2007-08 CFB Bowl Picks and News

What about WV with no coach? Is that not a distraction of the first kind?

it is a huge one, but imo it is overshadowing every aspect of this game. Personel wise this team will be there 100%, they have leadership and can rally around each other. Their new interim coach is not new to the game, and with the skill they have on that team there is no way they should be more then a TD underdog. The other thing I like is that it was a big distraction, but it happened a couple weeks ago. When you have guys that you are counting on playing, starting even and then remove them in the last week + that really hurts a team as well.

I kinda like the over as well, but not taking that. goodluck tonight.

Fox Does Not Mix With College Football

Okay, Fox, if you're going to air the BCS, the least you could do is show some actual games during the regular season. Please.

Let me be the first to say that the coverage of the BCS is brutal. Fran Tarkenton? Fran.......Tarkenton. He had a parted mullett-tupee look going on. Chris Rose hosts possibly the Worst Damn Sports Show Period. If that's the best FSN can do is that show....

And Pat Summerall. Please, retire. Such a legend shouldn't be forced to go through this. Pat was brutal yesterday calling the Cotton Bowl. Just absolutely brutal. He had to say "Sorry" or "I beg your pardon" every other word. There's a reason Keith Jackson retired and that's because he was getting too old for the gig. I loved listening to Keith Jackson, but there came a time when he wasn't at the top of his game and he ended his career with the 2006 Rose Bowl. But Summerall needs to call it quits. I understand that he's a former Arkansas kicker, but come on. I was watching the 2007 Cotton Bowl between Nebraska and Auburn and when the Tigers took the field, Sumerall said, with all of the excitement he could muster, "Here's Auburn........they're terrific."

Brian Baldinger was almost as bad. If a guy spends all year covering the NFL, he probably won't be ready to do the college game. If you want to talk about unprepared, Baldinger fit what you were looking for. He had no clue about any of the players. Most of the people watching understand the differences between college football and NFL. Baldinger compared this and that to how the NFL does it. The Cotton Bowl was brutal.

The production of the Sugar Bowl was decent enough for me. Charles Davis is okay, but he's a lot better than some of the ESPN guys like David Norrie, Andre Ware, or Bob Davie.

Sheesh. Anyway, I'll be handing out report cards for all of the broadcasts at the end of the season. Stay tuned.

not too much on this game, I have been completely set on the side twice, and now am laying off, but love the under. here are the notes I got tonight, not much but some good info and somewhat of a summary of what has already been posted in this thread on this game. goodluck yourself, forget what your taking or if your playing, will have to check in a sec.

Kansas vs. Virginia Tech 1/3 8pm
Virginia Tech -3.5
Virginia Tech 66.3
Notes
-VT [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]BCS record*: 1-4, Vs. BCS Top 25: 2-2[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-Kan BCS record*: 0-0, Vs. BCS Top 25: 0-1[/FONT]
-This is Kansas’ 3<SUP goog_docs_charIndex="222">rd</SUP> bowl in 5 years but only their first game after x-mas since 1981 and after new Years since 1968
-[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Kansas is at the bottom of the big 10 in terms of travel and the Jayhawks got fat this season on a diet of Central Michigan, Southeastern Louisiana, Toledo and Florida International, all at home. In fact, Kansas didn't have to leave the state for a game until Oct. 20[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-Virginia Tech will be without the services of leading rusher Branden Ore for at least the first 15 minutes of next Thursday's meeting with Kansas in the 74th Orange Bowl.[/FONT]
-Kansas played a very easy schedule (108<SUP goog_docs_charIndex="819">th</SUP>)
-This game seems to me to be too small a spread for how much bad-mouthing is going on towards Kansas.
-Kansas is one of the goats of the BCS, they are constantly being bashed for their participation over other more appealing suitors, especially Missouri, may feel as if they need to prove something.
-Virginia Tech uses a two QB system
-Frank Beamer voted his team into the NTG, the only coach who was not in it to do so.
-If it were up to the computer polls VT took 1<SUP goog_docs_charIndex="1299">st</SUP> in the BCS
-Kansas covered their first 10 games vs the spread.
-the potent KU attack didn't post big numbers vs. the more demanding tests on the schedule. The Jayhawks scored only 19 points at both Colorado & Texas A&M; Reesing netted less than 200 passing yards vs. both the Buffs and Aggies; KU's usually-robust infantry gained only 42 rushing yards in that Big XII North showdown vs. Mizzou
-Virginia Tech covered and won their last 5 games, and 7 of their last 8
-V-Tech's only loss in the last part of the season was rectified with a ACC-championship victory over BC.
-This is the 15th straight Bowl game for Virginia Tech.
-Virginia Tech ranks 5th, 2nd, & 5th in rushing, total, & scoring "D" however on the other side of the ball, it is another matter,
as the Hokies rank 99th in total "O" (81st in rushing, 85th in passing).
-On the road or in neutral site games against solid defenses (Colorado, Texas A&M, Kansas State and Missouri) Kansas averaged 24 points per game. In their other eight games they averaged 55 points per game
-VT plays its Home games on grass, Kansas does not.
-The Hokies have 10 seniors among 17 upperclassmen starters and KU has 5 among 18.
-Kansas's Defense did not have a single player miss a start this year to injury.

