4 weeks in, what have we learned?

Without fantasy and gambling I wouldn't NFL at all
Bingo. NFL is so ingrained in me that it's hard not to watch but I'm getting closer.
Last Sunday for me started with watching a Texans team who is poorly coached. Their oline is a sieve, their D looks average. Good chance I don't bet on them again to score in high 20's.
The Rams issues start with Goff. Teams are stacking the box so what JG16 does is, he takes the snap and immediately telegraphs where he's going. His oline has 3 new starters playing average and it doesn't help the 2 other starters aren't playing well. You would think because of this Goff wouldn't be stationary but he is. Goff really isnt that bright if you ask me. He's a kid with an ability to throw, but not much upstairs. He's lucky he has McVay.

Last edited:
Bet juju over props next week. Steez are gonna force feed him the ball. All the post game analysts are talking about his 3 reception 15 yard performance tonight. He’ll have to hear about it all week They showed the offensive coordinator and Mason Rudolph both talking to him towards the end of the game. They will want to keep him happy

I would normally agree but it's a tough draw with Marlon Humphrey. He may shut him down.

..and the fact that Ju Ju's routes extend past the LOS. I am going to hit RB receiving props with Pitt. Mason has the ability to throw downfield, but the coordinator doesnt seem to think he can.

I learned that every good defense will force Josh Allen to beat them with his arm. He's still looking for the bigger play downfield EVERY passing play, which has been the main reason for the ints. He has wrs breaking free 6 yards downfield with nobody in front of them, and chooses to test Gilmore 40 yards further with a safety right there. That's just bad football iq. I don't want to jump the gun as that was just his 14th start, but offense was built to run the ball and complete high % passing plays and he wants it all too early. It was a huge stage and he came out shaky, which is understandable. He's a gamer, seems to play better as the game goes on which I like. He's also going to end up a banged up mess like Cam Newton unless he can learn to slide/dive/avoid getting crushed.

The Bills defense is really good. I said it before Tre White should be a household name. Offense is not in sync. Gore has been doing way more than I thought he could yet at the same time any starting rb in the league would have been able to take a couple holes he had to the house. Yes Singletary likely back will help, but I don't expect the offense to suddenly be amazing. They have a big wr target Duke on the practice sqad who caught nearly everything thrown his way in the preseason- and still won't let go of bum ass Zay Jones. It baffles me. I'm not sure Kroft should see the field if/when he gets healthy because Knox is earning that starting position.

Bingo. NFL is so ingrained in me that it's hard not to watch but I'm getting closer.
Last Sunday for started with watching a Texans team who is poorly coached. Their oline is a sieve, their D looks average. Good chance I don't bet on them again to score in high 20's.
The Rams issues start with Goff. Teams are stacking the box so what JG16 does is, he takes the snap and immediately telegraphs where he's going. His oline has 3 new starters playing average and it doesn't help the 2 other starters aren't playing well. You would think because of this Goff wouldn't be stationary but he is. Goff really isnt that bright if you ask me. He's a kid with an ability to throw, but not much upstairs. He's lucky he has McVay.

Every Rams game I watch convinces me more that Goff is a product of amazing coaching and a crazy good wr core. (I was screaming from the rooftops for the Bills to pay Woods but I'm sure he's much happier there).

The Texans will score, too much firepower not to they played a very tough defense. Agree that the Texans defense is no longer scary, so I may look for overs in the upcoming games.

Every Rams game I watch convinces me more that Goff is a product of amazing coaching and a crazy good wr core. (I was screaming from the rooftops for the Bills to pay Woods but I'm sure he's much happier there).

The Texans will score, too much firepower not to they played a very tough defense. Agree that the Texans defense is no longer scary, so I may look for overs in the upcoming games.
I couldn't believe how poor their oline played vs Carolina. It was bad

NFL Network had their power rankings scrolling last night: Pats & Chief were 1 & 2. The next EIGHT teams were from the NFC.

It’s can’t be said enough how important it is for the Saints to have had this 2 and 0 run.
BIG one in the dome.....Jameis can be problematic and the Bucs always tough.
Cmon D. One more time.

How inept are the Falcons? Like wtf

It’s can’t be said enough how important it is for the Saints to have had this 2 and 0 run.
BIG one in the dome.....Jameis can be problematic and the Bucs always tough.
Cmon D. One more time.

How inept are the Falcons? Like wtf
Falcons looked improved to me other than at QB vs the Eagles...

But, these last two games....yuck.

Blow it up.

