YOU GOT SERVED!!!--Week 5 (9/27-29) CFB Picks and News

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
2004-2005
No Records Kept

2005-2006 CFB Record
77-71 (52.04%), +2.2 units

2006-2007 CFB Record
70-48-3 (57.85%), +46.63 units (Behold the power of CTG)

2007-08 CFB Record
27-18, +28.4 Units

-------------------------

Pretty good week last week going 8-3 +21 units or so.

Sooooo.........

I feel so good, I thought I'd try out a tout-like title to my thread this week like the titles I see on some other sites by other posters (but not by anyone here or like any kinda title I see here ;) ). New avatar too from the movie by the same name.

82985-large.jpg

Week 5 and almost every team is getting into or has started conference play. Almost time to tighten up and prepare for October capping. Might get a few tasty DD favs, but those are going to become few and far between.

Picks and leans to come.

All plays for $600 unless otherwise mentioned.

Picks
tOSU -20' (-110)
Rutgers -14 (-110)
Cincy -14 (-110)
Cocks-Bulldogs Under 42 (-110)
Penn St -3 (+106)
Clemson -2.5 (-106)
Minnesota +24' (-102) ($300)

Last edited:
Great job last week RJ. you were one of the few I believe.

Thanks, guys....Let's Look at Some News and Notes

WE PAID $4 MILLION FOR THESE NUMBERS?!?!!111
By Todd Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 11:30:45 AM EDT
</I>

<TABLE width=400 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
alabamaugaoffensivestats.JPG
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width=400 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>click to enlarge</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Why Did the Gators Struggle Against Ole Miss?

Posted Sep 23rd 2007 11:48AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Florida Football, Mississippi Football, SEC
gators-vs-ole-miss.jpg

A 6-point win over one of the SEC's worst teams isn't much to crow about for the Gators, but they'll have an opportunity to improve with 4 Ws in the win column. Road wins in the SEC are always tough... but it shouldn't have been this tough.

What went wrong in Oxford? Here are five reasons.

1. This is the Defense Everyone Expected

Which is to say, not very good. Senior free safety Kyle Jackson's attempt to impersonate Reggie Nelson failed when the Rebs' Shay Hodge went airborne to catch a pass on Florida's 10-yard line. Jackson ended up whiffing completely, taking himself out of the play and giving Hodge an easy gallop into the end zone. Senior strong safety Tony Joiner didn't impress either, taking bad angles and allowing Ole Miss' WRs to get behind him on multiple plays. Aside from the marginal senior safeties, who don't really have an excuse, the Gators defense looked every bit as youthful and inexperienced as advertised.

After the Gators' romp over Tennessee, many wondered if perhaps this defense was among the best in the SEC. 390 Rebel yards later, the answer is: no. They're fast, they're talented, and they'll get better. But right now, expect every game to be a shootout. For reasons unknown, the defense's performance in the Tennessee game was an aberration.

2. Penalties, Penalties, Penalties

The attack of the yellow flag was prevalent on Saturday. The Gators suffered 14 penalties for 127 yards, which helped keep Ole Miss in the game. Most annoying: false starts and holding calls. Come on guys, get it together. The defense might be young, but the offense has plenty of experience on the line.

3. First Road Game for Half the Team

Florida is an extremely young team. The vast majority of starters are either freshmen or sophomores. Florida head coach Urban Meyer was vocal throughout the week leading up to the game regarding his concern about this first road trip for so many members of his team. At the time, most Gator fans wrote it off as coach-speak. But it now appears obvious that his concern was sincere and well-founded. The Gators seemed rather flat, especially on defense, from the first snap. Perhaps the Tennessee game wasn't fully out of their system?

4. Tim Tebow is Still Learning

Despite putting up Heisman-like numbers (427 yards of total offense and 4 TDs? Holy... ) in Oxford, there were times that Tim Tebow looked far more mortal than we've seen in his first three games. Tebow flat out missed on several of his throws -- some were short passes -- and seemed to lock in on Percy Harvin, his favorite target, despite a bevy of speedy receivers buzzing around in the defensive backfield. I also think the lack of Riley Cooper and Bubba Caldwell really slowed down the Gator offense on this day. The trio of Cooper, Caldwell, and Harvin catch the majority of Tebow's passes, so to have 2 of the 3 sitting on the bench seemed to give Tebow a case of laser-lockin on #1. WR David Nelson dropped a couple of passes which probably further inclined Tebow to go back to Harvin. In short, this was not a bad day for Tebow -- he won this game for the Gators and did it with gaudy stats. But as a pocket-passer, he is still a diamond in the rough. Which is hardly a surprise given the fact that this is his first SEC road game as a starter.

5. Ole Miss Came Ready to Play

At the highest level of collegiate athletics, the demarcation between 'great' and 'good' is slim. It's a half step here, a 4.4 instead of a 4.5 there, a level of total focus vs. 80% focus.

The Rebels wanted to win this game, and in the second half they started to believe they could win it. Florida seemed a half-step slower than normal in their first road game. Ole Miss elevated their play while Florida didn't quite play to their normal expectations, and the result was a game that was far closer than anyone expected.

In short, this game is a valuable learning experience for Florida as they prepare for Auburn next weekend.

Texas Longhorns Report Card: Offense vs Rice

by HornsFan Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 10:45:02 AM EDT

I've rewatched all of the first half and most of the second half of last night's game, and can say that it's going to be nice to hand out good grades across the board. (Except for you know who.)
Quarterbacks
Colt McCoy certainly racked up big numbers last night - 20-29 passing for 333 yards and 3 TDs. I wrote in my notes that Colt is throwing the ball with a lot more velocity than he was last season, but his accuracy is not as precise. We know that he spent a lot of time working on his body and arm strength this offseason, so he could be going through a bit of an adjustment phase in terms of being as accurate as he was now that he's throwing the ball harder. Overall, though, he was very good, making several absolutely perfect throws (including the dropped touchdown by Jamaal Charles).
And for the first week, we have other quarterbacks to talk about! John Chiles made his Texas debut last night and was mighty impressive running the zone read. He said after the game that he was extraordinarily nervous on his first few plays, but settled down after that. And did he ever. 9 rushes for 72 yards, but more than that, he ran that zone read play with Vondrell McGee to perfection. The coaches were wise to get Chiles significant action against Rice. They'd be fools not to continue to expand his usage in conference play. Even in tight games. Use your toys.
Sherrod Harris made an appearance in mop up duty, but didn't get a chance to do anything.
<INS>GRADE: A</INS>
Wide Receivers
There's not a lot to say that we don't already know. Limas Sweed is a tremendous football player, though I think Mack Brown was correct last night when he said Sweed's had some pretty bad luck so far this year. Sweed was impossible for Rice to handle last night, racking up 139 yards and two scores. Had he not inexplicably stepped out of bounds at the 3 yard line, he'd have had another.
One thing to note: Rice tried to cover Limas one-on-one, which is a mistake. Arkie State, TCU, and UCF all spent considerable capital taking Texas' deep passing game away by dropping into Cover-2 and keying in on Sweed, in particular. Rice did not, and they paid.
The other receivers had good evenings as well, though you hope Jordan Shipley makes that catch in the end zone next time. We're nitpicking, though. Texas had 20 receptions on the night averaging over 16 yards per completion. That's more like it.
<INS>GRADE: A-</INS>
Running Backs
The only two bad plays came in the first quarter, when Jamaal Charles fumbled and then later dropped a wide open bomb that would have been a touchdown. Other than that, it was all gravy for Texas' tailbacks. Charles had a solid evening overall, but especially near the goal line, where he hit his holes hard and got into the end zone three times. I want to take a moment to note how well Antwaan Cobb played at fullback, as well. He made several great blocks that sprung successful runs, made a big hit on special teams, and looked like a very useful part for the team to use.
Chris Ogbonnaya continues to give this team productive play, as well. He's not the team's best option as a rusher, but the coaches have wisely identified his strengths both as a blocker and pass catcher. The ball he hauled in off a play action release down the left sideline was not an easy one at all.
And what about Vondrell McGee? 8 carries, 84 yards, including a touchdown. He's got a serious motor, hits open space hard, hits tight spaces hard, and gets to top speed damn fast. Those who were clamoring for him in the preseason were right - he's a special runner. Texas needs to use him frequently.
Offensive Line
Well, we finally pushed around a defensive line that we were supposed to. The pass protection's been solid all year, but the run blocking last night was impressive. They got a big push at the LOS on both goal line touchdown runs and out-physicaled Rice throughout the game. We still need to see this group perform at a high level against a bigger and more athletic team, but they did a great job last night.
Let's note, too, that the coaches burned the redshirt of Tray Allen last night, as well. As thin as the line has become, they decided it was time. Probably smart.
Offensive Coaching
It's tempting just to emphasize how much better Texas is than Rice and scoff at any developments you see. While Texas' enormous edge in athleticism has to be noted, Greg Davis did exactly what we had been calling for him to do:
<INS>Stretch the field:</INS> After dinking and dunking throughout this season so far, Texas finally got going in the vertical passing game. It's an important ingredient to helping this offense work (including the running game), so I was happy to see us stretch things out significantly. That play to Jamaal Charles (dropped) was a beautifully designed play, and perfectly thrown by McCoy.
<INS>Play Chiles and McGee:</INS> They saw significant action. They tore it up. We even got a tiny taste of a Chiles package when McCoy's in the game. Now that their cherries have been popped, Davis should be more inclined to use them generously in the future. There's no excuse not to, now.
<INS>Improve the Scoring Zone offense:</INS> Much, much better. Texas' drives which entered the scoring zone while McCoy was quarterback:
ricescorezonedrives.bmp

Six trips to the scoring zone, with five touchdowns and a field goal. I'm sure BZ is charting all this with down and distance and all the rest, but it's pretty obvious that things worked well last night.
The key now, for Davis and Brown, is building on what they got to see tonight. Mack Brown is a conservative guy by nature, but the three awkward wins to start this year forced he and his coaches to do some things they're uncomfortable with. Now that Texas has put together a good game, though, it's critical that they not slip into bad habits.
For this week, though, a high mark for the staff.

Badgers Struggle, Get Lucky, Beat Iowa

Posted Sep 23rd 2007 9:30AM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Iowa Football, Wisconsin Football, Big 10
pj-hill3.jpg
Frankly, there's no way around the ending to last night's Iowa-Wisconsin Big Ten opener.

The Badgers were very fortunate to come away with a 17-13 victory.

Unlike the UNLV game, where the Badgers played very poorly and probably deserved to lose, this wasn't so much about Wisconsin playing poorly. It was about the play of Iowa's defensive front, which was dominant throughout the game.

The Hawkeyes didn't flash much offensively, scoring just one touchdown late in the first half, but they did put a scare into Wisconsin by winning some early battles for field position and not making any hideous mistakes with the football. New starting QB Jake Christensen was as advertised. He's not a glorious playmaker, but he's also content to not make a slew of mistakes in search of that one big play. The running game was hit-and-miss against Wisconsin, but was mainly "miss". Albert Young and Damian Sims each ripped off a couple nice runs, but Iowa was held to under 2.5 yards per rush attempt. Christensen hit less than half of his 37 pass attempts, but was victimized late (more on that in a moment) and didn't throw any interceptions. There were a couple passes that should have been intercepted (Matthew Shaughnessy and DeAndre Levy each dropped easy picks, showing why they were not converted to tight end at UW), but most of Christensen's incompletions were the classic "Throw it to where only your guy can catch it" plays.

Wisconsin struggled to move the ball throughout the first three quarters. Iowa's front four created tons of problems with their speed, quickness of the ball, and their technique. Ends Brian Mattison and Kenny Iwebema could not be stopped consistently, and tackle Mitch King was a monster. He probably got too much love from ABC announcers Brent Musberger and Kirk Herbstreit, but he was really good in this game. He was efficient against the run, and I'm sure Badger QB Tyler Donovan would have seen King in his sleep had Wisconsin lost this game.

However, the constant pounding of the Badgers' big line started to take a toll on the Hawkeyes late in the third quarter. P.J. Hill was finding running room, and Donovan would either have ample time to throw or a little more room to scramble. At one point in the second quarter, Wisconsin had a team total of minus-nine yards rushing, but they managed to end the game with a respectable 166 on 49 attempts. Much of that came in a span of about 20 minutes at the end of the game, once Iowa began to wear down along their defensive front.

It was after that last scoring drive, which led to a Taylor Mehlhaff field goal, that Wisconsin got some good fortune. Iowa's last drive started with Levy's dropped interception, and then got very interesting. Iowa receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, who earlier had won a handfight with Wisconsin's Jack Ikegwuonu for a touchdown, got loose down the right sideline on second down. On the play, he slipped and had trouble beating CB Allen Langford's jam at the line of scrimmage, and Christensen's pass was overthrown. On fourth down, receiver Paul Chaney, Jr., got free behind three Wisconsin defenders, but was tripped by a turf monster and couldn't get to Christensen's seemingly-perfect pass. Wisconsin was able to survive two plays that should have been touchdowns on Iowa's last chance with the ball, and because of it, the Badgers stretch the nation's longest winning streak to 13.

Hill finished the game at 113 yards with a score, and backup Lance Smith got loose for a huge 30-yard run on Wisconsin's last scoring drive. Donovan threw a first-half interception, but was okay when called upon and given some time to make a decision. Frankly, this game wasn't so much about Wisconsin playing bad football, and it would be wrong not to give a ton of credit to Iowa's defensive front for playing a great game. I think we've seen that Iowa is not going to win 35-31 football games this season. They just aren't built to do that on offense. However, they have the kind of defense that can keep them in every game and possibly lead them to an upset or two.

Wisconsin (4-0) hosts Michigan State (4-0) Saturday in Madison. I'd love to tell you when the game will be played, or where it will be televised, but that hasn't been announced yet.

Tennessee 48, Arkansas State 27: early thoughts
By Joel Section: Arkansas State Indians
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 07:32:53 AM EDT
</I>

• The offense looked fantastic most of the game. Erik Ainge was on target and in command, except for one mysterious interception that was returned for a touchdown. LaMarcus Coker got the bulk of the carries in the running game and also looked good.
  • The defense looked much improved at times. The line got a good deal of pressure on the quarterback, and the secondary got its hands on the ball a lot. It's now more a problem of consistency. Run defense is still suspect, and there were still several missed tackles and opportunities, including at least two passes that should have been intercepted for scores but weren't. Berry is the team's best tackler by far and quite possibly the best defender period. It looks like we're beginning to get some of the right players onto the field.
  • The receivers were finally getting behind the secondary. Lucas Taylor had another very good night and the highlight of the game -- a one-handed deep grab to set up the first touchdown.
  • The secondary is beginning to come together, with DeAngelo Willingham joining Marsalous Johnson, Eric Berry, and Jonathan Hefney. Brent Vinson also saw a good deal of action. Hefney's beginning to look like just one of the guys instead of the leader. Johnson left the game with a chest contusion, which could be a real blow.
  • It was really good to see so many of the new guys on the field. Willingham and Berry were all over the place in the secondary. Vinson's and Nevin McKenzie's names were called a lot. Running back Lennon Creer got nine carries. Ben Martin also saw some action.
  • Overall, it was a good game for the Vols. Enough improvement to bring some optimism back into the season.

Cox turns boos to cheers

Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/trackingtigersabout.html"]Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times[/URL] September 23, 2007 1:45 AM

When Brandon Cox churned into the end zone on a quarterback sneak for the touchdown that gave Auburn a 42-20 lead over New Mexico State in the third quarter, the chant began. It grew louder and spread around Jordan-Hare Stadium.
"Brandon! Brandon! Brandon!"
It was a far cry from a week earlier, when Cox was booed after throwing his second interception in a 19-14 loss from Mississippi State. It was a dramatic turnaround from last Sunday, when he was told freshman Kodi Burns would probably be the starter in against New Mexico State.
When it was over, when Auburn had won 55-20 and Cox had looked like the quarterback who was a big winner in the previous two seasons, he could laugh.
"It was probably still the same ones that were booing," Cox said. "Like I said, they are with you when you are doing good and booing you when you are doing bad."
But in the most difficult week of his college football career, Cox had already learned that there were plenty of people inside and outside the Auburn football program who cared, who respected what he had done and how he had done it.
"It's been a very stressful week from me," Cox said. "I've dealt with it the best I could. I had a lot of support from my teammates and coaches. They kept telling me they believed in me and that my time would come. I didn't know if it would be this game or three games from now, but it came and I took advantage of it. It's just a big relief."
Fans wrote him letters and sent him emails with the same message.
"I had a lot of fans write me throughout the week," Cox said. "I had a lot of letters and emails supporting me. I think I only had maybe two bad ones. Most people wrote and told me they believed in me and were the true Auburn fans. You saw some of them tonight."
Cox's night of redemption didn't start out so well. He replaced Burns with 10:24 left in the second quarter and the score tied at 14. Jason Bosley's snap bounced off his hands, into the air and to the ground. NMSU recovered and scored on the next play to take a 20-14 lead.
"I didn't know what to do after that," Cox said. "I've been taking snaps from Bosley for two years now. I really didn't even think about taking snaps to warm up with him, and it cost me. But we recovered and it ended up pretty good."
Yes, it did. Cox finished 13-19 for 135 yards and a touchdown. He did not throw an interception. When pressure came, he hit hot receivers. And he was a winner again.
When Cox left for good early in the fourth quarter with Auburn up 48-22, he and a ball-hawking defense had led the Tigers to 34 unanswered points. Redshirt freshman Mario Fannin, overcoming some demons of his own, sprinted 67 yards for the final touchdown, his third of the game, with 22 seconds left. Fannin had lost three fumbles in the previous two games.
Though Burns had led two touchdown drives, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville sensed it was time to give Cox his chance. Maybe, just maybe, Cox found his game just in time for next Saturday's trip to play Florida in the Swamp.
"I want to brag on Brandon Cox for what he has been through," Tuberville said. "He brought us back, showed poise and showed a lot of class. That is what Auburn is about. I hope a lot of people saw that. That is exactly what it is about. He's a gutsy young man who took a lot the last couple of weeks, but came back. If it hadn't been for him, we would have been in a little bit of trouble tonight."
It seems virtually certain that Cox reclaimed his place as Auburn's starter, though Burns is likely to also have a role as Auburn heads into the meat of its schedule.
"Well, we will look at the film," Tuberville said. "We will want to play both of them, but obviously, he did a pretty good job. I imagine he will be the guy who goes first next week."