I LOVE IT!!!

Will Muschamp Interviews With Mack Brown?

by HornsFan Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 06:17:21 PM EDT

<table align="right"><tbody><tr><td>
muschamp.jpeg
</td></tr></tbody></table>Rumors are swirling through Austin that Mack Brown brought in Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp for an interview today. Though I can't confirm whether that interview actually took place, I can confirm that he's got a pedigree that should tickle Texas fans who are eager for a change. <ins>THE WILL MUSCHAMP FILE</ins>
Coaching Experience
1995-96- Auburn (Graduate Assistant)
1998- West Georgia (Secondary)
1999- Eastern Kentucky (Secondary)
2000- Valdosta State (Defensive Coordinator)
2001-04- LSU (Linebackers/Defensive Coordinator)
2005- Miami Dolphins (Assistant Head Coach for Defense)
2006- Auburn (Defensive Coordinator)
Notable Accomplishments
As LSU Defensive Coordinator: Helped Nick Saban win the 2003 national title with a defense that ranked first nationally in scoring (11.0 points per game) and total defense (252 yards per game).
As Miami Dolphins Assistant Head Coach for Defense: Helped direct a defense which finished in the Top 10 in the NFL in yards per play, per rush, and per pass. Second in the NFL in sacks with 49.
As Auburn Defensive Coordinator: Auburn finished the season ranked 6th nationally in scoring defense (16.7 points per game), 34th in rush yards per attempt (3.48), and 10th in pass yards per attempt (5.8).
Red Flags?
If we were talking about hiring him as a head coach, there'd be lots to talk about. At age 36, he's relatively young, hasn't done too much recruiting, etc. But the man has been a defensive coordinator in a major conference for five seasons, plus another coaching in the NFL. He's not too green for this job.
The only part of Auburn's defensive profile in 2006 that wasn't well above average was quarterback sacks. The Tigers only accumulated 19 on the season, ranking 93rd nationally.
Would he say yes?
I've never met the man, but if Mack makes him an offer, it'll be tough to turn down. Auburn's a fine destination as is, but Texas is just a slight notch above if you're a coordinator who aspires for a head coaching gig. For a guy like Muschamp who would like his own team one day, there aren't many better final coordinator jobs to have than one in Austin. Money's not an issue. Austin's a wee bit better than Auburn. Let's call it 2:1 he says yes if he's offered the gig.

