2016 Tennis Season - Discussion Thread

GatorsLeafsBills

Pretty much a regular
Welp finally almost here. Ive been so fucking busy I cant even think straight. Draws will be released in the next 24 hours so that is key to pay attention to. Anything but a Djokovic win in the mens side would be shocking.

Fratangelo, Zanevska and Fritz for me tonight....lets goooooooooo

Disgusted I missed Noah Rubin yesterday, but I thought he was going to struggle with the veteran Paire.

Great W for Rubin.

Well if Fratangelo is a representation of how my other two wagers might go...I should stop betting the Aussie Open

Anybody got action??

Someone talk me off chardy, play starts within the hour. Higher level player, better hard courter, has had success at AO before, playing a guy who is kind of the opposite.

Like sock over rosol as well, better play/er imo, both went 5 setters (rosol more tasking), but recent like opponents favor sock. Only thing holding me up is he recently withdrew from a match due to flu like symptons.... although if that's the case I'm sure if he is losing he'll retire, win-win

Laid off Sock - heard he has strep throat. My book only offers ML's so if he withdraws I lose.

I did play Kuznetsov smaller at +110. I watched a good portion of that Chardy match. It taxed him in the 5th set.

Big play is Steve Johnson. Straight fade of Bellucci who I think is shit on hard courts.

Good shit guys. ....although sock blew 500 break points opposed to his one service game in the 3rd was his only break pointo against him

Yea I have been pretty busy as well with little time to cap the early rounds but been some good matches and some interesting results. I will be trying to jump in today or later this week. Missed those earlier matches discussed above, glad I laid off Muller.

Nice day yesterday - hit the whale on Johnson. Today I have Gasparyan -165 for 3u. med play.

Ouch, I wouldn't be surprised to see Aga go 6-1, 6-2 against her

She's looked as bad as you can to still get to this round imo

Kerber vs Konta

Kerber (ML) Watched Konta play the quarters and she wasn't impressive at all

WIN !!!!

Last edited:
Please god let Milos win

This is a good matchup.. Raonic vs Murray

My thought is that this might go to 5 sets. Raonic definitely has the serve going for him but watching Murray play this tourney I feel he's a bit better defensively.

Looking on playing this game Murray or Raonic in 5 sets.. Not sure yet.

Definitely playing this match LIVE though

your thoughts?

In all honesty I am obviously a homer here but Milos is playing the best tennis of his career by far. His backhand has improved amazingly. His backhand has gone from a C- to B+ in my eyes. His return game has gone from a C to B+ as well. He's made the first hurdle beating wawa but now it's Murray who in my eyes is the best defensive player in the game. I just want to see Milos show up and play good. But he needs his A+ game tonight and I don't know if he'll have it in this big of a stage.

In all honesty I am obviously a homer here but Milos is playing the best tennis of his career by far. His backhand has improved amazingly. His backhand has gone from a C- to B+ in my eyes. His return game has gone from a C to B+ as well. He's made the first hurdle beating wawa but now it's Murray who in my eyes is the best defensive player in the game. I just want to see Milos show up and play good. But he needs his A+ game tonight and I don't know if he'll have it in this big of a stage.

So what are you doing? Are you backing Raonic?

like KERBER +6/6.5 games/ yeah: serena should win but not sure it's gonna be blowout: last 2 grand slams finals for serena she won by "only" 4 games vs muguruza in wimbledon and by 6 in french open after losing 2nt set. she also lost in semi in NY last year. kerber is a left handed player and serena might need to make adjustments she already beat serena once, lost last meeting by 4 games

like KERBER +6/6.5 games/ yeah: serena should win but not sure it's gonna be blowout: last 2 grand slams finals for serena she won by "only" 4 games vs muguruza in wimbledon and by 6 in french open after losing 2nt set. she also lost in semi in NY last year. kerber is a left handed player and serena might need to make adjustments she already beat serena once, lost last meeting by 4 games

I'm going to back you on that... Like it..

