2018-2019 Offseason

Glad he didnt go to the Giants and glad the Dodgers did not bend and give him a 10 year contract. I would have gladly offered 40 mil a year on a short term contract but 10 years is too much. I have to say, watching Phillies fans on twitter has been the joy of the offseason for me. They went from...he is coming here and we love him to he is gonna sign elsewhere he is over rated so fuck him and right back around to celebration. That Philly fan base is something else man.

Seems like a very strange deal to me. Only 25 mil a year but for 13 years. By most accounts the Dodgers were willing to go 5 years and give him 40 mil a year. He would have been able to get another contract in his prime.

13 years is more than half a generation. Baseball is being phased out as it is, kids are bored with the game. What an fucking dumb contract by the Phils

By then 3 on 3 hoops will be more lucrative

Phillies have the golden goose with their TV deal. May as well spend it. Huge upgrades at C, SS, and now won't have Rhys butchering balls in LF. Cutch and BH aren't great in the outfield but better than what they rolled out there last year.

Sorry I can't scroll down. Okay ....I'm going to be an annoying futures bettor with my January Phil's 18-1 bet. LFG.

Last edited:
Um baseball will go the way of the family...it's a keep it smart kid sport. Perfect for the summer.

Which is the issue going forward, it's easy for parents (single especially) to drop off for camp or whatever, parental participation will be vital. This isn't some theory, it's very real and thought about immensely.

Not easy in this environment to keep children interested for so long. Would anyone be upset if the sport was shortened to 7 innings?

At 43 I absolutely hate the thought of spending 2.5 hours at the ballyard. Can't imagine what a child thinks.

Question for you baseball guys

Where would you rank Harper ?

I understand that a lot of this is the potential marketing he brings to a franchise .
( which probably makes his value higher than Trout )

If you had to draft a non pitcher for the next 10 years when would you draft this guy?

Question for you baseball guys

Where would you rank Harper ?

I understand that a lot of this is the potential marketing he brings to a franchise .
( which probably makes his value higher than Trout )

If you had to draft a non pitcher for the next 10 years when would you draft this guy?

I'd certainly take Mookie over him but hard not to be bullish on fightin phils this moment.

No way shape or form from a talent level would anyone take Harper over Trout. Even Betts.

Trout has shown sustainability at such a high level that will likely prove to be historic. He just doesn't have the personality or the platform.

Philly are so stupid, Marlins will be laughing in 3 years. Idiots.

Imagine if they don't win shit the next couple years, it's going to be a long decade. Like a gigantic migraine for half a generation. Tools.

Philly are so stupid, Marlins will be laughing in 3 years. Idiots.

Imagine if they don't win shit the next couple years, it's going to be a long decade. Like a gigantic migraine for half a generation. Tools.
I think it's hilarious. I'll still take my braves this year and in the years to come. So much talent

I think ya’ll crazy, I loved what the Phils had already done before snagging Harper and he is gonna hit a ungodly number of bombs in that park. Segura, realmuto, cutch, and now Harper to a up and coming squad? Lineup is crazy good, they got some good pitching, nothin wrong w braves but don’t think I’d be so excited about having to deal w philly.

I think ya’ll crazy, I loved what the Phils had already done before snagging Harper and he is gonna hit a ungodly number of bombs in that park. Segura, realmuto, cutch, and now Harper to a up and coming squad? Lineup is crazy good, they got some good pitching, nothin wrong w braves but don’t think I’d be so excited about having to deal w philly.

His cost to at bat ratio is going to suck balls. Better sell a ton of unis early

By time he declining NL will prob have the dh so could be it not even that bad at the tail end of the deal.

Poor hitters are easy to find, this isn't rocket science

Clearly you don’t like him but calling him a poor hitter is rediculous. He always around .400 obp, he always has strong wrc+, good slug which gonna prob skyrocket in this park. Not sure what you think makes him a poor hitter?

Clearly you don’t like him but calling him a poor hitter is rediculous. He always around .400 obp, he always has strong wrc+, good slug which gonna prob skyrocket in this park. Not sure what you think makes him a poor hitter?

Lolz you want him at the plate in the 7th, tying run on 2nd and one out? Me neither. The swings will look great tho

Until you recognize the net cost. Come on man

The cost is meaningless, teams have the cash. 30 mil a year not a big deal w a 210mil payroll. Last year cards were paying the wainwright/Fowler combo more than that and they both cost the team wins, and still managed to win 88 games. Oh yea they were paying Holland 15 mil too!! 50 million of dead money, yes Id much rather be giving Harper 30 mil for 5ish war.

Plenty of winter winners in baseball don't do shit. But good for the Philies. They are going for it.

And they clearly overpaid for guys. Santana last year. Cutch this year. We'll see in a few years where they are compared to say the Braves.

Plenty of winter winners in baseball don't do shit. But good for the Philies. They are going for it.

That division other than the shitbag Marlins is really good so who knows how it shakes out but Not sure how a braves fan could be thrilled about what Phil’s have done? They have added some excellent players to a up and coming team. In my mind they the favorites to take the east.

And they clearly overpaid for guys. Santana last year. Cutch this year. We'll see in a few years where they are compared to say the Braves.

We would happily trade them Fowler for cutch! Cutch still producing and making little less than dexter, lol. obviously not like he once was but still enough for what they paying him, and again his numbers will improve w a full season at that park compared to San Fran. Realmuto power numbers should go crazy compared to playing in Miami, he gonna be demanding a huge deal after the season.

I’ve heard braves have some stud pitching on the way but at the moment I’d take Phils pitching overall (starters and pen).

How long will it take for Philly to turn on Harper if he continues along his current career averages of .279, 26 HR and 75 RBI?

Highest Slugging Percentage in Citizens Bank Park
Bryce Harper .564
Rhys Hoskins .562
Chipper Jones .547

By signing with Philadelphia, Harper might have tightened the pressure screws a couple of notches, but he did his swing a great favor, as he wasn't as well suited for Dodger Stadium, and the Giants' Oracle Park would have been even worse. That .564 slugging in Philly is based on 50 games, so small-sample caveats apply. But consider that Harper's career slugging at Nationals Park is .518; he has homered once every 18.1 at-bats there. In Philly, it has been once every 12.8.

How long will it take for Philly to turn on Harper if he continues along his current career averages of .279, 26 HR and 75 RBI?

I catch an hour of philly sports talk radio to and from work. Tonight they were talking about exactly this. Host said 3 months but was more worried about the drop off in starting rotation #3-5. Assuming: Nola, Arreita, Pivetta, Eickoff, and Efflin. Moving Vic Velazquez to the bullpen maybe as a setup man. That’s also barring they don’t make a move on somebody in the market.

Also heard they did $5 mil in tix sales day after Harper signed. Gonna be plenty of bombs flying out of citizens bank this season.

Back