RetroVK

This claim is disputed
2008 record
full unit plays 2-4
sides 2-3 -1.30 units
moneyline dogs 0-1 -1.00 units

totals 3-0 + 1.20 units
middles /traps/specs/scalps/traps 1-1 +$170

Last week i went 2-3 on my side bets and 0-1 on my moneyline bets. I will talk about them in the order in which i felt i capped them from worst to best.
Idaho +28 loser--game was delayed for a long time and when they started only arizona played football. Total and complete domination. Idaho had 7 first downs and 5 turnovers. Arizona had 27 first downs. idaho had 112 yards of total offense and arizona had 521. The final score was 70-0. Safe to say I was on the wrong side of that game. i never actually got to watch a play of this one, thank heavens.
UTEP +135 loser--Buffalo had 221 yards receiving on 10 catches. 263 yards on the ground and outscored utep 28-3 the last 30 and a half minutes of the game. Buffalo stifled the miners rush game , holding them to 67 yards on 26 carries. Clearly on the wrong side of the game again. Very poorly capped. I never actually got watch a play of this game. like idaho , thankful for that.
Wyoming -9.5 loser -- Ohio QB scott was more impressive than i expected and he had a field day throwing to price repeatedly. price had 14 receptions for 139 yards and i believe he set a school record. ohio actually outgained wyoming in this game 287 yards to 271. Solich made some bad decisions which i believe cost ohio the outright victory and i thought they played the better overall game. The bright spot for wyoming was their ability to stop the run. They held ohio to 39 yards on 21 carries. I thought that would happen , i just did not think that Scott could get the job done and he proved me wrong in a big way. When you lay a big number like 9.5 you expect domination and that certainly was not the case for this game. The game closed upwards of two td so i can atleast feel good about the value.
Temple -4.5 winner --Finally get to talk about a winner. Unfortunately i am not sure that i had this game capped outexactly right. Benefited from some lucky plays and turnovers to make a close game look deceivingly like Temple dominated. They did not. Temple had a fumble return for td , a kickoff return for td , and a 8 yard td drive set up by turnover. Sort of the inverse of what happened in this game last year. Statistically , and from what i watched physically , the game was much closer. Army outgained temple 284 to 250. They had more first downs 17-16. they averaged 3.6 a carry compared to temples 2.8 a carry. Very iffy as to whether i would bet this again ... i still think it was the right side but not completely convinced.
hawaii + 35.5 loser --Feel very unfortunate to lose this bet. Hawaii was effective early moving the ball. Alexander had an open receiver at the tail end of a drive in first quarter for waht looked like a td but slightly overthrew the ball and florida got the interception for the touchback. Then late first quarter with florida driving , tebow was hit from behind while scrambling and fumbled the ball , it rolled right back into his arms. At the start of the second quarter florida ended that drive with a td. On the very next series of downs hawaii was intercepted for a td. After a hawaii fumble , florida three and out and hawaii three and out ,,,florida returned a punt 74 yards for a td ... a punt that was bouncing and originally going to be let go until it bounced perfect for the return man. On hawaiis next drive they had what looked to be an apparent incomplete pass that was ruled a completion and the guy who made the nice effort to try and catch it then proceeded to fumble. Hawaii did not challenge and florida started on the hawaii half of the field. Florida offense finally did something ...a 15 yard rush and then a 33 yard rush and they were in the end zone. At this point , quit began to settle in for hawaii. So hawaii probably played as well as i could have hoped for defensively in the first half but bad breaks , costly turnovers , a bad call , and a punt return for td put them behind the eightball. Being behind the 28 at half took a lot of heart out of the team. When all was said and done florida had just 406 yards of offense , and just 20 first downs. If you told me that before i made the bet it would obviosuly be an easy decision to bet hawaii.... but when all was said and done florida was +6 in turnovers , had a punt return for td and had a successful fake punt inside their own 30 yardline. the final score was 56 - 10 ... i lost the bet by 9.5 points .... feel very good about the position i took in this game. hawaii ended up with 241 yards of offense and 16 first downs. Clearly on the correct side of this bet.
TCU -5.5 winner --feel good about how i capped this one out. If you read my writeup it pretty much went as advertised. tcu dominated the line of scrimmage , especially defensively. UN was held to 56 yards rushing and just 9 first downs. just circle the lobo game for next year and lay the points with tcu. they own them. Two things to note about the game .. porterie the starting qb for unm went down either late first half or early third quarter , cant remember which. That made it difficult for lobos to have any chance of a second half comeback. both offenses were hindered by a strong wind in this game every other quarter. The kicking game of tcu is very suspect. they missed an extra point and a field goal from extra point distance.

