2ND Half of Season Thoughts

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Now, season is well past 1/2 over but the ASG is the unofficial midway break.

Lets talk trades, end of season positioning and the teams that will start showing their worth this time of year.

I talked with red about this..
Lakers need kidd, its obvious they need some vets.. unfortunately they have the worst gm known to man

Heat will make a run and go about 70% to end the year..
Ming will come back and then tmac will get hurt.

The Dallas Mavericks have one Pro..one Con

The Con:Peakinh early. Aask the 05-06 Detroit Pistons.

The Pro: Aveneging a near championship miss..motivation..see the 2006 Miami Heat, 2004 Detroit Pistons, the 1991 Chicago Bulls, the 1989 Detroit Pistons, the 1987 LA lakers...and so on...

Detroit, CLE and Indy will have a duel to end year for Central title. Detroit is the best team but after next week the schedule is brutal. For as good as they are on B2B's...both sides..it won't matter...they have most West games left I believe

BAR tail me on these acc picks, they will be extremly sexy..
Waitin on this toms v olbehoser line anything at -150 or under is golden

Heat will make a run and go about 70% to end the year..
Ming will come back and then tmac will get hurt.

Don't know schedule..but say Heat have 30 games left..O'Neal and Wade will only play in 15-20 together...

I think the spurs need to make a deal but there isnt much out there..
Gasol would fit well with the bulls and they might as well give up deng and a pick to get him.

BAR tail me on these acc picks, they will be extremly sexy..
Waitin on this toms v olbehoser line anything at -150 or under is golden
I know your a big Toms fan..as am I..I should have AOL back tonight or morrow.:cheers:

I think the spurs need to make a deal but there isnt much out there..
Gasol would fit well with the bulls and they might as well give up deng and a pick to get him.
It ain't worth Deng for Pau IMO right now..PAU only guarantees a Conference Championship at best

Olbehoser has been out since injuring his back.. like a month ago
Toms played great in scottsdale earlier this year. He has a great matchplay record. and is one of the hottest golfers on tour.

ITs just a sexy pick thats all.

Spurs are sofyt..and only a bit of heart....they will be formidle..but Phx/DAL have much more desire

Olbehoser has been out since injuring his back.. like a month ago
Toms played great in scottsdale earlier this year. He has a great matchplay record. and is one of the hottest golfers on tour.

ITs just a sexy pick thats all.

I totally agree..I saw you talk of it earlier and looked into it a bit.

If the nets trade vince and or kidd they will have a hard time selling tickets for that new stadium. Who is gonna come watch marcus williams and rj??

I talked with red about this..
Lakers need kidd, its obvious they need some vets.. unfortunately they have the worst gm known to man

Lakers need a guy that can score 15-20 in 30 minutes..one of them..they have xapability upon seeding to make Conference Finals..Best player...best "Pippen/Ghill"(odom)....some bodies...and Phil.

If the nets trade vince and or kidd they will have a hard time selling tickets for that new stadium. Who is gonna come watch marcus williams and rj??
RJ has been undervalued for 1+ years now..the guy is a top 15 player if he gets ball.and I used to hate on him.

So true...the Brooklyn Nets need a big name

Its still the Knicks and MSG to compete against

The snead bracket is a fuckin joke.. Bunch of softies in it

Ogilvy has been struggling, even though hes defending champ, he still is beatable

No one goes to watch the Nets now. I cant imagine an easier ticket to purchase...in Brooklyn it will be a novelty at worst for a few years. They aint drawin anyone at the MEadowlands , trust me on that..

that tourney take over for Tuscon then?

Wed..I thought...64...then 32 Thur..round of 16 Fri...8 on Sat...then 4 on Sat as well(36 hole day)..then 2 on Sun(with the 3-4 matchup as well to pretty much fill TV time)

No one goes to watch the Nets now. I cant imagine an easier ticket to purchase...in Brooklyn it will be a novelty at worst for a few years. They aint drawin anyone at the MEadowlands , trust me on that..
No they are not....with that tealent..it should be a sellout..they were in good times earlier this decade when Knicks were even worse.

