2014 Fantasy QB Rankings (Tiers)

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
Updated as of 8/29

A few brief words on tiers. They are becoming more popular, so most people already understand them. I group players into tiers to maximize value of picks round-by-round. The goal is not to pinpoint certain players in drafts and target only those players. Of course there will be certain guys that you might hope to get at some point in the draft, but it's better to ignore names and rely on your tiers. Group players together who you think could have similar stats, and the goal is to get the last player available from that tier.

Onto the QB position…

As mentioned on many fantasy sites, QB is deep this year. So it's ideal to wait on QB for as long as you can. Try a mock by taking a QB early and you will notice that your team is not as deep, as opposed to waiting. Based on some early mocks, I'm noticing that the 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 10[SUP]th[/SUP], or 11[SUP]th[/SUP] round seems like the appropriate spot to draft a QB. If you do use this strategy, I think it's better to grab a strong QB2 so you can play match-ups early on and hope one gets hot eventually. Drafting QBs in back to back rounds could be a good strategy to ensure you get a quality QB2.

I'll go tier by tier and add some individual player thoughts along the way...

Tier 1

[TABLE="width: 82"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Manning4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rodgers9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brees6[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

This seems to be the consensus first tier, and for good reason. I still think Manning in round 1 or 2 is an overdraft. Defenses make adjustments year by year, and I don’t expect this offense to surprise defenses like they did last season. I still think Manning will have a decent year (if healthy), but I could certainly see Rodgers overtaking him for #1 overall. I’d assume all three of these guys don’t make it out of the first 2 rounds in home drafts, so I won’t be owning any of them. The early rounds are when you build a core roster of positional players, and taking a QB early hurts a team’s depth immensely.

Tier 2

[TABLE="width: 124"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Stafford9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cutler9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Foles7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Luck10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ryan9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]RG III*10
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Here’s where everyone’s rankings differ. This is my high upside tier. I believe anyone in this grouping could finish top 3 at the position based on potential. Stafford is being over-drafted in Round 3/4. He has all the potential in the world at age 26 but I can’t yet justify putting him in Tier 1 based on his inconsistencies over past years. Ryan is in for a HUGE year. Atlanta has zero run game and all reports say their WRs are healthy. Without a TE, this team should look to go with a more spread attack with 3 WRs, incorporating Douglas. Ryan was on a nice 3 year upward trend in all statistical categories until last year when the Falcons were decimated by injuries. 4500 and 28 should be his floor in 2014.

Cutler seems to be the QB I get in mocks because his ADP is so low. I don’t know why. He’s had some injury concerns, but that’s why you back him up with a good QB2. Last year, he was on pace for career numbers in Trestman’s offense. When he got hurt, McCown also put up career numbers. Trestman seems to be a QB guru. Cutler also has arguably the best offensive weapons in the entire league.

I’m high on RG3 this year. He should be fully healed from the ACL. Sure he is an injury risk, but you can just back him up with a high level QB2. The emergence of Reed and the addition of Jackson give him some lethal weapons to go along with Garcon. I don’t see Foles repeating his efficiency from last year, but he didn’t even play a full season and still had 27 TDs. This offense is incredible, and Foles should only get better as he gets more acclimated to Kelly’s system. Philly lost Jackson, but resigned Maclin, added Sproles and drafted a promising rookie WR with a high pick. This team won’t miss Jackson as much as some people think. Also, it can’t be ignored that Foles is in a contract year.

Tier 3

<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Kapernick8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Newton12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Big Ben12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brady10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Wilson4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rivers10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Romo11
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Every player in this tier has question marks. Luck and Newton may bump up to Tier 2 as we get closer to the start of the season. Luck should be in line for a good year IF Pep Hamilton finally allows him to throw the damn ball. Indy’s conservative offense relegates Luck to a borderline QB1, which is a joke. The bright side is that Indy’s run game has question marks with TRich. If TRich falters early, I could see Indy having no choice but to air it out. If they do, there is no reason Luck shouldn’t finish in the top-5. For Newton, it’s just a question of offensive weapons. I still think Carolina will add a WR in camp once teams start to make cuts. I’ll be monitoring that situation closely. The rushing numbers, though, have been and should continue to be there in 2014.

I really like Big Ben this year, especially at his 11/12[SUP]th[/SUP] round ADP. He quietly produced a 4200 and 28 season last year. Reports out of Pitt are saying Haley is going to allow Ben to open up the offense and call his own shots at the line. This should lead to increased stats. I love his weapons. He’s got the vets: Miller, Brown, and Moore (recent signing). And he’s got promising young guys: Wheaton and Bryant. Bell is an underrated pass catcher out of the backfield, and they added a potential Sproles clone in the draft – Archer. I see no reason why Ben can’t replicate last season’s numbers, if not surpass them, as long as he stays healthy.