So i feel pretty bad about how i capped for week one. I really think i only got what i expected in the hawaii game and the tcu game. the temple game was "eh". The idaho , utep and wyoming game were clearly miscapped. Not good that only 33% of the full unit plays were capped well.

I went 3-0 in my totals plays last week but unfortunately i play them for considerably less than a full unit this year due to losing money betting them last year. figures dont it ? lets take a look

Idaho/arizona over 63 winner-- I could easily record this in the specs section as i was sort of expecting the line to move up , inwhich case i would have played back on the under but i also liked it quite a bit as i thought idaho would score in the twenties. When the weather reports started surfacing midweek the line started to fall and i was stuck with an over in bad weather. the game was delayed for a good period of time before starting. went over that game already above so you know what happened. Luckily Arizona scored 70 ... this one won but for all the wrong reasons for why i liked it. only 34 first downs in a bet lined at 63. miserably capped game but i will take it as partial payback for the well capped florida loss.

ncstate/scarolina under 50 winner-- closed under 45 i think... so got great value again. Game was 3-0 at halftime so i knew this was in barring overtime at that point. most everyone probably watched that game so i will keep this short. 30 combined first downs in the game that was lined at 50 points. clearly well capped i think

northwestern/syracuse under 58 winner -- feel good about how i capped thsi game out as well. northwestern took some time to get into a rhythm early and the syracuse running game was improved. the first td of the game was scored with under 4 minutes to go in the first half when syracuse blew a coverage with two men guarding 3 receivers on the right defensive side of the play. northwestern fumbled the first play of the second half and cuse recovered inside the ten yard line and punched it in. There was a second half int for td in the game that made me start to sweat it a little but it was in pretty safely. Again just 36 first downs combined in a game lined at 58 points. clearly well capped i think

So there you have my week one recap and self evaluation. Not going to lie, i was a bit demoralized after saturday night after all the work i put in the entire offseason and for week1. But I am also confident that fundamentals of handicapping coupled with discipline will win the money.

locked in

northwestern -6.5 ( cris ) added aug 31
georgia tech +7.5 ( cris ) added aug 31
miami florida +21 ( cris ) added aug 31
central michigan +23 ( cris ) added aug 31
wyoming -3 ( cris ) added aug 31
california -11.5 ( cris ) added aug 31
w michigan -6.5 ( cris ) added aug 31
syracuse -4 ( cris ) added sept 3
pittsburgh -13 ( stations ) added sept 3

unlv/utah over 40 ( cris ) added sept 2 ( 0.55 units to win 0.50 units )
cmich/georgia over 55 ( cris ) added sept 2 ( 0.55 units to win 0.50 units )

strong leans

pittsburgh -12.5 ( added to plays sept 3 )
temple +7 ( eliminated sept 3 )
syracuse -5.5 ( added to plays sept 3 at -4 )
utah -21 ( eliminated sept 3 )

talk me off leans

kent st +7.5 ( eliminated sept 3 )
michigan -13.5 ( eliminated sept 3 )
Nevada +10.5 ( eliminated sept 3 )
penn state -15 ( eliminated sept 3 )
stanford +14.5 ( eliminated sept 3 )
ohio +34.5 ( eliminated sept 3 )
wvu -7 ( eliminated sept 3 )

note i will be leaving town early thursday morning to el paso to catch my favorite team , the texas longhorns, as they face my alma mater , the utep miners. So apologize for not being around to discuss games much from thursday on.

Last edited:
Hmm....some interesting ones that I didn't expect to see you on.

Why Miami +21? Didn't you post that you thought Florida would be -20 earlier?

Interesting. How are you locked in? I don't see a single book that has the lines up yet. I know LVSC has the lines up....

Hmm....some interesting ones that I didn't expect to see you on.

Why Miami +21? Didn't you post that you thought Florida would be -20 earlier?

yes. predicting what i thought we would see released , not how i wanted to bet it though.

Interesting. How are you locked in? I don't see a single book that has the lines up yet. I know LVSC has the lines up....

Might want to look at Bookmaker, dude. They've been up for more than a half hour.

I've got three locked in myself.

Looks like Wyoming laying an egg yesterday gave a gift for this week.

lets hope its a golden egg. The one thing wyoming did show was the ability to stop the run. I like that against air force. have to like that wyoming won while playing bad too. And the wyoming/ohio game closed 13.5/14 and they open air force at +1 ? ridiculous, ...... air force is not the better part of two td better than ohio....not even close.

lets hope its a golden egg. The one thing wyoming did show was the ability to stop the run. I like that against air force. have to like that wyoming won while playing bad too. And the wyoming/ohio game closed 13.5/14 and they open air force at +1 ? ridiculous, ...... air force is not the better part of two td better than ohio....not even close.

exactly on the ohio/afa line comparison. pretty obvious that the books expect alot of money against Wyoming after so many lost money on them in week 1. AFA is in no way superior or equal to Wyoming on a neutral field.