Match went how I expected. Sucks if Milos stayed healthy he could have won it. Losing the 4th set and missing the 2 break points in the last game of the 4th. It was over then. I pounded Murray at -165 live starting the 5th.

usually big servers players tend to collapse if match last hours and hours because they got tired. big servers sucks In ROI% in best of 5 (GS) as compared to regular tournament best of 3

the most annoying is we could get a boring final with murray's tired legs offering/making the job for djokovic that didn't need it

Love the odds on this:

Will Kerber win a set ---- 2.85 ---- WON

I will play that tonight and sit back

Last edited:
As far as the women's final goes, I was struck by how the opening odds for the usual options for this final were basically identical to the Serena/Fraudwanska SF. While Kerber & Radwanska are both brickwallers at heart, Rads is a pure pusher & lacks power. Kerber has power & is more readily capable of hitting sheer winners, plus is more comfortable at the net than Rads. So it strikes me as ridiculous that Kerber's getting no more respect than the Pole. One way to demonstrate Kerber's superiority is to go back to last year's Wimbledon and reflect on Muguruza's run to the final. She faced, in 4 consecutive matches, all the top brickwallers the WTA has to offer. Here are the odds for those 4 matches...

View attachment 40378

Making the odds the same for this match as they were for Serena's SF is akin to having made the odds the same for Muguruza's 2 matches against these players during the Spaniard's Wimbledon run ... it's stupid. But, like the Pats/Brady's past history skewered the odds for the recent AFC championship game, Serena's past skewer's reality here. As pathetic as Radwanska's weak game was against Serena, she still managed to win 4 games. I got a 19.5 line for that match, this one I'm seeing 18.5. I just shake my head. At this number I have to bet Over. I think this final in it's ebb & flow will resemble Serena's FO final against Safarova, in that she'll come hard in the 1st set then she'll relax in the 2nd after the 1st is under her belt (scoreline in that FO final was 6-3 6-7 6-2). As long as Kerber can win 2-3 games in the 1st, I think this bet will be good to go. She'll just have to avoid being whitewashed like Radwanska was.

My biggest concern isn't about Kerber's game matching up to Serena's, it's obv. about this being her first Slam final. But that FO was Safarova's first final, and even Muguruza in her first final (on grass, hardly her best surface but one tailor made for Serena's game) was still able to win 8 games off the Beast. Kerber's been around long enough not to suffer from the kind of stage fright that killed Lisicki @Wimby in '13.

Final stats:

(1) In her 3 Slam finals last year, Serena surrendered 9, 12 & 8 games: all 3 of those finals paid out on the Over.

(2) In 2015 only 2 players won more than 3 WTA singles titles: Serena (5) & Kerber (4).

everybody surprised to see serena losing but not me it's a half surprise, i mean vs muguruza in wimby she could have lost the second set in the final.

people don't realize serena is like Roger 34 years old and like agassi when he was 35, you can win matches at this age and play some very good tennis but you don't have the same regularity to make blowout after blowout every day. sampras had the same problem at the end of his career, all players after 30,31 years old have the same problem. people tend to think that because you win few matches in a row by wide margin it's gonna continue for ever. in fact i'm nearly always finding and looking for the right spots to fade serena since a year a year and a half. i will fade her big in french open, the most difficult surface for her

- Serena lost her first AO final (after 6 straight final wins).

- Serena's loss ended a run of 8 straight final wins, so Kerber ended the longest winning streak of her career (her previous best run in Slam finals was 5 straight, twice).

- For the first time in Serena's career, she made the semi-final stage of consecutive Slams and not gone on to win the final of at least one of those Slams.

- Serena lost her first Slam final to someone born in Western Europe.

- Kerber becomes the first woman to win a Slam final after facing a match point in the 1st round.

- Kerber won this AO as the 7th seed. The last 7th seed to win the AO was ... Serena.

- Kerber becomes the first player to beat Azarenka & Serena in the same Slam.

- Kerber becomes the first player since Kerry Reid ('76 & '77) to win the AO after losing in the 1st round the year before.

everybody surprised to see serena losing but not me it's a half surprise, i mean vs muguruza in wimby she could have lost the second set in the final.

people don't realize serena is like Roger 34 years old and like agassi when he was 35, you can win matches at this age and play some very good tennis but you don't have the same regularity to make blowout after blowout every day. sampras had the same problem at the end of his career, all players after 30,31 years old have the same problem. people tend to think that because you win few matches in a row by wide margin it's gonna continue for ever. in fact i'm nearly always finding and looking for the right spots to fade serena since a year a year and a half. i will fade her big in french open, the most difficult surface for her

Serena is old, people do forget that.

