2015 NBA DRAFT

ArizonaKid

Pretty much a regular
Thought I'd start a thread on the upcoming NBA Draft. Post who you think should go #1, who you hope your team drafts, and a sleeper and a bust from this draft class...as well as any and all thoughts regarding this draft class.

First up, I would take Towns #1, Okafor may have a better offensive game but his effort of defense makes me think he is a future Al Jefferson type. I'll go with the better rebounder and defender in KAT.

Spurs I were hoping would draft Justin Anderson but I get the feeling he will be long gone by time #26 comes around. Next guy I hope falls to them is Rondae Hollis-Jefferson who should be at least a solid role player with his defensive ability and high motor. His jumper needs a lot of work but Spurs have a great shot coach in Chip Engelland, who thought Kawhi Leonard coming out of SDST would ever consistantly knock down the 3 ?

Bust gotta go with Mario Hezonja. Don't know how you can take this kid in the top 10 when he has shown little in Europe to date. While athletic and fluid with a pretty shot, just seen to many Euros picked high that can't translate their skills in the more physical NBA.

Sleeper I will go with Ryan Boatwright who doesn't even look like he is gonna get selected. Undersized but proven and can knock down the 3...think he makes the league and can be a useful role player.

Towns goes 1.
I hope philly trades outta 3, not sure I want De'angelo Russell. Maybe someone will wow them with an offer.
I do like the pg from murray state.

Need a SF here in Detroit...

What about a PF ? Isn't Monroe leaving

Will likely get their choice of Stanley Johnson or the Euro Porzingis. That Euro (as usual) can shoot from the outside so would fit well w/ Drummond down low.

Would take Winslow if for some reason he is available.

Id be pretty surprised if Towns and Okafur weren't 1 and 2, Though Russell seems to be making a push.

Would like to see the Sixers take Russell.

Projected 2015-2016 lineup

C: Embiid
PF: Noel
SF: Covington
SG: ?
PG: Russell

Waiting on Saric dammit...

Would like to see the Sixers take Russell.

Projected 2015-2016 lineup

C: Embiid
PF: Noel
SF: Covington
SG: ?
PG: Russell

Waiting on Saric dammit...

It looks like Russell may be there guy. I'm not sure about him.. to be honest I wouldn't have a problem with a Pg by committee next year with wroten/ish Smith/canaan.

Ish as a backup is ok. Canaan regressed. Like to to Russell come and play 30 mins a game. Best way to learn.

Micheal Qualls tore his ACL last week working out for Phoenix. Was gong to be a 2nd rounder so this may work out best for him in that he gets to choose his destination.

New York Knicks president Phil Jackson, head coach Derek Fisher and executive Mark Warkentien were among dozens of NBA personnel in Las Vegas on Friday to watch top lottery prospect Kristaps Porzingis work out.
Porzingis’ workout was a part of the ASM Sports agency’s “Pro Day.” Fourteen prospects were in the gym, including Texas' Myles Turner and LSU's Jarell Martin. But Porzingis was the headline act.
The 19-year-old European, who has been compared to everyone from Dirk Nowitzki to Andrea Bargnani, is represented by ASM president Andy Miller.
<aside class="inline float-r">[h=1]NBA draft 2015[/h]
nba_draft_134.jpg
From pingpong balls to the final pick, we've got the 2015 NBA draft covered. Draft 2015 »
</aside>Most NBA teams had employees at the workout on Friday. But the idea that Jackson, Fisher and Warkentein were all on hand to watch Porzingis in person suggests the Knicks are at least considering him for the No. 4 pick in the draft.
SI.com reported that Knicks adviser Clarence Gaines Jr. scouted the 19-year-old Porzingis in person during his season with Sevilla in the ACB, arguably the best domestic league outside of the NBA.
Porzingis hit 54 percent of his two-point shots and 38 percent of his 3-point shots for Sevilla. Scouts believe he’s capable of duplicating or surpassing those shooting numbers in the NBA. Defense and overall strength are a concern at this point for Porzingis though, scouts say.
For a detailed look at how Porzingis may fit in the triangle offense and alongside Anthony, click here.
The Knicks have already worked out potential top picks Emmanuel Mudiay and Justise Winslow in person. D'Angelo Russell told reporters that he has a workout scheduled with the Knicks. It is not yet clear, though, when the workout will take place.
The Knicks also plan to work out Arizona forward Stanley Johnson on Saturday. The workout had been scheduled for Friday but was later rescheduled.
In addition, New York has workouts planned for Wisconsin’s Frank Kaminsky and Kentucky’s Willie Cauley-Stein next week.
The Knicks had also planned a workout with Murray State point guard Cameron Payne, but the two sides have been unable to find a common date to this point.
League sources with knowledge of the Knicks’ thinking said earlier this week that the team would give “serious” consideration to trading down to select Payne.
Those sources said that segments of the team’s front office and scouting department were impressed by the point guard.
Teams have drafted players without working them out in person in the past, of course. But the lack of an in-person workout with Payne suggests the Knicks scouts and front office members who were enamored by the player were met with resistance from other team decision-makers.