Muschamp in Austin

By Suzanne Halliburton | Thursday, January 3, 2008, 05:37 PM
Word coming out of Auburn has it that Tiger defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is in Austin today, interviewing for the opening at Texas. Larry Mac Duff, the Longhorn defensive co-coordinator in charge of linebackers, resigned Wednesday morning.
A source close to the UT coaching staff confirmed that a candidate was brought to Austin. If Muschamp takes the job, he would be the second defensive coordinator from Auburn to join Brown’s staff in the past three years. Gene Chizik was chief play caller and defensive co-coordinator for Texas from 2005-06.
Two spokesmen for Texas would not confirm that an interview was taking place. Auburn sports information staffers also would not confirm or deny that Muschamp is here.
Muschamp is a hot prospect on the head coaching scene. He turned down Southern Mississippi and interviewed for the Arkansas job.
At 36, he’d also be the youngest coach on Brown’s staff, if an offer is made and he accepts. And he could be the highest paid. He’s making $350,000 as the defensive coordinator with the Tigers. That’s $50,000 more per year than Mac Duff and Duane Akina each made for 2007.
All his major ties are with the Southeastern Conference. He was a walk-on defensive back at Georgia. He earned a masters degree from Auburn. And he spent three years with LSU, serving as the defensive coordinator in 2003, when the school won the national title.
He returned to Auburn in 2006, after spending a season with the NFL’s Miami Dolphins. In 2006, Muschamp’s defense at Auburn ranked seventh in the country in scoring defense. Coming into bowl season, Auburn was eighth nationally in total defense.
We’ll get you more details as soon as we hear them.

SMQ Bowl Blitz: Are We Not Entertained?! Not Quite...
By SMQ
Posted on Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 05:35:17 PM EDT

Orange-Bowl-football-logo.png
A New Year's wish today for the Orange Bowl: a halfway watchable game. The BCS has brought us two straight nights and one much-anticipated afternoon of excruciating blowout football salvaged only by the very anathemic tears of Colt Brennan and Owen Schmitt, misdemeanors that could be forgiven to a great extent if the postseason underlings hadn't previously brought us the actual on-field excitement of the Poinsettia, Las Vegas, Hawaii, Motor City, Champs Sports, Liberty, Alamo, Independence, Music City,
Chick-Fil-A, Outback, <strike>Citrus</strike> Capital One and Gator bowls, all close, back-and-forth games decided in the final two minutes and none accompanied by melodramatic, synthed-up gladiator pomp. I repeat that University of Phoenix Stadium is not of this Earth, and never did I imagine I could long for the relatively straightforward presentation of the Worldwide Leader's humble fight song intro. Fox is taking us into epic battle, replete with splendorous clarion calls - if only our real military adventures were as one-sided as the wins by Georgia and West Virginia.</peach></p> The Fiesta was most disappointing - Illinois and Hawaii were largely expected to be pummeled, but West Virginia and Oklahoma was a much more attractive heavyweight struggle that (like the Rose Bowl) was never as close as the score indicated even before OU's comeback hopes were clearly trampled. Putting all the eggs in the basket of the end-all mythical championship game has detracted from the luster of the big games that precede it, anyway, and it can't be a good thing for ratings or reputation of an already-maligned system that these alleged clashes of the titans have produced uniformly drama-free viewing past the midpoint of the third quarter.
Kansas, another outsider in the same ill-fated, overmatched mode as Hawaii and Illinois, can either follow them into oblivion against a more talented team or show some sign that the season-long knocks against the Jayhawks' suspicious schedule - based on opponents' winning percentage, only four BCS conference schools played an easier slate than KU - missed something about the chemistry and gritty makeup of this particular team, something it took two-and-a-half quarters to rediscover in the season-ending loss to Missouri. Kansas looked too slow to compete on an elite level against the Tigers, especially on defense, unable to get to Chase Daniel or to play his receivers tightly enough to avoid getting burned for the big play without giving up easier first down throws underneath or to account for Tony Temple in the Tigers' misdirection running game.
t1_glennon.jpg