Sunday Morning Notes - The Leach Tirade Edition
By Seth C Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 07:38:10 AM EDT
</I>

DTN News:
I thought about writing last night, but was still too frustrated. For right now, I plan on working on game reviews, but will do the offense and defense separately. I've got some chores around the house to tend to after church, but other than that I'll be in front of my computer.
One other thing that I should probably disclose. Yes, I am freaking pissed. I try to not to put too many expletives on the front page in case you have filters at work that would preclude you from reading DTN. You guys can let the expletives fly in the comments section, just so long as you are not hateful to one another or racist, etc. There's never any reason to be hateful here, we all want the same thing, success for our Red Raiders. There will be very few times that you'll be censored here and it's the, "I'll know it when I see it," standard.
I am going to completely ignore Northwestern State for the most part and focus on the debacle in Stillwater. It's inexcusable and perhaps debatable that this loss to OSU was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen. The NW State game will not be a measure of out team in any way shape or form, we won't be able to tell if the defense has improved, so there's no point previewing it or discussing it in my opinion.
As I woke up at 5:00 a.m. I considered not linking to any stories this morning, but Coach Leach has opened a can of worms.
Texas Tech Football:
I've always thought that a football coach gets one bite at the apple with a group. In other words, he gets one opportunity to publicly berate his team without it ripping apart a team. Last year it was TCU where Leach tore his team a new one and this year it's OSU.
All three papers have essentially the same story, you can take your pick of the DMN, the FWST, the SAEN, or the LAJ here and here.
Let's start with some quotes from Coach Leach. The quotes I'm pulling are from the DMN article:
One thing to note before we get to the quotes, there's not a single quote from Coach Setensuck and I have to wonder where he was after the game. Perhaps he was told not to talk to the media or perhaps he was too embarrassed to talk to the media. We'll see if we can locate any quotes this week.
Let's take these one at a time.
"This is going to hurt some feelings," Leach said, "but the long story short is I'm not doing as good a job shepherding this as I could. But what we had in this game is an offense that was extremely powerful, extremely productive that probably sits and reads their press clippings, and in arrogant fashion, set around the sidelines with their arms folded for most of the second half.
This is Leach's only shot at the offense. There is going to be a lot of blame to go around, but I'm not going to put blame on the offense. An offense shouldn't be expected to 52 or 60 points in a game. Granted, I understand that Leach may expect that, but it's not realistic. Leach sees his offense as an unstoppable machine, but sometimes I don't think he accounts for human error and that these are kids running the show. They are going to make mistakes, but because there was 45 points on the board, I can't hardly blame the offense for their inability to score in the 2nd half.
Notice that there's only one shot at the offense so I get the feeling that Leach's comments were certainly premeditated and he doesn't want this to turn into an offense v. defense situation, but it's obvious that it is. Not to mention, I think that Leach by nature is a very introspective person, in that he's constantly looking for flaws in what he produces, which is the offense. He seems like the kind of guy who is never satisfied, which I think is a great quality for a coach.
That being said, I think Leach is at the boiling point for the defense.
Next from Coach Leach:
"Defensively, the entire first half, we got hit in the mouth and acted like someone took our lunch money, and all we wanted to do is have pouty expressions on our face until somebody dobbed our little tears off and made us [expletive] feel better. Then we go out there and try harder once our mommies told us we were OK. Neither one of those things is acceptable."
How embarrassed do you think he is that he's got a defense that's just not tough enough? I think he's incredibly embarrassed. The defense was absolutely man-handled by OSU and their guys were just tougher than ours. So here we have Leach identifying the problem. He doesn't think it's talent, but he doesn't think that these guys are being grown-ass-men and they're being pushed around as if they didn't have any pride whatsoever.
"We start by addressing it and call it what it is. I think perhaps I've candy-coated some of this a little too much in the past," Leach said. "Second of all, as coaches, you put pressure on yourself to improve because ultimately the blame lies there.
The solution . . . is a little cryptic. What exactly is he talking about "candy-coating". Is he talking about the fact that he tends to gloss over the defense, and not put as much preparation into their performance as he does the offense? (I'm not even sure if that's an accurate question to ask because I've never watched a practice). I've never heard Coach Leach completely call out his coaching staff, but he sure as hell is here. I know that Leach will go to great lengths to improve whatever deficiencies there are in the offense, but if Setensuck is in charge of the defense then is he laying that blame squarely at the feet of Lyle? It sounds like he is to me.
It sounds like to me that Setensuck and the entire defensive staff better get their act together, real quick.
"The third thing that you do is anybody who is not on board, you get rid of them. It doesn't matter if it's a player or a coach or somebody in the background or some support staff. If they're not on board, you get rid of them. It's all very simple."
I'm not even going to speculate who he's talking about here, but it sounds like Leach is ready to cut bait with whoever isn't on board and not being a member of that staff or that locker room, it's hard to say who he's talking about.
It's going to be interesting as hell to see what happens in the next two weeks.

From thewizardofodds.blogspot.com:

Gundy, Leach Go Off After Cowboys Win

You won't find any quotes today from Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy talking about the Cowboys' 49-45 victory over Texas Tech. After the game, Gundy went on a 3:38 tirade over a column by the Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson about Bobby Reid, who was replaced as Oklahoma State's starting quarterback before Saturday's game.

"If anybody hasn't read this article,” Gundy began as he held up a copy of the sports page of the Oklahoman, "I think this is worth reading. Three-fourths of this is inaccurate. It's fiction. And this article embarrasses me to be involved with athletics.

"That article had to have been written by a person that doesn't have a child. And has never had a child that has had their heart broken and come home upset and had to deal with a child when he is upset. And kick a person when he's down."

Gundy left without taking questions.

Turns out, the fireworks were just beginning. Next up was Texas Tech's Mike Leach, who ripped his team.

Leach said: "This is going to hurt some feelings ... but here's what we had this game. What we had this game was we had an offense that was extremely powerful, extremely productive, that probably sits and reads their press clippings, and then in arrogant fashion, sat around the sidelines with their arms folded for most of the second half.

"And then defensively, the entire first half, we got hit in the mouth and acted like somebody took our lunch money and all we wanted to do was have pouty expressions on our faces until somebody daubed our tears off made us [expletive] feel better. Then we'd go out there and try harder after our mommies told us we were OK.

"Well, neither one of those things is acceptable."

You can listen to Gundy's tirade on the Oklahoman site by clicking here, or by clicking here.

A Meaningless Sleepy Win
By Nestor Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 02:08:43 AM EDT
</I>

Dear God. We beat up on a really bad football team tonight.

As I said last week, the Bruins could beat Washington even with Ed Kezerian coaching the football team. And I wasn't too far off.

Bruins beat up on a really awful Husky team at the Rose Bowl:

Markey.Washington.07.jpg

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Gus Ruelas (ESPN)

The final score was 44-35 with big days from Markey, Bell, Cowan, Slater, and, as always, our FG kicker. Yet, the offense, defense, and the special team still looked Dorrellian. It's just that they were taking on another pathetic football team.

Obviously, the big question is who is going to be our QB next weekend. But it doesn't matter, because we know the Thinker is going to get some good sleep tonight!

Anyways, we will have more tomorrow. But, as I sad earlier today, beating up on a crappy team like Washington team means absolutely NOTHING. Any BTW, this just in: UNLV beats Utah by a score of 27-0.

Speaking of sleeping, I need to go. It's late around my neck of the woods.

The thread is all yours.

GO BRUINS.

I'm done with his shit
By JazzyUte Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 01:24:34 AM EDT
</I>

Losing to freaking UNLV? Getting shut out by UNLV? Getting embarrassed by UNLV? BULLSHIT! No excuses for this type of play. Kyle Whittingham is a joke, a complete moron that couldn't coach Utah to a win over a bunch of 90 year old broads.
This game is an indefensible embarrassment of monumental proportions. I'm more enraged than the fucking hulk on 'roids. Right now I'm making Chris Benoit look rational. I never once thought I would see the day Utah football would be shut out by UNLV. UNLV, the school the Utes had not lost to since the days of Wayne Freaking Howard. UNLV, a junior college-lite school in a town that doesn't give two shits about football. UNLV, a team that had won only 5 games the past two years. Just a complete and utter humiliation at the hands of one of the worst teams in the conference. I hope Kyle enjoys coaching the rest of the season, because I think it will be his last.
Thank you Kyle for taking an elite non-BCS team and turning it into the laughing stock of the college football landscape. You ruined a program that had finally found its way into the national spotlight, but what's worse, you sent it back to an era of futility that hasn't been experienced up on the Hill since the days of big hair, spandex and a normal Michael Jackson. You're a joke and you should resign tomorrow, but I doubt you will, because you're a pathetic clown.

Worrisome Win

Thanks to the brilliance of ESPN's director of programming (they allocate 3 hrs. for every 3.5-4hr. game), our Boilers fourth contest of '07 was televised on ESPN Classic, for a quarter. In case you missed the first segment, you missed quite a bit.

On the first kickoff, a new face was set deep to aid Dorien Bryant (Sheets will no longer return kickoffs due to poor depth at RB)- Desmond Tardy. So, what did Purdue's #3 kick returner do when he got the opportunity to return a kickoff? Not much...he only ran that kickoff back for a 90 yd. (approx.) touchdown. The defense started strong, again and stopped the Gophers a few times and the Painter-led offense started sharp again.

Cliff Avril had one of the best defensive plays of the year by batting a pass up in the air, gathering it and getting to the end zone...It's great, for me, to see Avril come up big as I've heard quite a few Purdue fans express their disgruntlement with Cliff while comparing him to previous Boiler DEs. He showed on this play that he's pretty darned good.

Painter looked sharp most of the day, although he did throw his first interception of the season but threw 3 more touchdowns and over 300 yards, again. Dorien Bryant was a bright spot, with two TDs and Sheets rushed for over 100 yds. and had two TDs himself.

The most interesting, and possibly, most important play of the game occurred in the second quarter. Purdue tried to attempt a 45-yd. field goal which was blocked...A Minnesota DB picked up the ball and began pulling away from Jared Armstrong (who holds on field goals). For no apparent reason, the Minnesota player tried to change the ball over to his right hand and put it on the turf. Since Armstrong stayed with the play, he jumped on it and the Boilers got the ball back.

So, if Tardy doesn't run back the kickoff and 15 on Mini is able to secure the ball, it's a different game. But, "couldas" don't matter...and our Boilers are 4-0.

My main reason for worry is the fact that the 2006 defense showed up, yet again, for an entire half of football (much like last week). Hopefully, there's a reason for such lack-luster play...But, I believe the reason is the scheme and the scheme-r. I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, the black and gold will get rolled by UM et al later in the season.

Heck, a very wise sage that I know says, "UND's offense looks horrible. Sadly, I believe the only cure for such poor play is a Spack-coached defense." We shall see.

4-0, and what do we know? Very little as our Boilers have still not played a respectable opponent. That said, I'm awfully happy that my alma mater is undefeated.

What we’re hearing on the injury front

Saturday, September 22, 2007, 11:39 PM
Splicing together what team officials are saying about the various injured Longhorns:
— Cornerback Brandon Foster probably could have played. He tweaked his quad during practice and again during pregame warmups. He was kept out just in case.
— Linebacker Sergio Kindle’s knee injury isn’t thought to be serious, but he might miss a game.
— Defensive end Eddie Jones’ shoulder injury isn’t thought to be serious.
— The team hopes to get defensive end Brian Orakpo back soon, perhaps for next week’s game against Kansas State.

Breaking News: Blame chart made public

muppet.jpg

By Muppet Newscaster
ESPN News

This is a Muppet News Flash! Hot on the heels of Notre Dame falling to 0-4 for the first time in the school's history, officials have decided to finally release the long rumored Hierarchy of Blame blaming chart for Fighting Irish fans. By simply following this handy chart, fans will be able to properly direct their anger in proper, university approved, scapegoats, while observing their relative importances and overall culpability.

The chart begins at the top with his Holiness, Colonel Sanders, and Regis Philbin, as established originally by Vatican II. The following tier includes the Worldwide Leader, Colonel Mustard, Monk Malloy, and former QB Demetrius Jones. Following that tier is the tertiary level, including Phil Collins, transvestite street performers, Illinois Germans, and Al Swearengen. Finally, once all options are exhausted, including related scapegoats implied by chart members, former head coach Lionel Tyrone Willingham.

This has been a Muppet News Flash.

Postgame React: A Fun Saturday Night, Finally

by HornsFan Sat Sep 22, 2007 at 11:49:27 PM EDT

<CENTER>The Eyes of Texas

<IFRAME src="http://www.byoaudio.com/playweb?audioid=P16f41ec24167cae6cf6be2fca1848198YVx4R1REYmN1&buffer=5&fc=FF9900&pc=FFFFFF&kc=888800&bc=FFFFFF&player=ap22" frameBorder="" width=128 scrolling=no height=40></IFRAME>
</CENTER>
Report cards tomorrow and Monday, but let's get the immediate reaction underway.
The outcome was: Exactly what we needed. 42-24 would have led to more hand wringing. 58-14, with Rice's second touchdown coming against our seventeenth string? What we hoped for. This was a great outcome.
The Offensive MVP was: Everyone? The offense performed well. I've got nice things to say about Colt McCoy, Limas Sweed, Nate Jones, Jamaal Charles, John Chiles, Vondrell McGee, Chris Ogbonnaya, Quan Cosby... the list is honestly too long. This group played well.
The Defensive MVP was: Let's give it to Lamarr Houston, who was simply phenomenal. If you prefer, we could give it to the young linebackers, who were infinitely better than their upperclassmen starters. The defense was good tonight.
The offensive Offensive Player Of The Week was: No comment. I was too pleased with everyone to single out someone as a goat. The whole offense deserves kudos for coming out and taking care of business tonight.
The offensive Defensive Player Of The Week was: Once again, the veteran linebackers. It was comical how much better our defense was - even against Rice - when the young unit was in. Sorry, Robert, Scott, and Rashaad - your understudies are better.
John Chiles Watch: Hello! 9 carries, 72 yards. Two beautiful touchdown drives. Silky smooth moves. General pimpitity. Basically, the kid looks great out there. Let's hope the coaches watch the tape and think to themselves, "My oh my, what a delightful toy we have to play with here..."
Vondrell McGee Watch: 8 carries, 80 yards, including a touchdown. He's for real, people. He goes from zero to in your face in no time at all. He's physical, runs downhill, hits holes, makes holes - all that good stuff. He, JC, and OG make one hell of a strong trio at the tailback position.
Oklahoma Fear Factor: 6 out of 10.... (5) is the baseline. (+1) for Tulsa's bag of offensive fun wasn't nearly enough. (+1) for I'm still not sure who covers Malcolm Kelly. (-1) for there's now hope that the young LBs are winning the day. (+1) for Kindle got hurt. (-1) for Colt McCoy finally outplayed Sam Bradford. (+1) for Oklahoma's offensive line is impressing me. (-1) for Chiles/McGee maybe earning chances to play.
Heading into next week I feel: Damn hopeful, finally. Not because we beat Rice, but because the best talent on the roster saw the field. I suppose we shouldn't get too carried away - the coaches could shelve things next week - but it's hard to imagine watching the tape of this game and coming away with any other feeling besides, "The young guys people are clamoring for can help this team be great, instead of good." I'm very encouraged.
Celebrate tonight, Longhorn fans. Not only did we see stuff tonight that should make us feel really good about the 2007 team, but we saw a lot that should make us feel good about 2008 and '09. Again - it's not that we beat Rice. It's that we beat Rice with players who make you whistle at the TV. Colt, Limas, and Jamaal all looked good. The D-Line was outstanding again. The young guys - from Houston to Muckelroy to Chiles to McGee - they all kicked ass.

Is Kentucky for Real?

Posted Sep 22nd 2007 11:46PM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: SEC, Arkansas Football, Kentucky Football
rich-brooks-smirk-180.jpg
It's starting to look like it. Although sloppy at ties against Arkansas, the Wildcats prevailed late 42-29 on the strength of 21 fourth quarter points.

Louisville's utter inability to stop anyone and today's loss throws that victory into question, but the 'Cats just beat a solid Arkansas team with perhaps the Heisman Trophy winner in its backfield. Fans won't like the 302 combined rushing yards surrendered to McFadden and Felix Jones, but here's a more important number:

28 to 9

That's the margin the 'Cats outscored Arkansas in the second half. That effort pushes their record to 4-0 with Florida Atlantic and South Carolina on the horizon before showdowns with LSU and Florida. At worst this now looks like a four-loss season if the 'Cats fall to those two as well as Georgia and Tennessee. Legitimacy edges them closer to ten wins.

What say you? Is this team legit?

Auburn's Lester to return Oct. 6

Posted: Friday September 21, 2007 9:21PM; Updated: Friday September 21, 2007 9:21PM

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- Suspended Auburn running back Brad Lester has been cleared by the NCAA to return to the field for the Vanderbilt game on Oct. 6.
Auburn said Friday that Lester was cleared after being on indefinite suspension since the Cotton Bowl for unspecified academic issues. He missed the Tigers' first three games.
"I'm happy to have this behind me," Lester said. "I'm looking forward to moving on and playing in the Vanderbilt game."
Lester led Auburn (1-2) with nine touchdowns last season, gaining 510 yards as Kenny Irons' backup. He will miss Saturday's game against New Mexico State and the following week at No. 3 Florida.
Without him and injured Tristan Davis, the Tigers' running game has relied almost solely on sophomore Ben Tate and redshirt freshman Mario Fannin, who has lost three fumbles in the past two games, both losses. Auburn is ninth in the Southeastern Conference in rushing offense, averaging 134 yards per game with only three total touchdowns.
"I'm proud of Brad's patience and how he's handled this throughout the process," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "We're excited that we'll have him back on the playing field in the near future."

