2022 CFL Schedule Released

Free agent frenzy coming in February. More contracts expiring than usual this year. Its gonna be interesting.

Falcons are raiding the CFL for players. Already signed DB Nichols from WPG and WR Lenius from Sask and now are bringing in Kenny Lawler for a workout.

DL Jonathan Kongbo and OL Drew Dejarlais getting NFL workouts too. Winnipeg stands to lose a lot of players this offseason.

Lucky is highest paid receiver in league now as long as he hits his games played bonuses
I wonder who will be throwing to him. Its not a certainty that Reilly would be back. Rourke shows promise but probably needs another season on the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see Masoli end up there.

I wonder who will be throwing to him. Its not a certainty that Reilly would be back. Rourke shows promise but probably needs another season on the bench. I wouldn't be surprised to see Masoli end up there.
And hes done

Cant go in to next season with Rourke and not at least have a 1A/1B situation

If he wins it in camp that's one thing, but csnt hand it to him

they need to fix the OL even more now, Reilly papered over so many of those holes

Receiver group probably has best duo in league in lucky and burnham, tons of promise in the young guys behind them, but need OL to be a lot better now

And hes done

Cant go in to next season with Rourke and not at least have a 1A/1B situation

If he wins it in camp that's one thing, but csnt hand it to him

I'm sorry to see Reilly go but its no surprise given the physical beating he's taken over the past few seasons.

I doubt Masoli would sign there when Rourke looks like the heir apparent by 2023 at the latest.

One dark horse QB is Matt Shilz from Montreal. I'm not sure what his contract status is but I could see Montreal being willing to deal him if hes under contract.

they need to fix the OL even more now, Reilly papered over so many of those holes

Receiver group probably has best duo in league in lucky and burnham, tons of promise in the young guys behind them, but need OL to be a lot better now
Last I checked, Burnham wasn't signed but they did ink Rhymes to an extension just in case. He's no Burnham, but he's got some speed to complement Whitehead.

Last I checked, Burnham wasn't signed but they did ink Rhymes to an extension just in case. He's no Burnham, but he's got some speed to complement Whitehead.
Forgot about burnham, you're right

They have a lot more money to play with now

I missed this bit of news...

He looked to have lost a step in 2019 so I'm not sure this is gonna work out after 2 years off

BC re-signs Burnham.

Now that they've dumped Reilly's big contract and plan to start Rourke on a rookie deal, they have enough cap space to make a bunch of free agent signings. I expect them to be very active.

And the Elks sign Adarius Bowman and Emmanuel Arceneaux?? Chris Jones is off his rocker.

BC re-signs Burnham.

Now that they've dumped Reilly's big contract and plan to start Rourke on a rookie deal, they have enough cap space to make a bunch of free agent signings. I expect them to be very active.

And the Elks sign Adarius Bowman and Emmanuel Arceneaux?? Chris Jones is off his rocker.
Elks are building the greatest 2015 receivers room of all time

if covid restrictions let up id like to do my bachelor party in Montreal this summer and an alouettes game seems like it would be a fun idea. Any insight into their games? Fun? Easy to get tix? Etc.

Last edited:
if covid restrictions let up id like to do my bachelor party in Montreal this summer and an alouettes game seems like it would be a fun idea. Any insight into their games? Fun? Easy to get tix? Etc.
Montreal would be a bomb place to have a bachelor party. ALs tix should be pretty easy to get given how bad they've been for the last 10 years. The stadium is old and decrepit but its got a ton of history and an amazing location. Built into the side of Mont Royal on the campus of Mcgill University, if you got a seat on the west side you used to be able to overlook downtown from your seat. I'm not sure how the view is now that theyve built a second deck on the east side though.

Free agency starts imminently.

Masoli signs with Ottawa. Big get for them but what they desperately need is receivers and an offensive line or theyre not going anywhere.

Montreal dumps Matt Shilz and signs Dom Davis. That looks like a straight up mistake. Davis has arm strength but precious little else.

Hamilton immediately picks up Shilz which is a great signing. He will be a very competent backup behind Evans. They still have David Watford too so a very healthy QB situation.

That leaves Edmonton and BC looking for QBs. Elks have Nick Arbuckle under contract and just signed JT Barrett but he won't be doing anything. I doubt they re-sign Trevor Harris so maybe he heads to BC? but I'm not sure he wants to take a backup role. Another guy who could be available is Matt Nichols. Assuming his shoulder is healthy he could be a good 2nd option in BC but they'd have to give up something for him.

