14 weeks in, anything new?

I agree the call was soft but I think I was reading that it is, by the book, a penalty.

also, it seemed like res may have known they were gonna hear it and tried a make up call. IDK, but oen doesn't excuse the other. one was 15 yards the other was a game tying td

No one is saying a make up call excuses anything. The point was if the refs had a side, they don’t make the make up call on the next play.

REFEREES

And yes, I know where you're going with that question, a more aggressive game plan would have helped in hindsight although isn't that why Atlanta lost in the super bowl? Like taking that sack to get out of field goal range?

Sure, that’s why Atlanta lost in the SB. Has nothing to do with Marrone. It’s just another example of poor coaching.

I agree the call was soft but I think I was reading that it is, by the book, a penalty.

also, it seemed like res may have known they were gonna hear it and tried a make up call. IDK, but oen doesn't excuse the other. one was 15 yards the other was a game tying td

I also find it hard to believe that by the book that’s a penalty. From what Perierra said on the telecast, there needs to be force and body weight applied for it to even be considered a penalty. He just grabbed Wentz’s ankle and tackled him. That is not how the rule is written, it was a horrible call.

Sure, that’s why Atlanta lost in the SB. Has nothing to do with Marrone. It’s just another example of poor coaching.

I just mean that it may be hindsight bias to say that Marrone should have been more aggressive with that lead when that could have cost Jax just the same? Especially cause Bortles isn't exactly Matt Ryan. I mean the Jags used up every single possible creative play call as early as it could to score as many points as it did.

I just mean that it may be hindsight bias to say that Marrone should have been more aggressive with that lead when that could have cost Jax just the same? Especially cause Bortles isn't exactly Matt Ryan. I mean the Jags used up every single possible creative play call as early as it could to score as many points as it did.

It may be hindsight bias. Or, it may be reality because he’s not a good head coach. It seemed that most anyone who talked about that game agreed that the conservative approach in the 2nd half (and the series before half time) is what cost them that game.

I’m not so sure it’s even that much hindsight as the complaints began at halftime after the bad decision and then continued throughout the 2nd half as they were giving the game away. It was actually happening in real time, as well as after the game.

It may be hindsight bias. Or, it may be reality because he’s not a good head coach. It seemed that most anyone who talked about that game agreed that the conservative approach in the 2nd half (and the series before half time) is what cost them that game.

I’m not so sure it’s even that much hindsight as the complaints began at halftime after the bad decision and then continued throughout the 2nd half as they were giving the game away. It was actually happening in real time, as well as after the game.

Wasn't that the mentality of the Jags all season that helped bring them to the AFC champ in the first place? Get a lead, run out the clock, keep the lead with elite defense. Jags aren't a team that will push the ball down the field, i'm sure Bortles chucking it wouldn't have led to any better results. You can't ask an apple to become an orange.

It's a matter of choosing whether to trust Bortles or the elite Jax defense.

Wasn't that the mentality of the Jags all season that helped bring them to the AFC champ in the first place? Get a lead, run out the clock, keep the lead with elite defense. Jags aren't a team that will push the ball down the field, i'm sure Bortles chucking it wouldn't have led to any better results. You can't ask an apple to become an orange.

It's a matter of choosing whether to trust Bortles or the elite Jax defense.

Sure, maybe that was the recipe. It was proven to be a poor recipe at the end of the day. That doesn’t work in today’s NFL, no matter how many old school, retread coaches want to keep trying it.

Sure, maybe that was the recipe. It was proven to be a poor recipe at the end of the day. That doesn’t work in today’s NFL, no matter how many old school, retread coaches want to keep trying it.

I tend to agree. I think I have an expanded perspective on this as a UVA basketball fan. Gotta be able to score. Defenses get spread out and get tired, no matter how good they are.

But Bortles could have driven for more points if that false start wasn't blown AFTER the first down was achieved. Who waits until the play is (successfully!) executed to call a false start? That was Jax's best play, the next play was an incomplete pass. Not to mention the fumble recovery by Jack

As far as kicking, moving the XP back has clearly had the impact the league was looking for. It’s better in college because they still kick from the 9 yd line. I don’t think FG kicking is better, or more consistent in college.

I meant current cfb kicking is better than it has ever been in cfb.

Obviously the extra pt numbers are gonna be worse with where it is kicked from now.

Kickers need their own union, should be making HC like salaries. Wonder how many playoff spots will ultimately be decided by a kick here or there over the season.

If the kickers get themselves into field position, then i'll agree KJ. They literally have one task to fulfill. To say they should be making close to quarterbacks like you did earlier is insane, especially as you are well aware of the sacrifices these guys make with their bodies, taking all those hits.

