2015 Season Win Totals

yeah, Alan can you explain that one? I get SF being down and I don't like SD, but you gotta factor in Tulo's injury/trade possibilities

Colorado won 66 games last season, scoring 755 and conceding 818. That gives them a pythag W-L of 75-87. Removing all the noise from their data I have their true number as RS 746 - RA 772, a pythag W-L of 78.

Their hitting this season is a little worse then last year, but their pitching has improved. I have their RS 726 and RA 682, and with a couple of other variables thrown in gives us a pythag W-L of 85-77. 682 runs is still above league average, so I'm comfortable with that number

I have Tulo playing 72.5% of games (PECOTA has him with 520 PA). When he gets traded and/or injured is anybodys guess.

My number does not need to be right, just more right then the market. If the market prices them everyday as a 72 win team, and they are in reality a 78 win team then I will profit. If they are a 65 win team then I will be living in a box under a bridge. Last season I was very bearish on Detroit and Texas, and that worked out ok. However, I was very bearish on the Angels and bullish on Arizona, and that didn't work out so good.

This ....

Fuzzy math...
point being they will try harder to win games vs. just letting rookies get ab's and pitch over the course of the last 50+ games...and they would have more wins than last year approaching the trade deadline if they were in contention..

Gotcha. Well, we know one thing about you now...you're not Asian. :cool:

The cub love based on the pub of the youngsters is vintage. Only thing I like better is the buccos un. Cubs un (as usual) bucs un. Bucs un biggg

Colorado won 66 games last season, scoring 755 and conceding 818. That gives them a pythag W-L of 75-87. Removing all the noise from their data I have their true number as RS 746 - RA 772, a pythag W-L of 78.

Their hitting this season is a little worse then last year, but their pitching has improved. I have their RS 726 and RA 682, and with a couple of other variables thrown in gives us a pythag W-L of 85-77. 682 runs is still above league average, so I'm comfortable with that number

I have Tulo playing 72.5% of games (PECOTA has him with 520 PA). When he gets traded and/or injured is anybodys guess.

My number does not need to be right, just more right then the market. If the market prices them everyday as a 72 win team, and they are in reality a 78 win team then I will profit. If they are a 65 win team then I will be living in a box under a bridge. Last season I was very bearish on Detroit and Texas, and that worked out ok. However, I was very bearish on the Angels and bullish on Arizona, and that didn't work out so good.

:shake: Good stuff

Below is something I wrote to a buddy because we both made decent bets on the under 58.5 wins for Cleveland and we were both happy Lebron is resting tonight because this team looks like there really coming together. He had just said Cleveland looks good and I'm glad they started slow my answer was and then I included my baseball thoughts.

remember that was pretty much our thinking that it would take a while simalar to his first year in Miami. I have to admit they do look good and they're beating good western clubs. They will make me look like a fool and win it all. I was looking for a longshot to win it all for small and I wanted to bet Memphis think they have a shot but they're 5/1 I can't play that.

Been baseball shopping with a buddy last few days looking at some props. The only thing I did so far was Philly Under 68.5 -110 . Found a place (The Palms) with head to head match-ups most wins. Like the Mets over the Yanks and the White sox over the Cubs Mets are -110 and the White Sox are -105. Still early stay in touch lets pick another WS winner I do have the White Sox at 34/1 I believe you have them a little higher funny how we think alike. Thinking about taking a shot with a Division winner parlay Seattle,White Sox and Pittsburgh .

Baseball RSW Bet Unders Early Overs Late.

With all due respect, how has their pitching improved by 100 runs from last year?

My calculated totals

[TABLE="width: 156"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Arizona
[/TD]
[TD] 78
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Atlanta
[/TD]
[TD] 70
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Baltimore
[/TD]
[TD] 84
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Boston
[/TD]
[TD] 90
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Chicago Cubs
[/TD]
[TD] 80
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Chicago Sox
[/TD]
[TD] 73
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cincinnati
[/TD]
[TD] 81
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cleveland
[/TD]
[TD] 75
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Colorado
[/TD]
[TD] 85
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Detroit
[/TD]
[TD] 78
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Houston
[/TD]
[TD] 76
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kansas City
[/TD]
[TD] 88
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]LA Angels
[/TD]
[TD] 83
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]LA Dodgers
[/TD]
[TD] 87
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Miami
[/TD]
[TD] 79
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Milwaukee
[/TD]
[TD] 76
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Minnesota
[/TD]
[TD] 74
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]NY Mets
[/TD]
[TD] 80
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]NY Yankees
[/TD]
[TD] 81
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Oakland
[/TD]
[TD] 91
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Philadelphia
[/TD]
[TD] 64
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Pittsburgh
[/TD]
[TD] 83
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]San Diego
[/TD]
[TD] 79
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]San Francisco
[/TD]
[TD] 82
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Seattle
[/TD]
[TD] 90
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]St. Louis
[/TD]
[TD] 93
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tampa Bay
[/TD]
[TD] 79
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Texas
[/TD]
[TD] 82
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Toronto
[/TD]
[TD] 82
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Washington
[/TD]
[TD] 87
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

