2018 BELMONT STAKES

GameHunter

Pretty much a regular
2018 BELMONT STAKES

It’s going to be an exciting day today at Belmont. I like to proceed with a bit of caution when posting previews. As many who follow me know, I crushed it at the Preakness and did very well in the Derby. I don’t always win so please don’t expect me to be spot on every time. Please use this guide to better understand the ten athletes running today in helping you formulate your own opinions, as much, or more, than just blindly following mine.

Now, more importantly, I don’t ask for any direct benefit from my followers. However, I do ask followers, particularly those who appreciate my extensive posts and those who have made money betting major race events (or baseball) from my posts to step up and make a difference.

While in today’s Belmont Stakes you will see the “game’s” top three-year-old athletes, there is a HUGE problem in the racing industry. Often times, less successful horses are discarded and in several instances, heartless owners and trainers sell their non-profitable horses to the kill lots to be shipped to slaughter. It’s HORRIFIC! The problem is rampant in Louisiana where MANY horses are discarded and sent to kill lots to be sent to Mexico to be slaughtered. Less than a month ago, we were able to help rescue 17 of such horses, many of whom had raced just weeks earlier at tracks in Louisiana. The pictures of how they are treated and the sadness in their faces is heart wrenching. Outcries from many to Louisiana horse officials, horsemen and the government have fallen on deaf ears and the problem is worse than ever. I will never wager one dollar on a Louisiana track until the problem is properly addressed. Remember, a portion of every dollar bet into race pools goes to the state and horsemen at such track.

I am asking followers for two things.

1. Boycott betting on Louisiana tracks and use your voice to make a difference. Please post #BoycottLouisianaTracks on Twitter and/or Instagram and let’s try and make a difference that people do care about all horses and that our voice is heard.

2. There are some outstanding charities that rescue horses. They are 100% legit. I ask that many of you make some sort of donation to charities that rescue horses. I am very fond of these two causes and vouch for the love and passion they put into saving so many beautiful animals and the great use they make of donations:

https://www.icareihelp.com/

https://www.adoptahorse.org (Standardbred Retirement Foundation)

PLEASE STEP UP TODAY AND MAKE A DONATION! Let them know GameHunter sent you so we can show that our Twitter family makes an impact. I have no direct affiliation with these charities other than being thankful about the care and love they give in saving and caring for the athletes of this great sport.

Now, on to handicapping. As I preached in my Derby preview, as there are many beginners who may read this, when handicapping a race, the key it not necessarily to pick the most likely horse to win the race, rather to find the best value. In this year’s Belmont, there’s no doubt that Justified is the most likely horse to win this race. That is why he is the favorite and his odds will be the shortest; however, the key may be to find a horse that may be slightly less likely to win, but based upon his much higher odds, offers the best value. Simply put, let’s say there was a three horse race and I told you #1 would win 50% of the time, #2 will win 30% of the time and #3 will win 20% of the time. Who would you pick to win? If you answered the question already, you are getting left back to repeat this course. You don’t have enough information. The key to betting on horse racing is VALUE and you would need to know more about the odds to ascertain where the value is. Now, let me add in the odds in this fictitious horse race, #1 is 1:2 odds, #2 is 2-1 odds and #3 is 6 to 1. So, if we run this race 100 times, and you bet $2 to win on each, #1 would be a losing proposition (-$50) winning 50% of the time, #2 would be a losing proposition (-$20) winning 30% of the time and #3 would be a winning proposition (+$40) winning 20% of the time. So the best value would be #3 despite the fact that he is the least likely to win.

Lesson: Look for the best value.

#1 JUSTIFY – There’s something about a horse seeking the Triple Crown that just brings magic to the Sport of Kings. Overcame the Curse of Apollo becoming the first horse in 136 years to win the Kentucky Derby not having races as a two year old.
His Derby effort was eye lifting but while the win in the Preakness was nice, many consider it somewhat pedestrian in that it was a weak field and the time and splits were far from awe inspiring. His sheet number regressed a bit in the Preakness. Let’s face it. He’s a super horse (5 for 5 so far) but I don’t see Secretariat here. He is one of only two today that have raced in all three Triple Crown events, which makes this his 3rd race in 5 weeks against better-rested foes. In addition, it’s his 6th race in less than 4 months and the last two in the mud have been demanding. He also isn’t bred as well as several others here for the demanding 1 ½ mile distance. It’s tough for me to see Justify putting up a figure in the Belmont like he did in the Derby, however, that is not to say he can’t win this. His chances increase if it rains heavily on Saturday as three of his 5 wins have been on off tracks. Regardless, if he gets an easy lead in a comfortable pace, everyone else will be running for minor spoils. He has one of the greatest trainers of all time in Bob Baffert. As stated above, Justify is the most likely winner but that doesn’t necessarily “JUSTIFY” investing at odds that will likely be 2:5 ($2.80 on a $2 bet). If you bet against the last 13 horses entering the Belmont Stakes seeking the Triple Crown, you would only have lost once (American Pharoah). He’s obviously a must use at the top of tickets but I will be using several horses on the top of exotic tickets hoping to beat him.