<H1 class=red>Tulane player booked in stabbing

</H1>Police: Attack knife found in home

Saturday, September 22, 2007 By Laura Maggi

New Orleans police arrested Tulane University football player Ray Boudreaux on Friday morning in connection with a stabbing on Bourbon Street last weekend that left five people wounded, including a man who remains in critical condition at University Hospital.
Boudreaux, 22, arrested at his home in Metairie by 8th District detectives, was booked with five counts of attempted first-degree murder. The knife police believe was used in the stabbings was found at his home, said Sgt. Joe Narcisse, a spokesman for the New Orleans Police Department.
The Green Wave running back and kick returner, a senior from Abbeville, was suspended by the university after his arrest, according to a written statement. He cannot attend classes or play football.
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/S/SPSP/@StoryAd"></SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=420 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=383> [FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Advertisement[/FONT]
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=85></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=420 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=410 bgColor=#e7efef>
spacer.gif

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/N3880.SD129776.3880/B2160587.174;dcadv=1134329;dcove=o;sz=300x250;ord=794161638?"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
B2160587.174;dcadv=1134329;dcove=o;sz=300x250;ord=794161638
</NOSCRIPT>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=10></TD></TR><TR><TD width=420 colSpan=2>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) {document.write('<IFRAME WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDERCOLOR="#000000" SRC="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_sx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/S/SPSP/@StoryAd"></IFRAME>');}--></SCRIPT> <NOSCRIPT>
@StoryAd
</NOSCRIPT>
The stabbing took place Sunday just before 6 a.m., after two groups of people were ejected for fighting from the Utopia nightclub, Narcisse said. Boudreaux was with one other man, while the other group was four men and a woman.
After the fight spilled out onto the street, Boudreaux pulled a knife and began stabbing the five people in the opposing group, police said. The stabbing was captured in a surveillance camera videotape that police released on Wednesday.
Boudreaux was recognized on the video by somebody who called in a tip, Narcisse said. Two of the stabbing victims subsequently picked Boudreaux out of a photo lineup of six mug shots.
The video shows a man wearing a red T-shirt and jeans stalking down the street, clenching a knife in his right fist, with the blade pointed down. A woman can be seen trying to hold back another man, while bystanders hurry away as the man in the red shirt approaches.
One man is knocked down in a scuffle, with another man hovering over him. At least four people grapple by the side of the street and the man with the knife swings his arm at least three times.
A 24-year-old man who was stabbed in the neck and chest is still in critical condition at University Hospital, Narcisse said. A 22-year-old woman, a 25-year-old man, a 27-year-old man and a 35-year-old man suffered wounds that are not considered life-threatening. Three of those people have been released from the hospital.
Police have found no motive for the violent altercation.
"We talked to both sides; both gave us different stories about what precipitated the fight," Narcisse said, adding that the people involved have been pointing fingers at each other. Boudreaux's bail was set at $500,000, according to court records.
Contacted at her home in Abbeville, Boudreaux's mother, Jean Smith, declined to talk about the arrest. "I'm just following the lead of his university. I have no comment," she said.
Boudreaux played in Tulane's game Saturday at the Superdome against the University of Houston, as well as in the Mississippi State game on Sept. 8.
His biography on the Green Wave football Web site lists Boudreaux as a social science major with a minor in psychology. Boudreaux made the Conference USA Academic Honor Roll four times.

Ball State Profanity Free Post Game Overreaction

by corn blight Sat Sep 22, 2007 at 04:06:53 PM EDT

In the interest of full-disclosure, I didn't get to watch this game. I had some Dish Network problems early, and by the time I got them fixed, the game was well under way. I spent the game listening to Jim Rose.
It's been a weird year all over. Michigan sucks. Notre Dame wishes they sucked as bad as Michigan. Louisville failing. Teams like Wisconsin and Texas dancing with suckage.
Nebraska didn't just dance with suckage. We courted it last week and this week we almost married it.
Sam Keller had a nice day. Marlon Lucky had a nice day, as did the receiving corps. Unfortunately, the offensive line proved we can't run the ball even against an undersized defense.
And all of that doesn't matter because we gave up 422 yards in the air to Nate Davis - 214 of that to a single receiver, Nate Love. We gave up over 600 yards of total offense. Don't believe the spew about how good a team Ball State is. We're suddenly in the business of making teams look incredible. That our defense played this badly is indefensible.
We have an illness, and we have two weeks to cure it. Bill Callahan's consistent, redundant answer to any injury question best describes this Husker team:
Day to Day
One of my real-life vices is that I swear too much. I worked hard to keep it out of this post. Really hard.

No Change In "The Situation"
By Nestor Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 12:37:37 PM EDT
</I>

The Sleeping Beauty beats up on one of the worst teams in the Pac-10 (a team which UCLA has beaten now 6 times in a row at the Rose Bowl even with stooges such as Toledo and the Thinker), and right on cue the morons in the MSM are eating up the "rebound" storyline. Check out the headlines: Neither Foster (LAT) nor Dohn (DN) bothered to look up the fact this "rebound" came against a joke team, which has the WORST DEFENSE in the Pac-10, to go along with its bottom of the barrel 7th ranked offense [See DI Stats]

To say that somehow Dorrell's program has "rebounded" from winning this game is like saying the "surge" is working based on cherry picking from one month's stats in Iraq. Not only it is foolish and moronic, it is dishonest and insincere, and an insult to the intelligence of UCLA community who follow our program day to day.

We didn't see anything new last night. We saw the same team we have been watching for last few years. A team that is boring and below average in all facets of game (except in the department of FG kicking). Here are some of my thoughts from last night's game.

Our Mediocre Defense

So we have seen our incredibly hyped D take on 4 average to horrendous team and they still look mediocre to average just like their DC.

I am sorry I didn't find anything impressive about a D that gave up 31 points to a below average Pac-10 offense led by somewhat over hyped freshman QB (who I have more on below).

Washington's running game was a joke. I wasn't all that impressed with our D line shutting down a predictable running game (very Dorrellian) that featured a RB (Rankin) who seemed slower than Markey.

And yet despite their advantage in physical talent our safeties were getting routinely burned by Husky receivers, which could have been fatal if not for a clutch special teams play by Matthew Slater.

Another thing about our defense. They are undisciplined. They talk and showboat a little too much for being the 6th ranked defense in the Pac-10 [See D I Stats]. It is really embarrassing.

It is embarrassing to see Dennis Keyes hot dog into the end zone, given what an awful season he has had to date. I know what you are thinking. Why am I easy on Olson why giving Dennis and our defensive guys a hard time. Because these guys showboat and talk a little too much (unlike Olson) for being a mediocre to below average unit.

If these guys were playing under a coach like Howland, that kind of nonsense would never happened. Remember how Howland came down on Shipp last year for showing off a little on a fast break, when he blew a slam dunk instead of laying it in.

The way our defense acts on the field it gives the impression that they are as good as those Hurricane defense from the 90s, when the reality is they have looked below average against a group of opponent who have a combined record of 4-8 this season.

It's a joke.

Boring Offense

As I said above our offensive "explosion" last night came against the worst defense in the Pac-10. There is nothing we can really take from last night.

Yeah, Markey and Bell had good nights, as our OL finally found a pathetic DL to overpower. But just like the Stanford game, it really tells us noting.

I think it was telling that when the Law Firm came in, and Dorrell could have given his inexperienced QB an opportunity to throw, he instead opted for his RB to throw a pass into the endzone. Tells you all you need to know about how much confidence KD has in this kid.

And now that we look back it, gee it would have been nice if Dorrell inserted the Law Firm during the last few mins of the Stanford and the Utah game, and give him some valuable reps. But of course that didn't happen. Because Dorrell is a doofus.

He was also being a doofus when after FINALLY for the first time in his 4+ pathetic years in Westwood, his team mounts a first half ending 2 minute drive, and instead of going for a 57 yard field goal, he went for a hail marry which had no chance. You'd think it'd be smart to go with the leg of a kicker, who is hitting his stride, and perhaps go into the locker room with a 3 point lead. Nope. KD made the wrong decisions again. Like I said he is a doofus.

The Quarterback "Situation"

After last night I have the sense that if Dorrell is allowed to stick around for one more year he will ruin someone's career: it will be either Olson's or Cowans. The Thinker got bailed out last night by Cowan's unfortunate injury. Pretty clear now that Olson will start next weekend. But checkout how the Thinker handled the question (via DN linked above):
Cowan's long-term status was in question, too, although it appears he will be out for next weekend at Oregon State. He declined comment after the game, but his injury left walk-on redshirt freshman McLeod Bethel-Thompson running UCLA's offense.

"The quarterback situation is, there is no situation until we get to talk about the situation," UCLA coach Karl Dorrell said.
We can say that same thing about the Sleeping Beauty's joke of a career at UCLA. He has put DG into the same "situation" until the season is over or when it becomes clear whether or not UCLA will win the Pac-10 championship (we are 2-0!!! Woohoo!!!!) for the first time since 1998.

The Positives

Okay there were couple of positives from last night. I have mentioned them in the previous section. Matthew Slater's TD was the difference maker. He saved the day for the Sleeping Beauty.

Ben Howland: Coach Howland's appearance in the FSN booth was the only shining moment of the entire night during the usual horrific performances of Tompkins and Petros. It was nice to hear the voice of an actual "college coach" instead of the clown on the UCLA sidelines. And coincidentally when Howland showed up, the Bruins drove the field (thanks to a Toledo like trick place) and scored a TD.

OMG Jake Locker Is The Bomb Dude!

Uh no. Not yet. This is the third time I have seen this kid play. I think he will end being a very good and may be even a great QB. He has all the tools he needs to be a successful QB, and if TY doesn't stunt his development with his sh!tty WCO, he will go on to become successful. But the Puppies need to calm down their their excitement a bit. Because based on what I have seen so far, he reminds me lot more of Brock Huard than Cade McNowne. Cade and Brock came into college the same time (Cade committed to UCLA after Brock committed to UDub. Brock was the more hyped recruit). Yet it was Cade who went on to become a complete QB with a total package with his passing, running, and that fearless mentality to slam right into and deck opposing LBs. Locker has the toughness, but he has ways to go to even match where Cade was his freshman year in terms of passing abilities.

No Change In Big Picture

Going back to our team. As I have said, nothing has changed. We are in holding pattern. We still look like an average to below average typical Dorrellian team. We look mediocre in all aspects of the game except when it comes to FG kicking. And despite the beat reporters usual lame job of not writing the obvious, there are some people who are thinking out loud what we have been talking about. From Waldner in the Daily News:
Just one problem for Dorrell. Guerrero, a realist who must generate income to cover a 22-sport athletic department budget, knows the bottom line is winning. Not just winning occasionally. Winning frequently.

Dorrell was 29-21 in his four previous seasons with the Bruins. Far from pathetic. Also far, very far, from exciting.

Dorrell was 10-2 in 2005. Scratch that year and he entered this season with a 19-19 record. Unimpressive. Very unimpressive. The more you examine the program the more it appears 10-2 was an aberration.

The bottom, as in rock bottom, was hit a week ago with an embarrassing (Dorrell's word) loss to Utah.

"We're not going to make this a state of the program type of thing," Dorrell said at the start of the week.

Sorry, Karl, another harsh reality is that it's not your decision.
And then Waldner ends with this:
Speculation already has started. Bruins insiders think - Dorrell's NFL resume to the contrary - Guerrero has another NFL assistant in mind. Others think he is looking at a coach at a smaller college program. Common sense dictates he take a hard look at USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian.
Obviously we are going to be against having a Trojan Mouse such as Sarkisian taking over our head coaching position. But that's beside the point. The fact that the speculation like this has made way from message boards to MSM, is a big sign.

And it points how will most likely get a head coach, if Pac-10 championship is not on the line (I am talking for UCLA) heading into our last game of this season.

That is why as far as the big picture is concerned there has been no change in "the situation."

But no worries the Thinker is getting his beauty sleep.

Have a great Sunday.

GO BRUINS.

Team Grades: Week 4

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Another week, more grades:

A+:

Oklahoma-Man, these guys are so good. When Bradford tossed the pick, I thought it might be close, but another opponent up, a 40-point drubbing, and the Sooners will go on with their day.

Syracuse-Even though the Orange defense was awful, these guys get an A+ for winning their first game of the year. Wow. It really is amazing when you get drubbed by Washington, Illinois, and Iowa and then you come out and beat Louisville in Papa John's Stadium where they're almost unbeatable. Kragthorpe is feeling the heat and Greg Robinson's seat just got a little cooler. Taj Smith averaged 43.3 yards per catch.

Ohio State-Man, is Northwestern this bad? Good Lord. Either that, or Ohio State finally has awakened from the doldrums of averageness. They really didn't even do that much offensively with 396 yards of total offense, but the defense gave up 0 rushing yards and 120 yards of total offense.

UCF-It's possible that these guys, not Southern Miss, are the favorites to win the division this year. George O'Leary was confident that this would be one of his better teams, and he's probably correct. Even though they turned the ball over 3 times, this performance was so dominating that it's worthy of an A+.

Texas-The Longhorns finally woke up against pathetic Rice. They're looking like a D2 team with the way they've been playing, but McCoy was on fire for 333 yards. The Owls could only get -11 rushing yards against Texas.

Kansas-The Jayhawks hung another merciless 50-pointer on a defenseless foe. FIU did some things offensively, but Kansas just breezed through this game.

USC-The Trojans looked great again for the second straight week led by John David Booty's 4 TD passes. It was a close game for the first quarter, but USC really opened it up in the second quarter.

UNLV-Utah has some issues, but give UNLV some love for pitching a shutout. The Rebels pretty much played Utah to a draw on the stats sheet, but it was a matter of capitalizing. Frank Summers was excellent as they pulled off the upset against Utah.

Colorado-Miami OH isn't terrible, but Colorado finally exploded offensively. Dan Hawkins has been miserable over his first season and three games as head coach of the Buffaloes, but, out of NOWHERE, Colorado took off for 634 yards! This is stunning. And the defense was awesome keeping Miami OH underneath the 200-yard mark. Absolute domination.

USF-The Bulls totally dominated North Carolina in this game. The USF defense was too overpowering for the Tar Heels, but USF also found a way to manage getting 428 yards of total offense.

Miami-The Hurricanes dismantled Texas A&M with relative ease. The offense finally, FINALLY, got going with 402 yards to show for it. The defense was awesome as usual at stopping the run. Goodson, McGee, and Lane couldn't get anything going.

West Virginia-This is the team many expected to see coming into the year. They have really drilled some mediocre teams, but you couldn't help but be impressed with their game yesterday. They were one yard shy of eclipsing the 600 yard mark. Probably the most notable stat though was how well the defense did. They had a shutout going before ECU scored a touchdown in garbage minutes.

A:

Auburn-Basically, the Tigers get an A instead of an A+ for letting New Mexico State hang in there for one half. But Auburn ran away in the second half outscoring New Mexico State in it by a score of 34-0. They generated 6 turnovers in the game.

BYU-Air Force has done pretty well so far this season, but the Cougars didn't let them do anything. They out gained the Falcons by 221 yards. They really got Harvey Unga going which is key to future success.

New Mexico-Los Lobos (is this correct Spanish?) totally dominated the game against Sacramento State who is terrible at their own level. The passing game did some nice things, the defense was excellent, and Rodney Ferguson got his motor churning. Impressive game.

LSU-The Tigers didn't exactly dominate the box score, but they did get the job done. The fake to the kicker was excellent.

Clemson-The Tigers offense is awesome. It also helps when you have a team horrible at stopping the run in NC State. C.J. Spiller, James Davis, and even Jacoby Ford picked the Wolf Pack defense apart. The Clemson D held NC State to 202 yards of total offense. Andre Brown couldn't get going at all and Daniel Evans and Harrison Beck were absolutely atrocious. Flat out domination.

Wake Forest-The Demon Deacons didn't look to pretty to begin the game, but boy, did they finish or what? The Jordan Steffy INT set the Terps back big-time and it was a great win to stay alive in the ACC for Wake Forest.

Ball State-Nebraska's defense has been getting progressively worse as the season moves on, but Ball State's offense is really, really something. It took them a while to get up off their feet when they had an inexplicable loss to Miami OH to begin the year. Since then, they've been great offensively and they hung 600 yards on Nebraska. They lost the game on a missed FG, but you have to give the Cardinals a bunch of credit in this game.

Oklahoma State-You need to give credit to the Cowboys for pulling this thing out. Yes, they gave up 718 yards to Texas Tech, but the offense was certainly there. They don't play that much defense to begin with, so that's not much of a surprise. They executed better on 3rd down conversions, they had fewer penalties, and they forced two turnovers as opposed to OSU's one turnover. They did the little things right and it cost Texas Tech in this game.

Texas Tech-If SSO grades Okie State as an A, Tech needs one as well because these guys played to a draw. 718 yards of offense. Wow. That's Texas Tech in its finest. But they met up with a team that could match them score for score and they didn't do those little things; it lost them a crucial game in Big 12 play. Either way, both offenses were tremendous and the effort for both teams was great to see. Give 'em both an A!

A-:

Michigan State-Beating Notre Dame is no easy task these days, but they were efficient against the Irish. The defense for MSU stepped up even though it hasn't been as good as GT, Penn State, or Michigan when it came to defending the putrid Irish offense. Brian Hoyer needs to make better throws or they won't do anything in Big 10 play.

Michigan-They won a game against a ranked opponent without Chad Henne. With the way they've played over the first two games of the season, that can't be overlooked. Once Henne does come back, they'll be fine. Mallett did what he had to do and Mike Hart had a great day on the ground. Michigan's defense stepped up for the second week in a row giving the Wolverines an A-.

Georgia-They won in overtime on the first offensive snap. The Georgia Bulldogs were marching downfield before Coutu missed the FG. It was a well played game by the Bulldogs.

