2008 Bowl Thoughts

December 21, 2008

Auguste Out
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Practice quick kick: Auguste out
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Practice quick kick: Auguste out "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Practice quick kick: Auguste out"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
David Cloninger
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

South Carolina's getting thin at defensive back.

Coach Steve Spurrier announced after Sunday's practice that freshman Akeem Auguste will not play in the Outback Bowl because of a hamstring injury. Auguste has been sent home to recover -- the injury could take 4-6 weeks to completely heal.

In other news, Lemuel Jeanpierre practiced in a normal jersey instead of the yellow shirt he's worn for the past month.

Stay tuned to GamecockCentral.com for a complete recap.

----Secondary is THINNNNNNNN

Awesome .. they are thin in the secondary AND changing defensive schemes ??

good news.

Great second half bet on wake the other day btw , ETG

Keep the info coming ..

Awesome .. they are thin in the secondary AND changing defensive schemes ??

good news.

Great second half bet on wake the other day btw , ETG

Keep the info coming ..

Thanks Kyle,

They have to change the defense, the 4-2-5 won't work here, not with Cook gone. I don't think its that big of a change though (scheme wise). Brinkley will be MLB, his natural position. Sapp-Norwood are both OLB's and they've played that all year really. SC's 4-2-5 was basically a 4-3 but the Spur position was a Safety instead of a LB for more speed. The secondary is thin though.

With you on TCU, Wake, & Troy...three of my biggest plays. Also on USC.

Against you on none, though I'm leaning to Oklahoma.

GL as always bud!

:cheers:

December 21, 2008

Spurrier: Garcia Should be More Like Tebow

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("Spurrier: Garcia Should Be More Like Tebow
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Spurrier: Garcia Should Be More Like Tebow "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Spurrier: Garcia Should Be More Like Tebow"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Scott Hood
GamecockCentral.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Insiders Forum

Steve Spurrier says redshirt freshman Stephen Garcia will move closer to becoming an elite college quarterback when he starts thinking like Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

Tebow, whom Gators head coach Urban Meyer described as one of the best leaders he's ever seen, has vowed repeatedly that no one will outwork him when it comes to preparation.

Spurrier hopes Garcia, named the starting quarterback for the Jan. 1 Outback Bowl within 24 hours after the Clemson loss, adopts the same approach while acknowledging his keen physical skills.

"Stephen Garcia is throwing the ball very well right now," Spurrier said Sunday afternoon after a 90-minute workout on the turf at Williams-Brice Stadium. "He's got to take it to the ball park. Our pass protection has to be good. If those things happen and he can take his steps and throw it, I think we can hit some."

Sunday's workout was the seventh of eight scheduled for Columbia prior to the Chriustmas break.

Garcia didn't take a snap against Clemson after rotating seemingly every snap with current backup Chris Smelley in the contests against Arkansas and Florida. Garcia finished his first season in a USC uniform with a 53.8 completion percentage (56-104) and 753 passing yards for six touchdowns and five interceptions.

Spurrier said Garcia' throwing motion was "getting better," adding he's never had a quarterback he didn't have to "tinker a little bit" with their throwing motion.

"I hope he's learning that he needed to learn," Spurrier said. "There is so much he needs to know. He's getting better. But we just need him to get that Tim Tebow attitude. Ask him if he's working harder than anybody."

Garcia will direct the USC offense against Iowa at Raymond James Stadium about three or four miles from where he grew up and attended Jefferson High School. Obviously, Spurrier expects he'll be ready to play in front of hundreds of family and friends.

"Obviously, he should be a little up for (the game)," Spurrier said. "He should be as up as he can be to be starting a bowl game as a redshirt freshman. Not many quarterbacks get a chance to do that. We're just trying to get him to learn his plays better. He knows them decently, but not as well as he should be. I'd like for him to have that Tim Tebow attitude of 'nobody is going to work as hard as I am.'

"When Stephen Garcia says that, you all can pat me on the shoulder. He has to learn how to work at it himself. He does have a lot of ability to throw the ball. So, if we can get his commitment level to a very high level up there, I think he can really be an outstanding player for South Carolina."

While Garcia will be front and center during the Outback Bowl, freshman defensive back Akeem Auguste won't. Still hobbled by a severe hamstring injury that sidelined him for most of the Florida and Clemson games, Auguste has returned to his Hollywood, Fla. home.

Spurrier expects the talented freshman, who was a major contributor on special teams this season and finished with 18 tackles and four pass breakups, will be out four to six weeks.

"I don't think he needs surgery. He just needs to rest it like Kenny (McKinley) did," Spurrier said. "He tried to come back too early and he kept hurting it. So he's gone."