GL VK... i would think money will push the Miami/UF line in your favor, so I am surprised to see you jump on Miami early.

GL VK... i would think money will push the Miami/UF line in your favor, so I am surprised to see you jump on Miami early.

was at 23 or so a few minutes before i bet it. will be a late push but the money in the first few days will be on maimi florida i think. Of course i also thought the usc/virginia line would move up last week.

i like gt, vk...and i think that out of all of your plays that's the only game that i might be interested in...miami seems like a solid play, and i'd probably lean your way on northwestern, cal and western mich...i don't think air force is special by any means, but i just don't get this wyoming phenomena, and the only game i would be against ya is central michigan, and i doubt i'd lay 23.5 pts.

interested to hear your thoughts on latech...i know it was week 1, but i don't see miss st as overrated at all, and latech impressed the hell out of me. 20.5 to be honest surprised the hell outta me. also surprised to see you not on temple...i'll definitely be on them. some other sides i'm lookin at tomorrow that caught my eye at first glance over are ole miss, ecu, nm, minny, ohio, kent st...

What are your thoughts on Buffalo +12. Dont intend to play it, but im in shock that its that high and going higher (was 11.5 a few hours ago). I dont know if its because I saw a massacre in live living color and thats why I think Buffalo ML might not be a crazy bet (seriously)

one note on buffalo alex that would scare me off (although i do agree 12 is high) is that they will not be able to stop the run...run defense is rough, and i'm not sure what the hell happened when bg came to town besides the fact they turned it over 4 times because bg is even worse at stopping the run, but that is going to be (well at least it should be, stache) a big part of this game, and i believe something buffalo will not be able to overcome

one note on buffalo alex that would scare me off (although i do agree 12 is high) is that they will not be able to stop the run...run defense is rough, and i'm not sure what the hell happened when bg came to town besides the fact they turned it over 4 times because bg is even worse at stopping the run, but that is going to be (well at least it should be, stache) a big part of this game, and i believe something buffalo will not be able to overcome

One problem for Mccoy has always been fumbles, he did it numerous times last year in big moments, and could keep doing it this year, even though it was reported he worked on it all spring and summer, looks like he didnt. I think when you are capping pitt this year, the numbers get tossed out the window, even though Buffalo sucks against the run, you can fully expect, Stache throwing twenty five-thirty five 4 yard slot passes that lead to nothing but 3 and outs and at the end of the game when all hope is gone, running the ball.

What are your thoughts on Buffalo +12. Dont intend to play it, but im in shock that its that high and going higher (was 11.5 a few hours ago). I dont know if its because I saw a massacre in live living color and thats why I think Buffalo ML might not be a crazy bet (seriously)

I would say this goes higher then +12 but I might be wrong :36_11_6:

i like gt, vk...and i think that out of all of your plays that's the only game that i might be interested in...miami seems like a solid play, and i'd probably lean your way on northwestern, cal and western mich...i don't think air force is special by any means, but i just don't get this wyoming phenomena, and the only game i would be against ya is central michigan, and i doubt i'd lay 23.5 pts.

interested to hear your thoughts on latech...i know it was week 1, but i don't see miss st as overrated at all, and latech impressed the hell out of me. 20.5 to be honest surprised the hell outta me. also surprised to see you not on temple...i'll definitely be on them. some other sides i'm lookin at tomorrow that caught my eye at first glance over are ole miss, ecu, nm, minny, ohio, kent st...

The Wyoming play is pure value at its finest. They did not impress me at all this past saturday , in fact i thought ohio deserved an outright win. However They did stop the ohio running game and lets face it , that is the bread and butter for air force. Going to be a tough game for their new qb to succeed as well. air force is down a lot year over year. outside of hosting sdsu later in the year , this is their easiest conference game.

I like central michigan to score. Anytime i love a team to score , i like four scores.

Was talking with a capper on the phone today and latech was one of the games we both agreed that there may be value in the line with but that we are staying away from. latech will be doing a lot of celebrating this week. Couple that with travel and a tough opponent and it makes for a bad spot imo. If latech comes inspired they can keep it within the number. i also thought they were impressive. went toe to toe with an sec team and OUT physical them. i went 0-3 last year betting against kansas as well and i have an unwritten rule with myself right now about getting involved with them ... so a little gunshy as well. Also the latech win takes away any element of sneaking up on kansas now.

ok about temple........ i had this game circled in the offseason as i am sure a lot of you guys know. i have talked about the revenge factor and how well temple played against them last year. But two things have happened since then .... the number is only +7 and Temple was anything but impressive against army. If i were to play it , and i have not eliminated it yet , i will need atleast the hook. This game was lined at 30 points last year. Significant. ummmm why was i not on temple for this game last year ... almost as bad as not having stanford at usc.

