1/19/09 MLK Day

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
167-135 55.3% +20.3 Units

Still stuck at the +20 unit mark. Seems like it's been a month now. Luckily CFB (bowl season) and the NFL (tailing) playoffs have been good for me. Anyways on to MLK day. It's going to be quite chalky.

Lakers -4

Cavs have really started to show some signs of cracking recently. They've lost 3 of 4 on the road with two of those losses being by 9 points. Extremely tough road trip coming up for them w/out a couple of their main pieces. Confusion in my mind about who I'd put at the top of the EC at the moment, but I expect Stan Van Gundy to be coaching the EC all star team. Really expect a focused LA team that should bounce back strong from the Orlando loss. No look ahead to be seen and this is probably one of two circled home games for them before the ASG hits.

Knicks -2.5

Knicks have been quite solid at home recently. Imagine many people are down on them right now and I suppose there's a reason, but they have just been out on a tough WC road swing. First time since the new years that they got to play a home game followed by an off day and then another home game. Last time in this spot they beat the C's. Random trend of the day is them being 16-6 on MLK at home. Bit of a tradition they have going there. Do think they can take care of the Bulls at home. Bit of a sandwich game for the Bulls as they are in the middle of a 4 game home stand before heading out on a 7 game road trip that will have them away from home for 17 days. Roadie is honestly worse than the circus trip, but that's for another thread. Bulls already got theirs vs the Knicks this year and I think the Knicks get it done here.

Minny -5

Honestly haven't even looked at this, but I respect SF and Tuck enough to join them. Not to mention the huge line move already.

Philly/Dallas

Really interesting game here. Mavs have an honest shot of going 0-4 on this road trip. Sixers have 4 games off after this one. Howard and Brand both big ?? marks. I'm likely to fade whichever team brings back their "star" in this one. Both teams might be better off w/out said players, but certainly feel that way with Philly. Probably a good game to ignore honestly.

Other leans:

Hawks: Really like them to get back to their winning ways in this one, but I may just avoid them until they Horford back and Diop in sync.

Pacers: Hate that I missed the 9, but 8.5's are out there. Do realize that I'll probably wake up to 8's or 7.5's so I'm going to ponder this one a bit more before heading to bed.

any thoughts on rockets home to the mcnuggets ?

Ya I like the Rockets for sure. Should have been included in my leans. Home dominated series and the Nuggets have what should be an easy victory coming their way on Tuesday. Not sure how they react on the road with this being their only road game in what is honestly a month stretch of nothing but home games. Killa said it best when he stated this isn't the type of team that is fired up off of a loss. They have a bit of a pouting mentality to themselves. I'd rather the Rockets didn't have the Jazz on deck as it's the team that has knocked them out of the playoffs the prior two years, but the line seems cheap enough. Have no idea who guards Ming, but whoever it is should be in early foul trouble. Rockets are likely going to be a play.

Ya I like the Rockets for sure. Should have been included in my leans. Home dominated series and the Nuggets have what should be an easy victory coming their way on Tuesday. Not sure how they react on the road with this being their only road game in what is honestly a month stretch of nothing but home games. Killa said it best when he stated this isn't the type of team that is fired up off of a loss. They have a bit of a pouting mentality to themselves. I'd rather the Rockets didn't have the Jazz on deck as it's the team that has knocked them out of the playoffs the prior two years, but the line seems cheap enough. Have no idea who guards Ming, but whoever it is should be in early foul trouble. Rockets are likely going to be a play.

gracias

gL JP. Looks like we'll have similiar cards today, but regarding the Dallas game, as much as I dislike Josh Howard as a person/player and think his antics are a distraction, him in imo really helps Dallas. All of their slumps (1st couple games, that bad slump couple weeks back, and now again) I believe were all when Josh Howard was out. He brings toughness to a squad of soft jump shooters, can defend and rebound. Also, his presence imo doesn't movce a line nearly as much as it should considering he's the 3rd/4th biggest name on that team.

