2008 Fantasy RB Rankings (Will Be Updated)

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
Updated Aug 23.

These are my fantasy RB rankings based on a non-ppr league. They will change based on news. I'll keep a date on the 1st post since they've last been revised. I'll be posting regularly this month in the Fantasy Forum.

Any questions or disputes with the rankings can be posted, and I'll answer them. Fantasy Football is basically all I do in the month of August.

The following teams all still have questionable RB situations:

Arizona
Carolina
Chicago
Cincinnati
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Miami
New Orleans
NY Giants
Oakland
Pittsburgh
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Tennessee

This is unlike anything we've seen in the past years. 16 teams (half the league) have RB questions. Probably half of this list will have the questions answered by late August, which is the start of many Fantasy drafts.

These rankings are in a tier system. That means every player in the tier is the same. A tier system is great to use during a draft to value your picks.

1 thru 8: All confident rock-solid #1 RB's. Monitor Jackson, and when he signs, he will move up.

9 thru 14: Fringe #1's/Strong #2 RB's with potential to be solid #1's.

15 thru 24: RB2's with the potential to be busts.

25 thru 33: Players whose situations are very unclear right now. They should all be looked at as #3 RB's right now, but that could change later in the month.

34 thru 39: Quality RB3's who could be fantasy starters at any point this season.

40 thru 52: RB4's with nice potential depending on what happens to the guy(s) playing ahead of them.

53-72: Take a flier because it's likely a few of these guys will have fantasy relevance by the end of the season.

Last edited:
1. Tomlinson<sup>9</sup><o></o>
2. Westbrook<sup>7<o></o></sup>
3. Peterson<sup>8</sup><o></o>
<o></o>
4. Joe Addai<sup>4<o></o></sup>
5. Jackson<sup>5<o></o></sup>
6. Portis<sup>10<o></o></sup>
7. Barber<sup>10</sup><o></o>
8. Lynch6<o></o>
<o></o>
9. Frank Gore<sup>9</sup><o></o>
10. Ryan Grant<sup>8</sup> <o></o>
11. Jam Lewis<sup>5<o></o></sup>
12. Johnson<sup>6<o></o></sup>
13. Jones-Drew<sup>7</sup> <o></o>
14. McGahee<sup>10</sup><o></o>
<o></o>
15. Parker<sup>6<o></o></sup>
16. Tom Jones<sup>5<o></o></sup>
17. Turner<sup>7<o></o></sup>
18. Edge James<sup>7<o></o></sup>
19. Jacobs<sup>4<o></o></sup>
20. Bush<sup>9</sup><o></o>
21. McFadden<sup>5<o></o></sup>
<o></o>
22. Maroney<sup>4<o></o></sup>
23. Graham<sup>10<o></o></sup>
24. Kev Smith<sup>4<o></o></sup>
25. Fred Taylor<sup>7<o></o></sup>
26. Matt Forte<sup>8<o></o></sup>
27. D Williams<sup>9<o></o></sup>
<o></o>
28. Sel Young<sup>8<o></o></sup>
29. White<sup>6</sup><o></o>
30. Julius Jones<sup>4<o></o></sup>
31. Ch Johnson<sup>6</sup><o></o>
32. R Williams<sup>4<o></o></sup>
33. Ron Brown<sup>4<o></o></sup>
34. Perry<sup>8</sup><o></o>
35. Stewart<sup>9</sup><o></o>
36. McCallister<sup>9<o></o></sup>
37. Slaton<o></o>
38. Watson<sup>8</sup><o></o>
39. Andre Hall<sup>8</sup><o></o>
<o></o><o></o>
40. Bradshaw<sup>4<o></o></sup>
41. Dunn<sup>10<o></o></sup>
42. Fargas<sup>5</sup><o></o>
43. Ray Rice<sup>10</sup><o></o>
44. Ch Taylor<sup>8</sup><o></o>
45. Mendenhall<sup>6</sup><o></o>
46. Felix Jones<sup>10<o></o></sup>
47. Mau Morris<sup>4<o></o></sup>
<o></o>
48. Norwood<sup>7<o></o></sup>
49. P Thomas<sup>9<o></o></sup>
50. Hightower<sup>7<o></o></sup>
51. D Foster<sup>9<o></o></sup>
52. Ru Johnson<sup>8<o></o></sup>
<o></o>
53. Ch Brown<sup>8</sup><o></o>
54. Ward<sup>4<o></o></sup>
55. Booker<sup>7<o></o></sup>
56. Stecker<sup>9<o></o></sup>
57. Sam Morris<sup>4<o></o></sup>
58. Washington<sup>5<o></o></sup>
59. Cr Taylor<sup>8</sup><o></o>
60. Fr Jackson<sup>6<o></o></sup>
61. Peterson<sup>4</sup>
62. Buckhalter<sup>7</sup><o></o>
63. Jordan<sup>4</sup><o></o>
64. Wright<sup>5</sup><o></o>
65. Leonard<sup>5</sup><o></o>
66. Betts<sup>10</sup><o></o>
67. J Hester<sup>9<o></o></sup>
68. Bush<sup>5</sup><o></o>
69. A Green<sup>8*</sup><o></o>
70. Br Jackson<sup>8</sup><o></o>
71. Rhodes<sup>4</sup><o></o>
72. Kev Jones<sup>8*</sup><o></o>
<sup></sup><o></o>

Last edited:
Whats your reasoning for Addai....I dont thinik he is top tier.....Top of second Tier in my rankings.

i worry about addai. i've got him and westbrook in a keeper, and i could get fucked. westbrook goes down with injury and addai shuts down for the last 6 games... we'll see. i'd rate jackson above addai right now

Westbrook is one hit away from a career ending injury IMO....I hope I dont get the third pick.....