ecu and unm are on my short lists as well.

some others i havent capped out yet. a little behind schedule.

line is low. it will probably be bet down but it is too low. it will be on my strong leans for the pitt side. was hoping the buffalo demolition of utep and the bg win over pitt would give us a slightly better number ... but this thing is lined as if buffalo and BG are on par and they are not in my opinion. Everytime i bet against buffalo they put up 42 though.

not going to pound pitt for 263 yards on the ground though , and are not going to hold them to under 100 either. AT 10.5 or less i play for sure. at 11-12.5 range i have to think harder.

ml on buffalo is not completely crazy. pitt has proved time and again their ability to under achieve. Should be a tough week of practice though.

Last edited:
ml on buffalo is not completely crazy. pitt has proved time and again their ability to under achieve. Should be a tough week of practice though.
\

ha oh yeah, tough week of practice doing nothing. Seriously, can you imagine Dave Wannstedt staring you down when you know youve fucked up? Good chance the players laugh at him

I think Bama could be ripe for the fading.

They came out impressive, yes, but I was not the least bit surprised. When is the last time Saban has had months to prepare for an opponent and failed? Exactly. He is a great defensive mind and I still wish he was in Baton Rouge. Bama comes out and beats the perrenial choke artists of Clemson. The media thinks this is a huge upset, the public will likely think the same. I'm not saying to back Tulane in week two, but I am saying to keep your eyes open on future lines on Bama because they will be overpriced until they are beaten in conference play.

i think gt could be an ats machine this yr. paul johnson could be the best hc in cfb

he very well could be the best coach in cfb. BC not a team that is going to put up a ton of points .... GT will be competitive and the game will be low scoring ... and will be lined low scoring. the 7.5 will always be in range.

I think Bama could be ripe for the fading.

They came out impressive, yes, but I was not the least bit surprised. When is the last time Saban has had months to prepare for an opponent and failed? Exactly. He is a great defensive mind and I still wish he was in Baton Rouge. Bama comes out and beats the perrenial choke artists of Clemson. The media thinks this is a huge upset, the public will likely think the same. I'm not saying to back Tulane in week two, but I am saying to keep your eyes open on future lines on Bama because they will be overpriced until they are beaten in conference play.

probably overpriced now .... but that game had a kansas of 2007 feel to it. Not stepping in front of that train with Tulane in the bama home opener with a crowd as energized as that one will be. Get ready for the saban for president signs.

Hey kyle. I just asked Fondy this question.

Doesn't Wake at home giving 8 against Ole Miss look like a gift?

I think will give Wyoming another try.

The pricks got me last week. Went 5-1 and they were my only loss.:cheers:

Hey kyle. I just asked Fondy this question.

Doesn't Wake at home giving 8 against Ole Miss look like a gift?

I think will give Wyoming another try.

The pricks got me last week. Went 5-1 and they were my only loss.:cheers:

grats on the big week.

no i dont think wake minus the points is a gift at all. i actually lined the game -7.5. seems pretty fair.

Have to strongly disagree with the LT assessments. I (for some reason?) watched a good part of that game and they looked like a total dog's ass, it just happened that MSU was much worse. they were really pretty lucky that Carroll was just lofting them passes. 15 of 41 passing and only 2.5 ypc. Both touchdown "drives" were short fields set up by MSU. I could see significantly down-grading MSU in power ratings, but I don't think LT get should get a bump just yet.

Have to strongly disagree with the LT assessments. I (for some reason?) watched a good part of that game and they looked like a total dog's ass, it just happened that MSU was much worse. they were really pretty lucky that Carroll was just lofting them passes. 15 of 41 passing and only 2.5 ypc. Both touchdown "drives" were short fields set up by MSU. I could see significantly down-grading MSU in power ratings, but I don't think LT get should get a bump just yet.

i watched about 90 percent of the plays from this game and came away thinking the two teams were pretty evenly matched and that the SEC team was not physically dominant. I thought latech looked well coached and inspired for most of the game. They were definitely the benefactors of some turnovers but the rush defense was inspired. Not saying they are necessarily a better team than miss st but saying they beat miss st at their own game. As the game moved forward , latech seemed to get better and msu worse. box score pretty much tells the story. if you flip the turnovers msu probably wins by 8 instead. pretty even match up.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD>
344.gif
</TD><TD>
2348.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>16</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>3rd down efficiency
</TD><TD>4-15</TD><TD>6-18</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>4th down efficiency
</TD><TD>1-1</TD><TD>1-2</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>322</TD><TD>243</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>243</TD><TD>161</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Comp-Att
</TD><TD>21-40</TD><TD>15-41</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per pass
</TD><TD>6.1</TD><TD>3.9</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>79</TD><TD>82</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Rushing Attempts
</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>33</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per rush
</TD><TD>2.6</TD><TD>2.5</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>10-64</TD><TD>6-35</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Fumbles lost
</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Interceptions thrown
</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>28:41</TD><TD>31:19</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The mississippi state fourth quarter drives went like this ...