Serena has also never won the FO in consecutive years, and she won it last year.

if murray doesn't win first=>game over for him. he won't win in 5 too tired and djokovic too strong mentally and physically in 5 sets

i watch nadal-djokovic highlights this year in doha where djokovic won 6-1 6-2 unbelievable. djokovic as good or even better than in 2011 but rafa is collapsing himself, he plays way too short hand has not the same depth of shot than djoker. when i compared rafa's match in Doha to his 2 unbelievable finals in us open in 2010 and 2011 vs novak he clearly has not the same intensity in his shot. his spin speed rotation is way too slow now compared to djokovic who now always hit the ball quick after first rebound

Unlike the women's final, I don't have any line thoughts for the men's. Nole should prevail obv., but my concern would be his being flat early. That's exactly the scenario we saw play out with Serena. Brilliant best in the 1st set vs. Fraudwanska and couldn't make lightning strike twice when it came to her 1st set vs. Kerber. Nole was brilliant in the first 2 sets vs. Roger, projecting him to start the same way here is hardly automatic. Plus since his breakthrough year in 2011, he might only have lost 3 non-clay court Slam finals, but Murray is responsible for inflicting 66% of those losses. I though Kerber could take a set/push Serena, but didn't envisage her winning. I think Murray can win, but at the least he'd have to win the 1st set (which coincides with a potential flat/slow start by Nole). Murray 1st set for small is my bet, otherwise I'll stick with live.

incredible how thing are quickly changing in tennis like formula one, it works by cycles. few time ago, rafa's was supposed to be in advance in terms of timing to beat Fed GS record. now it seems only djokovic can beat some of fed's records.

Next GS will be very interesting to follow both for serena and djokovic. murray has improved on clay and pushed in 5 sets nole last year. there is stan wawrinka, nadal always a threat on clay. hope del potro will be back after his wrist injury. one of very few player like cilic/wawrinka/soderling etc .. that can beat anybody when on fire.

Been hella impressed with Heather Watson at Monterrey. Dismissed Hercog & beat Doi (the woman who had match point against Kerber in the 1R of the Aussie Open) in a tough 3 setter. Saw her QF match vs. Wozniacki (WR 22) and there was a noticeable increase in power to her ground strokes. Didn't see her match vs. Garcia (WR 38), but the scoreline (1 & 2) clearly says she blew one of the hottest players going around off the court (Frenchie was 18-4 her previous 22 matches, dating back to '15). Garcia got 63% of her 1st serves in (those who don't know, she's got a big service game: sort of a carbon copy of Lisicki in all ways, really), so it wasn't like Watson was handed the match on a platter.

Flipkens (WR 73) is just fucking horrible. You watch this chick against better players and wonder how on Earth she ever beats anyone. Looking at her 4 wins to get here, I'm impressed by none. Schiavone is past it, god knows why she hasn't retired. Uytvanck is also Belgian, so I imagine there was definitely some hidden undercurrent to Flipkens winning that match (Uyt is much higher ranked, but Flipkens is the senior kid on the Belgian block). Konta completely lost her legs in their 3rd set (a match I also saw), I put that down to her very light workload since the AO (looks like the Brit is going through her first real lean patch since breaking through in the middle of last year). And Kontaveit is still finding her way on tour (just 6-10 the previous 2 years in WTA main draw matches).

This match will never be on Flipken's racket (as is always the case when soft-hitting baseliners meet a foe with power strokes), only Watson can beat herself. Watson has already beaten the superior version of Flipkens' game (Wozniacki). Nothing the Belgian can bring to the court will be better than anything Watson faced against the Dane. Wozniacki didn't play poorly by any means (Watson had to come back from a break down in the 2nd set, & the 1st set went to a tiebreak). The only wild card factor in play here is it being a final: but even here Watson has won more (2 - most recent in 2015) at 23 yrs old than Flipkens has (1 - in 2012) at 30 yrs old.

Big drop in Watson's price since the open (who'd a thunk it) so I've missed the boat on a pre-match bet, hence I'll suffice with live (the Final wild card factor + the fact she's off a peak effort in her SF = I feel Watson could drop her set on the way to winning here: the start of any 3rd set should see a reset to opening line odds, and obv. if she loses the 1st she'll def. be tasty odds). But imo it's certainly worth parlaying the Brit with something for those without live action.

