarians and anyone who might be offended by the phrases "What's $10,000 to me?" and "Straight cash, homey," not to mention cold-weather pantomime strip-teases.
With credentials worthy of the Hall of Fame and manners that would embarrass the Three Stooges, Moss became the most polarizing Minnesota entertainment figure since Prince donned air-conditioned pants.
Only two years ago, with Daunte Culpepper under center and Moss playing when he wanted to play, the Vikings were spectacular mediocrities. Last year, with Culpepper and not Moss, they went 2-5 before Culpepper's knee was shredded, then 7-2 without either of the stars who had defined the franchise.
Tonight, the Vikings will take the field without either Culpepper or Moss in their employ for the first time since Jan. 3, 1998.
Drinkers of the Purple Kool-Aid believe new coach Brad Childress is transforming the franchise. In truth, the franchise had already transformed itself, last season, after Culpepper's injury.
With Brad Johnson at quarterback, the Vikings became a conservative, ball-control team reliant on good defense, special teams and Johnson's brains. When they threw deep, it was usually because of a blown coverage (think Johnson to Koren Robinson in Green Bay) or Johnson's film study (think Johnson to Robinson early in Detroit).
That's exactly what we can expect from Childress. However much he tries to distance himself from Mike Tice's tumultuous regime, all signs point to Childress adopting the same mindset that ruled the Vikings most of last season.
They'll run the ball, most often to the left. They'll throw short. And if they hear defensive backs snoring, they'll sneak in a deep ball.
If the Vikings look different tonight or in coming months, the most telling difference will be in their defense, which could create more turnovers.
Offensively? If training camp practices are any indication, we'll see pass patterns amounting to 3 yards and a cloud of FieldTurf. If the Vikings were any more boring in camp, tonight's game would be on C-SPAN.
Put it this way: If Moss decides not to play, the most eye-catching talent in the Dome tonight will be ESPN's new, bright orange announcer, Tony Kornheiser.
Which begs the question: Does style matter?
Would you rather watch a spectacular talent like Moss thrive for a flawed team? Or would you rather watch a conservative offense play field position and try to win 17-14?
Not that you have any say in the matter. The Purple you'll see tonight will hearken back to the pre-Moss Vikings of the mid-'90s.
They'll feature a solid veteran quarterback (Jim McMahon, Warren Moon, Brad Johnson then; Johnson now).
They'll feature a promising young defensive coordinator who relies on a Cover-2 scheme (Tony Dungy then; Mike Tomlin now). And some of their fans might wonder just what the Purple would look like if they had one spectacular talent, whether that be a quarterback who likes boat parties or a receiver who runs over meter maids, sprays water on referees and moons all of Wisconsin.

Raiders fighting the flu?
The Oakland Raiders may have another fight on their hands as they prepare for tonight`s preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings.
Tight end James Adkisson and backup quarterback Reggie Robertson will both miss tonigt`s game with the flu.
"It`s like that bug is kind of slipping around, one at a time," head coach Art Shell told reporters. "(Trainer Rod Martin) told the team the other night about what to do and what not to do."
Safety Derrick Gibson, cornerback Stanford Routt and tight end Marcellus Rivers had all struggled through training camp with flu-like symptoms heading into this week`s game.
Oakland Raiders
Jerry Porter
will make his debut Monday night.
The seven-year veteran, who demanded a trade less than three weeks ago, is expected to suit up with the second-string unit.
Raiders coach Art Shell said of the disgruntled wide receiver, "If he’s ready to, he’ll go."
Los Angeles Times
Second chance for backup QB
With Kent Smith and others nipping at his heels, quarterback Andrew Walter may be in danger of losing his No. 2 status with the Raiders.
Walter will be the second-string pivot Monday and will see significant time behind centre.
In order to keep his spot, Walter will have to improve on his 3-for-10, 46 yard performance against the Eagles last week.
The quarterback, disappointed with how long he held onto the ball in tight situations, told reporters, "in this offense, it takes timing and a comfort level with the receivers."
Los angeles Times
Asomugha’s finger a concern
Nnamdi Asomugha thought he broke his finger when he collided with teammate Courtney Anderson on Saturday.
X-rays on the starting cornerback’s pinkie finger came back negative, and Asomugha is expected to start against Minnesota Monday night.
On his injury, Asomugha told the Contra Costa Times, "It hurts like heck, but I can live with it."
Oakland will tape the young cornerback’s pinkie finger and his ring finger together, but the treatment seems to have bothered Asomugha in practice.
Minnesota Vikings
Johnson may be a one-quarter QB
Vikings boss Brad Childress will start Brad Johnson at quarterback Monday night, but is not saying how long the veteran will actually play.
Johnson would like to play more than one quarter. He thinks the offense needs more reps to get their timing down. Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell agrees.
"I’d like to play him the whole game, but we know that’s not going to happen," Bevell told the Pioneer Press.
Childress is the one who will make the final decision and he may not release his plans until Monday morning.
Fight for the No. 2 spot
Mike McMahon is also in an intense battle for his backup quarterback position.
Second-round pick Tarvaris Jackson from Division I-AA Alabama State was expected to be the No. 3 quarterback in Minnesota this season. However, the athletic rookie has impressed the Vikings’ staff so much that he recently has started taking snaps with the second team.
McMahon, who played under Childress when the Vikings new head coach was offensive coordinator in Philadelphia last season, was 2-5 as a starter after replacing Donovan McNabb.
The coach says the final decision will depend on which quarterback can move the offense and get them in the end zone in the preseason.
Hicks in unfamiliar territory
Artis Hicks , who played four seasons at left guard and tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles, is having a hard time adjusting to playing right guard for Minnesota.
"I’m doing it backwards. My mind is telling me my feet are backwards when really they’re the way they’re supposed to be on that side," he told the Pioneer Press.
The Memphis alum will get significant time Monday while he tries to learn the position.
Smoot suffers from neck pain
After suffering minor neck pain from knocking helmets with a teammate on Friday, Fred Smoot missed some practice time on Saturday.
The veteran safety returned in the afternoon and seemed fine during Sunday’s morning workout.
"It wasn’t anything. They’re just being precautious," Smoot said to the Pioneer Press.
Head coach Brad Childress said Dovonte Edwards would start at cornerback if Smoot feels any neck pain at all.
If the glove fits, wear it
Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie wore a boxing glove during workouts on the weekend to protect a fracture in his left hand.
McKinnie wore a protective wrap over the glove, and when asked if he’d use it Monday night, he told the Pioneer Press, "Not sure. We’re still experimenting."
Childress thinks it’s a possibility, jokingly saying "You can’t hold on in this game anyway, so what do you need your fingers (for)? They ought to put gloves on everybody."