3 and out 5 yards ( 1 play for 25 yards on last play of third quarter )
3 and out 1 yard
3 and out minus 1 yard

i would never adjust a power rating based on one game of football other than to adjust for key injuries.

Dog's ass is a bit harsh i think but pretty funny too. it was a defensive game.

VK -

If you don't mind me asking, how many units do you have on each of the games you have locked in? Just curious to see how much you liked each of them and if there were certain games you liked more than others. I haven't done all of my research yet but I don't necessarily disagree with any of your plays and I know I will be on a couple of them, notably NW and GT.

BOL.

I Love the W. Michigan Pick buddy, was hoping the loss to Nebraska and NIU's close loss to Minnesota would put WMU as like 4-5 point favorites but anything under a TD is a gift imo.

I don't know how Florida doesn't run away with this one. Miami will never play this game with the lead and then it's chomp time!

Miami fans won't travel for this .500 team. I think we get a statement.

Good health on rest though bro.

Damn bro, like all the locked in plays and really like the Penn State play, can't talk you out of that one bro! I thgink we're the only two on this damn site that like Miami and Central Michigan though! BOL to ya!

VK -

If you don't mind me asking, how many units do you have on each of the games you have locked in? Just curious to see how much you liked each of them and if there were certain games you liked more than others. I haven't done all of my research yet but I don't necessarily disagree with any of your plays and I know I will be on a couple of them, notably NW and GT.

BOL.

i am a one unit bettor. all games are for one unit. my totals units are considerably lower than a side unit because i had a rough year last year with totals ( actually lost money on them ugh ). So all my bets are for one unit .... EVERY WEEK. Wyoming is my favorite of the bunch and miami florida my least favorite if that is what you are looking for.

I Love the W. Michigan Pick buddy, was hoping the loss to Nebraska and NIU's close loss to Minnesota would put WMU as like 4-5 point favorites but anything under a TD is a gift imo.

By power rating it is considerably off. I did watch northern illinois saturday ( 2.3 of the plays probably ... watching a lot of games at once so miss some plays ) and they are very improved but i have western michigan as the most talented team in the MAC. Made this morelike -10/-9.5 myself so think i have value. unfortunately , i misread where the line was going and in my zeal to stay under the 7 bet it immediately. It now sits 5.5.

I don't know how Florida doesn't run away with this one. Miami will never play this game with the lead and then it's chomp time!

Miami fans won't travel for this .500 team. I think we get a statement.

Good health on rest though bro.

Thanks inspekdah , i could use the luck.

Florida did not play a great game saturday. They were plus 6 in turnovers , had a successful fake punt inside there own 30 yardline and had a punt return for a TD. They had just over 400 yards of total offense and i think 20 first downs. Miami has the athletes to defend and + 3 scores in a rivalry game looks good to me. If i had to pick one team that is the most overrated in the country based on what i saw saturday it would be florida. They do not have a top tier defense ... at all. Youth of miamifl is a concern and florida gets a little healthier this week with harvin and spikes returning which matters. I have a hard time seeing the scenario where miamifl is losing by 30+ late and i dont have atleast a chance at a backdoor against that average defense.

Damn bro, like all the locked in plays and really like the Penn State play, can't talk you out of that one bro! I thgink we're the only two on this damn site that like Miami and Central Michigan though! BOL to ya!

thanks mags .... hope you are right this week since it means my greedy as can win some dough.

Have hopes that central michigan can score in the twenties against georgia. Take my chances that georgia scores under 47. c mich qb one of the best players in the country that no one ever talks about. Road revenge game against south carolina the following week so focus could be an issue for georgia. There is also a chance this game has some weather which i always like when i have the big dog, event hough it would play into georgia power run strength and against c mich spread attack. i like what troy was able to do to georgia and what hawaii was able to do to georgia last year in second half. Also think georgia injuries are the kind that matter.

Yeah I agree with you that W. Mich is the most talented team in the MAC. They just need to start putting together complete games. They lost their number 2 wide receiver in camp for another 4-6 weeks but they can score on anybody.

Nebraska got all their points saturday on long plays and short fields. While WMU scored all their (with exception of a FG) on long drives from their own 20. I didn't know what line to really expect, but I knew I would take them up to the -10 range. I'm from the area and WMU does a good job of filling their stadium on opening night.