Kristaps Porzingis worked out privately for the Lakers on Monday.

Porzingis elevated his draft stock quite a bit during his Las Vegas workouts, and one NBA scout said that he's the best player in the draft. He'll be an option for the Lakers with the No. 2 overall selection in the 2015 draft, and he could also be high on the 76ers' wishlist (who own the third pick in the draft) with Joel Embiid's (foot) most recent setback. It'll be interesting to see where he lands on draft day, but he's sure to be a lottery selection.

Kristaps Porzingis worked out privately for the Lakers on Monday.

Porzingis elevated his draft stock quite a bit during his Las Vegas workouts, and one NBA scout said that he's the best player in the draft. He'll be an option for the Lakers with the No. 2 overall selection in the 2015 draft, and he could also be high on the 76ers' wishlist (who own the third pick in the draft) with Joel Embiid's (foot) most recent setback. It'll be interesting to see where he lands on draft day, but he's sure to be a lottery selection.

Both Top European prospect are very very very interesting. Still, it's always a gamble and I really think it's wrong to pick one of them as Top 3 or even Top 5 pick.
How many "European" players (Sabonis is not an example - he was over 30) looking back, deserve Top 3 pick?

Petrovic, Dirk for sure. TP and Manu? Maybe. Detlef Schrempf? I'm not sure, but both him and Dirk aren't really European basketball players - didn't play there.
Bargs? Doubt it. Skola, Valancunas, Mozgov - all maybe Top 10 pick, but not Top 5.
Both Gasol brothers qualify. Kukoc and AK-47? Probably as well.
Noah never played in Europe. Diaw - obviously not. Maybe Divac?

Bottom line, draft is always a gamble and European players are even bigger gamble. How many great European players turned to be a bust or semi bust in the NBA?
Even the amazing Navarro and Saras, two of the greatest of the last two decades, didn't last in the league and didn't become star players.

Navarro could shoot and play at the NBA level, he just decided that he would rather be back in his homeland Spain and be a main star as opposed to being a role player.

Spanoulis just sat on the Rockets bench one season.

NBA game is different, lot more games and more travel, guys can play longer in Europe than they can in the NBA. Euro players also have to make a difficult transition culture and language wise...I think that is often times the biggest reason for lack of success.

I can't see the lakers picking this euro at #2 , it would be an impossible sell to the fan base

I can't see the lakers picking this euro at #2 , it would be an impossible sell to the fan base

i can't see it either.

only way they do it is if they envision him as a 3. or a 5. but it sounds like he's a 4 and since we just took Randle there's no way they take another PF over a center.

i can't see it either.

only way they do it is if they envision him as a 3. or a 5. but it sounds like he's a 4 and since we just took Randle there's no way they take another PF over a center.

But do you think that Randle and Okafor can work together on the court ? Aren't they both down low post up guys and both limited defensively ?

As a Laker fan who do you want them to draft ?

But do you think that Randle and Okafor can work together on the court ? Aren't they both down low post up guys and both limited defensively ?

