Your early favorite for national champion this year...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
with a short reason...

Just to get some discussion going and see what the early concensus is..:shake:

USC.

I hate the Trojans, and I don't even have a ton to back this up. But I think Carroll's run at SC is coming to a close. I think that's quite possibly the dumbest career move that guy could ever make, but I think his ego can't take it any more that he's in college and seen as a failed NFL guy.

Of course, the reality is that he is in charge of the NFL team in Los Angeles, but he doesn't see it that way. I think they make a run this year.

This is pretty simple. Southern California Trojans. They are 5 deep at running back. They have the best tight end in the country and they'll have John David Booty who will be a first round pick and have much more confidence. Their defense has a chance to be the best of all time. I think they return 11 starters and their backups are loaded. The key is Hazelton and Turner who have more talent than any wr carolls had while at USC.
They have a tougher schedule this year than last. At Oregon and at Cal and at Nebraska. I just dont think any of those teams have the speed to match up with USC. The trojans wont overlook teams like they did last year. After they win it this year Petey leaves and they get put on probation for 2 years and none of this will even count.

Michigan should be the betting odds #2. I think Wisconsin is better than Michigan, but they have to play Ohio St this year ( to go along with joke of a non conference).

I would say the best team out of the SEC is LSU. Give me Matt Flynn in college any day over Jemarcuss. Flynn will be a lot more consistent. Jemarcuss did nothing except light up a Notre Dame secondary.

If you want to mark down the game of the year. Its NOV 11 when Saban comes to town. Should be crazy!

I L L I N I

reason - juice williams and recruiting class.

in all seriousness ... usc

If Lloyd Carr wasn't such a flaming p*ssy I would say that Michigan has a shot. Unfortunately, Lloyd's like Mack Brown, and he ain't got no Vince Young so he ain't get no title.

LSU

teams schedule if favorable. Except Tulane's going to win so nevermind 'an_horse'

ROLL WAVE! Man we are awful at sports now... lol

I know the thread hasnt been up that long, but surprised that noone has brought up Florida in this conversation....I dont think they'll win it again, but Urban is such a good coach, and with Tebow (I dont have a lot of faith in him), I cant imagine them not doing well......

tebow reminds me of #5 on eagles

Wow, as a fan of both teams that's something that never even crossed my mind.

The reason I don't bring up the Gators is two-fold. One, it's going to be Tebow's first full season under center. I loved that Meyer could get him some reps last year, but it was still very limited to basically one play over and over, one that wasn't a pass.

Two, part of me feels the defense was more built for this year than last, yet the defense was huge last year and they lost a number of who I thought were very key guys there, both along the line and losing Reggie Nelson.

Then there's the fact that the SEC is arguably the most difficult conference in the country. With the Pac-10, even though UCLA is improved, and Oregon is good, there are still some cheap, easy wins there for a team like USC. I'm not sure Florida has those cheap wins in conference.

USC title to lose.. 10 guys back on defense so you know they will be in every game. They need a RB to emerge but have 8 five star running backs on campus in August so someone will step up. Also need young guys like Patrick Turner, Videl Hazelton to step up at WR but man that defense is going to tear heads off

USC vs. LSU?

WVU...

THey should have a better defense this year, and have most receivers back..and of course slaton and white.

easier schedule, Louisville at home.

USC cannot defend the option in the national title game.

If Lloyd Carr wasn't such a flaming p*ssy I would say that Michigan has a shot. Unfortunately, Lloyd's like Mack Brown, and he ain't got no Vince Young so he ain't get no title.

Michigan has no defense. THey might lose 3.

I would look at schedules when determining the MNC. USC and Michigan I think play for all the marbles but WVU and Texas on the outside looking in based on soft schedules if everyone stays healthy especially Mccoy for Texas.

USC may be deep in 5 star RBs but none of them proved they are ready for primetime yet which led to their loss to UCLA.

Lots of teams with tons of question marks.

WVU...

THey should have a better defense this year, and have most receivers back..and of course slaton and white.

very possible.....2 superstar college playmakers on O and what should be an improved D.....Louisville and South florida will be there 2 toughest games in conference, BCS numbers might hurt and they'll prolly need some better teams to lose along the way

BC will be damn good too...the winner of that WF/BC early season game will go a long ways.

WVU...

Gotta disagree on WVU...gonna be plagued by a TERRIBLE D-Secondary again...in fact, the Yahoo preview talked about them having to find starting CBs...not good for a team that had a NON-EXISTENT Pass D last year...:36_11_6:

BUT, I do believe one of the two NC Game paricipants comes from the Big East...luv what Kragthorpe is doing @ Da Ville, Rutgers is going to be even better if Teel improves, and my darkhorse...USF...I'm telling y'all to bang-em-early before the betting public catches on...their stockpiling Blue Chip recruits who go out of state, get homesick and transfer back to FLA.

Nice "toughness of schedule preview" for The Big East: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...vrYF?slug=rivals-131025&prov=rivals&type=lgns

Mully :cheers:

I agree that this is USC's title to lose. It starts with who will challenge them in the PAC10?

I'd tread lightly with Texas this year especially early on. We are very young and inexperienced in the secondary and DE, and we return the same awful linebacking corps from last year. All the skill players on offense are back but we are replacing multiple positions on the O-line and lack depth there as well. I'm not very high on our replacements in the secondary, feel ok about DE, and meh about O-line.

Would like to add to my USC pick..

They return 79 lettermen....The MOST in the country..

SCARY

I love So Florida, too, but am worried that they are way, way, way too much a public darling team.

DO NOT think for one second that Vegas is not aware of this. Their lines will be completely crooked early in the season. If that team isn't aware of the line, and they aren't hell-bent on covering it, Vegas won't allow them to get past it. Vegas knows public wants that team ATS hard.

This is where you just hope that USF has several gamblers on that team that want to win by covering spreads, not winning by throwing games and then falling inside. You'd also wish their head coach were a full-blown degenerate who wants to always cover numbers.

USF looks great, but I'm afraid the public will fuck this up totally.

claycourt...good point..late season TV exposure last year put them on the map even with your average gamblers..which hurts us in the long run..

Big fan of this team though

Yeah, Big Al.

I hate to say it, but the USF Bulls are way, way too much in the radar.

What we need is inside info on them that says that their main goal in games is to cover huge spreads!!!!

I would look at schedules when determining the MNC. USC and Michigan I think play for all the marbles but WVU and Texas on the outside looking in based on soft schedules if everyone stays healthy especially Mccoy for Texas.

USC may be deep in 5 star RBs but none of them proved they are ready for primetime yet which led to their loss to UCLA.

Lots of teams with tons of question marks.

horn is 100% right. on paper, USC is clearly the best team in the country. the only problem is, they have the hardest schedule outside of any SEC team. the title is usc's to lose, and they are my frontrunner, but becuase of very soft schedules, wvu and texas could easily get there as well.

im predicting a USC national title win against either wva or texas, i feel both wva and texas will go undefeated, it just is up to the voters and computers to decide who gets the title shot.

adam good to see ya bro...

usc should take it down. i looked at all the schedules and it looks as if each of the 3 above could quite possibly lose one game. texas-OU, wvu-Louisville and USC-Cal/Oregon)although I really doubt it for any of the 3. i think we need to look at LSU a bit closer as they seem to have the easier schedule. I know they play quality teams but at home and with that talent they could easily win out and goto the NC. just some thoughts on that. i'm picking wvu/usc

Back