Got lucky to miss the initial line and got locked in at -5.5. :cheers:

<TABLE class=fTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aCell>
</TD><TD class=bCell>Placed: ONLINE-1 on: 08/31/2008 @ 03:10 PM </TD><TD class=cCell>STRAIGHT BET</TD><TD class=dCell>Risking: </TD><TD class=eCell>To Win: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=sTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fCell>09/06/2008 @ 04:00 PM </TD><TD class=sCell>[311] NORTHWESTERN -6½-110 - CFB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=fTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aCell>Ticket # 44019882</TD><TD class=bCell>Placed: ONLINE-1 on: 08/31/2008 @ 03:12 PM </TD><TD class=cCell>STRAIGHT BET</TD><TD class=dCell>Risking: </TD><TD class=eCell>To Win: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=sTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fCell>09/06/2008 @ 09:00 AM </TD><TD class=sCell>[313] GEORGIA TECH +7½-110 - CFB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=fTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aCell>Ticket # 44019898</TD><TD class=bCell>Placed: ONLINE-1 on: 08/31/2008 @ 03:13 PM </TD><TD class=cCell>STRAIGHT BET</TD><TD class=dCell>Risking: </TD><TD class=eCell>To Win: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=sTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fCell>09/06/2008 @ 05:00 PM </TD><TD class=sCell>[333] MIAMI FLORIDA +21-110 - CFB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=fTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aCell>Ticket # 44019915</TD><TD class=bCell>Placed: ONLINE-1 on: 08/31/2008 @ 03:14 PM </TD><TD class=cCell>STRAIGHT BET</TD><TD class=dCell>Risking: </TD><TD class=eCell>To Win: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=sTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fCell>09/06/2008 @ 12:30 PM </TD><TD class=sCell>[337] CENTRAL MICHIGA +23-110 - CFB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=fTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aCell>Ticket # 44019948</TD><TD class=bCell>Placed: ONLINE-1 on: 08/31/2008 @ 03:15 PM </TD><TD class=cCell>STRAIGHT BET</TD><TD class=dCell>Risking: </TD><TD class=eCell>To Win: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=sTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fCell>09/06/2008 @ 12:30 PM </TD><TD class=sCell>[342] WYOMING -3-110 - CFB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=fTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aCell>Ticket # 44020002</TD><TD class=bCell>Placed: ONLINE-1 on: 08/31/2008 @ 03:16 PM </TD><TD class=cCell>STRAIGHT BET</TD><TD class=dCell>Risking: </TD><TD class=eCell>To Win: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=sTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fCell>09/06/2008 @ 03:30 PM </TD><TD class=sCell>[357] CALIFORNIA -11½-110 - CFB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=fTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=aCell>Ticket # 44020023</TD><TD class=bCell>Placed: ONLINE-1 on: 08/31/2008 @ 03:17 PM </TD><TD class=cCell>STRAIGHT BET</TD><TD class=dCell>Risking: </TD><TD class=eCell>To Win: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=sTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fCell>09/06/2008 @ 04:00 PM </TD><TD class=sCell>[360] WESTERN MICHIGA -6½-110 - CFB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

last time i ever do this but think that my integrity ( and the integrity of other quality cappers and contributors ) was indirectly called into question regarding numbers that i ( we ) get at open. so thought i would post this. all bets were made at cris. i will never ever do this again and quite frankly it pisses me off that someone has the nerve to claim that others are liars for no reason at all. Personally i want to read carolinablue , dmoney , rsmss , fondybadger , rj , bar etc etc etc every week because they provide invaluable information. If people want to bash them for no reason and make unfounded accusations and risk losing that information , i just don't know what to say. I personally will not put up with that kind of bullshit. The reason i spend my time on this forum is because other forums are full of bashers and negative nancy's and thsi forum we share information to help eachother make money. As i stated in my very first post to start college football , disagree with my analysis ( was off a little on idaho cough cough ) and post your reasons why and we will discuss. But bashing and false accusations are for douchebags and i want no part of it again. This didn't actually happen within the confines of my thread but i refuse to be spat on without clearing the air.

So that's it for me. Anyone who wants to question my integrity can just stay away from my threads. I removed the betting amounts for my own personal privacy.

Ok some quick thoughts on the games I played this week. Going to keep these to blurb type levels and just answer any questions about the game that people want to discuss.