As a Laker fan who do you want them to draft ?

i fell in love with porzingis at first sight. the combination of length, size, athleticism and shooting touch is sick.

but it's all based on a 5 minute video so I should probably relax. still need to see if he can pass or dribble lol.

the long term laker plan is to bring russ home in 2017. so no sense it taking a guard. plus clarkson is a good player. he got a lot of usage on a trash squad but there is legit talent there.

i was a little iffy on Jah at first. i haven't seen much but the ft shooting and under the rim defense (i think this is a knock) concern me but the more thought i give it the more i like him. i know his post game is lights out and a 7'6 wingspan is fantastic. ive heard he can pass too which would make me prefer him over a towns. an unstoppable post game AND the ability to create for teammates? sign him up.

the randle injury killed; im still not sure what he is. i was holding out hope he can turn into a hybrd 3 / 4 but thats probably a pipe dream. obv he needs a lot of work on his J, but he has a solid face up game even without it and im pretty sure he can pass too. i think both guys are skilled enough where the fit won't be an issue, offensively at least.

Both Top European prospect are very very very interesting. Still, it's always a gamble and I really think it's wrong to pick one of them as Top 3 or even Top 5 pick.
How many "European" players (Sabonis is not an example - he was over 30) looking back, deserve Top 3 pick?

Petrovic, Dirk for sure. TP and Manu? Maybe. Detlef Schrempf? I'm not sure, but both him and Dirk aren't really European basketball players - didn't play there.
Bargs? Doubt it. Skola, Valancunas, Mozgov - all maybe Top 10 pick, but not Top 5.
Both Gasol brothers qualify. Kukoc and AK-47? Probably as well.
Noah never played in Europe. Diaw - obviously not. Maybe Divac?

Bottom line, draft is always a gamble and European players are even bigger gamble. How many great European players turned to be a bust or semi bust in the NBA?
Even the amazing Navarro and Saras, two of the greatest of the last two decades, didn't last in the league and didn't become star players.

Interesting post...

But for now on the bolded...and even applies to Kukoc although shorter time...

Sabonis was drafted in 1986, 24th overall in first round and never played in NBA till 1995. That is still nuts to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure AK Kid will chime in as a historian but looking back...Sabonis if he comes to NBA earlier is top 3 best players that came outta the 'Cocaine' Draft.

Interesting post...

But for now on the bolded...and even applies to Kukoc although shorter time...

Sabonis was drafted in 1986, 24th overall in first round and never played in NBA till 1995. That is still nuts to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure AK Kid will chime in as a historian but looking back...Sabonis if he comes to NBA earlier is top 3 best players that came outta the 'Cocaine' Draft.

I saw Sabonis play an exhibition game before the 1982 season at Indiana when he was only 17 years old. It was on national TV and this is an Indiana squad that would win the Big 10 and finish #5 in the country at seasons end that had 4 Senior starters led by Randy Whitman and a 7 foot center in Uwe Blab...Sabonis dominated. Probably had close to 30 points leading the Russians to victory.

Next time i saw him was in the Gold Medal game of the 86 FIBA Championships vs the USA and David Robinson . Russians had gotten past Yugoslavia in the semi's despite being down 9 with less than a minute to go, Sabonis banking in a 3, USSR steals the inbounds pass, and then a baby Vlade Divac turned it over and the Russians hit another 3 to force OT. In OT Drazen Petrovic missed the front end of a one and one while Sabonis got fouled and made both FT's for the win. USA was handling the Russians, leading by 10 at half and up almost 20 with about 7 minutes left before the Russians just stormed back and got within a bucket with less than a minute to go before Kenny Smith blew by Sabonis for a layup and a 4 point lead and held on to win by 2. Kenny Smith was great but the real reason the US won was a player that didn't score a single point...Mugsey Bogues. Mugsey fucked the Russians up, was a one man press and had 10 steals that game.

It seems that people remember Sabonis had 2 vicious dunks on Robinson as well as 2 monster blocks and assume that Sabonis dominated Robinson, but David more than held his own that game and i would say they were equal. Here is a video of Sabonis showcasing his play vs Yugoslavia and the US from 1986...notice at about the 1:25 mark the dunk that makes everyone drool and wonder what if:

[video=youtube;06usV6451ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik[/video]

Just an incredible blend of dominance in the paint with the ability to step back and drill the three . Shortly after the FIBA Championships he tore his Achilles tendon, probably the worst injury a basketball player can suffer. the USSR rushed him back too soon and he suffered a second Achilles tear. Despite this the Russians forced him back to the court so he could play in the 88 Olympics and in the semi's he again faced David Robinson. Robinson outplayed him this time but John Thompson picked a shitty squad and cost us the gold with the Russians winning by 6 as Robinson had 19 and 12 while Sabonis had 13 and 13.