Watson was all nerves in the 1st, led to a lot of errors hence she dropped the set. Settled in the 2nd and from there made Flipkens' game look like the dogshit it is.

From the looks & sounds of it, Halep is back to being a big threat to win the French. Her dodgy play of the last 15 months (partly due to injury) could now be behind her. Apparently worked out with Agassi & Graf in Las Vegas, and (subsequently) destroyed Vania King with some indomitable play (last time I saw her play so well was in 2014). King was -110 to hold her serve at the beginning of their match, by the end was +200 to hold (a feat she never managed).

Kerber (2), Muguruza (4), Venus W. (10), Safarova (11), Errani (15), Kuznetsova (16), Wozniacki (20), Stephens (21), Petkovic (22), Keys (23), Pavlyuchenkova (24), Mladenovic (27), Schmeidlova (28), Lisicki (29), Gavrilova (31) have all lost.

Almost half the seeds are gone @Indian Wells before the start of the 3rd round.

Fading/chase opportunity at the Miami Open.

Monica Niculescu is a soft-hitting brickwalling POS. There are "good" pushers/brickwallers (Kerber the outstanding example; Radwanska a much lesser one but still notable even if it pains me to type it) & then there are horrible pushers/brickwallers (e.g. Errani, Flipkens, Wozniacki). Niculescu is in the latter category. Her plan A, B, C, D, E... for winning points is get her opponent to hit an UE; it's only come plan N that that changes to maybe she decides to actually try & construct/hit a winner herself. As I've observed many times before, power vs. pusher means the match is always & forever on the racquet of the power player. Here Niculescu faces Konta, then (should she beat the Brit) Muguruza/Azarenka. The latter 2 players each just murdered their respective pusher/brickwalling 3rd round opponents, and whoever comes out on top between them should repeat the process against the Romanian. Frankly I don't see that happening because I don't think Monica survives Konta. Why these odds are closer than I'd have expected I believe can be dated back their only previous/recent meeting, which Niculescu won 6-2 2-6 6-2 (in the middle of last year): what stands out for me there is that Konta's real breakthrough came a couple of weeks later (when she beat Makarova & Muguruza in consecutive matches @Eastbourne just prior to Wimbledon, which announced to the tour that she was a serious foe; and was rapidly followed by 50k & 100k tourney wins before her USO run to the semi-finals). Also specifically regarding that match (on grass), Konta only won 51% of her first service points (as well as serving 0 aces & 5 DF), always a danger sign for any player to put up such a poor serving numbers. Since then her whole game (not just her serve) has improved strongly as her good results have fed her confidence/mindset & work ethic (her ranking then was outside the top 100, now it's 23), whereas Niculescu is simply a journey woman who's been on tour for a decade (she's 29 this year) and never achieved anything of real note (highest ranking of 28 four years ago / 84% of her 32 Slam appearances have ended by the 2R). As to the surface - grass - which Niculescu beat Konta on: in HC Slams, Konta is 9-4 SU; in non-HC Slams, she's 0-4 SU. Johanna likes HC surfaces, and that's what's provided at Miami. By way of comparison, Niculescu is 13-17 SU in HC Slams.

Niculescu's record at Miami prior to this year was 3 x 1R exits & 3 x 2R exits (in other words, she's never won 3 straight matches here. While this may be a 4R match, the Romanian got a 1st round bye due to her seeding hence this in reality is only her 3rd match). She lucked out to face a clearly hobbled Shuai Peng in the 2R (yet who she still lost a set to: 6-1 3-6 6-0) & a Coco Vandeweghe in the mood to dish up just utter garbage (7 of 12 service games broken, yet Niculescu was totally at sea in the face of Coco's power when it was on).

Konta looked good in dismissing Kovinic in 2 sets, and bounced back after losing the 1st set to Elena Vesnina (the Russian being 9-2 her previous 11 entering their match, incl. wins over Halep, Venus W., Wozniacki & the in-form Caroline Garcia, so in no lack of form herself). If Niculescu manages to beat Konta SU then covers the spread vs. the Mugu/Aza winner, I'll abstain from betting the French Open: that isn't happening.

Great analysis BC was just a destruction from start to finish...going tomorrow hopefully the weather holds out

Back