2ND Half of Season Thoughts

thats simple man, who do u want kidd or smush??

Id rather have john gilchrist than smush ..

Toronto interests me some because they have a good coach, good gm and they play good fundamentals and are young. Atlanta at least from a betting viewpoint because they play hard and get no respect. The Knicks appear to have taken NY. They actually have a lot of talent and I am not sure what their limits are but they get little respect. Tend to think Bulls, Detroit, Cleveland and Miami are overrated with not much betting value. Actually Miami still have some betting value. GL

Dallas seems too popular here...BC made good points and God knows Dallas has the ability to go as far as they want to, but I don't think its that easy to just say no one is stopping the Mavs here....

So I'm as big a conspiracy guy as there is and I believe the NBA is mostly a farce. That said, I have a juicy idea to throw out there.

It's called KG to NJ.

Total speculation on my part, but you want a name to get people coming out in Brooklyn? There it is. It would be even better if you could bring in Telfair and just try to build around those two for a few years.

There's my conspiracy theory for now.

As for the second half, as someone who roots for the Nuggets because they're from my home town (I root for the Knicks because I like 'em), I have to agree that they pick it up in the second half. Not only do they have the talent, they need to because the last couple of spots in the west aren't where you want to be.

Also, going along with my conspiracy thinking, I think the NBA really wants this team to get past the first round.

I also think that somebody needs to make a move before the deadline to balance out the power in the conferences don't they? I mean, Miami's fine an' all, so's Detroit, but would anybody really say they're the beasts that you have in the West?

I think those two hold down the role of 'team' as good as anybody, in that they're well-coached and they play well together, but talent-wise, especially if Kidd goes west, the Eastern Conference is a mess.

:cheers:
Some predictions:

1. LeBron will wake up from his season-long nap and explode the rest of the season.
2. Miami will go on some insane streak, maybe 17-1 out of 18 or so.
3. Wizards will continue to struggle until Jamison returns.
4. Denver will get hot.
5. Seattle and Golden State will be extremely good home teams.
6. The Kings and Clippers seasons will get ugly and trades will be made.
7. Spurs will NOT make the deal they need to make to defeat Dallas.
8. Houston will remain hot as hell, and McGrady will stay aggressive with Yao back.
9. Dirk or Kobe will win MVP.
10. Miami will play Dallas in the Finals once again.

GREAT stuff. Agree with every single point you made except I think Nash will win his 3rd straight MVP (1st that he deserves, IMO). I only see 5 true contenders (DAL DET HOU MIA SA).

East:

1. Heat will win most of the games and again will use rested Shaq in playoffs. He has been injured on propose IMO last years. He cant play whole season+playoffs.
2. Pistons record wont be better, 60% maximum for remainder of the season.
3. I dont like Cavs this year, but record is huge. Lebron can play only better. They need true PG and Snow as backup. Kidd would fit without Mike Brown. If Stern theory is true then Cleveland is dangerous piece.
4. Wizards cant play defense when is needed so no playoff miracle.
5. Raptors are my dark horse since summer trades and draft. Mitchell has proved he is solid coach. This team has bright future. This year only 1st round.
6. Pacers traded half of street-gang, but still this team is full of talent with mental problems. I believe Larry Bird knows why he left SJ and AH go and again will be not favourite oponent in PO.
7. Bulls are great on perimeter, but need some inside scoring. Ben Wallace looks like he is waiting for the right time to explode, if he still can. Pau Gasol is too valueable for them. Deng is key piece in the chemistry. This team has potential for big things with healthy Nocioni.
8. Nets is unpredictable now, but if they would trade Kidd, my feel is they gonna be on downtrend for one year.
9. Magic wo Hill is different team. Howard is the beast, but he still sucks vs veteran centers. New York Knicks is my fav team on 8th spot before Nets and Magic. I like they desire under Zeke and Curry should be All-Star.

West:

1. Dallas is monster, but 44-9 so early is not good thing. I have trust in Avery Johnson and this team has 2 starting lineups. Sure the biggest title candidate not only for record.
2. Suns are nice to watch. Amare is back. But Nash must be MVP, when we see how they struggled wo him last games. They have played better D this season, but can they make decisive stops in playoffs under pressure?
3. Spurs proved they will be ready for playoffs, but future is dark here wo trades.
4. Jazz, wow, Okur raised from Pistons bench player to an All-Star! Boozer is aggressive. Deron is fantastic. And solid bench. Great rebounding. This team has desire. Be aware of them.
5. Rockets are dark horse of many NBA fans. Yao+TMac is super duo. Va Gundy built great system around them with addition of outside threat. Alston is x-factor. Health is key again.
6. Lakers with Kidd-Kobe-Odom and young prospects. Wow, Phil will make miracles from it. If not Kidd, then again hero performances, but stop in playoffs.
7. Nuggets must prove some chemistry to me. It has looked like they play better with Blake on PG than with Iverson. Plenty of talent there, but Karl maybe will miss Andre Miller more than expected. Iverson must show PG skills.
8. Next months are big competition for 8th spot: I believe we have 7 teams that can make it with some winning streak. Team that will be be over .50 for rest of the season will make it! I would say Minnesota or New Orleans.