Good Luck J, Lean the lakeshow...but hoping to get a lower number:hang:. Knicks look good, and so does Minny. I obviously have concerns laying 4.5 with Minny on the road, but this is the Clippers. Last game between these guys, the Clippers smoked us at home, and that resulted in Wittman getting fired, and McFail getting demoted to coach of the team....One would think that gives McFail a little extra motivation to pump up his team for a victory. Thing that kills the Wolves is rebounding...don't think they have to worry to much about that w/o Camby.

gL JP. Looks like we'll have similiar cards today, but regarding the Dallas game, as much as I dislike Josh Howard as a person/player and think his antics are a distraction, him in imo really helps Dallas. All of their slumps (1st couple games, that bad slump couple weeks back, and now again) I believe were all when Josh Howard was out. He brings toughness to a squad of soft jump shooters, can defend and rebound. Also, his presence imo doesn't movce a line nearly as much as it should considering he's the 3rd/4th biggest name on that team.

Agree that Josh Howard could help them be a better team if the antics weren't there, but I have no doubt that Dirk wants him off the teams. Both times he's missed games for injuries and came back the Mavs lost the first game w/out him. Him and Dirk don't have the chemistry to just jump back out there together. Always a battle to see who's going to shoot the rock more. Philly is just 100% in sync right now and I think that's bad news for the Mavs who haven't been defending the ball much lately.

Sixers -3.5

Good Luck J, Lean the lakeshow...but hoping to get a lower number:hang:. Knicks look good, and so does Minny. I obviously have concerns laying 4.5 with Minny on the road, but this is the Clippers. Last game between these guys, the Clippers smoked us at home, and that resulted in Wittman getting fired, and McFail getting demoted to coach of the team....One would think that gives McFail a little extra motivation to pump up his team for a victory. Thing that kills the Wolves is rebounding...don't think they have to worry to much about that w/o Camby.

Wouldn't worry a ton about the high # with the Lakers. Cavs losses this year: 5 on opening night, 12, 7, 5, 9, 3, 9. After 5 it get's dicey, but 4 is more than fair. I don't think this game goes down to a last second shot. Lakers by DD's.

McHale has done a pretty damn good job of coaching that team. Rebounding certainly shouldn't be a problem as the Clipps are missing ALL of their big men. Still sucks laying the #, but it always does with road teams for me.

JP, what are your thoughts on the SA game. I know SA has history of handling CHA but I think this CHA team has been a lot better then any of there previous teams.

JP, what are your thoughts on the SA game. I know SA has history of handling CHA but I think this CHA team has been a lot better then any of there previous teams.

I wrote in SF's thread that I really liked them last night at 3.5. Who doesn't like them at 3.5 over the Cats? Think this is probably the game that trips up a ton of people today as the Spurs win by 1-3 points. I'm personally giving serious consideration to the Cats @+5 right now. BroadwayJoe was talking about the Bobcats starting a roll here soon and I can see it myself. So Charlotte or pass here.

Good Luck today . When in doubt with Charlotte as home pups always revert to the 1st Half Bobkittie play . Which I probably have now jinxed... 9-4-1 ATS (losing to Dallas , Cle , Det 2nd meeting and Chi the latter two they had big 2nd h rallies to easily win the 2nd H they tied Cle and won the DAL 2nd H by 3 points ) Rare for them to lose both halves as Home pups:cheers:

Good Luck today . When in doubt with Charlotte as home pups always revert to the 1st Half Bobkittie play . Which I probably have now jinxed... 9-4-1 ATS (losing to Dallas , Cle , Det 2nd meeting and Chi the latter two they had big 2nd h rallies to easily win the 2nd H they tied Cle and won the DAL 2nd H by 3 points ) Rare for them to lose both halves as Home pups:cheers:

Very good point. Going to go that route.

Cats +3 (-15c) 1st half

did you read in the in game thread that apparently d west is out for new orleans

sure did. not happy about it, but it makes sense. today looks like it could end up in a bloodbath. need to avoid the computer until the 8 pm games start. time to hit the gym :36_11_6:

lift for me...I drove there today...couldnt find a parking spot close enough so I decided to turn around and go back to work...

Going with a hunch here.

Suns/C's Over 206
Bucks/Blazers O197.5
Cavs/Lakers O201.5

All were played for a bit less than a unit, but for record keeping I'll call them a unit.

3-7 -3.70 Units

Last edited:
Back