In NBA...especially now in last 18 years with expansion..its tough to have great talent everywhere...basically 15-20 years ago..two teams could support a city perhaps..not now.

Stern had a good point, lets say vegas gets a team
And they suck.. a la the celtics will fans come or will they check out one of the other 1231 events in vegas.

Some predictions:

1. LeBron will wake up from his season-long nap and explode the rest of the season.
2. Miami will go on some insane streak, maybe 17-1 out of 18 or so.
3. Wizards will continue to struggle until Jamison returns.
4. Denver will get hot.
5. Seattle and Golden State will be extremely good home teams.
6. The Kings and Clippers seasons will get ugly and trades will be made.
7. Spurs will NOT make the deal they need to make to defeat Dallas.
8. Houston will remain hot as hell, and McGrady will stay aggressive with Yao back.
9. Dirk or Kobe will win MVP.
10. Miami will play Dallas in the Finals once again.

LOL---I love the Celtics in misery

Thats what happens when your wife-beating center of many years who also throws sucker punches still lives.

That fucker should be shot

I have my list of teams I will be valuing high the 2nd half of the season (when they get to full strength):

Wizards

Nuggets

Rockets

Warriors

These are the teams that will make serious runs down the stretch...

Some predictions:

1. LeBron will wake up from his season-long nap and explode the rest of the season. I think he will be big...but Mike BRown must be fired
2. Miami will go on some insane streak, maybe 17-1 out of 18 or so. Nah...they will win .600 or more this half but I doubt Oneal or Wade both make it rest of season without nagging..I hope they both play rest of season..that ensures they don't make finals again
3. Wizards will continue to struggle until Jamison returns.
4. Denver will get hot. Totally agree
5. Seattle and Golden State will be extremely good home teams. Totally agree
6. The Kings and Clippers seasons will get ugly and trades will be made. Clippers more so than Kings..Uh-Oh-Maggetio may be a Ston/Heat soon enough
7. Spurs will NOT make the deal they need to make to defeat Dallas.Exactly...this is last chance IMO..manu and Tony are young enough...Timmay is not
8. Houston will remain hot as hell, and McGrady will stay aggressive with Yao back. Totally..darhorse to come outta west as a 6th seed...or so..kinda like 95 Rockets
9. Dirk or Kobe will win MVP. Kobe right now hands down...Dirk can make run..Nash is still most important tho
10. Miami will play Dallas in the Finals once again.
Dallas-Phx will be closer than last year. East is all about Sterns Boys Wade/James....Detroit is better than both teams..and has offene this year...but Stern determines what "should" happen. Its a tossup in all honesty between those three. Cle is worst of 3 and has best shot. It sounds sick but David showed last year how much the NBA is like WWF in DET-CLE and DAL-MIA. Its sick.:down:

Last edited:
as much as i would like to disagree with the big man.. al is 100% right COmpare clevelands roster to detroits.. its not even close. The problem is lebron will have 3 zebras on his side

as much as i would like to disagree with the big man.. al is 100% right COmpare clevelands roster to detroits.. its not even close. The problem is lebron will have 3 zebras on his side

keep trying son ;)

Dallas-Phx will be closer than last year. East is all about Sterns Boys Wade/James....Detroit is better than both teams..and has offene this year...but Stern determines what "should" happen. Its a tossup in all honesty between those three. Cle is worst of 3 and has best shot. It sounds sick but David showed last year how much the NBA is like WWF in DET-CLE and DAL-MIA. Its sick.:down:

I'd say with 85% confidence that you won't see Phoenix in the WCFinals. I'll take the Spurs, Rockets or cough, cough, the Jazz vs Dallas. The seeding will/should become extremely important down the stretch similar to last year creating tons of value for some teams to tank it and others to have must win games. I don't think anybody from the West wants any part of Dallas.

jPICKS..Seeding is huge..I totally agree

Jazz have rebounding..thats big..defense is horrible tho..and as I said..Rockets are a darkhorse

It's not necessarily their "defense". It's their peremiter defense most notably their 2 guard. We've all watched every two guard in the league score 40 on them and I think they'll try to do something about it via trade shortly. They have the players to trade wether it be young guys, expiring contracts or any draft picks they own. If they can find anybody to play the 2 guard they'll have a chance, but I'd definitely lean towards the Rockets or Spurs as the team to face the Mavs myself.