Sunday represented the first time USC had practiced on that day since early in the season when they opened the year with back-to-back Thursday night games against N.C. State and Vanderbilt.

"We had a decent little practice today," Spurrier said. "We had a church service this morning. We're ready to go watch NFL football the rest of the day."

Responding to Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin's challenge to compare scores on the NCAA test that all coaches must take in order to start recruiting, Spurrier said, "I've always passed it. I know he's smarter than me, there's no question about that. I barely graduated from college. I know I'm not the smartest dude out there. It's no big deal."

Kiffin's comments came three weeks after Spurrier questioned whether Tennessee's new head coach had improperly contacted recruits on behalf of the Vols prior to taking the test.

USC's first practice in Tampa is scheduled for Dec. 27. The final pieces of the game plan will be inserted at that point.

"We'll go down there and have good practices," Spurrier said. "It will be like a normal week of practice down there. We've had good practices."

USC will practice one more time Monday at 10:15 a.m. before scattering for the Christmas holiday. The Gamecocks are scheduled to arrive in Tampa on Dec. 26 about 1:30 p.m.

Bowl gifts include video camcorders. Each player will receive bowl rings, as well.

"I think the guys are anxious to get their bowl gifts (Monday) morning and they're anxious to get home for Christmas and then anxious to get down there and play the ball game," Spurrier said. "Again, we're going to try our best to represent our school in a very positive way. We'll see if we can.

BRINKLEY LIKES THREE LINEBACKER LOOK: Since Iowa is a straight ahead power running team, the Outback Bowl will allow USC to utilize a 4-3 defense with three linebackers rather than the 4-2-5 alignment they've used most of the season. Middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley likes the change.

"I think it's going to help us, having the three linebackers," Brinkley said. "Instead of two big linebackers, we've got three of them. I feel it's going to be a physical game and we need physical guys in there."

Brinkley favors the new look because it means he's responsible for patrolling the area of the field where he's most comfortable – the middle. Under the new scheme, USC will eliminate the spur linebacker spot and insert Marvin Sapp, USC's third leading tackler, into the lineup.

"All we're doing is moving the safety back to safety and bringing a linebacker in. I'll have the same responsibilities. I'll just play more in the middle."

Brinkley realizes the front seven of the USC defense will have its hands full trying to contain an Iowa offense that relies upon a strong offensive line and All-American running back Shonn Greene, who averaged 144.1 yards rushing per game during the regular season.

"With him being the nation's leading rusher, it really presents a tough challenge because he has a combination of speed and power that I haven't seen in a back in a long time. It's going to present a unique challenge tackling him and getting him on the ground. He'll definitely be one of the best backs we've faced this year."

Brinkley, who favorably compared Greene to Marion Barber of the Dallas Cowboys, will play his final college football game in Tampa. After that, he'll start preparing for the 2009 NFL Draft. Hence, he knows a lot of scouts will be watching him closely in the Outback Bowl when he takes on Greene.

"This definitely present a big opportunity (for myself)," Brinkley said. "(Greene) is one of the best backs in the country. I think a lot of teams want to see what I can do. I'm going to try to go in and have a good game and wrap up on him and try not to miss any tackles."

GARRETT ANDERSON READY FOR CHALLENGE: Is there any Gamecock player with a bigger Outback Bowl challenge than center Garrett Anderson? Although he's get some help from the guards, he'll be the one mainly responsible for handling All-Big 10 defensive tackles Mitch King and Matt Kroul.

"I came here to play against the best and now I'm going to play the best in the Big Ten," Anderson said. "The guy next to King (Kroul) is almost as good as King. He's very talented. They play well with their hands. They're not as big as the guys in the SEC, they are around 280lbs, but they are quick and they still play very hard and physical."

Anderson says he's learned watching film that King and Kroul play with all-out effort for 60 minutes.

"Again, they're not as big as the SEC guys, but they play so much harder it makes up for the lack of size," Anderson said. "They play hard every snap. They never take a snap off and they play the entire game. They are quick and really good with their hands. It's a great opportunity. I've been working hard out here every day."

After finishing the regular season with losses to Florida and Clemson, Anderson said the Gamecocks are back on track mentally and appear ready to play an Iowa team that lost four games by 12 points this season.

"We're excited we're in the Outback. It's a huge bowl," Anderson said. "The last few times we were there we beat very good teams. We're playing a great team from the Big Ten. We're just excited we're in a good bowl and not staying home despite the last 2 losses. We are a lot better than 7-5. We worked so hard in the off season we should be much better than that. We owe it to the seniors to play hard for a win."