Alabama-Again, another close match with the loser deserving a similar grade. Alabama was neck-and-neck all day with Georgia, but they just didn't come through when it mattered most (overtime).

UConn-The Huskies got out gained by Pitt. Part of that were the Panthers' SIX turnovers which sets up UConn with a smaller field and it forces Pitt to throw. So, I'm just going to disregard that and focus on how big of a win this was for UConn. For some reason, many people had Pitt winning this game, but UConn came out fired up ready to put that Temple game behind them. 4-0 start!

UTEP-Eh, they were only playing Texas Southern who hasn't even won a game yet, but they did do some nice things. Offensively, they really got the ball rolling and it was just a nice day at the office. TSU QB Tino Edgecomb probably did too much against the Miner defense and they're going to need some shoring up to do before heading into conference play. Even so, it looks like Price's ballclub is well on their way to go bowling.

Houston-The Cougs did a great job of keeping Kyle Bell from not doing too much. Bell only had about 3.2 yards per carry. Houston found themselves down at halftime 17-3, but they exploded in the second half for 5 TDs.

Oregon-Is the Ducks' offense great, or what? Dennis Dixon was lights out again with 4 TD passes 367 yards. Stanford is doing some great things on offense under Jim Harbaugh, so the 402 yards against Stanford isn't as bad as it might have been last season.

Stanford-They got blown out, but again, compared to the expectations coming into this year, Stanford has been great so far. At least they're playing with a renewed sense of urgency to get things done. They've played pretty well so far against UCLA, Oregon, and San Jose State.

UCLA-It was good to see the Bruins bounce back from that disaster against Utah last week. Patrick Cowan played well at QB and the ground game ripped Washington to shreds. People need to lay off the Huskies a little bit, they still have a lot of work to do.

Cal-Keeping with the A-/Pac-10 theme, California beat up Arizona pretty good. Longshore was effective and Justin Forsett ran wild.

B+:

Purdue-The Boilermakers had a nice game, but I was kind of disappointed in their offensive output. They scored a TD on defense and on special teams, so it was a great effort all-around from the team.

Arizona State-It took them a while, but they finally woke up and dominated this game. Oregon State was bit by the turnover bug yet again, but ASU ripped off a 44-13 run to close out this game. Rudy Carpenter was awesome with 4 TD strikes and 361 yards.

Marshall-Well, they didn't get killed against Cincinnati. The score says 40-14, but the offense moved the ball against a very tough Cincy defense. The Bearcats moved the ball at will offensively, but the Herd didn't play too poorly for themselves.

Boston College-The Eagles weren't very sharp in this game turning the ball over left and right. Matt Ryan had a big day for an easy win over an Army team that was mainly within striking distance because Boston College was apathetic. They did have 573 yards of offense.

Tennessee-The Vols had a tough time putting Arkansas State away, but they did late in the game. The passing game was surprisingly effective considering how good Arkansas State's secondary is. Kudos to Erik Ainge and crew. They let Reggie Arnold do too much on the ground.

Troy-Yet another 500+ yard day on offense. Can these guys fly or what? They have been impressive and they got it done with balancing out the scheme. The ground game, led by Kenny Cattouse, had 271 yards while the passing game, led by Omar Haugabook, had 297 yards. Troy did get run over on the ground and they need to fix that defense which is pretty unusual for them.

Florida Atlantic-Another good performance from the Fighting Schnellenbergers. They picked off Daniel Meager and the brand-new North Texas spread passing attack three times with Rusty Smith doing his damage for 322 yards. Tavious Polo had TWO MORE INTs! Amazing, this guy is 2007's Dwight Lowery or Stanley Franks.

Western Kentucky-The third Sun Belt team in a row, the Hilltoppers upset winless Middle Tennessee last Thursday on a missed 34-yard FG. They dominated on the ground against what was a tough MTSU defense last year. The Blue Raiders have some issues that need solving, but WKU has a bright future.

Kentucky-It took a while for the Wildcats to get rolling, but the offense was consistent for a while and then it exploded in the 4th quarter.

Arkansas-Pretty much, another super-close game that could've gone either way. The final TD was due to the field position that Arkansas handed over on a missed 4th down conversion.

Virginia-Jameel Sewell was actually effective for once which was the difference in this game. GT had their opportunities, but the Cavalliers took control. The play right after the muffed punt was one of the few times I had recently seen Virginia click offensively.

Virginia Tech-The Hokies let up on William & Mary. The Tribe probably wanted Lang Campbell to come back for another game of eligibility. W&M could only muster 262 yards of total offense against VT's defense as they went on to a 44-3 win (it was 41-3 at the half).

B:

Tulane-Yeah, SE Louisiana shouldn't be playing them that closely, but Matt Forte ran for 303 yards on 40 carries leading the Green Wave to their first win of the season.

Akron-The Zips were not bad against KSU. They executed and, as always in tight games, that earned them the victory.

Kent State-Julian Edelman couldn't complete the pass at the end of the game and the Golden Flashes lost the Wagon Wheel, but I was impressed with both teams. KSU should not have blown it the way that they did, but Akron took it from them, they didn't just give it to the Zips.

Georgia Tech-They should have won this game. Even without Tashard Choice, letting Virginia, a team that has no WR ability and scored 3 points against Wyoming, score 21 points is bad. They're too good of caliber to be letting stuff like that happen. But they played decently enough, I'll give them a B.

Western Michigan-Finally, thank God they played up to their potential. It really wasn't a pretty win against Central Connecticut State. They only out gained the Blue Devils by 166 yards but they did force five turnovers.

Hawaii-Without Colt Brennan, they still should have hung 80 on a team like Charleston Southern. It took the Warriors forever to get going and maybe it's just a matter of motivation, but you can't lead by 11 at halftime against the Bucs. I wouldn't be too comfortable from what I've been seeing if I were a Hawaii football fan.

San Diego State-They let Portland State throw all over them (Mouse Davis is on the coaching staff there), but they fired back with almost 600 yards of their own. Brian White tossed 4 picks for PSU. SDSU played a fine game offensively which is their strength.

South Carolina-The Gamecocks did some good things against LSU, but getting controlled by the best team in the nation is not really anything to worry about. They have a good football team that should still compete for the SEC East crown of Florida slacks off like they have been doing.

Ole Miss-Speaking of those Gators, Seth Adams picked the Florida secondary apart with ease. That's not a good sign if you're Florida, but for Ole Miss, getting that kind of offensive production is a major plus. The defense got ripped up, but they didn't break too often and just giving Florida a football game will go a long was as far as momentum is concerned.

Illinois-In a game ridden with turnovers, the Illini got it done on the ground which made the difference. Rashard Mendenhall had a great game running for over 200 yards.

Arkansas State-They hung pretty tight with Tennnessee for a while. I was a little disappointed in their secondary considering how good each of their safeties are. Reggie Arnold played very well.

B-:

Navy-The Middies ran all over Duke's defense and (what?!) they did it with the passing game! Unbelievable, I know. Kaheaku-Enhada had 217 yards passing which is Texas Tech-esque in Navy terms. They also steamrolled Duke on the ground for 300+. They still have some major, major defensive issues.

Duke-The Blue Devils really blew this one with their aggressive play calling late in the game. The INT return and a scramble by Jarod Bryant set up a game winning FG. They did some really good things through the air with Thaddeus Lewis and that offense, as expected, has been vastly improving.

Army-Even though Boston College was holding themselves back, Army was pretty solid on defense. If they weren't on, Boston College could've had 800 yards if they wanted to considering the gap in talent.

Northern Illinois-At this rate, it was just nice for them to get a win. After an 0-3 start that included losses to Southern Illinois and Eastern Michigan, they almost blew the game against Idaho. They had a 35-7 lead at one point and they needed a Larry English sack on 4th down (inside the 30, mind you) to keep Idaho from winning the game with a 42-35 final.

Idaho-The Vandals also deserve some credit for coming back. It took them a while, but they finally got to defending that home turf of theirs called the Kibbie Dome. It was too bad it had to end like that because the play for the first half was so horrible.

Maryland-What was lost in the Terrapins' collapse was the fact that they did play a pretty good game. They picked off Riley Skinner 4 times and they got some good things going on the ground with Keon Lattimore. I dunno, they looked solid out there and had they won, I'd probably give them a B+. It was a very evenly contested match.

Indiana-Illinois controlled the game from the get-go, and it was kind of puzzling. Indiana just couldn't seem to put it together.

Buffalo-The Bulls are an upstart football team capable of giving some other ones a ballgame. They might be able to do some damage in MAC play. They gave Baylor a bit of a scare, but the Bears were never really in a position to lose the game. Willy threw a few INTs which would've made a huge difference had he not done so.

TCU-They won the game, but they still obviously have some issues to work out. Offensively, they could only muster 250 yards against a horrible SMU defense. It was good to see Marcus Jackson coming in the game though. The defense was shaky yet again allowing the Mustangs to get 352 yards offensively.

SMU-The Mustangs played a decent game, but again, they just stink. They're not going to do anything this year. They converted 25% of their 3rd downs which made it difficult to sustain drives.

Bowling Green-Tyler Sheehan was great once again, but I don't think Falcon Nation is too comfortable with the way their pass defense played. Adam DiMichele tossed 4 TDs against the pass D. Their play down the stretch of the 4th quarter was a little shaky.

Temple-They didn't play particularly well, but any close game for Temple is a positive. They got some things done through the air that they must be proud of. They also showed how disciplined they were only committing two penalties.

Toledo-The Rockets are great at defending the Glass Bowl, but they got outplayed somewhat. Although they do deserve some credit for getting the ball back three times along with a defensive and special teams touchdown. They won the game 36-35.

Wisconsin-The Badgers, yet again, didn't really come to play against Iowa. Which isn't good, they're in front of Camp Randall Crazies on a primetime, Saturday night football game. What is their deal?

Iowa-Played them close enough, but they only managed 3 points in the second half. They just don't look like a very good football team but defensively, that's another story altogether. They look great on defense.

C+:

Baylor-Buffalo is still Buffalo and they shouldn't be within range of a BCS conference team (even if it is Baylor). I'm not really sure why they ever agreed to go TO Buffalo in the first place. Blake Szymanski was decent through the air and he made some plays with his legs in earning a victory.

Mississippi State-They were without Michael Henig (which we all know is absolutely devastating to this Bulldog offense), but they did okay offensively and held the run n' shoot offense of the Runnin' Bulldogs at bay. They did bend a lot, but they hardly ever broke and they looked okay in this affair.

Arizona-These guys officially have some work to do. Already 1-3 with losses to New Mexico and BYU, the Wildcats stink. They turn the ball over far too many times.

Missouri-Illinois State has a solid football team, but Missouri's defense is very bad. After yesterday, the Tigers have the nation's 89th ranked defense facing offensive juggernauts such as Illinois, Ole Miss, Western Michigan, and Illinois State.

Washington State-They got steamrolled, but, hey, can you blame them?

North Texas-The Mean Green did alright for themselves against a good FAU team. Winning isn't all that important right now. It's all about setting the groundwork for a poor man's Texas Tech which is occurring.

New Mexico State-It was a 21-20 game at halftime before Auburn blew their doors off. They turned the ball over too many times to really remain that competitive.

Tulsa-They didn't look that bad out there for a while. Oklahoma eventually had their way with them, but you can't say they didn't battle, especially on offense.

Florida-Not a very good game from the Gators. They haven't fared all that well when they've headed into Mississippi. The Rebels do not have a very good team and there's no reason why they shouldn't have won by 20 points.

Penn State-The Nittany Lions should've known what was coming. Come on, Michigan was so one-dimensional in that game, they should never have even made it across midfield. The Penn State offense was anemic as well and could've done much better.

Notre Dame-Hey, this is their first game not ending up in the D range! Congratulations. They also scored two touchdowns which is something they can build upon. The offensive lineman were much more physical than in weeks past.

Minnesota-The Golden Gophers battled back, but they still made mental errors here and mental errors there. That's the stuff Brewster is supposed to be getting rid of.

Colorado State-They were very average in this game. Houston, not known for their run defense, totally shut Kyle Bell down. They didn't have a lot of success doing anything in the second half.

C:

San Jose State-They finally got their first win of the season against a pesky Utah State team. Adam Tafralis needed a last-minute TD to secure the victory. Kevin Robinson ate their special teams alive.

Utah State-They played them tough in Logan but they just didn't have enough to come out on top. SJSU dominated the game statwise, but Kevin Robinson kept setting them up with great field position which was why this game was close in the first place.

Wyoming-The Cowboys get a C for pulling out the victory in dramatic fashion, but they were B-A-D all game and there's no reason why Ohio shouldn't have been able to put them away. Wyoming turned the ball over seven times! They got flagged seven times for 102 yards! It was an ugly win.

Ohio-They get a C for letting Wyoming stay in the game. How does a team not put somebody away after that?

Oregon State-The awful, dreadful QB play continues to do Oregon State in. The Beavers turned the ball over six times, five of those coming off of interceptions from Sean Canfield. Bernard was good as usual, but the QB play is haunting Oregon State from being a really good team.

UL Lafayette-The Ragin' Cajuns had tremendous success on the ground against a weak Troy defense. Michael Desormeaux continues to screw his own team throwing two interceptions. He was the team's leading rusher though. Troy smoked ULL's defense.

C-:

Eastern Michigan-Coming off of a win against Northern Illinois, the Eagles respond by getting out gained against Howard? Is this a joke? Man. Good luck winning the rest of the way when you've got Vanderbilt, Michigan, Ohio, Northwestern, Western Michigan, Toledo, and Bowling Green the schedule (I'll give 'em a good shot against Central Michigan, more on them later).

Washington-They moved the football against UCLA a little bit (who hasn't so far?) but the run defense was pathetic. They couldn't stop Markey if their lives depended on it.

Air Force-People were hoping that the Air Force Falcons would improve to 4-0, but they had no shot going into Provo. BYU's defense really came to play after getting drilled by Tulsa though. Air Force is still working on finding some sort of passing game.

D+:

Texas A&M-Miami was pumped, but could you guys play a little better next time? The Aggies have been totally overrated by the media getting out gained by Montana State and letting a very poor Fresno State team walk into Kyle Field and almost beat them. We should've seen this one coming.

Nebraska-Ball State has a good offense folks, and I wouldn't have an issue with this game if Nebraska let them move the football a little bit. But 600+ yards? Wow. My pick to win the Big 12 this year? Yeah, just forget I ever wrote that on this site, okay?

East Carolina-West Virginia is scary, scary good, but ECU knew how to defend them last year. This year, they go into Morgantown and get drilled. It was a disappointing effort from the Pirates.

North Carolina-The Tar Heels got drilled on national TV. It was a shame that they got defeated so badly. Butch Davis needs to be thinking about next season.

D:

Memphis-The Tigers were supposed to at least give UCF a game. I know the Knights are probably one of the best non-BCS teams out there, but give me a break. This game was over by the first quarter and the Memphis defense gave up over 600 yards.

Pitt-Losing to UConn isn't such a big deal (it is to their bowl aspirations though), but the way they did it was awful. They gave UConn six turnovers to work with and it was a horrible all-around football game.

FIU-I'll grade FIU pretty easily if they compete, but this game wasn't close at all. Another drubbing from the Kansas Jayhawks.

Iowa State-The Cyclones continually wallow in futility this time dropping a game that they should've easily won to Toledo, a bad Toledo team, might I add. Brett Meyer played well but not well enough.

Cincinnati-The Bearcats, even though they won by 26 points, let Marshall roll on offense. I may be being way too rough on the Bearcats, but Marshall's offense is too mediocre and Cincy's D is too good to let them get 337 yards of offense.

D-:

Rice-Again.

Miami OH-What in the world was that? Like I said earlier about Colorado, Miami is no Florida International. I'm still trying to figure out how A) Colorado scored 42 points and B) how Miami OH got shut out. They're hurt by injuries, but they've got to be a little bit better than that. Surprising.

Northwestern-I don't care who you play, if you lose to Duke and back that up with a 58-7 loss to Ohio State (and the defense pitched a shutout), it's worthy of a D-.

Utah-What in the world happened to these guys? They score 44 against UCLA and 0 against UNLV? It's going to be a rollercoaster ride this year.

NC State-Their play against Clemson was totally inexcusable. They got crushed.

CMU-Of course, CMU finds their way back into the D- echelon. How, in God's name, can you lose to North Dakota State by 30 points when you went to a bowl game the previous year? How does that happen? It's stunning, it really is.

Middle Tennessee-Ironically, both of these teams met up in the Motor City Bowl last season (I was there, Ford Field is a nice place). It's stunning how far both of these programs have fallen within the span of 9 months.

Louisville-And, how can we leave the Cardinals off of this list? The defense has no concept of how to tackle players.

Always good info RJ ... I was with you on most plays, really like getting an early start on Sundays to the early CFB lines and action. My record with the bets made Sun or Mon is so much better than picks later in the week. Look forward to the lines coming out. Keep the good info flowing.

Thanks, man. I had the same deal. I went 5-1 on my early picks and went 2-2 in my Fri and Saturday adds.

Sometimes the late adds work out, sometimes they don't. In this case, I got a little lucky with the Houston backdoor and got unlucky with TT and Wisky who blew ATS wins.

It Didn't Have To Be This Way for Arkansas

Posted Sep 23rd 2007 2:43PM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: SEC, Arkansas Football
houston-nutt-180w.jpg
Arkansas lost to Kentucky at home on Saturday, 42-29, despite enjoying a 13 point lead in the first half and a 29-21 surplus with 11:40 to go.

The sad part? It wasn't surprising that they still lost. Not to anyone. Not in the least.

First and foremost, it is important to point out that Kentucky is a very good football team in 2007. They were better coached, fielded an unstoppable offense, and were disciplined as well as opportunistic.

Arkansas was not.

But you have to wonder what could have been for Arkansas, in what must surely be Houston Nutt's final year as head coach.

Here's a list of ways that Houston Nutt blew it.