A quick word on Romo. Dallas will certainly throw more this year in a new system, but I’m concerned about Romo’s back. He’s getting older now and for me, he is a big injury concern. His situation is different than Cutler, who’s had more nagging injuries in the past. A back injury for a QB just isn’t good. I probably won’t be owning Romo this year.

Tier 4

<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Palmer4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Manziel4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tannehill5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dalton4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Locker*9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]A Smith6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eli8
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
It’s crazy to see Alex Smith ahead of Brady, but that’s what it’s come to. Brady has had a downward statistically trend over the past few years and age seems to be getting to him. His 4/5[SUP]th[/SUP] round ADP is a joke. He’s still a good real life QB, and his numbers could be better than last year but that’s assuming Gronk stays healthy. There just isn’t enough upside to rank him higher than a borderline QB1. Alex Smith should only get better after a full year in Reid’s offense. That fat moron will have Smith throwing even more this year, which should only increase his stats. 4000 (total yards) and 25+ tds is possible, which makes his 13[SUP]th[/SUP]/14[SUP]th[/SUP] round ADP enticing. He’s an ideal QB2 to pair with someone like Big Ben.

Football Johnny is here on pure potential. I’m personally not a fan, but we’ve seen Tebow and RG3 have success running the ball early in their careers, so you can’t ignore Johnny. He may not start the year, but should see the field after the Browns’ early bye week. He’ll probably be over-drafted though. And he’s not a great QB2 if you decide to wait on QB because he’s too risky. But if you grab a top 3 QB, he’s a nice asset to acquire and trade later in the year if he’s playing well.

I’ve always been a Locker fan because of his running ability. Tennessee has sneaky young weapons, but it’s just a matter of Locker remaining healthy. Don’t ignore Palmer as a quality QB2. The emergence of Floyd and Ellington should only help that offense. Palmer put up 4200 and 24 last season. Those stats could improve. He’s probably not a good option, though, in leagues that make INTs -2.

Tier 5

[TABLE="width: 82"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 124"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]McCown7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]G Smith11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Hill4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Flacco11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Fitzpatrick10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Manuel9[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

These are more 2 QB league picks. I’m a big EJ Manuel fan. For some reason, I watched a lot of Bills games last year, and he showed some tremendous leadership traits in close games and pressure situations. The Bills have built an offense with some of the fastest players in the NFL. Look for them to utilize the short passing game, allowing Manuel to make simple throws, while allowing the skill players to get out in space and accumulate YAC. He probably will go undrafted in 1 QB leagues, but he is someone to monitor as a waiver pick up if he starts the year out hot.

Tannehill could take a leap in his 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] year. He’s going to have to if he wants to remain the Dolphins starter. The Dolphins brought in Bill Lazor from Chip Kelly’s system. We saw how Foles progressed, so perhaps Tannehill could do the same. I just think he holds the ball way too long and makes poor decisions. I’m not sure those are habits that can be broken by coaching.

A quick word on Dalton. The ranking may seem low, but all the news out of Cinncy is that this team is going to pound the ball on the ground. I see Dalton being relegated to more of a Joe Flacco type who may produce in a few games but can’t be relied on in 1 QB leagues.

Last edited:
I'll be adjusting this list periodically until the season starts. When I do, I'll note key changes. Feel free to add your thoughts, especially if you think I'm too low on a player.

interested to see how you feel on Manning in a 6pt pass TD draft. I have the #1 pick and I'm clueless with what I want to do as of now.

interested to see how you feel on Manning in a 6pt pass TD draft. I have the #1 pick and I'm clueless with what I want to do as of now.

Assuming this is not a TD only league, I would draft McCoy and probably go back to back WR in rds 2 and 3. Manning won't last when you pick in round 2, and you can't pass on a top 3 rb in rd 1.

I don't look too much into 6pt td vs. 4pt td for QBs. The only thing that changes is that in a 4pt td league, rushing qbs get a slight bump because rushing tds are 6pts.

Some evidence against Brady (if you don't believe Gonk plays 16 games)

Since 2011. Left column WITH, right column WITHOUT Gronk:

[TABLE="width: 614"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="width: 148"][/TD]
[TD="width: 148"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Passing yards[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]314.6[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]264.3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Passing touchdowns[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]2.2[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]1.7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Completions[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]25.3[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]22.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Interceptions[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"].59[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"].79[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Some evidence against Brady (if you don't believe Gonk plays 16 games)

Since 2011. Left column WITH, right column WITHOUT Gronk:

[TABLE="width: 614"]
<tbody>[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Passing yards[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]314.6[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]264.3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Passing touchdowns[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]2.2[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]1.7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Completions[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]25.3[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"]22.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 148"]Interceptions[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"].59[/TD]
[TD="width: 148"].79[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Good stuff. If you break that down to fantasy points, you're looking at maybe 5 less points a week, which isn't that much in all honesty. It would be 90 points a year though, so it should probably drop him down a little bit, but he's not turning into Ryan Fitzpatrick w/o Gronk.