#2 FREE DROP BILLY – One of the longshots in the field. Do we toss him out? I say, “NO” but check the weather. If the track is sloppy, I would toss him but it looks like the rain is now out of the forecast. Small chestnut colt that should love extra distance as he is bred out of 2012 Belmont winner, Union Rags. Won the G1 Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland
as a two year old, putting away Bravazo as he high stepped down the stretch but flopped at the Breeders Cup in the Juvenile after making a strong middle move up the dead rail. Steady pattern as a three year old until the Derby where he absolutely flopped and word I heard from insiders who know the owners is he hated the sloppy track. Ran a strong figure when wide in the Bluegrass prior to the Derby. Several of his early races found him pinned down on the inside and dealing with traffic so this position in the #2 post (same as Derby) is nothing new for him. His sheet numbers are decent and he’s got a shot in here if the track condition is FAST. Has hit the board in 7 out of 8 career races and comes in off 5 weeks rest. If the track condition isn’t sloppy, I will be using “Billy” in the mix.

#3 BRAVAZO – Personally, his run in the Preakenss was bittersweet for me as his explosive finish helped me cash big on the trifectas and superfectas, but the fact that I made a sizeable play on him to win on a prop bet at +4050 (his true odds were 15:1), left me dreaming about the laundry bags full of cash I would have been carrying home that day. Bravazo’s 6th place effort in the Derby was way better than many realized. He had a horrendous trip and had to travel a further distance than any other horse in the race. My notes leading up to the Derby read, “After two wins to start 2018, including a game nose win in the Risen Star, he turned in puzzlingly poor performance in the Louisiana Derby, finishing eighth and beaten by 21 ¼ lengths. In that race, he traveled four wide through the backstretch in a stalking position, lugged out entering the far turn, and then folded. His prior two wins as a 3-year-old came after he closely pressed the pace, but he settled farther back in the Louisiana Derby and that may have cost him. He has failed to show up in a few races, which is a concern. He’s not fast enough.” Thankfully, my opinion changed before the Preakness. He has some tactical versatility and should be right off the lead early. He has handled long distances on sloppy mud well, however, the bottom side of his pedigree raises serious questions for excelling at a mile and a half. He is the only other horse here, other than Justify, to run in all three Triple Crown events. Quite frankly, my opinion has changed again. If the track comes up fast, I do not like Bravazo. I think they are asking too much of him here in a short period of time and he has not proven he is fast enough to me on a fast track. If it’s sloppy again, I will sprinkle him into the bottom of exotic bets.

Last edited:
#4 HOFBURG – Likely wise guy horse. Son of Tapit, who is the father of 3 of the last 4 Belmont Stakes’ winners. My notes leading up to the Derby read, “This colt has the least racing experience in the Derby field with only three career starts, but he has flashed exciting potential this year and is an intriguing under-the-radar horse. He made his career debut back in September at Saratoga, finishing fourth in a seven-furlong maiden race, and then was away for six months before gamely winning a 1 1/16-mile maiden race on the Fountain of Youth undercard at Gulfstream Park. His connections decided to make a big class jump by starting him in the Florida Derby, and Hofburg validated that choice by posting a solid runner-up finish behind Audible, hitting the wire 7 ¾ lengths clear of third-place finisher Mississippi. Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott rarely brings 3-year-olds to the Derby and is renowned for patiently developing his charges, so this colt’s presence under indicates just how highly his connections think of him. His pedigree is suitable to the Derby’s mile-and-a-quarter distance, Well rested. He’s still a bit “green” and his sheet numbers are a bit too slow for top honors but he’s another who can fill out the superfecta at a nice price.” My notes from the Derby show how he had possibly the worst trip of any horse in the Derby: “Bumped at start. Dove inside. Saved ground. Dropped back to 19th. Completely jammed up on final turn. Swung into three path around final turn and was completely shut off then swung 5-6 wide coming out of final turn, only to be jammed up again. Was then wrangled into the middle of the track and when finally got room, passed 7-8 horses in stretch and quite possibly finished the race closing stronger than any other horse and galloped out strongly after the wire.” I implore you to watch the Derby posted above and follow the #9 horse’s trip with the jockey wearing the pink cap. With a clean trip, Hofburg has a real shot. Hard to understand why his morning line odds are so low at 9/2 as I was hoping he’d offer more value but and I will still definitely be using.

#5 RESTORING HOPE – He’s the other Bob Baffert trained horse in the Belmont. Has decent early tactical speed but is this Baffert trained horse really going to pressure Baffert’s Justify early on and make his life tougher? Ran a decent race in the Wood Memorial where he was beaten by Vino Rosso but flopped in his most recent race in the Pat Day Mile in the slop. Breeding says he can go long. He’s a bit of a tough horse to figure here. Seems like the owners and not Baffert pushed for him to be in here today and it’s a bit awkward that he likes to be near the lead with Justify wanting the lead. He’s not a complete toss out here and I may sprinkle into bottom of superfecta tickets.