Unlike most of their games in the regular season when they usually kicked off at 7 p.m. or later, USC must get adjusted to an early start time – 11 a.m. Anderson likes the early wake-up call.

"I don't have to sit around all day and over-analyze," Anderson said. "Offensive linemen are usually smart guys, so we would be more susceptible to over analyzing what we need to do and be nervous wrecks by the time a late game rolls around. This is much better."

NOTES:

-- The five college football prognosticators at cbssports.com unanimously predict Iowa will win the Outback Bowl over USC. Here's what chief college football writer Dennis Dodd had to say on a video previewing the bowl game:

-- Four of the five writers at collegefootballnews.com predict Iowa will win. The only writer who foresees USC prevailing is Pete Fiutak.

-- Spencer Lanning participated in practice for the second straight day after missing Friday's workout while he assisted USC's compliance office in working on his appeal from a NCAA ruling making him ineligible for the Outback Bowl.

-- Wide receiver Matt Clements wore a yellow jersey on Sunday and worked with the second team offense.

-- Offensive lineman Lemuel Jeanpierre wore a garnet jersey during Sunday's workout, a sign that he may be able to play in the Outback Bowl after missing the final four games of the season with a knee injury. "He's pushing and shoving a little bit. He'll dress out. He's about 100 percent."

-- Spurrier said freshman WR Jason Barnes has done well during bowl practice. He had four receptions in the last four games. The head coach blamed the inability of the quarterbacks to get the ball to him for his lack of production.

Ehh on the start to bowl season so far but plenty more to go. Had ND but never posted, won't count it.

UF-3 (2.2/2)
SoCal-10 (2.2/2)

TCU-1.5 (2.2/2)
Troy-4 (2.2/2)

RU/NCST O 51 (2.2/2)
Oky St-4 (2.2/2)
GT - 4 (2.2/2)
Wake -3 (2.2/2)
Zona -3 (2.2/2)

UF to win NC (2 to win 16)

Just going to combine my thoughts here from the other thread.

CMU -6 (2.4/2)

FAU versus Legit Dual Threat QBs:

Colt McCoy: 12rush-103-1td
Joe Webb: 18-66
Jaime Hampton: 16-61-2td
Kinsmon Lancanster: 14-86
Corey Leonard: 14-33

LeFevour was banged up from the Temple game to basically the end of the season. He has had a month off to get healthy which is huge. I expect he carries the ball 15+ times, half probably designed runs, the other half just making plays with his feet.

In games LeFevour has rushed 15+ times he has:

45 vs. Ohio w/ 1td
112 vs. Purdue w/ 1td
100 vs. Buffalo w/ 1td
121 vs. NIU w/ 2td
75 vs. Ball St

I think with the way FAU plays defense, LeFevour is good for 15-105-1td. As a team CMU is going to rush for over 200 yards. You add in another 225-250yards with LeFevour through the air and your looking at 450+ offensive yards from CMU. I don't think FAU is going to be able to match the offensive production in this game. I hated on CMU's pass defense all yr and I know FAU is going to chuck it around a little bit here, I just think LeFevours ability to keep a play alive with his feet is going to be a backbreaker for the FAU defense. CMU still has a very decent RB on the field with Ontario Sneed and they also have Antonio Brown who is dangerous whenever the ball is in his hands.

I don't know how anyone can slam CMU's schedule when their opponent is FAU.

CMU has wins over: Ohio, Buffalo, Temple, WMich, Toledo, Indiana, and NIU.

Meanwhile, FAU's best win this season? Over a 6-6 ULL? UAB finished 4-8, UL Monroe finished 4-8, WKU was 2-10, North Texas was 1-11, FIU was 5-7. Their 6 wins came against opponents with a combined record of 22-50. Reread again, Thats awful and shouldn't even get you a bowl

Thats not even close in comparison of schedules.

The Sunbelt, outside of Troy, is a minor league conference.

I actually like CMU ending the year with a terrible loss to EMU as far as motivation goes coming into this bowl game.

Rusty Smith's turnovers are going to be crucial here. LeFevour does not turn the ball over. Usually MAC teams are not that fast but CMU has some good speed and they should be able to cope with the Florida speed. Then you add in the special teams advantage and playing this game in Michigan and I think its going to be a dominating 17+ point win for CMU. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Ehh on the start to bowl season so far but plenty more to go. Had ND but never posted, won't count it.

UF-3 (2.2/2)
SoCal-10 (2.2/2)
TCU-1.5 (2.2/2)
Troy-4 (2.2/2)
RU/NCST O 51 (2.2/2)
Oky St-4 (2.2/2)
GT - 4 (2.2/2)
Wake -3 (2.2/2)
Zona -3 (2.2/2)

UF to win NC (2 to win 16)

Just going to combine my thoughts here from the other thread.