Week 4: Defensive DVOA - Offensive DVOA

Hv5GFbg.jpg

www.footballoutsiders.com

Week 1: Defensive DVOA - Offensive DVOA
Week 2: Defensive DVOA - Offensive DVOA
Week 3: Defensive DVOA - Offensive DVOA

lines drawn are the MEDIAN - dotted line is 1:1 - Defensive DVOA is reverse to put the BEST defenses on top

edit: Week 4 DVOA Ratings

interesting notes from article...[should read all of it]

• Week 4 is when we start to introduce opponent adjustments, which begin at 40% of their usual strength and will gradually increase by 10% each week until we are at full strength after Week 10.
  • The 2019 New England Patriots are the best defense we've ever measured through the first four games of the season, going all the way back to 1986.
  • The Chiefs are the one team in the top five that hasn't played a very easy early schedule, but they had only a -10.3% DVOA for this week's narrow victory over the Lions.
  • And the Ravens take a big hit from both the introduction of opponent adjustments and their loss to Cleveland this week, with their DVOA dropping by more than half, from 40.1% to 16.4%. Baltimore's rating is being somewhat propped up by that Week 1 game against Miami, which still has the best single-game DVOA of any game this season by any team. That's going to fall as the opponent adjustments get stronger, so the Ravens will have to get back to winning ways to keep their overall DVOA high. The split of Baltimore's DVOA is a bit of a shock. We know the Ravens are one of the rare teams to be consistently good on special teams, so ranking second there is no surprise. The surprise is that the Baltimore offense is currently third and the defense is currently 29th! We knew that the Ravens lost a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball this offseason but they had plenty of strong talent left and they added Earl Thomas. Yet the Ravens rank 23rd in points allowed, and they've allowed over 500 yards in each of the last two games.
  • The most surprising of the NFC teams is probably Tampa Bay. Are the Buccaneers actually ... good? They zoomed up from 20th to seventh in DVOA this week. We expected Tampa Bay to regress on offense and once again be terrible on defense, where they've ranked No. 32 in DVOA the last two years. Instead, Tampa Bay has stayed above average on offense (10th) and has been excellent on defense (sixth). That defensive rating is mostly run defense, however. The Bucs are average in pass defense, but they are the No. 1 run defense in DVOA at -38.5%. It's worth noting that the Bucs are the only team currently in the DVOA top ten that has played a top ten schedule. Based on current DVOA ratings, their past schedule ranks fourth and their future schedule ranks 23rd.

Last edited:
Last Sunday for me started with watching a Texans team who is poorly coached. Their oline is a sieve, their D looks average. Good chance I don't bet on them again to score in high 20's.

also

Rams are 28th at 46.8% pass block win rate. What's surprising is they finished 1st at the end of last season, but not many people are talking about it.

The Offensive line win stats...specifically, the rate at which the OL sustains its blocks for 2.5 seconds on pass plays
explaining the stats.... We created better pass-rusher and pass-blocker stats: How they work

Last edited:

What Can Player Tracking Data Tell Us About the Onside Kick?
Throughout NFL history, it wasn’t uncommon for kickoff teams to line up like they were kicking deep, only to shock both fans and opponents with an onside attempt. Famously, Thomas Morstead of the New Orleans Saints surprised the Indianapolis Colts at the start of the second half of Super Bowl XLIV with an onside kick (one that the Saints recovered). In total, from the start of the 2010 season through the 2017 season, the league averaged 9.4 surprise onside attempts per season.

In 2018, however, there were only five surprise attempts. Through the first four weeks of 2019, we’ve only seen one.

The likely culprit? Changes to the NFL’s kickoff rules.

Prior to the 2018 season, NFL Player Health and Safety and special teams coaches worked together to reimagine the kickoff play — one designed to increase player safety — resulting in a multitude of changes regarding player alignment and allowable blocking types. Concussions on kickoff plays dropped by 35 percent in 2018, but the formation redesign potentially made it more difficult to recover onside attempts. In addition to the drop in surprise onside kicks, the kickoff team has only recovered 6.1 percent of non-surprise attempts since the start of 2018, a rate lower than the league’s historical average of 12 percent. In 2019, teams are 0-for-9 at onside kick attempts through Week 4 (not including recoveries that were nullified by penalties).

During last year’s offseason meetings, the NFL’s Competition Committee debated the merits of a follow-up rule change, proposed by the Denver Broncos, that would have given teams the opportunity to use one scrimmage play per game in place of an onside kick. Although the proposal was not adopted, our football data and analytics crew was able to provide the Committee with insight into how and why onside kicks have changed.

Check out the below animation, which overlays Next Gen Stats tracking data on onside attempts for the kickoff teams and the football, averaged over the course of each of the 2017 (pre-kickoff changes) and 2018 seasons (post-changes). Dots in red correspond to players in 2017, while the blue dots represent players in 2018. Only onside attempts to the kickoff team’s right side are included.

a44ab552b7f7a10cb34b50e31c698ab0bd8ea78e.gif

Three differences stand out.

First, there are six red dots on the right side, compared to five blue dots. As part of the kickoff rule changes, five players must now line up on each side of the kicker.

Second, players on the kickoff team may no longer get a running start, which is why the blue dots (2018 season) begin the play standing still.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, without the running start, players from the 2018 season are no longer able to get down the field as quickly, giving them less of an advantage over the receiving team.

Altogether, each of the above findings provide an explanation for why we are seeing fewer surprise onside kicks and lower recovery rates. Although Denver’s proposal for an alternative did not pass last year, the NFL will continue to use analytical insight to drive potential rules changes.

Last edited:
Back