1. Ran off an offensive coordinator that was ready to turn the Hogs' offense into a contender.

Former high school coach Gus Malzahn was hired to run the Razorbacks' powerful offense, and he brought with him the Springdale Five. Although he started enjoying some early successes with his new offense, Nutt cut him off at the knees halfway through the season, forcing him back to the Hogs' predictable offensive play-calling. Malzahn resigned after the 2006 season and left for Tulsa.

2. Ran off one of the most highly rated quarterbacks Arkansas ever had.

You might not have seen awesome production out of Mitch Mustain last year, but he never lost a game as a freshman starter and was a better quarterback -- by leaps and bounds -- than Casey Dick. As an example of how highly touted Mustain really was, Pete Carroll and USC slobbered all over themselves when they found out the Mustain was looking to transfer and were only too happy to take him off of Nutt's hands. One can only wonder what might have been if Mustain been given a year to develop under Malzahn's spread offense. Arkansas might today be fielding one of the SEC's better quarterbacks, with two of the country's best running backs in the backfield, not to mention several talented receivers (most of whom have also transferred.)

3. Failed to instill discipline in a team which desperately needed it.

The Hogs' incredible talent at key positions, combined with a bumbling propensity to absolutely implode at critical moments, is nearly comical if you're not an Arkansas fan. It has happened so often and for so long during Nutt's 10-year tenure that it must, positively must, reflect on the head coach and his staff.

Some Arkansas fans feel Arkansas is cursed. No, this team is not cursed; they're simply suffering from the effects of lousy coaching. How else can you explain a roughing-the-kicker call (sending two gunners?) which sealed Kentucky's win, or a fumble with seconds to go before halftime which the Cats scooped up for a touchdown? How about Fish's punt return fumble in last year's SEC Championship game which gave the Gators the lead -- and momentum -- for good? This list could go on indefinitely.

4. Made poor personal decisions in the off-season, which led to a circus-like atmosphere.

Don't underestimate this. "Textgate," the neverending saga of the Springdale Five and their mamas and papas, Frank Broyes, and word leaking out about Nutt's interest in taking the Alabama job was a huge distraction. The Hogs should have been enjoying their 10-win season and SEC West championship. Houston Nutt should have been basking in his selection as SEC Coach of the Year. Instead, his personal foibles took the spotlight and the majority of fans seemed to turn on him for good.

... and that's the short list. One has to wonder: what could have been for the Razorbacks? For a team with absolutely zero ability at the quarterback position to still have the capacity to score explosively with its ground game (the Hogs scored three TDs in the fourth quarter against Alabama) all that is really needed or wanted is competence.

Competence in their signal-caller.

Competence in their coaching staff.

They had those things in 2006, and Houston Nutt threw them away.

Mitch Mustain is warming up to be the next great Southern Cal quarterback.

Gus Malzahn is utilizing the talent available to him to field a very effective offense at Tulsa.

Meanwhile, Arkansas is 1-2 overall and 0-2 in SEC play. Their SEC title hopes aren't completely dead, but they're on life support, and hope for a miracle is at an all-time low.

It didn't have to be this way. But it is, and the saddest part of all is that everyone could see it coming -- everyone except Houston Nutt.

Texas Longhorns Report Card: Defense vs Rice

by HornsFan Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 02:24:05 PM EDT

On to the defense, where things were mostly excellent, but with some caveats.
Defensive Line
There's not a single player in this group not playing good football. Frank Okam, Roy Miller, and Derek Lokey are utterly devastating football players on the interior. Even fifth-year senior Thomas Marshall chipped in some good football last night, deflecting a football which Rodderick Muckelroy intercepted.
The ends have been outstanding, as well. Aaron Lewis plays his position as solidly as you could ask for. It's nothing flashy - just a steady stream of good play. And how about Lamarr Houston? Rice simply could not deal with him last night. If he wasn't making a tackle, he was flushing Clement out of the pocket. He went around blocks and through blocks. He has better speed than it looks like he'd have. He's just an excellent football player.
Eddie Jones made a couple nice plays himself before leaving with a shoulder injury. No word yet on whether he'll be available next week.
<INS>GRADE: A+</INS>
Linebackers
Well... let's see. The starters were once again bad. If it were another team, and not our own, it would really be a pretty funny story. Since it's our team, though, we're left pulling our hair out. Rashaad Bobino is simply ineffective, running straight into blocks and never disengaging. Scott Derry isn't exactly inept, but he's merely adequate. Robert Killebrew hasn't made a play all season.
Last night was particularly painful, with Rice enjoying every single meaningful drive when the starters were on the field. All those three and outs? When the young crew was on the field.
That young crew - Rodderick Muckelroy, Jared Norton, and Sergio Kindle - played great football last night. They can really fly around the field, but they do so in a purposeful manner. They make blockers miss or, if a blocker arrives, figure out how to shed them. They're getting better and better about being patient, then using speed to close space and make plays. They hit hard. They have good instincts. They make the Texas defense a legitimate contender for the Big 12 title.
And I think it's that simple: either these guys get the vast majority of the snaps from here on out and Texas fields a strong defense, or the veterans keep playing and cost Texas (at least) a game or two. It was crystal clear watching live last night. It was crystal clear watching the replay this morning. The coaches cannot possibly miss this. Can they?
<INS>VETERANS GRADE: D / YOUNG GUYS GRADE: A</INS>
Secondary
It was a mixed bag in the secondary. Let's start with the good stuff and Marcus Griffin, who's playing better and better football each week. He probably had the best game of his career last night, delivering big hits, covering well, and making an absolutely silly diving catch for an interception. You have to tip your hat to this young man, who's come a long way to become a great football player.
Elsewhere, Erick Jackson and Drew Kelson each played well enough, assisting nicely in run support and performing adequately in coverage support. Texas once again faced a subpar passing attack, however, so we don't know just yet what we've got here.
The cornerbacks remain a different story. Ryan Palmer was mostly good last night, making a couple nice plays on the football while continuing to tackle well. True sophomore Deion Beasley got the start over an injured Brandon Foster (quadriceps), with inconsistent results. Beasley's certainly got a lot of athletic ability, but he's getting all turned around with his footwork and finding himself with too much ground to make up to make a play on the ball.
Other youngsters saw the field last night as well, with both Chykie Brown and Curtis Brown getting second half snaps. Curtis got his Welcome to the NCAAs moment when he lost track of his man for a moment.
The cornerbacks remain a big question mark as this team heads into conference play. Once again, we have to ask: can we expect them to cover OU's outstanding WRs? It's going to be quite a test.
<INS>GRADE: B</INS>
Defensive Coaching
The defense literally looks ridiculous when those starting LBs are in the game. I say that because it's just so weird to watch Bobino blitz himself into a block over and over again, while Killebrew flops around like a fish out of water. I'm sure they're great guys and important team leaders and all, but they aren't good at the important thing - playing linebacker.
To his credit, Akina gave those young guys a lot more work this week. They looked great and gave the defense an instant, total makeover. It's not just what they do themselves, either. Our secondary needs some protecting this year, but they're up a creek with no paddle if they have to protect the subpar linebackers.
Think of it another way: a team might be able to hide three bad linebackers with a dominant front four and a shutdown secondary. Alternatively, a team might be able to hide a questionable secondary with a dominant front seven.
The solution here is obvious, of course. Insert the playmaking linebackers and work on developing the secondary. There's a lot of young CB talent on this roster, and Ryan Palmer looks like an adequate placeholder for 2007. Some of you are hopeful that Brandon Foster can be a good player, and though I'm more skeptical of that happening, I'm hopeful that Beasley's on-the-job training will lead to steady improvement. Ditto Chykie Brown, if we can get him some more work.
Besides the personnel, there's the issue of scheme, which was better this week. The first three Rice drives were a bit perplexing, with more of those incessant Here Comes The LB Blitz! series Akina's so fond of. But adjustments were steadily made after that, with Akina doing what he talked about doing this offseason - using the illusion of pressure as a weapon. This was especially effective with the younger LBs, who crept up to the line, showed blitz, then drifted back at the snap of the ball. They were free to make plays, and they made them. A better balance of blitz vs show blitz will continue to help this team. That front four can create a lot of problems on its own. Strategic blitzing is much wiser than the more kamikaze approach.
Overall, Akina did a lot of the things we hoped he'd do, both in terms of personnel and scheme. Those trends need to continue, of course, but he gets a high mark for Rice week.
<INS>GRADE: B+</INS>

SUNDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK...
By SMQ
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 01:45:24 PM EDT
</I>

...in part. In a hurry today, but some quick thoughts on what I actually saw Saturday...
SMQ WATCHED...
...with various degrees of vigilance...
GEORGIA 26 • ALABAMA 23
Live by man coverage, die by man coverage: Alabama triumphed with an end zone lob for its first big SEC win, and was slain by the same for it first big SEC loss. As I always strain to point out, the margins in glory and defeat are razor-thin, and they even out over time. In this case, it was just a very short time.
I will give the Tide points for continued resiliency. Down a touchdown in the fourth quarter against Arkansas, John Parker Wilson put together two drives that won the game, sandwiched by a crucial defensive stop. Down ten in the fourth quarter in a game its offense had accomplished little - Bama's only touchdown before the final possession of regulation was a short field score following an easy, badly thrown interception by Matt Stafford - Wilson put together drives of 61 and 88 yards on his team's only possessions of the final quarter to extend a game it felt like it shouldn't really have been in at that point. Todd Blackledge summarized the home crowd's insanity after Brandon Coutu's potentially winning field goal missed by inches at the gun: "Hooray, we didn't lose!" The Tide were beginning to develop a kind of indomitable streak. It was still fitting that Matt Stafford laid the knock out blow masterfully into Mikey Henderson's hands, though, because - ongoing efforts at sabotage by his receivers notwithstanding (hello, Tripp Chandler) - Saturday was the first time I've looked at Stafford as an entrenched leader instead of a man-sized kid still feeling his way. This is not his first big win, or first big road win - see Auburn, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech to close last season - but it is the first one that he was put in a position to win rather than merely not lose until the defense came up with game-changing turnovers that took him off the hook, as was the case in all of the above wins from last season. Stafford did throw two picks, one of them, as mentioned, a bad, potentially game-changing overthrow into coverage that led to Alabama tying a game UGA had under control in the third quarter. But overall, he was sharp against an aggressive defense: adding about half a dozen blatant drops to his completion total, Stafford was at least a 70 percent passer, helping his team control the ball for more than 34 minutes on five drives of four minutes or longer, and he couldn't have delivered a prettier ball to win the game.

nick-saban.jpg

Yea, it is but a lone defeat, children, from which the flock shall grow only stronger.
- - -

This is very clear, though: behind Florida and LSU (see below) nothing is going to come easy for anyone in the SEC.

• Georgia faced three straight third-and-long situations on its opening drive of the game, and picked up the first down on a screen pass against an Alabama blitz on every one of them. The screens went to three different players - Sean Bailey, Knowshon Moreno and Thomas Brown - and contributed 44 of the drive's 70 yards, including the final ten on Brown's catch-and-run to the end zone on 3rd-and-8. Fool me once, shame on you, but three times? Even with a short field to defend in the red zone, the Tide kept right on blitzin'.
• Terry Grant went 21 yards on Alabama's first play of the game, and broke a 30-yard run in the third quarter to set up the Tide's first touchdown from the UGA one. Still, he only finished the game with eleven carries.
LSU 28 • SOUTH CAROLINA 16
LSU toyed with every sort of look offensively, spreading the field, barrelling up the middle from the I, bringing in Ryan Perrilloux to do the read option thing ("11-on-11 football," as Gary Danielson calls it), bringing in Trindon Holliday for some spectacular misdirective gashing. It ran the kicker for a touchdown on a fake field goal a few plays after hiding Holliday for a fumblerooski-type play on the quick change after an interception. It's nice to get everyone involved, but none of Gary Crowton's strategic wankery really mattered. Matt Flynn completed 8 -f 19 for 70 yards and an interception. No matter. Including Perrilloux, who only attempted one pass, six LSU running backs carried the ball for 275 yards, five of them for more than five yards per carry (the only one below that, Keiland Williams, averaged 4.7). This was not inflationary in any way - the long run was 33 yards. It was outright dominance by the Tiger offensive line. Down the road, particularly next week against Florida, that's going to matter.
I mentioned LSU's 40-pound-per-man advantage over Carolina's defensive line Friday, and maybe losing Jasper Brinkley in the first half had some minor effect, but the inability to stop the run is a long-standing albatross to the Gamecocks' wider ambitions:
  • ...USC hasn't made much progress to stopping the run in years - opponents have averaged a little more than four yards per carry every season since 2002, which never happens at Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn or Alabama (or Tennessee, for that matter, which gave up 4.1 last year after a long run of dominance in run defense) - and that's still the biggest gap between the Cocks and the league's elite.
    - - -
That was my preseason assessment and it holds until further notice.
• The difference in these teams was pretty clear in the first quarter, on each teams' first scoring drive. South Carolina's took 12 plays to go 67 yards, took almost six minutes off the clock, required a 3rd-and-16 conversion and 20 yards in LSU penalties and came down to an intricate little game of rock-paper-scissors on 3rd-and-4 at the LSU eight. The Tigers crept eight guys within five yards of the ball, playing both corners and a safety loose against three-wide, and ultimately sent six of those eight as a pair of linebackers held in the middle of the field. Seeing plenty of space against three-deep, Blake Mitchell repositioned his receivers before the snap and hit Kenny McKinley on a wide open quick slant to set up 1st-and-goal at the one; LSU tried to adjust to USC's audible, but safety Danny McCray, coming from the end zone, was screened by the outside receiver and arrived way late on McKinley. Mike Williams put Carolina up 7-0 two plays later. Fairly exhausting stuff, all of it necessary to penetrate the Tiger defense.
LSU answered its first deficit of the season by scorching 69 yards in four plays, consecutively hitting an open tight end for 24 yards, opening up a run by Holliday for 11 and blocking the hell out of Holliday's 33-yard trot into the end zone. Nothing short of demoralizing.
Game-changing play: Every South Carolina partisan spent halftime praying for a tide-turning lightning bolt like Eric Cook had in his hands on the first possession of the third quarter, when he stepped in front a of a third down pass by Matt Flynn en route to the end zone, where he would put Carolina back within a touchdown of tying the game. This is the play that makes an upset Instead, Cook dropped the potential equalizer, LSU pinned USC's offense at its own 21, and LSU subsequently stopped a rather desperate 4th-and-1 attempt at the Carolina 30. Aaaaaaaannnd...the rout was on.
The official box score (seen here on the NCAA site and here at ESPN) lists this rather odd rushing line for McKinley:
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ff5252"><TD align=middle>#</TD><TD align=middle>Player</TD><TD align=middle>No</TD><TD align=middle>Gain</TD><TD align=middle>Loss</TD><TD align=middle>Net</TD><TD align=middle>TD</TD><TD align=middle>Avg.</TD><TD align=middle>Long</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>11</TD><TD align=middle>Kenny McKinley</TD><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD align=middle>0</TD><TD align=middle>8</TD><TD align=middle>7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So if McKinley gained 16 yards on two carries, and the longer of those two carries went for seven yards, then the other was for...
Oklahoma State 49 • Texas Tech 45
Oh, This Modern Game: At one point in the second quarter of Texas Tech-Oklahoma State, with the Red Raiders facing a 4th-and-2 in OSU territory, Oklahoma State's defense came out with zero down linemen and dropped eight into coverage. Graham Harrell scrambled and hit Danny Amendola in the flat for a first down, then tied the game on a quick timing throw to Michael Crabtree from the OSU three. At halftime of this game, Texas Tech led 35-28 with 388 yards and four touchdowns on 40-plus passes and two players over 130 yards receiving. The teams combined for nine touchdowns on the game's first ten possessions and 42 points in the second quarter alone, capped when
Crabtree caught his third touchdown after a Marino-esque fake spike by Harrell a few seconds before the break.

LeachMike06-web.jpg

Sometimes, even pirates need a little defense. Yarr.
- - -

Most of that yardage remained through the second half - Harrell finished with one of the highest passing totals in NCAA history (646) and there were 62 first downs altogether - but for Tech, the points did not, largely due to a couple of old problems: the main culprit, obviously, was its defense, which carries a huge share of the defeat for giving up 610 total yards and 6.9 per carry to the Cowboys' top three runners. Offensively, though, the Raiders managed to outduel OSU in total yardage, and had a chance to close out the game when they got the ball back up three with 2:44 remaining. If Mike Leach's offense is the perfect system to come back at the end of a game, it's the worst for holding a lead: Tech went three-and-out in a little less than a minute, gained four yards while stopping the clock on an incomplete pass and - its defense being what it is - immediately allowed a 54-yard, go-ahead touchdown in a pathetic display of open-field tackling on the first play of the Cowboys' ensuing possession.
The momentum change was so fast, Tech still had plenty of time (roughly a minute and a half) to move back into position to win, which it promptly did on a long heave to Crabtree that helped move the ball inside the OSU 20 with almost a minute to play. Here the spread ran into its other chronic caveat, trying to throw into a constricted, zoned-out end zone in scoring position. Earlier in the second half, the Raiders had fumbled, turned the ball over on downs, missed a field goal and settled for another field goal in OSU territory. Needing a first down or a touchdown to win from fifteen yards out, the final four of Harrell's 67 passes wnet incomplete, complete for two yards, incomplete, incomplete.
* To be fair, the last of those passes should have been the winning touchdown to Crabtree. Watching him here, it's hard to believe the staff had the patience to redshirt Crabtree as a true freshman last year. Not that the passing attack was short of productive options, but Crabtree is visibly the first-rate physical weapon the Tech receiving corps has lacked under Leach, a big, fast leaper with great instincts and breakaway ability that can lead to numbers like 14 for 237 and three touchdowns in this offense. But for all that, Mike, catch the game-winner! Crabtree had the route on the post, split the safeties, and the ball came in at his facemask. Of all the ones Saturday that could have gotten away, this one cost Tech a division win. Extracurriculars coming this evening...

that britney spears comment was so fucking random... i was talking about it in the in-game thread last night.. it just came out of nowhere, the other two guys were like, "wtf are you talking about this for? the game is in overtime, shut the hell up".