Spurs can be formidable and should not be underestimated but this is the last shot they're having unless they trade for fresh blood. Horry, Finley, Barry, they can all go. The only downside is, they're not trading material, no one will take a bunch of 35 year olds who are playing sub par basketball all season, so Spurs need to fish deeper, try to bring a player with energy, possibly a perimeter shooter who can drive to the basket. Also good ol Brucie won't be around for much, tough to cope with a lot younger teams with more energy, when your experienced players aren't showing signs of experience.

Manu-Timmy-Tony is the backbone obviously, need to build on that. ASAP.
As I said, they're good for this season, they can go far, but no way do I see them getting passed Dallas the way they're looking now.

Some thoughts:

*These Bulls can win the East, mark my words. Even though adding Gasol would sound great, I actually prefer Deng at the moment, Gasol is coming off a bad season, he's battered and bruised and it's a question of how early he can bounce back.
Regardless of the Deng/Gasol possible trade I believe the Bulls look very good, always ungrateful to say but I don't think they are worse than the Heat, if the refs keep it clear (meaning no phantom calls or anything) I would actually go for them over Miami.
The Pistons are better me thinks. But Cleveland? Toronto? Nah.

*The Celtics will keep sucking. Oh my oh my what a bold thing to say :D.

*Very much agree with the guys about Denver. With Nene healthy (and so energetic, he slimmed down, much faster now), healthy Melo and AI, Camby back, I do believe they can go far.

*Can't help myself, but I see once again a Phoenix Sunset in the playoffs. Yeah I know, they're playing like crazy throughout the season, they're more than just RNG, I'm aware. But I think Rockets/Mavs/Spurs/Lakers even Denver (if the prophecy of their upswing is fulfilled) can eliminate them.

I'm not saying the mentioned teams are BETTER, obviously they aren't. I'm just saying we could see a different situation in the playoffs.

*The Houston Rockets: Are my dark dog this season. Their performances have pretty much gone under the radar, and all WITHOUT YAO in the lineup. Or T-Mac. Or Yao again. Oh wait, Yao's back. T-Mac is out. T-Mac played last night. Oh damn, that means Yao is the injured one.
I tend to like JVG's teams, don't ask why, I just do. I also like how they've got all that chemistry in the backcourt, how Mutombo and Juwan Howard have stepped up to compensate for Ming, etc...
Look at their record. Look at their games, they don't get it handed to them very often.

*Mavs peaked too early as BAR said, but they're just too good if you ask me, better than Phoenix, SA, Detroit, Miami, better than anyone. they just need to stay healthy and focused. I believe Little General has learned a lot from last year.

*The New Jersey Nets: Autofade mode on. Depeneds on the lines really, but without Kidd, with Jefferson and Krstić out (even with Jefferson back) these guys are thin, even though the trade is looming and we'll have to wait on that one.

*The Raptors will keep pounding everyone at home, not so much on the road, but I like their European look, a team of shooters with Bosh in the inside. They can kill anyone with their tempo, but they lack that something for the big games. Especially on the road, they tend to get manhandled easily at times.

*Wizards: even with Jamison back I see this team going on a slump for a while. Just not convinced in them, and Hibachi! is taking too many shots again.

*Lakers: Provided they get Kidd, with Kobe+Zen Master+solid teammates they can go far, however...

*I trust Sloan's boys more. The Utah depth. FFS they're playing without Boozer and still getting the W. I would think that EITHER Houston or them could fall apart with their main player back, wouldn't point any fingers now, but these guys have it all. And very much like Houston, they're pretty much under the radar all the time. Well perhaps only when they beat PHX and SA in 3 days time, and WITHOUT Boozer, then everyone were talking about them. Apart from that, they get no respect.
Wouldn't say they are NBA finals material but more of a potential landmine to one of the favorites. Much like the Rockets.