These are the good months: Glennon is 8-1 in Novermber/December starts.
- - -
It must be some solace to KU that Virginia Tech is far more straightforward and conservative on offense than Missouri or any other team in the wide open Big 12, and maybe the Hokies' reputation for inflicting slow, methodical death by offensive asphyxiation is responsible for the spread opening at a mere 1.5 points. It's since moved in Tech's direction to 3.5 or 4 points, probably because more bettors have noticed the leap in productivity by the Hokies since early November and wily, pocket-bound junior Sean Glennon began rotating in with shifty freshman Tyron Taylor on a play-by-play basis in the win over Virginia and the ACC Championship. Since Glennon reassumed the starting role for an injured Taylor in the devastating, ultimately championship-stealing Thursday night loss to Boston College, a game in which VT characteristically sat on a meager ten-point lead for most of the second half, the Hokies have been more aggressive offensively and vastly more productive: they scored 27 points on a season-high 481 yards with Glennon exclusively under center at Georgia Tech, 40 points on 395 yards with Taylor going most of the way against Florida State, 44 on 358 with Glennon running the show against Miami, 33 on 430 with both playing against Virginia and 30 on 300 yards with both playing in the BCS-clinching win over Boston College. Glennon especially has been a dramatically different quarterback in the last two games than the wide-eyed, immobile, stagnant liability who was benched after an atrocious start at LSU back in September. He's been more accurate, polished and confident; in his last four starts, against very above-average defenses in Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia and B.C., he averaged over 225 yards (very good by V-Tech and ACC standards), threw seven touchdowns to one interception and finished second in the conference in passer efficiency. Tech has had great speed and ability at wide receiver for four years in Justin Harper, Eddie Royal, Josh Morgan and Josh Hyman, and all became more involved over the last month as a direct result of Glennon's game finally coming together enough to put more pressure on a defense downfield.
Any discussion of success by Virginia Tech's offense, of course, is underpinned by the fact that it never requires very much opposite the Hokie defense, which was its usual inpenetrable self - fifth nationally in rushing defense, fourth in pass efficiency, fifth in total defense and second in scoring, joining Ohio State and USC as the only unit in the top ten by all four measures. Part of that statistical success is owed to playing in the offense-deficient ACC, but at least as much of Kansas' prolific offensive numbers are due to running against the defense-deficient Big 12, where it conveniently missed playing two of the top three statistical defenses (Oklahoma and texas) besides its own. The Jayhawks put up a string truly prolific numbers offensively, but against very, very bad defenses, and when it ran into a competent unit like Missouri's at the end of the year, the Tigers were able to stop Brandon McAnderson on the ground, build a lead and force Todd Reesing to carry the game on his undersized shoulders, which are not very likely to threaten the Hokies deep if they're able to jump the horizontal screen/slant/hitch game that's been so good to Kansas. Virginia Tech has long been almost without peer in creating mistakes and has the personnel in its deep secondary to play man-to-man against Kansas' receivers, focus on the run and put pressure on Reesing; if Chris Ellis and Barry Booker can bring the heat with just the Hokie front four and allow Bud Foster to mix up his coverages behind them, Reesing is a cooked Jayhawk.
It should be noted that Kansas is terrific at forcing mistakes, too - it led the nation in turnover margin and forced a Big 12-high 32 takeaways (V-Tech had 30). None of these, however, came against Missouri, which I take to be KU's most relevant game against top level competition, and judging from the way the defense was quickly put on its heels against the Tigers, I'd expect Virginia Tech to come out firing to its athletic wideouts more than expected and avoid the fickle-fingered fortune of Toledo (four turnovers), Florida International (five turnovers), Baylor (five turnovers), Nebraska (five turnovers) and Oklahoma State (five turnovers). Unlike any of those teams, the Hokies shouldn't have to pass their way out of a mile-deep hole for the entire second half - or so we can only hope.
<table><tbody><tr><td>
virginia_tech_hokies.jpg
</td> <td>Virginia Tech 31</td> <td></td> <td>Kansas 21</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mallett Out Like Doug?

The Toledo Blade is causing a tizzy with a piece headlined "Mallett planning to transfer", but the actual texty bits are not so strident:
There is speculation out of Ann Arbor that freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett has decided to leave Michigan and will transfer to UCLA, according to a person close to the team.​
CYA to the max, but probably not a good sign.

Perhaps you can take comfort in this?
In his diary entry dated Dec. 30, [MI RB Jonas] Gray writes, "If I had to guess where Terrelle goes, I would say he ends up at Ohio State. I could still see him at Michigan, but he's going to watch the Ryan Mallett situation closely. I know Mallett is going to decide after the (Capital One) bowl game and if he decides to transfer, Terrelle Pryor is going to Michigan. I have a real good feel for that."​