Anyways - keep up the good work dawg, i like almost all of your plays the last few weeks.. can't wait to see this weeks!

Like it RJ, played tOSU and cinci.. wanted a bit lower for Rutgers, but may end up playing still..I'll look at it more

S. Carolina will start Smelley over Mitchell this week

Posted: Sunday September 23, 2007 8:25PM; Updated: Sunday September 23, 2007 8:25PM
<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad width="100%">
p1.smelley.ap.jpg

Steve Spurrier is turning to redshirt freshman Chris Smelley for the 16th-ranked Gamecocks game against Mississippi State.
AP

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad>
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Steve Spurrier is at it again, shuffling quarterbacks at South Carolina until he finds someone who plays the ball coach's game.
The latest demotee is Blake Mitchell, a fifth-year senior who only a week ago Spurrier declared would be the one to take the 16th-ranked Gamecocks (3-1) as far as they would go this season.
But after South Carolina's undefeated start ended with No. 2 LSU's 28-16 victory, Spurrier said freshman Chris Smelley would get the start when the Gamecocks return to action this week against Mississippi State (3-1).
It's the second straight year Mitchell's been benched early in the season.
"Blake's had a lot of pressure on him" and that has led to erratic performances, Spurrier said. "So we're going to give Chris Smelley a chance right now."
Mitchell lost his starting spot in 2006 after South Carolina's 18-0 loss to Georgia. He returned late in the season and led the Gamecocks to close with three straight wins -- something that hadn't happened in 33 years.
But Mitchell hasn't looked as sharp so far this year. He was 7 of 16 for 70 yards against LSU before Smelley took over.
The loss dropped South Carolina four spots in this week's ranking and ended their six-game win streak.
Spurrier had been concerned about Mitchell's tendency to hold the ball too long, missing chances to connect with receivers on timing patterns.
Smelley did a good job, Spurrier said, in getting rid of the ball quickly enough to move the Gamecocks. Smelley was 12-of-26 for 174 yards and South Carolina's only touchdown pass Saturday, a 1-yard scoring toss to Kenny McKinley.
Spurrier didn't want to get into particulars about what Mitchell did wrong to lose his spot.
"But obviously we weren't going very far and we just decided to let Chris have a chance," Spurrier said. "He threw the ball pretty well, actually."
Spurrier also didn't say if Mitchell or third-stringer Tommy Beecher would come in if Smelley was ineffective or aggravated the sprained right shoulder hurt in the Gamecocks' opener against Louisiana-Lafayette.
"Right now, Chris has a chance to go the distance," Spurrier said.
Spurrier was a Heisman Trophy winner as Florida's quarterback in 1966. He has called his own plays and coached quarterbacks throughout his career -- and that has led to some quick hooks for Spurrier's starters.
Figuring out Spurrier's rotation during his later seasons at Florida was a puzzle. He went with little-used Jesse Palmer against the Gamecocks in 1999 over starter Doug Johnson.
A year later, it was Palmer again going for the Gators in the South Carolina game when Spurrier was dissatisfied with starter Rex Grossman.
In 2006, Spurrier thought Mitchell was ready to do great things as South Carolina's quarterback, saying his player had a chance to be an all-Southeastern Conference pick.
Instead, Mitchell flopped so badly he was replaced after two games by the more mobile Syvelle Newton.
But Mitchell kept his poise and stayed ready. When Spurrier brought him in the second half of South Carolina's game with Arkansas a year back, Mitchell nearly rallied the team back from a 17-point deficit before losing 26-20.
Mitchell started the rest of the season. The way he finished had Spurrier and Gamecock fans hopeful Mitchell would pick up where he left off.
But whether it was a one-game academic suspension that made him miss the opener or a three-interception, one-fumble performance against South Carolina State two games ago, Mitchell did not meet expectations -- and finds himself again out of action.
After the LSU loss, Mitchell was asked what he would do on the sidelines. "Just sit there and wait until, I guess, somebody else messes up and I might get a chance to get back in there," he said.
With Spurrier as coach, that could be as soon as the next game.

Texas Tech Defensive Coordinator Resigns

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 05:11PM by CFR in Coaches, Big 12 | Post a Comment
Wait, you mean they actually have a defensive coordinator? Bad joke, moving along ...
But seriously, he just left the team. Coach Mike Leach threw his defense under the bus after Saturday's 49-45 loss to Oklahoma State, questioning their manhood.
Defensively, the entire first half, we got hit in the mouth and acted like someone took our lunch money, and all we wanted to do is have pouty expressions on our face until somebody dobbed our little tears off and made us [expletive] feel better. Then we go out there and try harder once our mommies told us we were OK. Neither one of those things is acceptable.
As is fan protocol, websites were swiftly established demanding the head of defensive coordinator Mike Sentencich.
Mission: accomplished.

After the LSU loss, Mitchell was asked what he would do on the sidelines. "Just sit there and wait until, I guess, somebody else messes up and I might get a chance to get back in there," he said.
With Spurrier as coach, that could be as soon as the next game.

Ahh, exactly why I hate this kid.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>5 Thoughts - Don't Think, Just Throw </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
478045.jpg

Ohio State WR Brian Robiskie
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 23, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

If you could average over 600 yards and 50 points per game, wouldn't you want to? Then why aren't Texas Tech's Mike Leach and Hawaii's June Jones hotter coaching properties? Hart for Heisman, the wacky first four weeks, jumping on the Buckeye bandwagon, and more, in the latest 5 Thoughts.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

Five Thoughts: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3
Don't Think, Just Throw
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]1. We've all been brainwashed since berth that defense wins championships, and that you must have a good, sound running game to have any shot at being successful in football. Yes, that's fine, but the idea is to score the most points possible. With that in mind, it's time for one of the big-time programs to rethink things a little bit and realize that Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach, or Hawaii head man June Jones, could actually be on to something.

I know, I know, the teams with the wacky passing attacks took a hit last week. That's glossing over the overall point. Right now, if you told Tennessee it could be second in the nation in total offense, averaging 606 yards per game (it's currently 48th in the nation averaging 418 yards per game), and could average 49.5 points per game (15 more a game than it's currently cranking out), you'd think it'd want that. Texas Tech is putting up those numbers. If you said to Florida State it could be averaging 55.75 points and 543 yards per game (like Hawaii currently is), don't you think it'd want to?

Of course, the numbers are a bit skewed, since Hawaii and Texas Tech haven't played the teams Tennessee and Florida State have, but you get the idea. It's also important to note that programs like Baylor and Arizona haven't exactly lit the world on fire by copying Texas Tech, but that's Baylor and Arizona.

I'm wondering what would happen (no offense, TTechers) if a big, BIG name program had Leach as the head coach. I'm wondering what would happen if you could get an elite of the elite recruit to run the offense, and more Michael Crabtrees to catch the passes. I'm wondering how this whole thing would work if Leach or Jones were at a place that wakes up in the morning and gets a boatload of top-flight defensive talent knocking on the recruiting door. I'm not saying Virginia Tech should replace Frank Beamer, but pair the Texas Tech offense, assuming it's coached properly, with the Hokie defense, and you'd have an unstoppable machine.

Yards are yards, points are points, and offense is offense. A passing yard counts the same as a rushing yard. It's time one of the top teams, once the fur starts flying and the coaching carousel begins, to think outside the spread box and take a look at Leach or Jones. If nothing else, it would be a whole bunch of fun.

Jumping On The Buckeye
By Richard Cirminiello[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]
[/FONT]. [/SIZE]It's taken a few weeks, but I'd like to officially get my ticket punched for the Buckeye bandwagon. With one-third of the season gone, Ohio State has improbably established itself as the Big Ten favorite, and a potentially a deep, deep sleeper to run the table and represent the league in New Orleans. It's not as if Jim Tressel hasn't taken a less-than-perfect team well beyond expectations in the past. Am I putting too much stock in recent wins over Washington and Northwestern? Possibly, but I don't think so. Beating the Huskies in Seattle created confidence for a young team that had just struggled with Akron. Crushing Northwestern on Saturday afternoon brought a little swagger, and sent a message to the rest of the league. A serious work-in-progress just a month ago, the Buckeyes are beginning to gel into a solid top 10 squad. Todd Boeckman has embraced the role of starting quarterback, throwing six touchdown passes to just one pick in the last two games, and finding a go-to guy in Brian Robiskie. The defense has allowed only two touchdowns all year, and ranks behind just LSU in total defense. And the special teams has been up to Tressel's high standards. Although Ohio State is not in the same league as this year's Big 4, USC, LSU, Oklahoma, and Florida, it is in the next tier of schools, which is still an achievement for this team. Get on board now before the Big Ten schedule really gets cranking. In a few weeks, there may be no empty seats remaining.An Inconsistent Truth[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]John Harris[/SIZE]

3. Okay, someone has to help me. There’s no rhyme or reason to this college football season. None. Kentucky’s a football school. Mississippi State and Illinois have better records than Louisville. Syracuse…really?!? Notre Dame can’t score or win. Georgia can’t beat South Carolina at home, but takes out Alabama on the road. Oklahoma State lost to Troy on the road last weekend, but then yesterday withstands 646 passing yards in beating an undefeated Texas Tech squad 49-45. Iowa State beats Iowa but has lost to two MAC teams and D1AA Northern Iowa. Iowa then almost knocks off number seven ranked Wisconsin in Madison, a Badger team that struggled with the Citadel, from the Southern Conference. But, at least the Badgers won. The Michigan Wolverines weren’t so lucky. They lost to their Southern Conference foe Appalachian State in the Big House, but then beat number ten ranked Penn State yesterday. Nebraska survives a late drop (which would’ve been a sure game-winning TD) and a field goal miss to beat…Ball State?!? As Marvin Gaye once said, what’s going on? I’m not sure I can take it anymore. Even Duke won a game against Northwestern. Well, at least the Blue Devils maintained expectations by blowing an eleven-point lead in the fourth quarter in a loss to Navy. That’s about the only thing that’s been consistent in this topsy turvy season, and it’s only week four.

Hart, The Heisman Horse

By Michael Bradley

4. If the Heisman Trophy were to be awarded this week, there would be no shortage of candidates. The West Virginia duo is outstanding. Darren McFadden is tough to beat. Colt Brennan piles up the yards like crazy. Ray Rice. DeSean Jackson. All worthy possibilities. But if you want to find the player who is not only most valuable to his team but also perhaps the most productive and reliable player in college football, look no further than Michigan’s Mike Hart. With the Wolverines reeling from an humiliating 0-2 start, Hart guaranteed a win over Notre Dame (not exactly a Kreskin-worthy forecast, given ND’s horrible team) and then backed it up with a big performance. Last Saturday, with U-M trying to get a good start in the Big Ten and playing against a ferocious Penn State defense that ranked first in the nation against the run, Hart carried the ball a school-record 44 times for 153 yards and a touchdown, helping Michigan shorten the game and protect true freshman QB Ryan Mallett. A lot can happen between now and early December, but Hart has proven himself to be a standout so far.

Ball Spotting, Line Jumping
By Matthew Zemek

The SEC crew working the Florida-Ole Miss game twice ruled false starts when, in fact, the defensive line jumped to create movement. The SEC crew working the (higher-profile) South Carolina-LSU game managed to correctly apply this rule. Someone send a memo to the line judge who was working in Oxford on Saturday: false starts, if they're caused by the defense, aren't false starts.

As for ball spotting, two observations:

1) the spot that gave Penn State a fourth-down conversion at the Michigan 24 in the third quarter of Saturday's game was nothing short of atrocious. The ballcarrier had been stacked up in a pile, his body motionless for a good 2-3 seconds. A very late lean came well after the play ended.

2) Ball spots, when subjected to review, need to be given very precise detail by the referees who mark the ball and by the coaches (such as Steve Spurrier of South Carolina) who make challenges before fourth-down chain measurements. If a coach has a problem with a ball spot, he should make the mark on the field at the spot where the play ended (and officials should allow him to make the mark). When ball spots are reviewed, the challenge can then be framed in sufficiently specific terms: the 31 1/4 yard line versus the 31 1/2 yard line versus the 31 3/4 yard line. It's hard for officials to review a play involving a ball spot--let alone overturn it--when a few inches are in question. Coaches need to be able to determine just how many inches are involved in a possibly errant ball spot.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Who's Hot & Who's Not - Sept. 23 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
477879.jpg

Missouri's Jeremy Maclin
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 23, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

The hot and not aspects of the college football world this week.

[SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: [/SIZE]Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3

Who’s Hot …
Kentucky QB Andre Woodson
The senior isn't just climbing up draft charts, he's starting to creep into Heisman discussion after beating Louisville and Arkansas in back-to-back weeks. In last years' 24-20 win over Georgia, Woodson threw for 204 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions. Since then, over a span of eight games, Woodson has thrown for 22 touchdowns and no interceptions while averaging 300 yards per game. The Wildcats are 7-1 over that span.

Missouri's Jeremy Maclin
While not in the discussion of the best all-purpose players in America, that might quickly change now that he's No. 1 in the nation in all-purpose running. All the freshman has done over his first four games is run ten times for 122 yards and a touchdown, catch 21 passes for 244 yards and three touchdowns, return 12 punts for 200 yards and two scores, and average 22.2 yards per kickoff return. He's scored two touchdowns in three of his first four games.

Big Ten sacks
Dog the Big Ten all you want, but the league can get into the backfield. Michigan State leads the nation with 21 sacks, Penn State is second with 19, Indiana is third with 18. Michigan is eighth averaging 3.75 sacks per game. Illinois is 11th in the nation, Iowa and Ohio State tied for 20th, and Wisconsin is 40th.

Clemson QB Cullen Harper
Raise your hand if you thought Willy Korn would be the Clemson starting quarterback at this point of the year? Cullen Harper has made it hard for the star freshman to take over, currently seventh in the nation in passing efficiency completing 69% of his passes with 12 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell
The numbers are staggering. The junior has thrown for 1,963 yards and 19 touchdowns with two interceptions in four games. His yardage totals have been 419, 484, 414 and 646, coming last week against Oklahoma State. He has thrown for 350 yards or more in nine of his last ten games, averaging 438 yards per game over that span. Northwestern State is up next. However ...
Who’s Not …[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif]
Big bombing quarterbacks[/FONT]Throwing for a ton of yards didn't necessarily yield results this weekend. Ball State's Nate Davis threw for 422 yards and three touchdowns in the loss to Nebraska. Louisville's Brian Brohm chucked it for 555 yards and four touchdowns in a loss to Syracuse. Duke's Thaddeus Lewis threw for 428 yards and four touchdowns in a loss to Navy. Tulsa's Paul Smith fired away for 350 yards and two scores in the loss to Oklahoma. Graham Harrell fired away for 646 yards and five scores in the loss to Oklahoma State.
Louisville defenseAfter opening the year with a breather against Murray State, the Louisville defense has gone into the tank, allowing 555 yards and 42 points to Middle Tennessee, 460 yards and 40 points to Kentucky, and 465 yards and 38 points to Syracuse. To put this into perspective, Syracuse, after its great performance, is still 114th in the nation in total offense. Middle Tennessee is 108th. Next up is NC State.

Notre Dame total offense
Another week, another Notre Dame fun stat. The Irish attack is dead last in America, averaging 137 yards per game. 118th in the nation is Florida International, who averages 199 yards per game. The other 117 teams are all well over 200 yards. How bad is the Irish attack? San Jose State has the nation's 113th ranked attack, and it's cranking out twice as many yards as Notre Dame. Purdue is up next.
Florida teams on third downs (at least most of them)
Florida Gators, you're excused from this discussion. South Florida, you haven't been that bad, converting 39% of third down chances, good for 61st in the nation. Dead last, converting just 17% of third down tries, is Florida International. Florida State is 117th, converting just 23%, Miami is 109th, converting 29.4%, and UCF is 98th, converting 31.8%.

Rice vs. the Big 12
With Rice's 58-14 loss to Texas, the Owls are now 0-3 this year against the Big 12, losing to Baylor, Texas Tech and Texas by a combined score of 159 to 55. Including the old Southwest Conference days, Rice is 0 for its last 19 against teams currently in the Big 12, with the last win coming against Texas in 1994.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Weekly Affirmation </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 24, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

The big theme of this past weekend--as college football shifted into conference play--was painfully clear for a number of teams. It is the same theme that gives college football its vibrant, pulsating soul: emotions mean everything.

ByMatthew Zemek

Mr. Zemek's e-mail: mzemek@hotmail.com

Short-Form Weekly Affirmation: Fast Track Gold Club

Yes, this weekend wasn't about the Xs and Os, but the Jimmies and Joes. There's no need to be too detailed about it (if you want details and length, you'll read the Long-Form Weekly Affirmation and its regular essays): a number of clubs either displayed hangovers from the previous weekend, or crumbled in the face of in-game adversity.

Florida felt really good about itself after dismantling Tennessee. The Gators were stale and frail seven days after looking bold and controlled against the Vols.

Louisville was heartbroken by Kentucky. Then the Cardinals got stunned by Syracuse at home (as a 36-point favorite).

Nebraska put all its emotional eggs into one USC basket. Then Ball State came one dropped pass from making life even worse in Husker Nation.

Washington suffered a disappointing loss to Ohio State on Sept. 15, even though the Huskies didn't play that poorly against the defending national runner-up. Nevertheless, the nonexistence of UW's defense against UCLA indicated that the young pups in Seattle didn't have their heads into the game. UCLA had to run on every snap in the fourth quarter, when second-string quarterback Patrick Cowen went down with an injury and a walk-on (McLeod Bethel-Thompson) had to step in. But despite the pronounced advantage, the Huskies' generally solid defense didn't just allow points--it got eviscerated by the Bruins' offensive front. That's the sign that a team isn't emotionally "there."