Northwestern -6.5 -- I believe strongly that this game will be -7 or higher by kickoff and strongly recommend playing it sooner rather than later if you indeed like the play. There are several things that I want to touch on. The first is the spot. Last year , duke went into northwestern and beat the wildcats in what a lot of people referred to as the “brain bowl”. They won that game 20-14 as 16.5 point underdogs. The score is deceiving of course. Northwwestern had advantages in just about every category. First downs were nw 25-15 , rushing yards were nw 138-63 , passing yards were nw 368 - 246. The loss hurt on a lot of levels and consider that nw finished 6-6 last year and did not go to a bowl game … the duke lost cost them a bowl game. Northwestern has this game circled. How often does duke get the focused attack from an opponent ? Not often ,,, they are normally the meat of a sandwich and that is when they tend to have value. Not the case here. Southern Illinois is nw next opponent. There is every indication that nw should be up for this game. I watched a good portion of the nw/cuse game as I had an under bet going ( yay ) and they really began finding their rhythm in the second half of that game. I think they come ready and in better form. Don’t worry too much about the home field edge here for duke. It simply does not exist. They have now lost 17 consecutive home games to fbs opponents, 14 by a td or more. Northwestern outplayed duke last year and got the loss ,,,,, they don’t let up here and give duke the chance for another undeserved win. Duke does return a lot of guys this year and should be an improved team. I like Thaddeus lewis a little bit but Riley is the only returning wr with more than 15 catches. I would actually be shocked to see northwestern lose outright , so laying under a score seems more than fair to me. By power rating this game is not far off from the line I bet … but the spot is a huge angle here.

Georgia tech +7.5 -- Was the game that I knew I was probably going to be betting before lines came out as I expected it to be in that 7.5 - 8.5 area and knew I would be on GT on anything over a touchdown. Johnson is one of the best coaches in the nation and I feel good backing him at over a td. I watched a good portion of the bc-kentst game and it confirmed my original outlook on the eagles. They are slow offensively. They have no big play capability and do not generate great push with the offensive line. A look at the box score confirms what my eyes were telling me. Boston college had 336 total yards of offense against kent st……. not good. They had 17 first downs against kent st. Not good. In the kent st game boston college did not have a single pass play go for over twenty yards and had just one rushing play that went for over twenty yards. Not good. They held the kent st offense to just 12 first downs and benefited from a plus 3 in turnovers and still managed just 21 points. The vaunted rush defense that yielded just 76 a game last year gave up 126 to kent st in the opener. So that question has been answered … they will be much weaker vs. the run this year. And they will see a lot of running from the gt option attack. And here is the thing … I cant find where boston college has faced the option before. The closest thing they have seen to it is the wake forest misdirection game , which they have defended well , but it is nothing really like the option attack gt will use. Tick tock tick tock. I love the DT for georgia tech and the level of defensive recruit that they have in the pipe at Gt is pretty nice right now. The yellow jackets are vulnerable to the pass with an inexperienced secondary but I don’t think BC has the qb and wr to exploit that and I don’t think they can power run against the GT tackles . Gt ran the ball 46 out of 61 plays last week and look for similar here. I have what looks like a game devoid of huge plays , two teams that like to grind it out , and gt being the team least likely to commit turnovers due to run/pass ratio. So the game should be low scoring and there should never be a point where I feel out of the game. Matt Ryan covered a lot of holes on this team. I watched that guy use pinpoint accuracy to complete balls to guys that were not very open. He had a full grasp of the offense.. Those passes moved the chains and rested the defense. That is one of the major contributing factors to their run defense last year. There are going to be a lot more three and outs and short drives this year and that will wear on the bc defense at some point , in some game. If that happens against gt , bc is in trouble because the option wears you out. I think these teams are fairly even and wouldn’t be shocked to see GT win straight up., but definitely feel that they keep it within the number.

Miami Florida +21 -- might be getting the worst of this number by kickoff but I think late money might come in on miamifl if the weather from the hurricanes/tropical storms hit the area and the game gets rain. Florida is overrated. I overrated them and trust me …. You have them overrated too. They sputtered on offense against Hawaii until the warriors quit after some tough luck last week. Florida is really banged up and it shows. Miami looks to be improved to me in the running game despite losing 3 starters on the oline. The coaches son transferred in from fiu and will play center and he brings 29 starts to the position with him. They return both tackles and that leaves the question at guard …… but the two new guys playing at the guard position weigh in at 345 pounds each !!!! So they should have decent push and miamifl is loaded at running back. The concern with the miamifl side will be qb and wr…. Which is usually the way to exploit the gators defense. Should still have some success here as the warriors were able to get guys open but dropped passes and eventually happy feet and blown confidence from warriors qb bailed them out. I was talking with another capper on the phone the other day and he made the great point that miami florida has the athletes to defend the spread. He is right … there is speed all over the field for the hurricanes. And that speed is the best way to defend the florida attack. Think there are a lot of things going here for a miami play. We have instate rivalry , a good chance of catching some bad weather, a solid running game , athletes to defend the spread , an unhealthy florida team ( they get harvin back and spikes back but how close to 100 percent will they be ? ) and an underrated opponent getting three td vs. an overrated oppenent. I think this one is lower scoring than people think and that miamifl keeps it close enough for the cover. Florida by 14-17 points.

