2019 Dollaz

Dollaz

Pretty much a regular
Quick little writeup, not a ton of time.

ODU preview- Question marks, but lots of talent at QB (JUCO player of the year in Stone Smart, former Mich State QB deWeaver, returner Williams, highly regarded freshman Wolfe). Not sure what we have at QB, but I have heard good things about Smartt, who is expected to get the most time.

RB is strong, very strong. WR is weak, very weak. OL is a question mark as well, I think they will be ok but it will take time to gel.

Unless the QB is very good, I don't expect a ton of offense from this team.

Defense should be significantly better. The DL is probably a tad bit weak, but much better at LB and secondary.

There was a complete overhaul of the coaching staff outside of HC so there is some hope there (added Stinespring, former VT OC and Blackwell, former ECU DC that made improvements there last year) It was a complete overhaul of the roster as well with 48 new players...lots of JUCOs and transfers. It's Wilders last grasp attempt at keeping job (which I disagree that he should be on hotseat, but whatever).

The hope is that the upgrade in coaching will make a difference, but its hard to predict with so many players that I've never seen before outside of practice. I would predict 3-4 wins, but there is some hope that QB will be good and the defense improves. Probably should def fade early.

Yes. But he hasnt looked good in camp. He will likely play a little tomorrow though.

Supposedly he has some big time talent?
He was a low 4 star if I remember right coming out of Ohio. He was committed to UM but that is when Hoke was let go... he wasn't part of the new plans so he ended up at MSU where they thought he was the 'next big thing' but was really never heard from. He always seemed like a really good kid though following his recruiting years back.

He was a low 4 star if I remember right coming out of Ohio. He was committed to UM but that is when Hoke was let go... he wasn't part of the new plans so he ended up at MSU where they thought he was the 'next big thing' but was really never heard from. He always seemed like a really good kid though following his recruiting years back.

Low 4 star is big time for us :)

But, I take all the former 4 star recruits that are now in G5 with a grain of salt because of instances like this where a former 4 star might be 4th best QB on the team.

Norfolk state +27 big. Shocked by this number. Too much turnover. ODU will be rotating players in

Even if they have a big lead, Wilder will play it safe against crosstown “rival”

Hes a big name locally. He way behind in the pecking order on offense so not a bad deal for us. (Not even OC). Basically TE/Assist OL coach
Good to hear, hopefully for you guys he will just be a name for recruiting with others making football coaching decisions. Do not let them promote him to OC or QB coach.

Good to hear, hopefully for you guys he will just be a name for recruiting with others making football coaching decisions. Do not let them promote him to OC or QB coach.

He has a laundry list of whos who that he recruited to VT so I think he gets a bad rap.

Either way though, I dont want him promoted.

This game has intrigued me. Virginia in FSU / ND sandwich.

Yes. That is part of it. Its in state but UVA doesnt care about ODU. They certainly are looking forward to Notre Dame.

ODU has an extra week to prepare. This team was garbage all camp but looked better vs VT. Think the team improves over the course of the season and having 2 weeks to prepare is a help.

FAU vs. the opponets:

OSU Outgained 3.2 yards per play
UCF Outgained by 5 yards per play
Ball State Outgained by 0.5 yards per play
Charlotte They outgained Charlotlte by 1.7 yards per play
MTSU- Outgained 1.3 yards per play
Marshall Outained 1.1 yards per play

So Im analyzing FAU and they have only outgained there opponent on a play by play basis one time and that was against Charlotte. Poor running team that is ok through the air by allow a ton of sacks and tackles for loss. ODUs offense is probably worst in college football. FAUs defense is pretty bad giving up 6.2 yards per play. MTSU put up 4.3 yards per run and 8 yards per pass, for example. So while ODUs offense is awful, its a bit of a class relief after facing VT, UVA, Western Kentucky, Marshall, ECU, and UAB. Outside of Norfolk State, this will be the worst defense ODU has faced all year and they have looked slightly better with deWeaver under center. They possibly (not that I'm banking on it) get their best WR back and their best RB seems to be improving (looked better last week). Im not expecting ODU to move the ball all over the field, but I'm expecting them to look better this week vs. a weak defense.

Moving to FAUs offense...they are averaging 3.3 yards per rush and 7.7 yards per pass. The run game looks pretty weak this year and the passing game has been ok at times, but they give up 3 sacks per game and a bunch of tackles for loss. ODUs defense is about pressure and getting to the backfield, so I do expect some of that this weak. ODU's defense is decent...allowing 3.6 yards per rush and 7.9 yards per pass (been more about giving up too many big plays), but have gotten some turnovers.

Lane is gonna try to run a lot of plays while ODU is going to try to run very few.

I got this 30-23 FAU. Substantial bet on ODU at +14. Just a tiny bet on o50.5

Just got a feeling this week......ODU+500 and ODU +14.5.

Substantial bets for me.

MTSU is trending the wrong direction and are a team centered around the running ability of the QB. I feel like ODU has done pretty well vs. that type of QB this year (UTSA, ECU, UVA)

ODU is terrible but they have a little bit of life on offense with the freshman QB now playing and off an extra week of practice with a bye. I believe the best RB should be close to healthy now. Return their best defensive player.

I had this number lower so going with the value on the ML.

Dollarz , Not really surprised of Rice's infrequent win - But, man Rices' schedule is brutal - Does that
play into any reconsideration where ODU is concerned or is MTSU not that talented? To clarify,
Rice plays some big boys.

Dollarz , Not really surprised of Rice's infrequent win - But, man Rices' schedule is brutal - Does that
play into any reconsideration where ODU is concerned or is MTSU not that talented? To clarify,
Rice plays some big boys.

I do believe Rice is better than their record. I dont think they are good though.

MTSU has a ton of injuries. ODU is getting somewhat healthy. The ODU offense is not good but its better with Wolff at QB.

This is more of a play on not believing in MTSU

Do you assess that situation as players playing for him and how would you say their team leadership is? I remember they were heavy upperclassman last year.

Lots of young players. Players like him for the most part. They wont mail it in, lots of freshman playing. Inmight expect a senior to mail in last couple games but they have very few.

If they get blown out, its cause they suck, not mailing it in.

What are the chances you were a week early on the upset call?

MTSU was playing their final HG off the disappointing Rice loss.

Charlotte on the other hand rolls into Hampton Roads having only won one road game all year (a noncovering 7 pt win at UTEP) and they just got down partying like it was 1999 after the win last week.

Would seem a prime opponent to be playing this week.

Only if ODU has anything to offer. Outgained MTSU last week 423-391.

What do you think?

What are the chances you were a week early on the upset call?

MTSU was playing their final HG off the disappointing Rice loss.

Charlotte on the other hand rolls into Hampton Roads having only won one road game all year (a noncovering 7 pt win at UTEP) and they just got down partying like it was 1999 after the win last week.

Would seem a prime opponent to be playing this week.

Only if ODU has anything to offer. Outgained MTSU last week 423-391.

What do you think?

Not against it. Havent really dug in too much but I dont think Charlotte isnthat good; particularly on defense. ODUs offense finally started rolling a bit last week and is slightly improving.
I do think ODU plays hard. Senior Day. MAybe Wilders last game.

Back