I've having a real hard time finding a side in this one..You have to like the fact that OAK has a game under their belts, but damn they didn't look all that impressive and might not have even scored in that game if not for all the turnovers..

I have no idea what we'll get from Tavaris Jackson...if he's effective they should outscore them pretty good in the second half...Walter looked god awful last week...he couldn't do anything..had happy feet and no downfield vision at all..

This game sucks...lol

With Shell wanting to get Lamont going and Minny's short passing game, you might be right on that under bet jimmy...they've been the rule more than the exception thus far in the early preseason, which is to be expected....these offense take a long time to catch up the defenses...

Sports Network) - Wide receiver Randy Moss will make his return to the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome on Monday night, when his Raiders take on the Minnesota Vikings in a preseason tilt. Moss played seven seasons as a Viking (1997-2003), earning five Pro Bowl citations along the way, but fell out of favor in Minnesota and was traded to the Raiders in exchange for linebacker Napoleon Harris and a pair of draft picks in March of 2005. Monday will mark Moss' first appearance at the Metrodome since his much-publicized departure, though the wideout is expected to receive only brief playing time in Oakland's second preseason contest.
Oakland will be looking to build upon its first preseason outing, a 16-10 victory over the Eagles in the Hall of Fame Game last Sunday. The win came despite a shaky outing for new starting quarterback Aaron Brooks and the first-string Raiders offense, which managed just 27 yards on 13 plays. Brooks was 1-for-3 passing for 12 yards with an interception and a 12-yard touchdown pass to tight end Courtney Anderson in limited action. Jerry Porter, who did not play against Philadelphia due to a calf injury, could see his first preseason action of the year against the Vikings on Monday. The Raiders looked better on the defensive side of the ball against the Eagles, as cornerbacks Fabian Washington and Dennis Davis both tallied interceptions in the game. Oakland recorded just five interceptions in all of 2005, the lowest figure in the league.
The return of Moss won't be the only major storyline on Monday night, as head coach Brad Childress works the sideline as the Vikings' head coach for the first time. Childress, formerly the offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles, will be looking to reverse the mediocre ways of a franchise that has not posted double-digit wins during a regular season since 2000. Following the departure of Daunte Culpepper, 37-year-old Brad Johnson is now the unquestioned No. 1 starter for the Vikings, and should see limited time on Monday before yielding to backups Mike McMahon and Tarvaris Jackson. Running backs Chester Taylor (ex-Ravens) and Mewelde Moore, who are competing for the starting job in the backfield, should also see all of their minutes in the first half. On defense, the big story on Monday will be the expected debut of linebacker and first-round draft choice Chad Greenway (Iowa), who is expected to play primarily with the second-string. The Vikings own a 3-0 advantage in their all-time preseason series with the Raiders, including a 21-6 victory in the last such matchup, prior to the 2003 campaign. Oakland owns a 8-3 lead in the regular season series, however, extending its advantage by virtue of a 28-18 home win when the teams last did battle, during '03. In addition to that history, the Raiders defeated the Vikings, 32-14, in Super Bowl XI from Pasadena.

JumpOnBoard said:
I've having a real hard time finding a side in this one..You have to like the fact that OAK has a game under their belts, but damn they didn't look all that impressive and might not have even scored in that game if not for all the turnovers..

I have no idea what we'll get from Tavaris Jackson...if he's effective they should outscore them pretty good in the second half...Walter looked god awful last week...he couldn't do anything..had happy feet and no downfield vision at all..

This game sucks...lol

Yeah, but being the degenerates we are, we'll be watching, and we'll have some money on the game.
sgrin.gif
I already layed mine on Oakland ML +115.

SoonerBS said:
Yeah, but being the degenerates we are, we'll be watching, and we'll have some money on the game.
sgrin.gif
I already layed mine on Oakland ML +115.

don't blame u Sooner...I've found info to really support both sides, but a ton more to support neither!! lol

I think I'm going to roll very small on the under tonight..

:cheers:

JumpOnBoard said:
don't blame u Sooner...I've found info to really support both sides, but a ton more to support neither!! lol

I think I'm going to roll very small on the under tonight..

:cheers:

And I'm on the UNDER as well.
And sooner might as well go the extra yard and play the under. As well as he's been doing with them, why stop now?

Back