My biggest differences from your calculations:

I have Baltimore -6 wins
Cle +6
Col -13
KC -16
LAA +6
TB +6

With all due respect, how has their pitching improved by 100 runs from last year?

Without going into too much detail, the bullpen gave up 298 runs last season, well above the league average of 211. They were the worst team by 30 runs. Through natural improvement and variance that number should not be as high. Regressing it only halfway to the league average is 43 runs (and would still make this number the second worst team last season behind Houston). With the exception of de la Rosa, Hawkins and maybe Betancourt the pitching staff is relatively young, average age around 26-27. So there is improvement there. Even if the starters as a group improve by 27 runs (which is only 1 run every 6 games, or the ERA from last season by about 0.25), it brings the total runs down by 70.

That’s a basic view of it. Even if they bring the total down by 70 and not 100, then that is only 3 wins difference, still around the .500 mark.

I know you are fan...:) As am I.

I don't need the team to be 2013, just don't need them to be 2014..
You could be everyone on the injury risk list...
Pablo being fat... really dont see any differnece over the last few years ( ya i saw the picture) .. bad angle..
You didn't mention a healthy Pedroi or Napoli.... the pitching doesnt need to dominate, just give them a chance....
After they traded Lester it was about showcasing youth - if they are in the hunt for the wildcard or better the last 50 games mean something. and if they go .500 it gives me 25 more wins than the 71 from last year...

gl ... :shake:

i didn't mention Pedroia because i think he'll return to form. Obviously that isn't a guarantee, but a lot of my 2013 vs 2014 point is that most guys will likely fall in the middle and they're expected to finish well over .500 versus not being close last year

Without going into too much detail, the bullpen gave up 298 runs last season, well above the league average of 211. They were the worst team by 30 runs. Through natural improvement and variance that number should not be as high. Regressing it only halfway to the league average is 43 runs (and would still make this number the second worst team last season behind Houston). With the exception of de la Rosa, Hawkins and maybe Betancourt the pitching staff is relatively young, average age around 26-27. So there is improvement there. Even if the starters as a group improve by 27 runs (which is only 1 run every 6 games, or the ERA from last season by about 0.25), it brings the total runs down by 70.

That’s a basic view of it. Even if they bring the total down by 70 and not 100, then that is only 3 wins difference, still around the .500 mark.

I see where you are coming from, but I think you are ignoring the affect Coors Field has on starting pitchers. The Colorado bullpen is needed at a higher rate than normal. Trust me, I'm with you on regressing bullpens to average rankings as it is a large part of my model. But, the Rockies are an exception, imo. I took the Rox last year bc on paper their bullpen was improved greatly, but I feel like I learned the error in my ways:

Rockies Bullpen:

2014: 525.2 IP- 298 runs National League average of 207 runs
2013: 555.2IP- 278 runs National League average of 209 runs
2012: 657.0 IP- 354 runs National League average of 225 runs
2011: 508.2 IP- 243 runs National League average of 209 runs

Pecota projects their relievers to throw 547 innings. To be optimistic, lets say the relievers throw 525 innings. Again, lets be optimistic and say 4.25 ERA. That's 248 runs right there and add a 15-20 unearned runs (say 15) and you are at 263 runs. Lets just say 265 runs, which would be well below average for them over the past 4 years.

Pecota has the primary 5 starters with the following ERAs:

DLR 165 IP-4.58 ERA
Lyles 154 IP 5.30 ERA
Chacin 160 IP 4.28 ERA
Matzek 137 IP 5.55 ERA
Kendrick 168 IP 5.35 ERA

Lets just use 1,445 innings overall 8.92 innings per game. The starters would then throw 920 innings. Lets be optimistic and say 4.5 ERA.......460 runs plus 40 unearned.....500 runs. This gets the Rockies to 765 runs allowed......which is pretty optimistic, imo.

They scored 747 runs last year and did not help the offense so lets say 750 runs. That's a 79 win team and seems to be pretty optimistic case.

Good luck, just my thoughts.

Back