If the kickers get themselves into field position, then i'll agree KJ. They literally have one task to fulfill. To say they should be making close to quarterbacks like you did earlier is insane, especially as you are well aware of the sacrifices these guys make with their bodies, taking all those hits.
But as you know as with any business or product, it's results oriented, not how you get those results (as long as legally and/or ethically, thread goes full circle). I have a buddy that does financing for strip malls. Between he and the realtor, they at minimum must work 9 months on the project, crossing t's and dotting i's where necessary. But end of the day, they need the kicker to come in and get them that fat paycheck.

Pay the foot half of football!

But as you know as with any business or product, it's results oriented, not how you get those results (as long as legally and/or ethically, thread goes full circle). I have a buddy that does financing for strip malls. Between he and the realtor, they at minimum must work 9 months on the project, crossing t's and dotting i's where necessary. But end of the day, they need the kicker to come in and get them that fat paycheck.

Pay the foot half of football!

So what you say stems from a historical misunderstanding. The sport was not called football because guys are kicking the ball with their foot. It was called football to differentiate between the majority of the sports at the time which were played on horseback. Instead, football is played on foot. So kickers were never central to the concept of football (like the name seems to imply for you), but rather the offenses and defenses.

So what you say stems from a historical misunderstanding. The sport was not called football because guys are kicking the ball with their foot. It was called football to differentiate between the majority of the sports at the time which were played on horseback. Instead, football is played on foot. So kickers were never central to the concept of football (like the name seems to imply for you), but rather the offenses and defenses.
That wouldn't really be the point that closers get paid heavily in life (whether it be money or sex). Wonder also how many coaching jobs have been lost to missed kicks over the years. The bargaining power is tremendous!

That wouldn't really be the point that closers get paid heavily in life (whether it be money or sex). Wonder also how many coaching jobs have been lost to missed kicks over the years. The bargaining power is tremendous!

Closers do what starting pitchers do. But against the lineup when it gives the most effort. Not a valid analogy imo
Thats straw broke the camel‘s back

If refs were fixing the games, they would not be doing it with calls that stand out like fumble recoveries or even opi, those are just missed calls

They would do it with holding calls, same as how in the nba donoughy did it with early foul calls, not a bunch of stuff late in the game

You do it in areas stuff wont be looked at, the nfl is not fixed

Cowboys being in would be nice, the playoff ratings are still going to be insane

Lets also remember, the NFL has already been paid for tv this year

People notice the refs now more than in past because of replay, hd cameras, and the play on the field has never been faster

Plus remember, with everything going on, they are getting like 99% of it right

the only ever proven situation of the league setting a mandate was to fuck over al davis

The only owner who had the cajones to stand up to the league, only jerry comes close now, he was the first owner to hire people on the basis of their ability, regardless of skin color (first black nfl hc) or sex (Amy trask, first nfl major exec, who having learned from mr davis is one of only nfl media people who speak their mind)

Even with all that he did for the game, so much more than i wrote above but its sll over the field improvements, to every off the field, from the lowest employee on the totem pole to ms trask as ceo. Yet the nfl machine punished his team on the field with bullshit penalties, and had their water carriers like peter king, professional liar mort, and others of their ilk running a narrative about davis being crazy

Tagliebue was a disgustung man

It’s pretty clear, but the Saints will need a number 2 WR to step up to win it all. Michael Thomas is Fucking Amazing, the rest all all UFA basically. If they can’t run the ball, it gets real real tough. But Brees is unreal so that helps.

How fucking AWESOME is Taysom Hill? Have y’all watched this guy play....ummmm EVERYWHERE....if he ain’t blocking punts or taking snaps at QB lol.

It gets overlooked but the Max Unger trade for Jimmy Graham looks pretty solid today. Wow, who woulda thought I’d be saying that in 2018?!

Bellichek misplayed last play by putting in Gronk.

Miami was at their own 30. Tannehill wasn’t throwing a 75 yard pass to the end zone.

The lateral play was obvious. McCourty should be in there not gronk

It’s pretty clear, but the Saints will need a number 2 WR to step up to win it all. Michael Thomas is Fucking Amazing, the rest all all UFA basically. If they can’t run the ball, it gets real real tough. But Brees is unreal so that helps.

How fucking AWESOME is Taysom Hill? Have y’all watched this guy play....ummmm EVERYWHERE....if he ain’t blocking punts or taking snaps at QB lol.

It gets overlooked but the Max Unger trade for Jimmy Graham looks pretty solid today. Wow, who woulda thought I’d be saying that in 2018?!

They are going to Super Bowl if they get home field

I’m looking at all teams.

Hard to figure out a top 4 teams.

Saints
Patriots because everybody else sucks
Cowboys
Chiefs but hesitant due to Andy Reid and Mahomes Ints.