The overuse of Sabonis leading to the two Achilles injuries robbed him of his athleticism and led to future knee injuries. One of basketball's great what-if questions is what if Sabonis had never gotten hurt ? He has said that he didn't come over in 1989 because he wanted to enter the NBA healthy but kept suffering more and more injuries. What if Sabonis joins a Portland team in 89-90 that would reach the Finals ? Would a healthy Sabonis have been enough to defeat a Detroit Piston team that won the series in 5 but the last two games were wins by 2 and 3 points. Even if they lose that Finals they probably overtake the Lakers the next season and face the Bulls, whom they did face in 1992 w/out Sabonis. Very likely that Portland beats them once and Jordan's historical dominance is altered. Would the Trailblazers have been the new superpower winning multiple Titles...if only we could have seen it.

Even if Sabonis had joined the Trailblazers in 89 with his injuries I'm pretty sure they could have won a Title considering how well he played for them when he eventually did enter the league past his prime and robbed of and athletic ability. Pete Newell was the head of player personnel for the Warriors in the mid-80's and known for his work with big men has said that Sabonis would have been taken #1 in 85 over Ewing and could have become the best player in the game.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;fdlB8tX75Mc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlB8tX75Mc[/video]

Loved watching him and Shaq go at it.....that pass behind his head. Amazing his shooting ability for being 7' 3"

I think he coulda been one of the best ever as well AZ

I wish the Warriors knew the status of Draymond before the draft. They might go PF just in case. If not, maybe a Center. Point guard, shooting guard, and small forward they're pretty deep with guys who can play multiple positions: Curry, Klay, Barnes, Iggy, Livingston, and Barbosa.

Drafts are important and finally after a few good years they turned it into a championship.

2009- Curry
2011- Klay
2012- Draymond, Barnes, and Ezeli.

I believe in GM Bob Myers and the front office. They've had some solid drafts.

What status? They will match the max contract he will get.
Hopefully. They still need to make sure there's room for Curry's max when he comes up. He has 2 years left on that contract of 4 years/$44 million which the Warriors got lucky on. He'll want max. And I don't think they'll have room for 3 maxes: Klay, Draymond, and Curry. Who knows though with the cap going up.

Maybe some team will take David Lee and his $15.5 million he due next year. He's an expiring contract after next year and that's very valuable for the right team.

And their payroll this year was $73 million. Next year it's already at $83 million WITHOUT Draymond.

Lee- 15.5
Klay- 15.5
Bogut- 12
Iggy- 11.7
Curry- 11.3
Livingston- 5.5
Speights- 3.8
Barnes- 3.8
Ezeli- 2
Rush- 1.2

All those are guaranteed under contract.

Of course they will have the money for Curry in 2017. Don't get your worries to be honest...

Of course they will have the money for Curry in 2017. Don't get your worries to be honest...
My worry is, I don't want the team to have all their money sucked up into 3 players. Klay will be making $18 million in 2017. Then add Curry and Draymond. They'll have nothing left for rest of the team. I don't want to sacrifice that much money for the good of the team.

@SportsInsights: Over the past six weeks, the odds of Frank Kaminsky being a top-13 pick in the #NBADraft have moved from -110 to -220. (via TopBet)

My worry is, I don't want the team to have all their money sucked up into 3 players. Klay will be making $18 million in 2017. Then add Curry and Draymond. They'll have nothing left for rest of the team. I don't want to sacrifice that much money for the good of the team.

Don't worry you'll have plenty of cap room when Curry joins the Raptors when he becomes FA :)

Don't think I ever posted this nugget, last draft Sean Elliott (Spurs TV color guy) jumped off his couch and yelled for joy when Kyle Anderson slid to the Spurs at #30.

Here is his money quote about it:

“I keep telling everybody around me that we got the steal of the draft in Kyle Anderson,” Elliott said. “He’s a terrific player. I saw him play three times last year in college, and he fits (the Spurs) system perfectly. He’s a 6-9 poor man’s Magic Johnson.”

Poor man's Magic Johnson lol...I'm not writing him off just yet but that's quite a stretch by Elliott.

Seems like Mudiay is going to slide tomorrow... would rather have him than Russell and certainly Hezonja.

Willie Caulie-Stein has an old foot injury that likely will need surgery to repair at some point and I imagine he slides tomorrow as well.

Last edited:
Back