CMU -6 (2.4/2)

FAU versus Legit Dual Threat QBs:

Colt McCoy: 12rush-103-1td
Joe Webb: 18-66
Jaime Hampton: 16-61-2td
Kinsmon Lancanster: 14-86
Corey Leonard: 14-33

LeFevour was banged up from the Temple game to basically the end of the season. He has had a month off to get healthy which is huge. I expect he carries the ball 15+ times, half probably designed runs, the other half just making plays with his feet.

In games LeFevour has rushed 15+ times he has:

45 vs. Ohio w/ 1td
112 vs. Purdue w/ 1td
100 vs. Buffalo w/ 1td
121 vs. NIU w/ 2td
75 vs. Ball St

I think with the way FAU plays defense, LeFevour is good for 15-105-1td. As a team CMU is going to rush for over 200 yards. You add in another 225-250yards with LeFevour through the air and your looking at 450+ offensive yards from CMU. I don't think FAU is going to be able to match the offensive production in this game. I hated on CMU's pass defense all yr and I know FAU is going to chuck it around a little bit here, I just think LeFevours ability to keep a play alive with his feet is going to be a backbreaker for the FAU defense. CMU still has a very decent RB on the field with Ontario Sneed and they also have Antonio Brown who is dangerous whenever the ball is in his hands.

I don't know how anyone can slam CMU's schedule when their opponent is FAU.

CMU has wins over: Ohio, Buffalo, Temple, WMich, Toledo, Indiana, and NIU.

Meanwhile, FAU's best win this season? Over a 6-6 ULL? UAB finished 4-8, UL Monroe finished 4-8, WKU was 2-10, North Texas was 1-11, FIU was 5-7. Their 6 wins came against opponents with a combined record of 22-50. Reread again, Thats awful and shouldn't even get you a bowl

Thats not even close in comparison of schedules.

The Sunbelt, outside of Troy, is a minor league conference.

I actually like CMU ending the year with a terrible loss to EMU as far as motivation goes coming into this bowl game.

Rusty Smith's turnovers are going to be crucial here. LeFevour does not turn the ball over. Usually MAC teams are not that fast but CMU has some good speed and they should be able to cope with the Florida speed. Then you add in the special teams advantage and playing this game in Michigan and I think its going to be a dominating 17+ point win for CMU. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I think a good portion of the current line is based on the difference at QB.

GL ETG.

I think a good portion of the current line is based on the difference at QB.

GL ETG.

Thanks Kyle.

I see my advantages as:
  • Having the game in Michigan
  • Having the better offense, which includes, Better QB-Better Passing game, and scoring offense. The rush offenses might be about equal on paper as far as stats go, although I'd argue that LeFevour's versatility with his feet gives CMU an edge along with CMU having more talent at RB.
  • Clearly the better rush defense
  • Clearly the better Special Teams
  • Better turnover margin
  • Clearly the better SOS
I see FAU has the following advantages:
  • Better Pass defense
  • Maybe an advantage in overall team speed but I don't think its much here.
Coaching could be considered a wash here. Motivation wise, I give the edge to CMU but not enough to include it in the points above. Like I said before, I like CMU to roll to a convincing win here.

really like gt...great thread as always etg. and it's great to debate with ya. after tonight and aside from florida and usc i hope you have a profitable bowl season

FINALLY had some time to get this shit updated

Favorites: 24-24
Dogs: 17-7
Totals: 3-3
ML Parlay: 1-1
Overall: 45-35 +16.67units
SouthCar: 4-1

Wk 13:

BALLS -6 (2.2 to win 2)
Miami +3.5 (2.2 to win 2)

BUFFALO +4 (2.2 to win 2)
NCST +11 (2.2 to win 2)
Ole Miss +3.5 (2.2 to win 2)
ClemSUX-2.5 (2.2 to win 2)
BYU +7 (2.2 to win 2)
Akron -2 (2.2 to win 2)

Wk 14:

SoCar +1.5 (3.3/3)
GT +9 (2.2/2)

NCST +1.5 (2.2/2)
Arky St-21 (2.2/2)
Rice +3 (2.2/2)
Maryland Under 41.5 (2.2/2)

Regular Season Final Tally:

Favorites: 26-26
Dogs: 23-10
Totals: 3-4
ML Parlay: 1-1
Overall: 53-41 +18.37units
SouthCar: 4-2

"It's disappointing that he did not think of his teammates or his university," Spurrier said. "It's not hard to pass six hours.

"He did not put much effort in, it appears."

That's why I love Spurrier.

Back