Scott: Jamaal leaving changes things

By Alan Trubow | Thursday, January 3, 2008, 03:36 PM
Top-rated running back Darrell Scott, from Ventura, Calif., told the Austin American-Statesman there’s nothing negative he can say about Texas anymore. The highly coveted recruit puts them right at the top of his list.
But he’s not committing, yet.
The No. 4 overall prospect in the country according to Rivals.com, Scott said Wednesday morning the only thing working against Texas was Jamaal Charles returning for his senior season.
Wednesday afternoon, Charles decided to turn pro.
Scott has Colorado and Texas as his top two choices.
“There’s nothing I can say negative about Texas anymore,” Scott said. “They’ve got everything I want, because I want to play my freshman year. I”m looking for a negative, but I just can’t find one.”
And what about Colorado?
“Well, they’ve got everything, too, except for good weather,” Scott said. “I really am not a cold-weather person, and I really don’t like the weather there.”
Two other schools are in the running for Scott’s services.
“I have two more trips to make. I’m going to Florida on Jan. 11,” he said. “I’ve also got to schedule a trip to LSU. I’m going to decide on signing day.”

It's In My Contract

by HornsFan Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 04:30:00 PM EDT

I have to post stuff like this when I come across it. Just... have to.
biggamebob.jpg

West Virginia sticks with Stewart

Interim tag dropped as coach is hired after Fiesta win

Posted: Thursday January 3, 2008 9:46AM; Updated: Thursday January 3, 2008 4:35PM

<table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnimgadpad" width="100%">
bill.stewart.jpg

Former quarterbacks coach Stewart proved to be a good fit during his interim tenure in the head spot.
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnimgadpad">
advertisement_down.gif
<noscript>
</noscript>
</td></tr><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnstoryclpad">
</td></tr></tbody></table>SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Bill Stewart didn't need an actual job interview. His performance in the 21/2 weeks since Rich Rodriguez resigned, punctuated by West Virginia's resounding victory over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, was enough.
Now he's the coach of the Mountaineers, a promotion for a man who calls himself a "West Virginian all my life."
"I had the longest job interview in America," Stewart joked Thursday, hours after the 48-28 victory over the Sooners and before the team boarded a flight home.
The 55-year-old coach agreed to a five-year contract worth $800,000 a year, plus incentives. The base salary totals $4 million, the same amount West Virginia is seeking in a buyout of the seven-year contract, worth almost $2 million a year, that Rodriguez signed in August.
Stewart was appointed interim coach when Rodriguez left Dec. 16 to coach Michigan. West Virginia formed a search committee that, according to athletic director Ed Pastilong, interviewed "a large number of candidates." Central Michigan coach Butch Jones, a West Virginia native, was considered a leading contender.
But the committee had its eyes on Stewart all along.
"In reality, he was being interviewed every day," said Pastilong, who has known Stewart for nearly four decades. "I heard somebody say that last night he had the ultimate interview. But he always was one of our most serious candidates."
Gov. Joe Manchin was among the enthusiastic group of boosters who attended the announcement at the Scottsdale resort where the Mountaineers had stayed.
"I couldn't be more happy," Manchin said. "I've watched this team come together and this gentleman right here, Billy Stewart, bring it together. He's the glue. There's not a mother or father watching today that wouldn't be proud to have their son play for this man."
Pastilong called Stewart to his room in the wee hours Thursday to offer him the job. Stewart has not signed a contract but agreed to terms with a handshake.
"I don't have a lot of experience in these negotiations and things. That's my agent right down there," he said, pointing to his wife, Karen.
Stewart had the backing of the team, including Pat White. The quarterback began stumping for Stewart on the field after running for 150 yards and throwing for 176 and two touchdowns in the victory over the No. 3 Sooners.
"He deserves it," White said. "A great man. A great coach. All the players respect him and all the players love him. You couldn't ask for a better man to lead us to victory today."
Stewart said he wanted the entire staff to return, although some are expected to join Rodriguez in Michigan. Tony Gibson, secondary coach and recruiting coordinator, was the only assistant who has resigned so far, Pastilong said.
WVU president Mike Garrison said Stewart, as a native West Virginian, fully appreciates the school.
"At this university, loyalty and trust are important," Garrison said. "We know we now have a coach who truly values the opportunity to work as the head football coach at West Virginia University."
Stewart earned $139,000 this year in his position that also included coaching tight ends and fullbacks and being the special teams coordinator. He came to West Virginia as quarterbacks coach in January 2000 after two seasons as offensive coordinator in the Canadian Football League.
Don Nehlen, the retired Mountaineers coach who hired Stewart, was glad his former assistant had landed the job.
"He's just such a good person and the kids love him," Nehlen said. "It's such a good fit with the program."
Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin got his first coaching job when Stewart hired him as an assistant at VMI. Tomlin was elated to see Stewart get the West Virginia job.
"Bill Stewart!" Tomlin said at the Steelers' practice when told of the hiring. "That's the best news of the day!"
A message left for Rodriguez early Thursday was not immediately returned.
Stewart was head coach at VMI from 1994-96, compiling an 8-25 record. He also had stints as an assistant at Salem College, North Carolina, Marshall, William & Mary, Navy, Arizona State and Air Force.
Stewart acknowledged he had mellowed since his difficult years at VMI.
"I'm a little more settled in. I'm a little more laid back and I'm a little more wise," he said. "It's called maturity. I'll be as demanding, but I found out there's other ways to get the results."