#6 GRONKOWSKI – Will easily be the most overbet horse in the race by many non-horse fans, who love football. Not sure how his morning line is 12-1 as I see him more like 40-1 or higher. Ships in from Europe. He won four in a row in Britain, all at the 1-mile distance, before being transferred to New York-based trainer Chad Brown to prepare for the Belmont. British racing is different than a race like today’s.
Makes his first North American start after being scratched out of the Derby due to illness. He’s never run in this country and has never run on a pure dirt track. Has interesting turf pedigree but even his best numbers overseas pale in comparison to the top runners here. Mendelsohn crashed and burned shipping from overseas for the Derby and I can’t see Gronkowski making much of a statement here. He’s not for me (and probably not for Jets’ fans either) and I will be tossing him out and looking to go against him in some head-to-head bets.

#7 TENFOLD - Very lightly raced. His Arkansas Derby was better than it looked. His Preakness was awfully good. He was forced wide early when Diamond King got in his way and jockey Ricardo Santana may have moved too soon. Had he been a bit more patient, he probably would have gotten at least 2nd in the Preakness. He is steadily improving and bred to go long but I am not sure he can improve again just three weeks after the Preakness.

#8 VINO ROSSO – Always be cautious of a Todd Pletcher trained horse in the Belmont. After two modest efforts in stakes races at Tampa Bay Downs – third in the Sam F. Davis Stakes; fourth in the South Tampa Bay Derby – he responded to a change in scenery edging clear from Enticed (after bumping that foe) and winning the Wood Memorial
in a race that set up perfectly for a closer like him. It should be noted he put away #5 Restoring Hope with ease. Struggled with the #18 post in the Derby with a very wide, “mud in your face” trip finishing 9th. He shows the 2nd best single race (the Wood) figure of any horse in this race after Justify. He’s bred to go long and he’s well rested.

Last edited:
#9 NOBLE INDY – Another for Todd Pletcher’s and one of Pletcher’s four in the Derby, that probably the one that received the least fanfare despite winning three of previous four previous career races. Was sensational winning the Louisiana Derby; albeit against what many consider as a somewhat weak field. He contested a hot early pace that collapsed. He was passed in the stretch and came back on to win
Note he beat Bravazo with ease in the Louisiana Derby. He drew the #19 post at the Derby and struggled to get good early position. He’s one of the few with strong early speed to duel with Justify early but is owned by the same group as Justify so again, there’s a strange dynamic there. Pedigree suggests he won’t like this distance. Co-owner Mike Repole, a New Yorker who is also partners in Vino Rosso, wants to win the Belmont more than any other race. He should be heard from early but being that early speed is his game, he’s the one that may have to deal with Justify early on. Tough to see him there in the end. He’s not horrible but can’t see using him outside of the bottom of the superfecta.

#10 BLENDED CITIZEN - Qualified for the Kentucky Derby (he was 21st on the points list) but just missed Instead won the Grade 3 Peter Pan with a stout stretch rally May 12 as a prep for the Belmont
in a race though where he got a cushy trip. Blended Citizen brings improving form into the race for Doug O’Neill and is the only member of the field with a start and win over the track. Has displayed better tactical speed as he doesn’t want to be too far back in early stages. Blended Citizen looks capable of rallying into the frame for a minor award in the latter stages. His win at the Peter Pan Stakes] does matter. That was the best race of his life. Not sure he’s truly bred to go 12 furlongs today. His sire was more of a horse better a little shorter than that. Other horses he produced in the past were not long horses. He’s a shows some nice rally in shorter distances. The Peter Pan was far shorter than today’s Belmont. It only had one turn. He’s tough for me to use today outside of maybe the very bottom of a superfecta ticket if even that.

I will be playing combinations that heavily use my top contenders:

#4 HOFBURG

#1 JUSTIFY

#8 VINO ROSSO

#2 FREE DROP BILLY

#7 TENFOLD

Last edited:
Great read. Thank you for posting.

I will be on Hofburg.

One piece of advice that I have for people is to not bet Justify to Place or Show. I just feel like this many races in close proximity to each other that the ownership has likely informed the Jockey to not push the horse if he isn't going to win. Meaning ... if he gets passed in the stretch and he knows he is not winning, the jockey may not be whipping Justify in the stretch run. That horse getting hurt just has to be a huge concern for the ownership imo. So for those interested in backing Justify, it's my opinion that it should be a win only bet.

Great read. Thank you for posting.

I will be on Hofburg.

One piece of advice that I have for people is to not bet Justify to Place or Show. I just feel like this many races in close proximity to each other that the ownership has likely informed the Jockey to not push the horse if he isn't going to win. Meaning ... if he gets passed in the stretch and he knows he is not winning, the jockey may not be whipping Justify in the stretch run. That horse getting hurt just has to be a huge concern for the ownership imo. So for those interested in backing Justify, it's my opinion that it should be a win only bet.

Interesting theory and makes a lot of sense. Good luck!

Back