1st Round Playoffs - Discussion

That series opened -110/-110 before the odds found their way to what they appear as in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The overwhelming problem for the Capitals IMO is this - they've been winning so regularly for so long, that it's simply not realistically feasible for them to avoid a slump in form at some point in the playoffs. And, obviously, any slump taking place in a playoff situation will be nothing short of terminally destructive.

Teams with the longest run of games without having suffered 2 straight regulation losses headed into the playoffs...

62 games - Washington
24 games - Philadelphia
20 games - Montreal
17 games - Pittsburgh
13 games - Anaheim

If any of these teams make the Stanley Cup finals, you'd imagine they'll have played between 17-19 games to get there (and to have not suffered 2 straight losses in any particular series, since such a feat is usually terminal to one's series hopes).
That would mean, for Washington, possibly going 81 games without suiffering conseuctive losses in regulation - thats simply ridiculous to contemplate. Even for the lowest team on this list, Anaheim, that would mean 30-32 games without consecutive reg. losses (with over half those being playoff games) - that number is pushing the bounds of reason, let alone 79/81.

So, on a *slump-of-form-basis*, you'd have to think it hard for any of the above 5 teams to go right through and win the Stanley Cup w/out suffering 2 straight reg. losses (at least once), which would obviously seriously endanger their hopes of winning the particular series that feat took place in.

Great info BC .As well as the caps have played- I seen this on tv the other day- since Boudreau's been there, the caps have the 4th best record in the NHL if I remember correctly.

I really think the Caps can win this first series, Philly came out on fire at the start of the season then just were on a steady decline the whole way throughout he rest of the season.

Caps are sitting at -160 right now though, soo hmm..

Looking at my 5 on 5 goal differential, it says the caps should be able to do it. Caps have a very good PK under Boudreau and Philly has lived on its PP, but, since mid march, the Flyers have improved greatly in this area. Its gonna be a very close battle IMO. I cant pick a side.

There's also a Russian jinx factor worth noting....there has never been a team with two Russians in their top five in scoring that has made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. The Pens have two, the Habs have two, the Caps have three. Hmmm Rangers future play?

Thanks for the info Gandolf...I think this could be a year though that one team 'reinvents' the way hockey is played and how a team should be built, where the usual predicting facts and numbers dont count so much. Kinda like the advent of the Edmonton Oilers or New Jersey devils back in the day. I think that team is Montreal but Im biased here lol

Back