New 5 star QB transfer???
By TheTJCummingsEra Section: Diaries
Posted on Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 01:17:43 PM EDT

Bumped. If this turns out to be true also be on the look out for former Michigan QB coach Scott Loeffler (as speculated on Sunday). Rick F*&^ing Neuheisel. GO BRUINS. -N

If this is true...
54b5e0bd-1b02-4c3c-9ef7-efaf64a526e3.jpg

Now, don't get your hopes up about the dude on the right. However, apparently the dude on the left, freshman QB Ryan Mallett from Michigan, has already decided to leave the team and sign up with UCLA! Here's the source:
There is speculation out of Ann Arbor that freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett has decided to leave Michigan and will transfer to UCLA, according to a person close to the team.
Here's Mallett's profile. Rick F*&%kin Neuheisel, ladies and gentlemen!
UPDATE –N: Brian over at MGoBlog has a post up on this topic, which reads like a concession post (?). Wolverines are taking “comfort” in landing Pryor (a hot shot 5 star QB for this year’s class who some are speculating will end up in Michigan, should Mallet decide to transfer). So, if this is true, it could be a double whammy for RN. Land an incredible talent in Mallet, while keeping Pryor out of the Pac-10 (Oregon is gunning hard for TP). GO BRUINS.

UPDATE II -N: From Sean at Michigan Sports Center:
As I said earlier today, listening to Lloyd Carr in his final meeting with the media suggested that Mallett had already made a decision, and my opinion was that that decision was to transfer. (By the way, Carr was wearing Adidas gear in that meeting because he can do what he wants) What really is interesting about this whole situation is to see where quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler ends up, because there are so rumors that he could go to UCLA. At the same time, rumors suggested that Mallett and Loeffler may sort of be a package deal, so if both landed in Westwood it wouldn't be surprising.
Also per godblesstyus95 in the comment thread ESPN reported that "Lloyd Carr has spoken with Mallett and knows his decision, but wants Mallett to 'announce it himself'." Stay tuned. GO BRUINS.

Jones agrees to two-year extension

Chippewas coach had been candidate for WVU job

Posted: Thursday January 3, 2008 10:19AM; Updated: Thursday January 3, 2008 10:19AM

DETROIT (AP) -- Central Michigan coach Butch Jones has agreed to a two-year contract extension, keeping him under contract for the next five seasons.
Jones, a former West Virginia assistant, was a candidate for the Mountaineers' job that opened when Rich Rodriguez left to coach Michigan. West Virginia assistant Bill Stewart ended up with the West Virginia job.
"I'm really excited about staying at Central Michigan," Jones said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press. "I take it as a compliment that West Virginia showed interest in me, but at this time I'm not looking to go anywhere. The administration has been great with its support, and the future looks bright for Central Michigan football."
Jones led the Chippewas to the Mid-American Conference championship in his first year in Mount Pleasant. He took over for Brian Kelly, who left Central for Cincinnati.
Central Michigan lost to Purdue 51-48 in the Motor City Bowl Dec. 26.