Assuming this is not a TD only league, I would draft McCoy and probably go back to back WR in rds 2 and 3. Manning won't last when you pick in round 2, and you can't pass on a top 3 rb in rd 1.

I don't look too much into 6pt td vs. 4pt td for QBs. The only thing that changes is that in a 4pt td league, rushing qbs get a slight bump because rushing tds are 6pts.

Couldn't agree less, with TDs counting for 6 then Mannings value sky-rockets...last season he would have been worth 80 points more than the 2nd ranked QB and more than 200 points more valuable than the 12th ranked QB.

Every year the top ranked RB will be around 300 points in standard scoring, giving him on average a 30 point advantage on the 2nd ranked RB and around 120 on the 12th ranked RB.

Even with a regression in performance, Manning is still going to be more valuable per position than the top ranked RB and safer in terms of production as well due to less injury concern over any RB.

Couldn't agree less, with TDs counting for 6 then Mannings value sky-rockets...last season he would have been worth 80 points more than the 2nd ranked QB and more than 200 points more valuable than the 12th ranked QB.

Every year the top ranked RB will be around 300 points in standard scoring, giving him on average a 30 point advantage on the 2nd ranked RB and around 120 on the 12th ranked RB.

Even with a regression in performance, Manning is still going to be more valuable per position than the top ranked RB and safer in terms of production as well due to less injury concern over any RB.

agree with a lot of this, but didn't consider the bolded point... very interesting.

I can see an argument for Manning if you think he is in his own tier and is that much better than Brees and/or Rogers. But you have factor in positional requirements. You need to draft 2 or 3 starting RBs and 3 or 4 starting WRs. You only start 1 QB. That's why you see QB value increase drastically in two QB leagues, because then it makes the position as valuable, if not more valuable, than RB and WR.

I don't really buy the injury argument. Anyone can get injured anytime, including QBs. Manning is 38 and just 2 years removed from neck surgery. Anything can happen.

Manning has never missed a game besides the 2011 season and takes the fewest hits of any QB in the history of the game.

Last year with 6 point TD passing scoring Manning would have been worth 245 points more than the 12th ranked QB, while top rated RB Jamaal Charles was worth 210 points more than the 36th rated RB.

6 pt passing TD's dictate taking the top QB's at the top of the draft. Manning would have been top 3 at his position his last 4 seasons played...there isn't a single RB that could make that claim.

I've updated the rankings. Not much news out there for QB's yet. I've shuffled Tier 4. With the positive reports of Gronk, Brady deserves a bump in value. He could continue to rise. I've also bumped up Palmer (more comfortable in system) and Tannenhill (potential in new system).

Newton still says he's feeling affects of ankle injury. If that affects his running ability, he's well-positioned as a backend QB1. No reason to reach for him.

Indy loses another O-lineman. T Rich was ok, but not great. Could see Indy being force to utilize a gun formation and have Luck throw more. Bad O line, though, could also result in Luck facing pressures. He's tough to rank right now.

Football Johnny looked great. It was against 2nd stringers, but he tore it up. Elusive, fast, and also threw with some zing on the ball. If he plays this well in preseason game 2, I can't see how he won't be the week 1 starter. He'll be rising in the rankings. The only thing that sucks is that someone will likely overdraft him in home leagues.

Updated the rankings, and I will have another update after this weekend's games. I've bumped Kap, Brady, Maziel, and Palmer up. I'm coming around to Kap for a few reasons. At least to start the year, this D will not be as good. I don't think SF will be able to rely on their conservative run game, like years past. I also like that the AFC West plays the NFC East this year. That's the reason I've bumped Palmer. I'm liking Brady more now because I don't think the Pats run game will be very good. If James White is getting first team work, it's pretty clear that Billichick still doesn't trust Ridley. If Gronk somehow stays healthy, Brady is top 5.

gronk limping. ugh. he's not going to be ready week 1 and prob won't be 100% all year. big guy on an ACL - 8 months since surgery. not good.

i want to love kap, but it seems like they don't let him run. he could easily have 1000 + 5 rush TDs. seems like they wait til playoffs to let him open it up. but if they are behind in games that will be diff i guess.

Why so low on Dalton? There is no reason, imo, that he should be behind any of those guys in Tier 4 (especially JFF), and he should be at least in the middle of the pack there in Tier 3. He was the 3rd leading fantasy scorer last year...and while they may run the ball a bit more this year and he probably won't be that high, I don't see him dropping down to where you have him listed. I see that you listed that as a reason, but even still, again, he's going to be better than the guys in Tier 4 at the very least.