Central Michigan +23-- another game where I might have bet too early. What I see here is central Michigan having the ability to move the ball on georgia. Dan lefevour wont be intimidated by anything in this game. He is one of the best kept secrets in cfb at this point. He can do it with his legs and his arm and his favorite target bryan Anderson returns for him to throw to. The chippewas had two 1k receivers alst year. They have a stud rb in Hoskins who was originally a notre dame guy and the other runner is Ontario sneed who is pretty high quality as well. The line returns almost intact and looks to be solid. That is a lot of returning talent ,,, and good talent on the offensive side of the ball. This team scored at least 34 points in 8 of their last 9 games and knows how to get it done. Georgia has struggled at times defending spread offenses. And I liken this game to the one vs. troy last year that georgia won 44-34. Obviously there are concerns about how c mich is going to stop georgia in this one. As the chippewas gave up 460 yards a game last year and even more against elite teams like what georgia is. … over 500 to Kansas , over 500 to purdue ( twice ) and over 600 to Clemson. So that is the big elephant in the room here. But the chippewas do return a ton of experience this year on defense.. Can they stop georgia ? I don’t think so .. But I just want them to slow them down. This is another game where bad weather may come into play and while I prefer nice weather for cmich to efficiently run their brand of offense and fear the power rush game of georgia quite a bit ….. Four scores and a thunderstorm are usually a good combo. Also wanted to mention tht georgia has a major lookahead to a revenge game at south carolina the following week.

Wyoming -3 -- This was the easiest bet on the board for me to make. I am actually a little bit shocked that this game still stis at -3 as I had it power rated considerably higher. I think this is an overreaction to how poorly Wyoming played week 1. I suppose there are a lot of people who bet Wyoming and got burned as the game got steamed last week. It is a lot harder for people to jump back on a team like Wyoming when they under perform than it is when a top 25 team underperforms. In any event , we get a great number here. As poorly as Wyoming played , and they did play poorly … they did the one thing you always need when you play air force … and that is stop the run. And if you examine last years game it lines up similarly to the ohio game …. Wyoming went into air force and had a 23 -18 first down advantage , a 404 to 330 yardage advantage , but was -4 in turnovers and lost by 8 points. Air force loses basically everyone on offense and most importantly carney who was the heart and soul of this team. WITH CARNEY this team threw for just 120 a game last year because they rely on the run. But rush defense should be the one consistent aspect to this Wyoming team all year. Air force ahs a bunch of small 270-280 pounders up front and I just don’t see them getting the push they will need here. Without the running game and relying on untested qb , I don’t think they can exploit what looked like a Wyoming weakness in the secondary. But it gets worse for the falcons. They also lose most of their defense from last year. Their defensive line weighs about 35 pounds less than the Wyoming o-line on average and that is going to hurt them. The two CB are basically first year starters as well. I love coach Calhoun and what he did with air force talent last year was nothing short of amazing. But this Wyoming team as it is built basically beat the 9-4 version of air force last year in defeat and now get to face a much much weaker air force club but at home this time , with revenge , a home field and a unproven qb. Stop the run and win the game and they are setup to do just that defensively.. Favorite game since UTEP ml … hope it works out better.

California -11.5 --I was impressed by CAL against Michigan state and watched okie st dominate the cougars. I am definitely concerned that I may be over reacting to one week of play in regards to this game but I don’t see how wash st defends cal attack. Will get into this game in more detail later but I think it will be on a lot of cards so you should find some good info on it. There is a chance I play back on this game and go for a middle if it rises enough.. I like the play but a middle might be more valuable in the long run.

W Michigan -6.5 -- western Michigan was my highest rated mac team ehading into this year. In my opinion they have by far the best defense on paper. I love Hiller at qb . I made this line much larger so I feel I have value as well. The line sits -6 now and I think it is mostly due to Nebraska success against w mich. But the thing is .. Nebraska was doing that to a lot of teams last year and the defense improved with pelini. Now when w mich played northern illy last year , northern Illinois was pretty banged up but they managed just 12 first downs at home against w Michigan. And the broncos return 9/10 guys to that defense this year. Threw for over 300 against Nebraska mostly because they were behind and couldn’t run at all but no reason why hiller cant torch a northen Illinois defense that gave up 298 in the air to Minnesota. Now I think northern Illinois is a little better this year but when you only rush for 2.3 a carry against Minnesota in a dome , you have to be concerned about what you are going to be able to do against western Michigan on the ground in kalamazoo . I struggle historically with mac conference games but I am willing to take my shot with my preseason pick to win the conference at home laying less than a td.

Last edited:
Kyle
Great Thread,on NW with you. Curious to hear your thoughts on Notre Dame game.

Back