ODE TO OWEN SCHMITT

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/STELXrGp1BM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object></p> He droppped off his tape expecting nothing, not a scholarship offer or even attention. He walked on and finished as the starting fullback. He once bent three masks in a game against Maryland. He hang cleans 520 pounds. He wears a mohawk. He blocks like Hellboy tackling a demon from another dimension. He rugby punts for his team occasionally, and when he botched a kick against Louisville earlier this season he banged his own helmet against his forehead in frustration.
And last night, after lighting the powder keg for the Mountaineers, Owen Schmitt broke down and cried when Oompa-Loompa/sideline reporter Laura Okmin asked him how he felt about the game. Schmitt, bloody and mohawked, got about halfway through his answer before he wept. Okmin kept pestering him and nearly ruined the moment….nearly. This moment was as bulletproof and armored as Schmitt’s adamantine forehead.
Owen Schmitt, we love you and the double-steel reinforced skullhammer known as your head. We watch college football through a miasma of cynicism and snark, but some things burn those clouds off and expose college football for what it can be: mute, teary glory. Thank you for the sunshine and bent face-masks, Owen. We hope you get all the red meat, boobs, and cash you can handle out of this life.

CURIOUS INDEX, 1/3/08

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="590"><tbody><tr width="590"> <td colspan="3" width="590">
top.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr width="590"> <td background="http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/almanac/left.jpg" width="31">
</td> <td width="528"> Tears. You wanna watch some people unravel at the end of the game, but in two completely different ways? Then watch the last five minutes of last night’s Fiesta Bowl. West Virginia, clearly boiling with unspent aggression and frustration coming into this game, puts on the biggest display of public emotion on record, delighting middle-school guidance counselors everywhere with their ability to healthily express love for each other. Bill Stewart’s crying, everyone’s hugging, and Owen Schmitt starts to talk about his team, his state, and his home and just completely and gloriously loses his shit. You might laugh at a huge man with a mohawk and blood on his face, but we don’t, both out of fear that he’ll hurt us and out of pure emotion. WVU’s contents were under pressure, but 350 yards rushing on Oklahoma and a 20 point defeat of a team favored by a TD in the Fiesta Bowl represent the textbook way to vent.
2161831063_9e85d1f58f_m.jpg

Let it out, coach. Photo credit: Matt York, AP.
The Sooners broke up on re-entry last night: following an onside attempt that went awry and ended up in WVU’s hands, the Sooners blew themselves apart in a flurry of penalties and poor blocking. Despite giving thirty to forty pounds to Oklahoma’s offensive line, the Mountaineers and manbeast Johnny “Yeah, that’s my fucking name what about it?” Dingle rounded the corner on almost every play and nullified Sam Bradford. The disappearance of the OU run game may be the greatest mystery in this game, along with the question of exactly where Matt Versgasian saw a runaway beer truck hit a gaping hole on a fullback dive for 57 yards.

<object height="373" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FDa_xuVTVjs&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="373" width="425"></object></p> If you didn’t watch the game, you can always play along with a shameless plug and check out the two minute summaries we have over at the Sporting Blog. (Cha-ching! Annoying cash sound!) You can also note that even with the introduction of a national officiating coordinator, officials in last night’s game missed textbook holds by Oklahoma linemen all night, along with chop-blocks on Johnny Dingle.
Auburn does not teach chop-blocking, and waterboarding is an exfoliation treatment. The Wiz points us to the second highly public instance of Auburn chop-blocking someone into injury.

<object height="373" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/teVd7i4XmFw&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="373" width="425"></object></p> Tommy Tuberville doesn’t tolerate chop-blocking. HE SIMPLY ADORES IT.
He’s a man, just like his son. Do not let the Insight Bowl 2007 slip into oblivion without noting this item from the Stillwater NewsPress.
While players and coaches were milling around on the field following the game but before the trophy presentation, Ray Gundy, the father of Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, was walking around with one of Coach Gundy’s young sons on his hip. He came over to a group of media members and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade at one male columnist that concluded with, “Print that in your f****** paper!”
Well, it’ll have more asterisks than Barry Bonds’ bio, but if you insist, sir. (HT: RLC)
Dewayne Walker of UCLA will stay as defensive coordinator under the new Rick Neuheisel jam he’s putting together. Forty bucks a day will get you a long way in this world, man.
</td> <td background="http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/almanac/right.jpg" width="31">
</td> </tr> <tr width="590"> <td colspan="3" width="590">
bottom.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Bob Stoops Is Just Not a Good Bowl Coach