Rams aren’t a top 4 team
Bears aren’t either. Put them on road and they will lose.

With the league being super parity the patriots are in a position to potentially automatically be in the finals.

I just see Pitts as a fraud. Balty is balty, Houston is Houston.
Who can stop patriots? Chiefs? Well Reid sucks and Mahomes is favre with bad ints.

I could see patriots getting in final again.

League has bought Cowboys stock, good for business.

Birds got shafted last night.

Saints v Chargers SB when it's all said and done, could insert Pats there for the AFC but the NFC is locked down for Breesus.

Saints v Chargers SB when it's all said and done, could insert Pats there for the AFC but the NFC is locked down for Breesus.

If I look in my crystal ball I could see the title being won by Brees.

He broke all the records this season. I just see the cameras zooming on Brees and his young kids.

They love those storylines make you feel good stories.

They will big up the whole Brees almost 40 angle and Peyton winning his second title.

MaHomies is the Steph Curry of the NFL.

Virtually a carbon copy.

Yes pretty much. Longer range throwing and gun slinging attitude.

For anyone willing to listen. Mahomes style will not win in playoffs. That style works on regular season.

In playoffs there are no mail in efforts and defenders are locked in.

Maholmes will throw the game away with a costly int.

Would love to see chargers in super bowl. They have offensive talent. Defensively they are capable if Bosa is hyper.

Be nice to see anybody other than patriots in the game. You would figure with a slower Gronk and older Brady that they would start to decline?

McVay is way overrated r/n.

Only dude that can contain Gurley is McVay and he's done it way too much of late.

Fixed games everywhere
Goff is soft
McVay overrated
League buying Cowboy stock
Mahomes (league MVP front runner) unproven in playoffs IN HIS FIRST FULL SEASON AS STARTER

ARE SOME OF YOU FUCKERS SERIOUS WITH THIS GOD DAMN BULLSHIT?

Holy fuck, this isn’t a Blankets thread.

Floor is open to someone getting this thread back on track and helping other gamblers learn something. Jesus Christ guys...smfh

Throughout the gambling forums, as far back as I can remember, the topic of games being fixed has been brought up. Yesterday was the first time I considered it a legitimate possibility. When the referees did not award the Eagles the ball after the fumble of the opening kick off, I thought it was the worst call I have ever seen, literally, no exaggeration. I am not sure if the offensive PI call on Goedert topped that, but it certainly became 1a. Just brutal. And you can't argue that the Cowboys in the playoffs does help the NFL.
Missed this. So i got screwed on my eagles bet?

I learned one thing. Defense can still win games in the world of offensive juggernauts.

Bears D at Soldier Field is a major problem for any QB in this league.

Nagy and his being insanely conservative cost them the Pack game and the Dolphins game at a bare minimum...BUT

His offense and the designs he has schemes are nothing short of BRILLIANT.

Crazy pre-snap motion, ball can be spread to any of 7-9 receivers/backs...trick plays...holy shit.

AND YOU’RE NOT EVEN SEEING THE WHOLE PLAYBOOK! Trubisky is so weak in his reads, if they got a QB who could actually read a defense, and be accurate...they’d be the Saints north, only way scarier with that D.

Would kill to get an offensive mind for Darnold like Bears guys have w/Nagy

Bears D at Soldier Field is a major problem for any QB in this league.

Nagy and his being insanely conservative cost them the Pack game and the Dolphins game at a bare minimum...BUT

His offense and the designs he has schemes are nothing short of BRILLIANT.

Crazy pre-snap motion, ball can be spread to any of 7-9 receivers/backs...trick plays...holy shit.

AND YOU’RE NOT EVEN SEEING THE WHOLE PLAYBOOK! Trubisky is so weak in his reads, if they got a QB who could actually read a defense, and be accurate...they’d be the Saints north, only way scarier with that D.

Would kill to get an offensive mind for Darnold like Bears guys have w/Nagy
Trubisky is still a rookie at best. He has so much to learn. Nagy has more or less said that the playbook will be put into full for e next year and will be tailored much more to mitch.

Also, what doesnt get talked about, is the rest of the offense will know the book better too. Chiefs a great example of players in systems for 2 3 4+ years with a young qb who has a firm grasp.

Learned the masses in Pittsburgh are pissed at Tomlin, again. He's still not going anywhere and the media will lob him softball questions on #7's usage.

Learned why the pretzels in Philly are so salty, they get a tear bath before going in the oven.

Eagles actually played with a lot of heart, but they didn't play well. Yardage was 2:1 in regulation, TOP was 37-23. They made up yards with the turnover edge and a 60 yard edge in penalties.

I was shocked at how hard the Bengals, Jets and Raiders played. Mostly the first two since they were on the road.

Back