Arkansas definitely showed up against Kentucky, but when a 66-yard fumble return provided a 10- to 14-point swing on one play, the Hogs' emotions took a nosedive, and Houston Nutt's team didn't recover for a whole quarter. Then, when up by eight points midway through the fourth quarter, a roughing-the-kicker penalty (on a missed field goal, no less) provided another massive momentum shift that the Razorbacks couldn't handle. Emotions are your best friend when things are going well, but they're a bear when adversity strikes. Houston Nutt is coaching at a solid and respectable level; he's just catching horrible breaks. It would be intellectually dishonest to say that Arkansas is losing because of coaching-based issues.

Colorado State outplayed Houston for most of the first three quarters, but one fumble return for a touchdown (sound familiar?) turned the game on a dime, as the Rams withered while Houston hummed in the final 17 minutes of regulation.

Two late-night Pac-10 games witnessed incredible runs fueled by momentum and emotions: Oregon State had a 19-0 run to start its contest against Arizona State, but once the resilient Devils--newly toughened by former Beaver coach Dennis Erickson--got off the ground, they never stopped. ASU scored the next 13 points and 44 of the next 51 to cruise to a comfortable win. And in Palo Alto, the mother of all pendulum swing games took place, as Oregon and Stanford traded huge haymakers. The Ducks started with a 21-3 surge, but the Cardinal answered with a 28-0 run, only for Mike Bellotti's team to respond with the game's final 34 points. When emotions start rolling in college football, the young men playing the game have a hard time stemming the tide. That's a timeless part of this youthful sport, but it once again resurfaced in a very big (and prominent) way on Saturday. Keep emotions in mind as the season progresses.

After some of Saturday's notable results, you could create some interesting logic chains, couldn't you?

Arkron beat Kent State who beat Iowa State who beat Iowa who beat Syracuse who beat Louisville.

UCLA beat BYU who beat Air Force who beat Utah who beat UCLA.

South Carolina beat Georgia who beat Alabama who beat Arkansas who beat Troy who beat Oklahoma State who beat Texas Tech.

Wofford beat Appalachian State who beat Michigan who beat Penn State. Yup--Joe Paterno could lose to Wofford if you followed this classic logic chain.

Finally, some quick hitters (the week's reflection questions appear below in the long-form essay):

Giving credit when credit is due, part one: Al Groh, you've been dumped on a lot in this space over the years. Nice win over Georgia Tech for a 3-0 ACC mark. Well done.

Giving credit when credit is due, part two: Ron Zook, you've been dumped on by America over the past several years. Nice job of getting to 3-1 overall. Your hard work is paying off. Well done.

Mike Patrick of ESPN had the most bizarre broadcasting moment I've encountered in a good long while Saturday night. During his broadcast of Georgia's heart-thumping overtime win over Alabama, Patrick--a seasoned and sober veteran of the TV biz, not some wayward youngster--made one of the most unprofessional and inane utterances I've ever heard from a voice of his stature and reputation. Just before Georgia's offense took the field in its overtime possession (which would last all of one play), Patrick took the time to ask Todd Blackledge, "What do you think about Britney's career?" The on-air words were confounding enough as it was, but Patrick's pained attempt to explain what he meant to his broadcast partner was even more baffling. Blackledge didn't know who "Britney" was. I wouldn't have known, either, given that I was riveted to an engrossing overtime football game between two fine teams in one of the sport's best settings. Patrick sucked the life out of a broadcast that was doing just fine, thank you, until that mind-numbing sequence distracted and confused the national television audience.

Long-Form Weekly Affirmation: Premium Members

Most mainstream journalists now realize that they must better explain themselves to the public, and be accountable for what they do — in the same way that they demand other professions be publicly accountable. They must invite citizens in, and welcome them. "News is no longer a lecture, but a conversation," as Dan Gillmor of the Center for Citizen Media has stated. - John Hamer, Seattle Times guest columnist, Sept. 22, 2007

Some weeks in a college football season can float by without much fanfare. This is true for teams, but it's also true for writers. October 6 will be the year's first high-voltage Saturday, as Texas faces Oklahoma and Florida encounters LSU in two games with national title implications. On that day, four teams will stare down a moment of reckoning. But in the writing business, any weekend has the potential to cause a firestorm and remind a columnist why this profession is both rewarding and taxing. The tensions that flowed through my inbox the past week offer stark evidence that the profession of journalism--and the specific arts of both column writing and dialogal criticism--still need to be explained with care and painstaking detail. If you deeply care about the state of journalism and college football journalism in particular, you need to read this week's essay, not because it's somehow "right," (it's not... more on that in a bit) but because it's human.

The two controversies that engulfed me--one on a very large scale, the other on a more intimate level--came from distinctly different parts of the country and involved two schools who come from different sides of the football tracks: Rutgers and Alabama. The Rutgers controversy is something you probably do know about: Scarlet Knight head coach Greg Schiano called three timeouts late in the second quarter with his team leading an FCS (formerly I-AA) opponent, Norfolk State, 45-0. Moreover, he did this at a time when Rutgers' public image had taken some hits (whether justified or not is a different question), thereby increasing the focus on Schiano's actions and elevating tension levels in and around the university. It was, in short, a perfect storm. When I criticized Schiano in CFN's "5 Thoughts" section last Sunday, Rutgers fans responded in large numbers to voice their displeasure.

With respect to the University of Alabama football program, a few regular Weekly Affirmation readers took issue with my dissection of single-game and single-season coaching performances. Attempts to inject moderate and measured tones into a discussion of Nick Saban's considerable strengths and Mike Shula's evident weaknesses were viewed as the equivalent of hate speech directed at Saban himself and the Bama program in general. I only heard from about ten people on this issue, but most of these ten responses came from Alabama fans who have clearly been keeping tabs on me for at least two years, if not more. All in all, two controversies--so different on the surface--evoked many of the same tensions that cry out for explanation and some degree of resolution.

Let's start with the Rutgers story and the reactions of Scarlet Knight fans to my criticism of Greg Schiano.

The point of this essay is not to regurgitate the arguments made in the past week; the point is to make light of those arguments and gain a better understanding of issues as a result. In order to improve our self-awareness as human persons, we need to learn how to handle--and verbalize--criticisms in a more effective manner. In order to edify each other so that we learn from mistakes and accept our mutual limitations, we need to understand the larger dynamics of various human relationships, in this case the relationship between columnists (about any subject, not just college football) and their readers. This will occupy the subject matter of this week's Long-Form Weekly Affirmation.

The first thing to understand about journalistic criticisms is that they involve numerous calculations and are not knee-jerk reactions (they only seem that way). In choosing to criticize Greg Schiano, I didn't just look at the final score. I didn't see the "42" in the second quarter and assume wrongdoing. I weighed a lot of different factors when evaluating Schiano's decision. Are these factors inherently or empirically "correct?" No, not necessarily. What's important to realize in all of this is that columnists--responsible ones, anyway--have a mapped-out and intricate mental architecture that informs their work. Arguments that will seem simplistic are advanced because a columnist feels that the initial process of issue evaluation has led him/her to feel that an argument will stand up under scrutiny. From this general process comes a deeper set of complexities that need to be unpacked.

Does a columnist aim to advance perfect, airtight arguments? Theoretically, perhaps, but not in the real world. The constraints of daily journalism prevent writers from attaining the level of specificity that would serve them better.

In an ideal world, I would like to write all pieces the way I'm writing this essay: with virtually no limits on the length of the piece, and with an understanding that my audience is reading these words not because it has to, but because it wants to. When I write my feature-length columns, I have the freedom and latitude to select issues, extend my thoughts, and explain concepts. In other contexts, I can't do these things... not to the extent that I'd want to, anyway.

Two to five times a year, I will write a guest op-ed column for Seattle's two daily newspapers. These columns have word lengths ranging from 550-750 words for a weekday column, and 1,000-1,500 words for a Sunday editorial. The longer the column, the greater the editing I receive. In these more tightly edited formats--given their appearance in newsprint, and not just in cyberspace--a writer invariably has to make sacrifices and accept concessions. The sad truth about column writing from the columnist's viewpoint is that normal word limits prevent issues from being discussed with the specificity and clarity they demand (not just deserve, but demand). A typical newspaper column will give a reader one strong idea wrapped in an emotional hook or a memorable image... if the columnist is lucky. The discussion of issues--in an elaborate, professorial, and nuanced way--is generally unattainable in a single column. A series of editorials might begin to inform the reader on systemic and structural levels.

What I hope you're beginning to see is that time is the enemy of everyone involved in the reader-journalist relationship. It's safe to say that almost all of the Rutgers fans who blasted me this past week hadn't read anything I had written about the program during its wonderful rise from the ashes last season. More specifically, they probably weren't regular Weekly Affirmation readers. The presentation of stories, the sharing of news feeds, and the cycling of content through multiple affiliated outlets (as is the case here at CFN, a partner of both FoxSports.com and the Scout.com Network) all lead to variations in visibility. These variations, in turn, bring about a very uneven relationship between the national football columnist and a diverse readership that is small on a national level but increases when regional populations take interest in certain portions of content. It's not the fault of Rutgers fans by any means, but it bears mentioning nevertheless: when regional/school-based fans read columns written by national football writers on outlets other than behemoths such as ESPN.com, they're reading those columns not because of an allegiance to the national columnist, but because of allegiance to their school. Fans of teams or conferences, in certain corners of the country, will read national football writers because the particular stories focus on their team or conference.

Once an article enters the public domain, then, fans will scour the Internet in search for team-specific content. Once an article of particular interest is found, it will be forwarded to the message boards at fan sites for that school or conference. That's when the tribalistic elements of fandom enter the picture: national articles--especially the critical ones--are immediately and emotionally digested and absorbed. Criticisms of a school or conference--no matter how precise or reasoned--invariably wind up being seen as "ruthless and irresponsible personal attacks by lazy journalists out to create controversy, gain eyeballs, and have some fun at our expense." Seven years of sitting in this chair have told me that this reality hasn't changed. Rutgers fans aren't bad at all--they are just like everyone else in America. The constraints of journalism--particularly time constraints--are the real enemy of both college football columnists and the college football fans who double as news consumers.

With that having been established, let's get back to the deeper tensions and questions of this Rutgers story.

If I had enough time and space to give the issue the specificity it truly demands, I would have elaborated on numerous fronts when criticizing Greg Schiano. With a 300-word limit, however, my commentary was limited, and when strong comments are made in limited space and a narrow context, feelings will get hurt--even if, ironically, the columnist is trying to frame his (her) argument in anything but a narrow context. So allow me--particularly if you are a Rutgers fan--to address the Schiano situation in a fuller fashion.

When any old person criticizes a major public figure (and college football coaches, for better or worse, have become exactly that in this day and age), it's usually just emotional venting. But when a columnist criticizes a major public figure, the landscape changes for everyone involved. Ordinary folks don't have professional responsibilities and ethical obligations when analyzing news events or the people involved in them. That's what I have to worry about as a columnist. If I criticize anyone for any reason, I need to make fair arguments that have some basis in fact and convey respect to the person I'm criticizing. Now, you should immediately ask, "what conveys respect?"

For starters, giving proper respect to a college football coach--or any other public figure--is rooted in an acknowledgment of at least one of two things: A) the tensions that person must face on the job, and B) past accomplishments produced by that public figure. Again, the point is not to determine whether my arguments about Greg Schiano were right or wrong; what matters to me, as a journalist, is that readers don't view journalists as lacking in professionalism or integrity when they merely make strong comments about a particularly popular or admired head coach. I might have been loud wrong about Schiano--whatever "wrong" means--but I darn sure wasn't irresponsible, and I definitely wasn't disrespectful. Schiano's accomplishments, past glories, and notable attributes--especially those revealed during his 2006 season--were clearly and frontally mentioned in my criticisms of him, both last Sunday (Sept. 16) and in the Weekly Affirmation (short-form section) from Sept. 10. If you acknowledge a man's good deeds while taking him to task for other questionable moves and decisions, it would take some really profane language or over-the-top gestures to convey true disrespect toward that public figure. People in the public eye, after all, have more power because of the positions they have attained. If not wealthy on a purely monetary level, public figures have the wealth known as leverage, the ability to influence and shape various realities in ways that lower-middle-class workers can't. This doesn't mean public figures are more deserving of criticism on personal levels; it means they demand more criticism as a function of both news analysis and public discussion of important social issues. (Notice, again, that the words "deserve" and "demand" are two very different animals; being clear about their meanings and implications would resolve a lot of reader-journalist tensions.) And in the case of the sports/entertainment world, a college football coach also demands media scrutiny and criticism because media resources and publicity mean more coverage to the program and more positive exposure for the university, which in turn leads to increased athletic department revenues that also accrue to the coach in the form of both salary, perks, and bonuses. In the sports world, coaches are paid to win games, but they're also surely paid to deal with the media and represent their university well.

When I criticized Greg Schiano, I didn't just criticize him as a man paid to win games; I criticized him as a man paid to deal with the media and to represent his university in the best possible way. With all this as prelude, I chose to criticize Schiano for the following reasons: first, this was a man who set a very positive example in 2006; second, I felt there was ample evidence to suggest that this good example was being undone in 2007 (again, whether you agree with my interpretation of evidence is beside the point; the main question I'm concerned with is whether I was unprofessional or lacking in integrity for making the arguments I made); third, there were off-field controversies that put Rutgers in the public eye and increased the level of news value pertaining to any story involving the university and/or its football program; fourth, I felt that a noble purpose or goal could have been achieved or at least pursued as a result of lodging my criticism.

On a deeper level--and pertaining to the process of "issue evaluation" that precedes the actual writing of a column or any kind of commentary on a public figure--I need to explain why I felt Schiano was trying to run up the score against Norfolk State.

Before anything else, I don't think (as some do) that you can do whatever you want in the first half of a football game. A number of Rutgers readers felt that the first half is always, but always, "off limits." That's a perfectly valid and understandable line of argument. I personally disagree, but I completely respect the arguments made by large numbers of Scarlet Knight fans. Nevertheless, I think each and every instance of "running up the score" has to be judged on its own merits. One thing I constantly try to express here in my weekly columns is the need for the college football community--from Seattle to Miami, from Piscataway to Pasadena, from Lincoln to Austin, from Ann Arbor to Baton Rouge--to develop some uniform standards that can help define and resolve various issues that always prove to be difficult.

I personally believe that if the opponent is in a lower division, you've scored at least 35 points in one quarter, and the point spread is equal to 35 points (if not greater), you shouldn't call three straight timeouts late in the first half. Many will disagree (certainly among Rutgers fans, which is their right), but that's the territory I've staked out. I would ask all readers--not just Rutgers fans--to help me in determining the standards that determine what it means to truly "run up the score." In order to to this, the following questions must be asked, thought about, and (after sufficient time for thought and contemplation) ultimately answered:

How many points must you lead by in order to run up the score (or is there no limit)? In what quarter/half/stage of the game can "running up the score" occur? When should starters be pulled? When should trick plays or long pass plays be shelved? When should timeouts not be used? When should you take a knee, if at all? When is it demeaning to the opposition to take a knee (if at all)? Does the level of opposition have any bearing on this issue? Does the point in the season have any bearing on this issue? Do outside factors (the Big East's very premature Heisman campaign for Ray Rice and other players, for example, or also the PR considerations brought about by off-field incidents involving Rutgers fans) have any bearing on this issue?

I can assure you, dear readers--especially those in the Rutgers community--that I asked myself each and every one of those questions in a long process of personal internal deliberation. After taking myself through this process, I felt that the answers satisfied my criteria for going public with my criticism of Schiano (or any other public figure). You're free to disagree, but don't feel that I arrived at my conclusions irresponsibly. Each individual can only answer certain questions for him(her)self. The key is if all people can manage to ask themselves the right questions when evaluating a given issue, public figure, or football debate. The answers will differ from person to person, but the questions determine the levels of professionalism and integrity in the individual journalist.

This brings us to a point that allows me to bring my Alabama readers into this discussion. Rutgers and Alabama fans--like all other college football fans, all other sports fans, and all readers of columnists about any subject in any publication, anywhere and anytime--are in constant need of a reminder about the art of vigorous but respectful debate: disagreement does not mean hatred or disrespect. It means disagreement, and nothing more.

Alabama fans who have read me closely since the 2006 Cotton Bowl (and who clearly monitor every syllable I write about their team) are both endearing and exasperating to me. Tide fans are endearing because I greatly admire their passion--I know what it means to care deeply about something, and that's a beautiful part of being human. On the other hand, I have a lot of draining arguments with Tide fans who will make up their minds about something even before I attempt to make any explanation. (I wonder how many Weekly Affirmation readers know people like that.) Shoot first, ask questions later--that's the kind of mindset that drives a columnist over the edge.

Some Tide fans are still upset with me for the literary license I used to describe the 2006 Cotton Bowl between Alabama and Texas Tech. I described the game as a classic contrast in styles, with Tech being the 22nd century team and Alabama being the 19th century team. The game was "high tech versus stone age." Surely, I can understand why some folks would think that I viewed Bama negatively, but it is admittedly rare for a columnist to be criticized not for game evaluations, but for literary turns of phrase used to describe an evenin an artful and colorful manner. What's really weird about the ongoing discussions that do take place with Bama fans about my coverage of the 2006 Cotton Bowl--discussions that resurfaced this past week--is that if Bama fans knew me on a personal and intimate level, they'd know that my values are much more PREMODERN than POSTMODERN. I like to debate with people in a postmodern way, but I wish to promote and uphold moral values that one would associate with the sphere of premodern ideas and ways of being. Deep in my soul, I long more for a 19th century perspective on life (with certain exceptions) than a 22nd century perspective. In many ways, I felt I was praising Alabama with my words, and not knocking the school's football team. As a sportswriter, I love it when teams stick to their identity and prevail in the face of imposing opposition. I also love it when teams rely on grit and determination to turn back more explosive opponents. The 2005 Crimson Tide represented a team that I greatly admired, and the 2006 Cotton Bowl was perhaps that team's finest hour. But oh, since I viewed them as "19th century," some Tide fans still think, to this very day, that I don't like the team or its fan base.