Everything is so interesting this year. Let's enjoy it! 'an_horse'

East:

1. Heat will win most of the games and again will use rested Shaq in playoffs. He has been injured on propose IMO last years. He cant play whole season+playoffs.
2. Pistons record wont be better, 60% maximum for remainder of the season.
3. I dont like Cavs this year, but record is huge. Lebron can play only better. They need true PG and Snow as backup. Kidd would fit without Mike Brown. If Stern theory is true then Cleveland is dangerous piece.
4. Wizards cant play defense when is needed so no playoff miracle.
5. Raptors are my dark horse since summer trades and draft. Mitchell has proved he is solid coach. This team has bright future. This year only 1st round.
6. Pacers traded half of street-gang, but still this team is full of talent with mental problems. I believe Larry Bird knows why he left SJ and AH go and again will be not favourite oponent in PO.
7. Bulls are great on perimeter, but need some inside scoring. Ben Wallace looks like he is waiting for the right time to explode, if he still can. Pau Gasol is too valueable for them. Deng is key piece in the chemistry. This team has potential for big things with healthy Nocioni.
8. Nets is unpredictable now, but if they would trade Kidd, my feel is they gonna be on downtrend for one year.
9. Magic wo Hill is different team. Howard is the beast, but he still sucks vs veteran centers. New York Knicks is my fav team on 8th spot before Nets and Magic. I like they desire under Zeke and Curry should be All-Star.

West:

1. Dallas is monster, but 44-9 so early is not good thing. I have trust in Avery Johnson and this team has 2 starting lineups. Sure the biggest title candidate not only for record.
2. Suns are nice to watch. Amare is back. But Nash must be MVP, when we see how they struggled wo him last games. They have played better D this season, but can they make decisive stops in playoffs under pressure?
3. Spurs proved they will be ready for playoffs, but future is dark here wo trades.
4. Jazz, wow, Okur raised from Pistons bench player to an All-Star! Boozer is aggressive. Deron is fantastic. And solid bench. Great rebounding. This team has desire. Be aware of them.
5. Rockets are dark horse of many NBA fans. Yao+TMac is super duo. Va Gundy built great system around them with addition of outside threat. Alston is x-factor. Health is key again.
6. Lakers with Kidd-Kobe-Odom and young prospects. Wow, Phil will make miracles from it. If not Kidd, then again hero performances, but stop in playoffs.
7. Nuggets must prove some chemistry to me. It has looked like they play better with Blake on PG than with Iverson. Plenty of talent there, but Karl maybe will miss Andre Miller more than expected. Iverson must show PG skills.
8. Next months are big competition for 8th spot: I believe we have 7 teams that can make it with some winning streak. Team that will be be over .50 for rest of the season will make it! I would say Minnesota or New Orleans.

Everything is so interesting this year. Let's enjoy it! 'an_horse'

Rogino, great post. :shake:

Spurs are sofyt..and only a bit of heart....they will be formidle..but Phx/DAL have much more desire

the desire thing, i disagree...the spurs are the ones with the motivation over the mavs come playoff time...spurs soft? when will you people learn that the regular season is a completely different animal for San Antonio...Phoenix might have more desire to stand out in the West than Dallas/San Antonio due to their lack of success deep in the playoffs..but they are half the team in the crunch of the other two

I don't see why everyone is high on the bulls. Even if they trade for Gasol and improve their scoring on the inside the contenders (cleveland, detroit, and miami) in the east still don't have to double down on him because they are strong on the inside. if they were to add him they still do not have one person on that team who can consistently create his own shot or get the calls down the stretch that dwade and king james get to win a game. that a major problem especially after watching last years playoffs and finals with wade getting every call. even the wizards have a guy now with arenas' growing popularity to get calls. i honestly can't see anyone winning the east besides the heat.
the west is more unpredictible but you will most likely see a mavs vs heat rematch. the suns year is next year with the pick they have from atlanta because they can do a lot with that. plus dantoni doesnt play a deep enough bench during the regular season. it always kills them. the lakers are one year away too. they need a veteran point guard to give them depth and smush sucks. also bynum will be a beast. denver is not deep enough. plain and simple. houston and san antonio are the only teams that i feel can really challenge the mavs. will the spurs have enough gas in the tank and can tmac learn to take over a game when he has to and play a team game when he has to is a big question.

the desire thing, i disagree...the spurs are the ones with the motivation over the mavs come playoff time...spurs soft? when will you people learn that the regular season is a completely different animal for San Antonio...Phoenix might have more desire to stand out in the West than Dallas/San Antonio due to their lack of success deep in the playoffs..but they are half the team in the crunch of the other two

Yes the Spurs are soft. Take away Bruce Bowen and Tim9sometimes) and they are a soft team. Motivation only goes so far. Sometimes you just are not good enough.

They weren't soft 2 years ago, but they are now. That could change as season goes by, but I don't see them winning the thing.

I really really hope the Lakers do not trade Bynum for Kidd--i don't think they will. They need another scorer-Odom has not looked good at all since the injury.
Anyway Memphis parts with Gasol for Bynum plus picks

Yes the Spurs are soft. Take away Bruce Bowen and Tim9sometimes) and they are a soft team. Motivation only goes so far. Sometimes you just are not good enough.

I agree with what Doug Collins said on Sunday night. I feel that the Spurs are playing possum and pacing themselves ala Miami Heat last season. It sounds stupid but the people that said Miami would win it all last season sounded stupid too. I doubt they win it all but it wouldn't surprise me to see them beat Dallas.

Spurs were tougher two years ago.

They are a veteran team which is dangerous...and they could be playing low-key but I just don't think they can beat Dallas in all honesty.

Earlier I said that Dallas is peaking now...I am not saying that ends their chances for a ring. I am just saying that its something to keep an eye on.

Back