2014 Fantasy WR Rankings (Tiers)

I've updated the WR tiers. Not much change at the top. All the Tier 1 guys are 1st rd or early 2nd picks. All the Tier 2 guys are worthy of 2nd round picks. If any of them fall to rd 3, I think they are steals. I've ranked the TE's in with the WRs because a lot of leagues are using TE in the flex. The issue a lot of people face is whether to go with Julius Thomas in rd 3 over a Tier 2 WR. According to my Tier 2, the answer is no. But it really depends on how you tier your TE's. I have Thomas in the same tier as Cameron, so I'd rather take Cameron a few rounds later. He seems to be falling. But if you have Thomas in a separate Tier, I have no problem going with him in rd 3 over a Tier 2 WR.

All of the Tier 3 guys are worthy of picks after rd 3, but I wouldn't take any of them in rd 3. The Tier is very deep, so there's no reason to reach for these guys. It's really a coin flip as to how you want to rank them. If you go heavy on WR early, you can take a risk on a high potential guy for the FLEX (Patterson, Floyd, Tate). If you go heavy on RB early, you might want a safer choice as a WR1 or WR2 (Cruz, Jackson). While I agree that WR is deep this year, I think there's a pretty steep drop off once you get to Tier 3 because these players have more risk and lower floors. I'd much rather have a Tier 3 WR as my FLEX than my WR2. I make it a point not to target specific players in drafts, but I'm very excited about Patterson. I like the idea of going with two stud WR's early, then grabbing Patterson for the Flex. The issue is when do you take him? His ADP is round 4 or 5. With all of the hype, I doubt he makes it out of rd 4 in home leagues. The choice is whether to go RB (i.e. Gerhart/Joique) in rd 4 or go with Patterson and hope a solid RB falls to rd 5.

Tier 4 are high upside lotto tickets. In 10-12 team leagues, these are WR4/bench options and possibly WR3/FLEX options, depending on league settings. Hunter, Cooks, and Benjamin stand out for me here, but I wouldn't reach on any of them. I probably wouldn't take any WR in this tier before round 10. Josh Gordon deserves to be drafted until there's a ruling on his suspension. Rd 9/10 seems fair to take him.

Tier 5 are deep league options. Mostly young WRs who could produce later in the year.

Of all the positions, I feel most confident about my WR rankings. They haven't changed much since I first ranked them in June, which means that I haven't done a lot of second guessing. I will say that it's really important to tier these WRs, regardless of whether you agree with my tiers. WR is very deep, and it's difficult to project individual player rankings (i.e. who will finish higher: Fitz or V Jax?). Tiering the receivers ensures that you won't overdraft any of them. Why take a guy in rd 4 when you can get a similar guy in rd 8? The middle rounds are very important for drafting RBs. RBs come off the board quick because of how scarce the position is. You don't want to reach for WRs in the middle rounds because you'll be left with trash at RB, if you wait too late.

I extrapolated Patterson's numbers from last season to a full season. In my league's scoring system, he averaged 14.6 fantasy points per game (PPR) over the last 8 games. That would put him at 233 fantasy points over a 16 game season, which would have been WR15 in my league last year. Obviously, he could totally bust in 2014 (any young WR can). But if you believe in his talent, it's tough to imagine him finishing outside of the top 15-20 WR this season.

Welker already being examined for a concussion. I've mentioned this a few times before. His career is at risk after every hit he takes. I don't see him playing many games this year. Avoid him, and draft Sanders. I'll be updating the rankings later this week. Sanders will rise.

I extrapolated Patterson's numbers from last season to a full season. In my league's scoring system, he averaged 14.6 fantasy points per game (PPR) over the last 8 games. That would put him at 233 fantasy points over a 16 game season, which would have been WR15 in my league last year. Obviously, he could totally bust in 2014 (any young WR can). But if you believe in his talent, it's tough to imagine him finishing outside of the top 15-20 WR this season.

Patterson tore it up in preseason game 3. I'm all in on him. I got him in the 5th round in one of my home drafts. I'm ok if you need to reach up to the 4th to grab him. Sky's the limit.

Welker already being examined for a concussion. I've mentioned this a few times before. His career is at risk after every hit he takes. I don't see him playing many games this year. Avoid him, and draft Sanders. I'll be updating the rankings later this week. Sanders will rise.
Feel bad about welkrr. But I was just going to ask if you were moving up sanders.

Feel bad about welkrr. But I was just going to ask if you were moving up sanders.

Yes and it's not based on Sanders' awesome game this week. It's just that from the start I never thought Welker would play a whole year (evidenced by my initial ranking on him). And now, we aren't even into the season yet and Welker is already concussed. I don't see how this guy plays 16 games. I'm not sure he plays 6.

Football guys has Patterson projected to get 219 points thus year. Kid is only 23

He may be over-drafted now, especially after preseason game 3. I'll still target him in rd 4/5, depending on my roster up to that point. I pick #7, so I'll probably already have two stud WR's in the first 2 rounds.

yeah i am not sure its wise to draft him over a guy like vjax, who is so much more of a red zone threat. we'll see. i should have 2 WRs as well, drafting at 11.

Final update before weekend drafts. No change in Tier 1. Any of those guys could finish #1, but for me Calvin is the #1 WR on my board.

I bumped Brown ahead of Jeffery because he's safer. But Brown still has upside at his age. He'll catch 90+ balls and 8-10 TD's, while high, isn't out of reach in this offense. He's the true #1 option in the pass game.

I watched Fitz in preseason and he looked great. I like him moving around the field. He's going to be good in PPR. AZ is going to air it out.

Sanders and Colston both get bumps due to injuries to other players on their team. RIP Wes Welker. Stills has a lower body injury which sounds bad for a burner. He could be affected for a while.

I've reevaluated the Skins offense. Garcon won't be on any of my teams. I think Jackson will play a larger role than I thought. I suspect both players will be inconsistent weekly plays.

I want to keep bumping Hilton. I think Indy finally airs it out this season -- they have no run game. Wayne is a huge problem. He's going to steal targets. Once Wayne gets hurt though, Hilton is a legit WR2.

Latimer is a legit sleeper now with Welker's egg shell skull. He could lead all rookie WRs in TDs. He's going undrafted in a lot of leagues.

Boykin is another guy I'm really looking harder at, and I may bump him before my next draft. He's locked into the #3 WR role in a great offense. Plus, Jordy and Cobb have prior injury history. Boykin could fall into WR2 production if any of those guys get hurt.

Welker suspended for Molly. Hello Emmanuel Sanders and Cody Latimer!

As an aside, I never understood why dudes who are married to beautiful women would do drugs.

Back