Posted Jan 3rd 2008 4:00AM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: Oklahoma Football, West Virginia Football, Big 12, Big East, Bowl Games, NCAA FB Coaching, The Word
bob-stoops-argh-180.jpg
And with each passing year, Oklahoma's stunning 13-2 BCS Championship victory over Florida State looks like an outlier, if not an outright fluke.

Since that championship in his first bowl game, Bob Stoops has gone just 3-4 in postseason play after an embarrassing 48-28 loss last night to West Virginia. Stoops has notably suffered cruel defeat against Boise State (43-42 last year) and in the BCS Championship Game against USC (55-19) to go along with last night's disaster.

The Sooner defense was thoroughly embarrassed by a team that had just lost its coach and whose fan base was lukewarm about the trip to the desert after a humiliating defeat to rival Pittsburgh cost them a place in the championship game. What does it say for a team's level of preparation and concentration when it surrenders 9 yards/carry on the ground, 350 rushing yards overall and allows scoring plays of 17, 21, 30, 56, 65 and 79 yards?

Oklahoma looked sheepish with several curious decisions, notably failing on multiple mid-game two-point conversion tries and attempting a botched onside kick. West Virginia bludgeoned the Sooners for that mistake, taking the free yards and then scoring a quick touchdown that effectively put the game away.

For the second time in two seasons and three in the last four, Bob Stoops' Oklahoma Sooners have been bowl flops. It wasn't always that way as Stoops won his first three bowl games before falling in a very winnable BCS Championship game to LSU. The Sooners trailed and eventually lost 21-14, but had two late chances to at least tie the game and failed miserably.

What followed was a 17-14 Holiday Bowl victory over Oregon sandwiched by the three aforementioned embarrassments. Not good. Stoops' 4-4 overall bowl mark is decent enough, but no team outside of Notre Dame has embarrassed itself more in recent big bowl games.

Meet Fozzy Whittaker

by HornsFan Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 02:20:04 AM EDT

I'm a Vondrell McGee fan. I think in certain running offenses he could be an All-Conference player. I wonder a bit about him being elite as Colt McCoy's sidekick.
More on that later. For now, here's your first look at Foswhitt (Fozzy) Whittaker, who will be a redshirt freshman next season for the 'Horns. You'll notice some of that zero-to-gone speed that we got used to from Jamaal Charles. Though in the open field he's not as Pure Fast as Jamaal, Fozzy's initial acceleration is elite.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mYubU2O0Ha4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object></p> --PB--

The Muschamp watch continues

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times January 03, 2008 7:22 PM

Categories: Football
If Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has made a decision on whether to accept an offer to accept a similar job at Texas, I don't know it. But based on the way these things usually work, it doesn't look good for Auburn.
In most cases, when someone in high-profile position like Muschamp's goes to another to school to interview, he takes the job. Maybe that won't happen this time, but I'll be surprised.
Word is that both Texas coach Mack Brown and Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville want an answer tonight. If that happens, I'll have that answer here as soon as I know it.
The question being asked by Auburn supporters, obviously, is why he would do it. Not having talked to Muschamp tonight, despite repeated attempts, I can only speculate. Among college football coaches, Texas is generally considered the best place in the game to work. The university and the athletic department are awash in money. Texas is the dominant power in perhaps the most fertile recruiting area in the country. It can dominate most of the teams in its league.
Having said that, I'm still surprised Muschamp is considering leaving.
He has a potentially outstanding defense returning. He recently received a substantial raise and is among the most highly paid coordinators in the country. He has told me on more than one occasion that Tuberville is the best coach for whom he's ever worked. He's on track to become a head coach, and could already be one at Southern Mississippi.
If he goes, we won't know the reason for it until he reveals it, if he does.
Below are links to reports in The Dallas Morning News and The Houston Chronicle.
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/
http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2008/01/auburns_muschamp_could_be_name.html

Back