2007 Fantasy Football Sleepers, Busts, and Favorite Players

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
I figure we can start the Fantasy discussions with the most fun stuff: predicting player performances for this season! List a few sleepers, busts, and then a few of your favorite players who you like to have a huge season.

Sleepers:

QB Jon Kitna

Calvin Johnson paired with Roy Williams might give the Lions the best WR tandem in the league. Mike Furrey had a bust out 06 season, and he will be a nice fit in the slot. Tatum Bell has been added to push Kevin Jones at RB. Along with the aggressive Mike Martz calling the shots, Kitna should have plenty of chances in this offense. He is a great #2 QB for a team who misses out on the big 6 QB's this year. Kitna could emerge as a #1 QB.

RB Travis Henry

Henry has late 1st round or even early 2nd round projections. In just 13 starts last year, Henry had over 1,200 yards and 7 TD's with the Titans. He also had huge years in 02 and 03 with the Bills. Putting him in the Broncos system should mean Henry is in for a rock solid year if he stays healthy. He's a steal as a #2 RB. He could be a top 5 back by season's end.

WR Drew Bennett

Bennett is now on the Rams. He should be a go to guy for Bulger in the redzone when Holt sees most of the coverage. Bruce is getting older (35 in November), and Bennett could emerge as the true #2 WR by mid-season. Bennett had a huge year for the Titans in 04'. I think he could get to 900 and 6 TDs this year, which is solid for a #2 WR. Luckily, Bennett can be had VERY LATE in drafts (and may even go un-drafted), especially in leagues with novice players.

Busts:

Shaun Alexander

Alexander turns the infamous 30 in late August. He is coming off a 10 game season in 06 due to injury. Seattle also lost a key player in the passing game in Darrell Jackson. Aside from Branch, Seattle has question marks in the passing game. Teams might be able to stack up against the run against Seattle. Add in Alexander's age and past injury, and he suddenly becomes a risk with a high pick. He could disappoint a lot of owners who spend a 3,4, or 5 pick on him.

Steve Smith

Delhomme is coming off a miserable 06 season. The Panthers added David Carr in the offseason (another questionable QB). Deshaun Foster has been plagued by injuries, and Deangelo Williams struggled in 06. Keyshawn is gone, so can the young Panther WR's take enough pressure off Smith in 07? A lot of question marks for this offense...Too many for me to pick Smith over the likes of Wayne, Harrison, and Owens.

Vince Young

I see this guy drafted fairly high in mocks. I would grab him as a #2 QB at best. The Titans got rid of their best offensive player last season in Henry. They have done zero in the offseason to help Young. The Titans will rely heavily on young players in 07, which spells disaster for a young QB.

My Favorites:

Marc Bulger

I will try my hardest to get this guy as my #1 QB in all my leagues. The additions of Bennett and Randy McMichael puts this offense right up there with the Colts. Stephen Jackson is coming off a career year, and his best days are ahead of him. Bulger is only 30, and he should be available at a bargain draft position. Most fantasy players likely will select 5 QBs before Bulger. He might approach 30 TDs this year and finish 2nd behind Manning.

Willis McGahee

I love RBs with chips on their shoulder. I enjoyed this situation 2 years ago when Larry Johnson finally took over in KC to rush for a career year. McGahee, just 25, has a lot to prove. He enters a great system in Baltimore that will give him plenty of opportunity. McGahee has only missed 3 total starts in the past 2 years, so injury concerns aren't as big as most think. McGahee had 13 TDs in just 11 games with a bad Buffalo team in 04. He should get 300 carries this season in a very run-friendly offense. I'm seeing McGahee going late in the 1st round, and even early 2nd round. I think he could land in the top 5 by year's end.

Javon Walker

Walker didn't miss a game in 06 proving he is fully healthy. He had a monster year in 06. Cutler will enter his first full season as a starter, with solid experience under his belt. The addition of Henry will give the offense balance. Walker is the true #1 in Denver, and with Cutler's gun, expect some big plays from him this season. I pencil in 1,200 and 10 for Walker who might not even be one of the top 10 WR's drafted.

larry fitz and a-bold are the top wr duo in the league imo.

agree with most everything else.

Is CTG gonna set up some leauges here? That would be great.

I'd be up for that.

I am sure there would be an abundant of people, too many for a conventional league, do something where we have a payroll and chose players that have salaries, but we have to stay under the cap. Some will have several players on the team they are playing.

I have seen this done with college football teams.

Not sure about Javon Walker. Denver's offense lately,esp passing offense, hasn't really been consistent enough for me to take J-Walk as a number one receiver, despite the fact that I do really like him. I'm also not sure about Steve Smith...take away his injuries last year, and he still had a great year.

Obviously Harrison is the safebet and the class of the WRs, but I might put Smith 2 there...

Not sure about Javon Walker. Denver's offense lately,esp passing offense, hasn't really been consistent enough for me to take J-Walk as a number one receiver, despite the fact that I do really like him. I'm also not sure about Steve Smith...take away his injuries last year, and he still had a great year.

Obviously Harrison is the safebet and the class of the WRs, but I might put Smith 2 there...

Walker had a real nice year last year half of which his QB was Fake Plummer. I really like Walker this year because he will be Cutler's safety guy. And Cutler can really get the ball down the field. The Denver offense is going to be really good this year.

As for Smith, I don't think he'll have a terrible year. But I think he might disappoint some who took him early as their #1. I think Delhomme is a fraud. I was also tired of seeing the typical fantasy duds list online that list guys like Morency, Grossman, and Frye as busts for the year. I wanted to point out some of the not-so-obvious guys that could disappoint owners this year.

someone that i have been eyeing has been RB deangelo williams from carolina and QB Jay Cutler

I like Cutler this year. And he's someone I will grab if I miss out on one of the big 6 QB's. If I miss out on them, I definitely want 2 stable Qb's. Some combination involving Rivers, Homo, Cutler, Kitna, and/or Hasselbeck.

As for Williams, I'm not so high on him. I don't think Carolina will be very good this year, and I don't like his RBBC situation with Foster.

what i like about williams is his shiftyness running style and i think foster is on his way down. i agree that carolina will have a down year but i do think that williams will get his.

Betting on a game, watching it live is a lot more fun than jerking off to some fantasy football team with a bunch of deuch bag coworkers who don't know shit about football.

Back