Whats your reasoning for Addai....I dont thinik he is top tier.....Top of second Tier in my rankings.

Addai is still a young back. I see him getting even better and improving on last season's numbers. He's a touchdown machine. You can argue for him to even be ranked #3 considering Westbrook and Jackson have injury concerns.

i worry about addai. i've got him and westbrook in a keeper, and i could get fucked. westbrook goes down with injury and addai shuts down for the last 6 games... we'll see. i'd rate jackson above addai right now

I've got the #1 pick in one of my leagues. It's a keeper league and Tomlinson and Peterson are kept. I need to choose between Addai, Jackson, and Westbrook. Or maybe even trade the pick...

Id stay away from Westbrook, even though his numbers are good, he always scares me about injuries. However, he did just ink a huge deal so he should be motivated to play....Or you could trade your number three for a later 1st round pick....and move up in the second as well....

Significant changes to the RB rankings and tiers. I'll have one more update on Friday.

Jackson drops very low. He might not even start the regular season.

McGahee drops. I doubt he plays 16 games this season. Also, Ray Rice moves UP.

Parker moves up. Edge moves down. We still don't know who is getting goal line carries in Pitt. I believe Hightower will get goalline carries in AZ.

Deangelo Williams and Kevin Smith move up. Both will start the season as the #1 PRIMARY back.

Len White and Sel Young drop. Chris Johnson and Hall move up.

Ronnie Brown and Rud Johnson DROP. Williams and Perry could be the day 1 starters, They move up.

Significant changes to the RB rankings and tiers. I'll have one more update on Friday.

Jackson drops very low. He might not even start the regular season.

McGahee drops. I doubt he plays 16 games this season. Also, Ray Rice moves UP.

Parker moves up. Edge moves down. We still don't know who is getting goal line carries in Pitt. I believe Hightower will get goalline carries in AZ.

Deangelo Williams and Kevin Smith move up. Both will start the season as the #1 PRIMARY back.

Len White and Sel Young drop. Chris Johnson and Hall move up.

Ronnie Brown and Rud Johnson DROP. Williams and Perry could be the day 1 starters, They move up.

WHY IS PARKER UP in a pass first offense.

WHY IS PARKER UP in a pass first offense.

I think public perception is Pitt has this huge passing offense. Check it out:

Rushing Attempts Per Team in 2007:

1. Titans (543)

2. Jaguars (522)

3. Steelers (511)

Steelers had about 32 rushing attempts per game.

I think public perception is Pitt has this huge passing offense. Check it out:

Rushing Attempts Per Team in 2007:

1. Titans (543)

2. Jaguars (522)

3. Steelers (511)

Steelers had about 32 rushing attempts per game.

Do you think parker gets it in the Red Zone?

He wants to get red zone carries. It's not determined yet. My league awards 1pt per 10yrds rushing, so even if he gets 100 and no scores, that's still 10pts. Not bad for a #2 RB...

I see no reason to drop him because of Mendenhall until we actually see Mendenhall produce and get the goal-line reps with the 1st team. So far, Parker has looked good, and he's been getting majority reps with the 1st team.

My top two tiers match exactly. Thanks for posting this believe. Why Maroney so low? Jordan nor Morris pose a threat to his number of carries. He has a top 5 OL blocking for him.

My top two tiers match exactly. Thanks for posting this believe. Why Maroney so low? Jordan nor Morris pose a threat to his number of carries. He has a top 5 OL blocking for him.

I just don't think Maroney will be a 20 carry a game back. Jordan looked good, and he could see significant time. This is still a pass first team.

Yep,

WE still dont know if hes in shape. He return to form by the third game, hes an athlete. If the offense stays healthy he becomes a significant fantasy stud.

New OC in StL means plenty of passing. Jackson is a great pick in ppr leagues. I think Bulger breaks out of the two year funk this year. I drafted Holt to support this statement.

That sux, If i have a top back I like to have a soild handcuff.

Lynch-Jackson
Portis-Betts
Barber-Jones

To me that makes them safer.

That sux, If i have a top back I like to have a soild handcuff.

Lynch-Jackson
Portis-Betts
Barber-Jones

To me that makes them safer.

I would just hope I don't need a handcuff for my top back LOL. But that's just another reason I don't like Westbrook this year.

what's the word on rudi johnson? I was offered him for mendenhall. should I take it?

Rudi is getting up there in age and faces plenty of competition in Watson and Perry.

Mendenhall could get Pitt's red zone rushes.

I'd stay put for now. I hope you're not depending on either of these two in the first half the season as a RB.

thanks for the list believe ... .very informative, especially with discussion ... i don't have faith in Westbrook either to match where he's getting ranked and will drop him

I would just hope I don't need a handcuff for my top back LOL. But that's just another reason I don't like Westbrook this year.

As rough as the NFL is on running backs you have to assume even the best guys are going to get hurt sooner or later....

It's draft day, and the RB position is still unclear. From 15-40 each of those players could be solid fantasy starters, OR total busts.

Drop Ronnie Brown, raise Rickey.
Drop Rudi, raise Perry/Watson.
Monitor Houston's RB's.
Raise Parker.
Raise Mcfadden
Raise Kevin Smith
Take Deangelo Williams BEFORE Stewart.
Drop selvin young

Believe the running backs like you said are so hard to forcast this year. Its really a roll of the dice, seasons will be won with luck imo. I am starting to come around on parker, like you said Mendhall isnt gonna come in and take over, even int eh red zone.

Why dropping Selvin Young? He looked good, just not gonna get all the GL carries

Andre Hall (I think thats his name) is looking great in preseason. I expect him to at worst split with Young if not be the full starter with young only being 3rd down back

Back