RGIII seems way too high on this list as well, but I understand you're high on him this year so I understand why you have him where you do.

Less than a week away from my first draft, I've updated the rankings. The Falcons lost Baker for the season. It's a problem. Rookie, Matthews will likely slide over to LT. It's a concern, especially after seeing Ryan struggle last year. I've bumped Ryan down a bit. After seeing this Colts run game struggle, Luck is firmly in Tier 2. If the Colts want to win, they will have to air it out. The options in the pass game are also very deep. This will be Luck's best year. Brady has risen. I watched him against Philly, and he looked vintage -- moving well in the pocket and spreading the ball around. And if Gronk returns, look out. I'm still skeptical about Newton due to health. He needs the rushing stats to be there, but if his ankle isn't 100% that could be a problem.

My opinions at the QB position haven't changed. I want my starter to come from at least Tier 3. That means I confidently like 16 QBs. My goal is to get a Tier 2 QB somewhere near the 9th/10th round. In my mocks, I seem to be able to get Big Ben as my QB2 late in drafts. I think he has top-10 upside in this uptempo system.

Why so low on Dalton? There is no reason, imo, that he should be behind any of those guys in Tier 4 (especially JFF), and he should be at least in the middle of the pack there in Tier 3. He was the 3rd leading fantasy scorer last year...and while they may run the ball a bit more this year and he probably won't be that high, I don't see him dropping down to where you have him listed. I see that you listed that as a reason, but even still, again, he's going to be better than the guys in Tier 4 at the very least.

RGIII seems way too high on this list as well, but I understand you're high on him this year so I understand why you have him where you do.

In the back end of the QB rankings, I rather go with upside guys like Manziel, Palmer, and Tannenhill. Dalton might be safer, but he's only a QB2 as it is. Unless your in a 2 QB league, go with a high upside QB2 (if you even draft a QB2).

I'm close to bumping Carson Palmer up another team. He's on the radar as a QB2 who you can pair with someone like Ben or Rivers VERY late. AZ plays the NFC East, so Palmer is due for a lot of shootouts. He's a match up play. I count 10 games where he should be a top-12 QB option. The only issue is his playoff schedule: Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks. He won't be a QB1 in any of those games, I don't think.

Something to think about the next few days. But just more evidence to wait very late to draft a QB, and you can even get 2 quality options after rd 10.

In the back end of the QB rankings, I rather go with upside guys like Manziel, Palmer, and Tannenhill. Dalton might be safer, but he's only a QB2 as it is. Unless your in a 2 QB league, go with a high upside QB2 (if you even draft a QB2).

We'll just agree to disagree on Dalton I guess. If he plays how he did last year, he's a pretty clear QB1...at the very least he has a huge upside as a QB2, as evidenced by last season.

Last I checked Dalton was 3rd overall fantasy QB last year

Yeah, he was. The issue many see is the new OC and the fact that they may run the ball a lot more than they pass it. They still, however, have AJ Green...and he's gonna get his. The other thing is too many people hate on Dalton for what he's done in the playoffs...which has nothing to do with fantasy football. I just don't see him as a QB who can possibly be rated behind Tannehill, Eli, and for fuck's sake Johnny Manziel...it makes no sense.

Yeah, he was. The issue many see is the new OC and the fact that they may run the ball a lot more than they pass it. They still, however, have AJ Green...and he's gonna get his. The other thing is too many people hate on Dalton for what he's done in the playoffs...which has nothing to do with fantasy football. I just don't see him as a QB who can possibly be rated behind Tannehill, Eli, and for fuck's sake Johnny Manziel...it makes no sense.

Totally agree with you here Lareux

Anyone other than myself thinks Peyton runs outta gas this year???

He should have a great year as long as he stays healthy, which certainly could be an issue. My issue with Manning is that I think he's on the same level (same tier) as Rogers and Brees. Manning will go in rd 1 in most home drafts, so the value isn't there. Especially if Rogers and Brees are going a full round or two later.

Final update before my draft this weekend. No significant changes in tiers. RG3 and Kap have looked poor, but their rushing upside still exists. Locker and Geno are draftable QB2's. Both have looked good in preseason. Always loved Locker's rushing upside, if he can only stay healthy.

I'm a Hill fan, and he's entered the rankings whereas Bradford was never in the rankings. I think Hill is better. The Rams have legit weapons in the pass game and a strong run game to keep defenses honest. Hill will be a QB1 on weeks when he plays the NFC east, and the Rams have a very favorable playoff schedule as well.

Strategy on QB hasn't changed. If the Big 3 are there in rd 3, give it a hard look. Otherwise, wait until rd 10 and grab guys like Ben, Cutler, and Rivers. If that strategy scares you, just pick up two of them and play match-ups.

Last edited:
Back