*possible downtrend teams: PHX (they can sweep the regular season I know they will have trouble in the playoffs), SA (yes, SA :(, I hope I'm wrong on this one, just can't see them competing with a lot of the guys not doing their thing, however it's a possibility they pick it up and be ready for the big games ), Minnesota, Washington, Clippers, Nets, Orlando, Sacramento.

*uptrend: Denver, Houston (with Yao back), NY to some extent, New Orleans at home, Utah keep their game, Miami will surely improve on their below .500 record, if healthy they can reach the finals however IMO the Bulls are capable of beating them.

A long shot: Dallas v Pistons the NBA finals.

sorry for the long rant, it's 3:19 here (AM of course :D) and I've got nothing to do LOL. Fucking All Star break :D.

I'd say with 85% confidence that you won't see Phoenix in the WCFinals. I'll take the Spurs, Rockets or cough, cough, the Jazz vs Dallas. The seeding will/should become extremely important down the stretch similar to last year creating tons of value for some teams to tank it and others to have must win games. I don't think anybody from the West wants any part of Dallas.

Similar thinking. :shake:

I dont think the mavs peaked too early
They have 2 all stars and motivation.. theyll be fine

The Dallas Mavericks have one Pro..one Con

The Con:Peakinh early. Aask the 05-06 Detroit Pistons.

I dont quite agree, BAR.

- 2 points about Detroit last year.

(1) while they had a great record before the AS break, they hardly collapsed from then to the playoffs. Crap ATS maybe, but they were 17-5 SU before they accepted they couldnt get HCA off Miami, and finished 4-5 SU. Then in those playoffs, they played their 4th straight Conference Finals series in 4 years (during which time they'd made the NBA finals twice already, winning & losing one). Compared to Dallas who couldnt even make their Conference finals 2 seasons ago. Thats a big difference, IMO. By the time Detroit was playing Miami in 05-06 the freshness of the experience of being that deep in the playoffs was long gone. For this Dallas incarnation, last year was simply their first extension off what they achieved the year before, so whereas I see Detroit as having been in the downward slope off their apex of making the finals 2 years in a row, I still see Dallas on an upward slope.

(2) Detroit had, like Dallas has had, a coaching change during their deep playoff performing arc. But unlike for Dallas, that change wasnt for the better, at least as far as 1 crucial member of the Pistons went. IMO, Detroit waned/failed last season in large part because the energy Wallace got from performing was sucked out by Flip, he's said all but himself. Who knows what negative impact he had on others who haven't been so forthright. Contrast that to Avery who got this Mav's team further than Nelson ever could. The difference between a unity of belief by 1 team in their coach, to the other teams discordance (seen in hindsight) couldnt be clearer.

From my perspective, I don't believe the Mav's are vulnerable because they've shot their load too early - to me, the classic warning signs of having been at the top for too long (Pistons last year) and/or success having gone to the players heads (Mav's havent won anything) aren't present.

And my final point is with injuries to core Mav's players last year, they lost something like 150+ games. This year, they've lost a few games to Stackhouse, and thats it really. If Dallas had been healthy all last season to the extent they've been healthy this season, theres little reason to suspect they couldnt have put up a similar looking regular season record then as they are now. Rather than seeing this present form as *abnormally good*, why can't it be seen as normal for this bunch when healthy? Their form, by the standards of the Bull's 72-10 reg season, is "hardly fantastic", since they've already lost 9 games and arent about to break that particular record.

I think the Mav's will have a lull when they've wrapped up HCA for the playoffs, and that in the playoffs their biggest hurdle comes to making the finals again - IMO if they make it, they're not going to fail again. Your point about avenging finals losses here I think pertinent. Many teams need to lose one before they win one.

Raptors will continue to play well and secure homecourt in the first round of the play-offs.

Raptors usually play well in the 2nd half of the season, problem is they usually start a season horribly and work too hard to overcome a poor start.

thats whats wrong with the nba.. the raptors havin a chance at a 4 seed

WOWSERS

Back