49ers @ Panthers

TheHbomb

Pretty much a regular
Thought I'd start a thread. These teams met in week 10 in San Fran, with the Panthers winning 10-9 in a slobber knocker. The Niners that game were without Michael Crabtree, Ray McDonald and Quinton Patton. Vernon Davis and Eric Reid both suffered concussions early and missed most of the game.

This was also Aldon Smith's first game back from Rehab. He only played 11 snaps all game.

*Frank Gore ran the ball effectively and averaged 5.1 yards per carry against the Panthers
*Cam Newton did not look good at all. He threw for 169 yards and a passer rating of 52.7
*Kaepernick looked worse. He failed to complete 1 pass for 10 yards or more for the ENTIRE GAME
*Panthers sacked Kaeperick 6 times
*Niners sacked Newton 4 times
*Carolina did not have any significant injuries to note
*Carolina average 3.5 yards per carry on the ground
*Each team had 1 interception and 1 lost fumble
*49ers dominated the first half, but settled for FG's on all 3 scores (9 points) and also lost a fumble
*Panthers shut out SF for the entire 2H
*Time of possession was 32 minutes to 28 minutes in favor of Carolina
*49ers were 2-13 (15%) third down conversions for the entire game
*Panthers were 7-17 (41%) on third down conversions for the game and 6-8 (75%) in the 2H

*Tarrell Brown was matched up with Steve Smith all game and was picked on....he will be the Nickel back this game if Carlos Rogers comes back.

Last edited:
Essentially 49ers were without:

*Michael Crabtree
*Vernon Davis
*Aldon Smith
*Eric Reid
*Ray McDonald
*Quinton Patton

Last edited:
Travel has to be a concern for SF. Going from Arizona to Green Bay to Carolina. Early start (1pm) on Sunday, but that has historically been a non-issue for the Harbaugh-led Niners.

It's very hard to imagine SF playing any worse, offensively.

first big playoff game in NC since Kurt Warner & Co came in and blew them out a few years back......Steve Smith was on that team not sure about the rest.

gonna be a grind-it-out kind of game for sure. hard to see it being a double digit game either way. I teased Carolina to over a td and paired it with the pats

my man Bomb whats happening my brother your a big SF fan. bol with sf

I think San Fran is the best team left in the NFC. Getting Crabtree back is so big for that offense. And with Carlos Rogers probably back next week it only adds to their defense which is one of the best. I expect them to get to Cam and control this game

Without Steve Smith I just don't see how they can compete with the 9ers. SF was a millisecond each time from sacking Rogers and Cam won't trust the protection and he will bail. Except they won't work against us as our front 7 are all capable of running him down.

Without Steve Smith I just don't see how they can compete with the 9ers. SF was a millisecond each time from sacking Rogers and Cam won't trust the protection and he will bail. Except they won't work against us as our front 7 are all capable of running him down.

A few milliseconds and a strangle-hold on Justin Smith. Refs were obviously looking the other way.

Went back to +1 this evening.

Any chance these teams come out chucking? I don't see either team doing much on the ground, and I could see the offenses passing more than normal. Starting to consider an over here....

like over as well, get the feeling both QBs will be tough to get off the field on 3rd down

My take on this game is that Panthers need to pay their dues first by losing in the playoffs before they can start being successful. The 49ers have done that. I know it sounds silly but the playoff experience means a lot IMO

My take on this game is that Panthers need to pay their dues first by losing in the playoffs before they can start being successful. The 49ers have done that. I know it sounds silly but the playoff experience means a lot IMO

This sounds silly.

Carols Rogers will almost assuredly be out for Sunday's game, even though he is listed as questionable.

I suspect that both teams worked on scoring points as opposed to d which they both did well in the last game….possible over and if low scoring first half then i am going to look hard at over in second half….hard to see 4 straight halves going under

Make no mistake about it, if the Panthers are to win, they are going to have to score points today. I like the over here.

People are really fixating about the public betting numbers instead of cappingthegame. Clear advantages for the Niners all over the field.

Harbaugh is so damn conservative at times....I dont trust them to go over. I know its apples to oranges but SF only put up 23 against GB's awful D last week....I dont see them getting more than that today against a rested, stud Carolina D. I teased both sides +7 with UNDER 48 for peanuts. GL today H....

Harbaugh is so damn conservative at times....I dont trust them to go over. I know its apples to oranges but SF only put up 23 against GB's awful D last week....I dont see them getting more than that today against a rested, stud Carolina D. I teased both sides +7 with UNDER 48 for peanuts. GL today H....

Can't argue with your thoughts at all. Good luck with your plays today bud. :shake:

excellent point…struggling with total….thinking i will play sf side only and tease them with sd

Good luck Hbomb. Using the last meeting between these teams as a starting point, I believe the Niners have shown the most improvement, and are the better team than the one that took the field that November day. The numbers would suggest that Carolina has already peaked this season, while the Niners are still trending up.

Back