Meanwhile in Edmonton Chris Jones continues doing Chris Jones things...signing every NFL castoff he can find. They appear to have lost the QB sweepstakes so they'd better hope Arbuckle works out.

Looks like Jaelon Acklin following Masoli to Ottawa. He's a decent receiver but his playing time will be limited in Hamilton as they just signed Lamar Durant and will likely go with 2 NAT receivers in 2022.

Ottawa also signing Kwaku Boateng and Lorenzo Mauldin. Boateng is a big get for them. Mauldin looks ready to step into a starters role.

Micah Johnson signs with Hamilton. That should shore up the run defence although he's in the twilight of his playing days I think.

Sask re-signs Duke Williams. I didn't think he looked as dominant after returning from the NFL but maybe he just needs a full season to get in sync with Fatardo.

Green Riders losing Luchiez Purifoy to the Lions. They already lost Ed Gainey so thats a big hit to their secondary.

Lions sign Delvin Breaux coming out of retirement. He looked to have lost a step in 2019 so not sure how much gas he has left. They also signed Sean Whyte away from Edmonton which is a huge deal with so few good kickers around. If they can just add some help along the lines this team will be very good.

Edmonton makes Kenny Lawler the highest paid receiver in the league while Greg Ellsingson moves to Winnipeg.

Andrew Harris looks to be done in Winnipeg. Itll be interesting to see if anyone wants to pick him up. BC probably has the cap space to do it and a ratio breaking RB would certainly help them on the OL.

So far the Lions and Redblacks are making the most noise in free agency. Calgary is getting stripped bare.

Darvin Adams and Shaq Johnson both going to Ottawa. They now have some shiny new receivers to go along with their new QB. I always thought Adams was one of those guys who benefitted from the scheme as much as his talents. Fortunately for him the architect of that scheme is his new HC.

This is one of the busier free agency opening days in a long time

Ottawa +1600 future is looking interesting right now. They just need to add another OL or two and they will have a winning record this year

BC working on deals with David Menard and Stove Richardson. That would def improve their DL.

They and Ottawa are easily the FA winners today. Calgary far and away the loser

BC signed QBs Michael O'Conner and Isaac Harker to fill out their QB roster. They'd better hope Rourke works out because theres not a lot of experience in that bullpen.

Ottawa signs Patrick Levels and Money Hunter. 2 solid acquisitions.

I bet 0.1* on Ottawa to win the Cup +2500. Going from worst to first in a season is not impossible in the CFL and they have revamped their entire team and look to have all the pieces in place to make a run. It will take some time to put together but with a full 18 game sched in 2022, it can happen.

FLhG7QFXoAUFIGi

Anywhere but toronto

Hes one of those guys that the missed season really hurt, I wonder if he can bounce back with a proper offseason
I think hes taken too much abuse. Hes so little that he routinely gets sent flying by tacklers and I used to cringe at how hard he got smacked. I think that all adds up over the years.

I think hes taken too much abuse. Hes so little that he routinely gets sent flying by tacklers and I used to cringe at how hard he got smacked. I think that all adds up over the years.
I just looked up his stats and I didnt realize how much time he missed, the avg per reception is biggest red flag, almost cut in half from 2019 to 2021

Any word on what the USFL is paying? I doubt they'll be competing for top talent yet but if they survive a few years they will be.

And how about the team that drafted 4th? That logo looks like something the chinese communist party would churn out.
Haven’t seen contract details yet.

Each round every team had to draft a specific position.

B4760CBA-B6DE-4F88-AD0B-A72B49FF79B6.jpeg
Yesterdays schedule

So apparently all players had to agree to a $45,000 USD contract with a $1k/win bonus to be eligible for the USFL draft.

That's well below the exchange rate adjusted CFL rookie minimum but its for only 10 games so less wear and tear on the body and the big advantage to playing USFL ball is the season ends before the NFL starts so players have a chance to play their way to the show in the same year.

With the governors meetings going on there is all kinds of rules changes being bandied about.

One tyhat caught my interest is a proposal to limit the number of punts to 4 or 5 per team, sort of like timeouts. It would be a major change to the game for sure but I could see it being interesting by forcing teams to choose when they go for it on 3rd down.

One proposed change that seems to be getting some attention is to move the hash marks closer together. This is a change I would be in favour of. It would open up the wide side seam and create more space for that side. It could open up 2-3 more big plays per game. And I doubt the average fan would even notice the difference.

Back