This same kind of tragic misunderstanding applies to the past week, in which Bama fans felt that by trying to bring some perspective (and more specifically, restraint) to Nick Saban worship (and to the criticism of coaches such as Lloyd Carr, who get put on the hotseat for single-game or single-season struggles), I was expressing "hatred" for Bama and Saban himself. I learned a lot from my interactions with Bama fans over the past several days, and I want to share some realizations that will serve you well in your own attempts to hold journalists accountable (in college football, but also in every other subject under the sun) while respecting them as individuals who--believe it or not--have human flesh and blood just as you do.

One big epiphany I gained from my recent interactions with Tide fans is as follows: many discussions between human beings--especially those involving a journalist and a reader--create frustration on both sides not because of the actual arguments made, but because of the premises on which one person bases a given set of arguments. In last week's Weekly Affirmation, I said that many different college football programs, at their own levels of struggle (which vary from one program to another),have a tough time attaining a high position and staying there over an extended period of time. The key is that italicized reference with the parenthetical tucked inside it. I made it clear that I was about to list many programs that, while different in many ways, were linked under the terms that I had personally set forth before continuing my discussion. I was, in other words, establishing my own premise for my arguments. I was framing the terms of a debate that I was starting. In this way, I hoped to stimulate fresh thought about a subject that is discussed much less often than it should be. That's what columnists are supposed to do, whether they're sports columnists, metro columnists, foreign affairs columnists, or sex advice columnists. But instead of reading fresh thoughts in my inbox, I encountered years-old antagonisms who just thought that I was trying to pile on Nick Saban and Alabama.

This leads to the second major realization I gained from a week of Alabama e-mails: the premise of an argument is just as relevant to a given discussion as the argument itself. When Bama fans and I were talking at--or sometimes past--each other this past week, the problem was not that Bama fans provided arguments that were deficient or wrong (they were perfectly valid arguments in and of themselves); it's that Bama fans were simply not accepting some (maybe all) of the premises behind my arguments. Of course Alabama is not on the same footing as Kansas in a number of respects; of course Mike Shula is a very inferior coach when compared to Nick Saban; of course I have personally viewed a lot of Saban's past actions in a negative light; of course I think that Bama shelled out too much money for Saban. I have never contradicted or denied any of these four statements in my articles. Vigilant, alert Bama fans who have tracked my work over many years know these things, and they know I hold the above set of views--they aren't ignorant of my personal opinions or the writings that have contained said opinions. They know where I stand on issues, and I give Bama fans a tremendous amount of credit for caring enough about my work to track it on an extended basis. The problem is that some Bama fans know me well enough--albeit only on an emotional level--to accurately and correctly think that I'm not exactly a member of the Nick Saban Appreciation Society. Unlike my experience with Rutgers fans this past week, my encounter with Bama fans involved a number of individuals who were angry at me not because they knew nothing about me, but because they've been keeping tabs on me for at least two years. Familiarity, not foreignness, led to friction between a journalist and some of his readers.

One Bama fan in particular was very eloquent and perceptive in picking up on these kinds of realities. We had exchanged e-mails several times over the past few years (columnists will remember familiar names and e-mail addresses, believe me), and so when our conversations became particularly involved (civil, but contentious) a few days ago, we had both arrived at a point where our emotions and thought processes had been nakedly exposed to the other. The Tide fan/CFN reader could see inside my mind, and I could see inside his--it was a wonderful experience for me, because it is the desire of a journalist, particularly a columnist, to forge relationships with readers that come to acquire appreciable depth and understanding. So many arguments occur between journalists and readers (as in the Rutgers firestorm) because there's a total lack of familiarity between the two sides. Once feelings and deeper layers of personal experience begin to be shared, however, both people will usually understand where the other guy is coming from. Disagreements remain, but they no longer cause deep pain or anger; differences persist, but they no longer lead the reader to think that the journalist is lacking in professionalism or integrity. Arguments are exchanged, but at least both sides acknowledge that the premises of the arguments are different (which is precisely what reduces a lot of the tensions and raw emotions that get in the way of a fair and respectful but vigorous argument between two adult human beings).

I could perhaps continue--there are, believe it or not, many more aspects of these issues that could use a full explanation--but I think at this point that you've begun to get a really good look at the behind-the-scenes world of college football column writing and one columnist's interactions with his readers, in both New Jersey and Alabama. For fans of a newcomer to the spotlight (Rutgers), or for fans of an old-money national power (Bama), the principles of professional integrity and respectful conversation are the same. For fans unfamiliar with me or fans who are very familiar with me, the relationship between premises and arguments remains unchanged. For readers who are critical of journalists and readers who don't pay much attention to journalism, the dyanmics of the profession nevertheless place limits on what a columnist can achieve in a given amount of space and time. For those who are inclined to give public figures the benefit of the doubt or for those who are skeptical of public figures, the need to fairly scrutinize--but scrutinize indeed--said public figures will always remain a core mission of journalists everywhere.

Greg Schiano is a good human being whom I still admire, but will criticize when I feel it's necessary. He's a big boy--he can take criticism if it's respectful and, particularly, if it acknowledges his many positive attributes and public achievements that have given Rutgers fans a lot of happiness. Nick Saban is someone whose actions, in my opinion, have left something to be desired, but if the man achieves on the football field, I will give the man his due. The Alabama fans who can see inside my mind will nevertheless read stories whose words will portray events the way they should be portrayed: with fairness and a reasonable basis in fact. It doesn't mean I'll be inherently more "correct" than other observers, but it will mean that I'm respecting other people and, just as importantly, the profession of journalism.

If college football writing--like any other endeavor--doesn't somehow increase respect and understanding between and among human persons, it's not worth doing. If college football writing doesn't provide some degree of social benefit at a time when college sports (like the pros decades earlier) have become billion-dollar businesses that demand intense scrutiny, I'll check out of this gig for good. Until then, though, please know that when I write something, I write it for many different reasons after asking, weighing and answering hundreds of individual questions. I will often be imperfect, and I will never have a monopoly on truth or claim to know more than everyone else. But I will have integrity--you won't be able to disagree with me on that particular point. Everything I've said in this essay will hopefully lead you to that one precious conclusion... after all, as I said earlier, a normal column will convey one basic idea to the reader...

...if the columnist is lucky.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Monday Morning Quarterback </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 24, 2007
</TD><TD noWrap>

With a paucity of really close games over the past weekend, the biggest play-calling issue to emerge from week four of the 2007 season was an unexpected one: fake field goals, and more specifically, when to expect them.

ByMatthew Zemek

Mr. Zemek's e-mail: mzemek@hotmail.com

The issue of defending against fake field goals (and while we're at it, fake punts--though that's an appreciably different animal for a number of evident reasons) is made difficult because so many kicks can be (and are) blocked. Usually, going after a kick offers a great chance for a team to make an impact play that can change not just fortunes, but momentum. Few things fire up a team quite like blocking a kick, so it's wise for coaches to aggressively attack kicks instead of sitting back against them.

Like all other rules or principles, however, they're made to be broken--there are times when you have to make exceptions.

It was entirely understandable that South Carolina attacked Colt David's field-goal attempt in the second quarter of Saturday's game against LSU. The kick would have given the Tigers a two-possession lead, so there was considerable value in attacking the kick and trying to keep the lead at seven points. Moreover, Matt Flynn and David executed the fake so perfectly that you just had to tip your cap (or visor, as was the case with a smiling Steve Spurrier) and fight the next battle. With that said, however, there should always be clues and cues that can tip off a team to a fake, and if the Head Ball Coach thought long and hard enough, he still could have sniffed out a fake against LSU.

There was nothing alarming or unique about the formation involved in LSU's fake field goal, but the hint should have come on the previous play, a third and long on which Tiger offensive coordinator Gary Crowton ordered a vanilla running play into the heart of the line. It wasn't a change-of-pace run, a misdirection run, or any kind of running play with some funky stuff thrown in. It was billy basic, cookie-cutter, Main Street, plain-jane unsweetened oatmeal. No taste, no excitement, no risk at all. With Matt Flynn struggling as a downfield passer, that play call had to elicit a long and profound "hmmmmmmmmmm....." from the Gamecock sideline. Given the rare sequence that preceded the fourth down situation, a fake became a much greater possibility. When this happens, just wait for the fake and try not to block the sucker. Spurrier shouldn't have been expected to know it was coming, but just the same, he could have picked up on signs that something strange was afoot.

If you watched ESPN Classic's broadcast of the Army-Boston College game from Saturday, you would have seen a situation in which a coaching staff should have been expected to sniff out a fake. Army's kicking game is weak; the Black Knights hadn't even attempted a kick of over 40 yards on the season, and punter Owen Tolson was handling the placekicking duties against Boston College. When Army, down 16-0, had a 4th and 5 at the BC 31 midway through the second quarter, BC coach Jeff Jagodzinski--who is still having an exceptional year (one call or reaction does not a coaching season make)--should have had his alarm bells ring. A 48-yarder by a fill-in placekicker? In a 16-point game? On the road? Hell--let's see the Army kicker make the field goal with zero BC players on the field, let alone all eleven. There would be precious little point in trying to block the kick for every possible reason. It would do little to chip into BC's lead, and a miss would have given the Eagles solid field position at their own 31. The only bad thing that could happen would be for a fake to bust a big gainer. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened, as holder Andrew Rinehart flipped the pigskin to Mike Evans, who rumbled 24 yards for an easy first down up the right sideline. The only question I was asking myself before the play started was, "Is Army quick-kicking a punt, or are they faking it?"

If you think long and hard enough, you'll quickly come to the realization that in the world of kicks--especially field goals--there are some situations in which it is both advisable to anticipate a fake and strategically safe to allow a kick to take place. When these situations emerge, there's no excuse for being snookered by a fake field goal. South Carolina and Steve Spurrier generally come out okay in this discussion, but Jeff Jagodzinski and Boston College have very little excuse. Of course, the way the season's going in Chestnut Hill, this might be the only weakness Jagodzinski has displayed. Nevertheless, he--and other coaches in similar situations, in this season and beyond--need to pay closer attention to the world of mysterious-looking field goals that carry little strategic benefit to the team that is ready to attempt them... or so one thinks.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Good luck this week Ross...great line on Buckeyes...me likely

BTW..your thread this week is gangsta!

Thanks, BAR. I'm scratching my head at any Big 10 team giving 21 on the road, but I think Minnesota just sucks that badly.

PROFILES IN DISILLUSION
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 10:17:49 AM EDT
</I>

Conquered favorites and other notables picking up the pieces of shattered ambition this week:
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. Just Al.com: Not everyone is rending garments over the unthinkable vanquishing of Saban, but as usual, the Alabama papers express a fair degree of unanimity in the wake of defeat:
saban_mad.jpg

Doesn't have time for this losing shit.
- - -

The latter is the harshest -

• A strength? In the preseason, yes.
    A weakness? Four games into the season, yes. That's the split personality of Alabama's passing game

- - -
- which seems a little rash a week after John Parker Wilson posted career highs in yards and touchdowns and outduelled the leading contender for the Trophy Which Shall Not Be Named in a dramatic comeback, and hit key passes on consecutive 61 and 88-yard scoring drives to get the UGA game into overtime Saturday. The buzzword here for now is "missed opportunities," which (as homers in and outside of the team are wont to do) acknowledges an overthrow before it acknowledges the defensive pressure that forced it.
Cecil Hurt captures the general non-panic in the Tuscaloosa News, where this loss (maybe just this one) wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the way the damn thing ended:
  • Throughout the first 50 minutes or so of the Alabama-Georgia game, the lesson seemed obvious.
    The process, as Nick Saban calls it, isn't simply a magic carpet ride to success. It involves pain. It involves adversity. It's a journey that will be years, not weeks, in duration.
    Then, in the last 10 minutes of regulation, it seemed like that lesson -- so simple, so grounded in the reality of life as we know it -- was going to go flying out the window. Perhaps Alabama, improbably, was going to find a way to win again, in spite of some areas where the talent isn't yet available.
    Forget about pain and adversity, those last 10 minutes seemed to scream. The Crimson Tide, it appeared, was going to once again find a way to roar from behind and win.
    Saban, despite all the protestations to the contrary, really did seem to have a magic wand. Wave it once, and the Tide will go on an improbable 88-yard touchdown march. Wave it again and Georgia's Brandon Coutu, one of the nation's better place-kickers, would miss a long field goal as time expired. Then came overtime, with a stark reminder. Sometimes, reality can be suspended. Sometimes, with great effort, it can be bent to the will of a particular team, as Alabama did last week against Arkansas. But it cannot be denied forever.

- - -
A startling concession to the universe in its battle with the powers of Saban, contrary to the stereotypical Alabaman line re: reality vs. religion. Maybe evolution should get itself one of them win-loss records. The people seem to respect that.
: Reserve running back Michael Smith was arrested and charged with a second degree felony Sunday for running up almost $100 on a stolen credit card, reportedly given to him by a friend (also charged) to pay back a debt. It's just as likely, though, that said "friend" was influenced by Darksider forces to plant the card as retribution for, in consecutive Razorback defeats, Smith's failure to pick up an icing first down on Arkansas' final full possession against Alabama and his crucial second quarter fumble Saturday against Kentucky, returned for a touchdown that "let a lot of air out" of an otherwise dominant stretch by the Hogs - that is, by Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Smith will miss this week's game with North Texas, at least, and in all likelihood will not be missed.
As if anyone needed any incentive, Houston Nutt extolled the mob to blame Arkansas' fifth loss in six games on him, and somehow, like a true martyr, justified its scorn:
  • "I heard [the boos ]," Arkansas Coach Houston Nutt said. "I've been booed before. They paid their ticket, so they can do that."
    - - -
They can, coach, and they will. And then they will FOIA your headset conversations. Why did you ask about a post to Monk when Monk is hurt, you idiot?! You had to be reminded? Fire the bastard! : The local Centre Daily Times runs a weekly "Good, Bad and Ugly" column. Try to guess the longest of those entires in this week's assessment, which begins thusly:

11-18-00cm-7b.jpg

Jay Paterno: good, bad or ugly? Yes, and Penn State message boards demand more options.
- - -

• Penn State's first four offensive plays against Michigan -- two rushes, one quarterback scramble and a punt, with a false start penalty thrown in for good measure -- totaled minus-4 yards. Its last four plays -- four straight incompletions by quarterback Anthony Morelli to end the game -- went for 0 yards.
    All eight -- and the 52 plays in between -- came against a Michigan defense that had allowed 34 points to Appalachian State and 39 points to Oregon. The Nittany Lions mustered nine points in their ninth straight loss to the Wolverines on Saturday in Michigan Stadium, proof that the concerns about the offense during the season's first three games were not unfounded. Penn State's playcalling was passive and its execution shoddy during its fourth loss in its last six road games.

- - -
Or, if you want to step back and look at the bigger picture:
  • We were told Michigan and Penn State are two of the Big Ten's best teams. We also were told this was one of the weekend's best games.
    That's like being told to take a whiff from a skunk instead of an elephant.
    Some solid teams might play close games in the Midwest this season. Some of those teams -- perhaps Penn State or Michigan -- will attend lucrative bowl games during the holidays.
    But forget scores and records for a moment.
    Condense the mind, and try to recall one memorable play that didn't involve a turnover during a game 111,310 either wealthy, bored or intoxicated people paid to see.
    There's a reason the Big Ten went 2-5 in bowl games last season.
    There might also be a reason cable companies haven't adjusted their lineups to carry the Big Ten Network. Big Ten football has turned into a painful viewing experience.
    Michigan didn't beat Penn State because it attempted -- or accomplished -- anything spectacular. The Wolverines won because they pounced on fumbles.

- - -
That's pretty kind, actually, when put next to the inevitable "Fire the Coach's Son!" bromides in the comments section. Or the article in the same paper that compares the Lions' offense to Buffalo and Florida International. If there's a difference.
Redefining `cutthroat leadership': Mike Gundy is stealing Cap'n Leach's YouTube thunder for attacking a reporter after Oklahoma State's wild win over Texas Tech, but if you've never heard a coach call an offense that ran up more than 700 yards "frontrunners," well, you have now:
  • "This is going to hurt some feelings ... but here's what we had this game. What we had this game was we had an offense that was extremely powerful, extremely productive, that probably sits and reads their press clippings, and then in arrogant fashion, sat around the sidelines with their arms folded for most of the second half. "And then defensively, the entire first half, we got hit in the mouth and acted like somebody took our lunch money and all we wanted to do was have pouty expressions on our faces until somebody daubed our tears off made us (expletive) feel better. Then we'd go out there and try harder after our mommies told us we were OK."
    - - -
What happens when The Dude of high stress professions starts swearing at reporters over his defense? The scurvy defensive coordinator walks the plank:
  • Texas Tech defensive coordinator Lyle Setencich resigned Sunday, a day after the Red Raiders gave up four big-play touchdowns and three individual 100-yard rushers in a 49-45 loss at Oklahoma State.
    Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said head coach Mike Leach moved to make the change. "Mike told me early this morning that he was going to talk to Lyle today about this,'' Myers said. "Mike did initiate it and felt he needed to talk to Lyle about it, and so that's what transpired. ... I think they just decided that a change needed to be made on defense.''
    [...]
    "The biggest thing is he's got some personal, family issues to deal with,'' Leach said. "Trying to take care of both, I think, was a tall order for anybody. So we wish him and the family the best.''

- - -
Family issues: according to his replacement, Sentenich's wife has been hospitalized for several days. She suffered a brain bleed (similar to a stroke, according to the Avalanche-Journal) in 2005. So Oklahoma State's formation tendencies on 3rd-and-6 are obviously not much of a priority. Elsewhere in despair...

<DIV class=blockquote style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FLOAT: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; WIDTH: 141px; PADDING-TOP: 1px" width="140px"
419333.jpg
Kragthorpe: This job looked so easy...
- - -</DIV>
Steve Kragthorpe knew what he was getting into when he made the step up to Louisville, except for that whole impending-catastrophe-of-youth-and-depth-on-defense thing: "I've never given up this many deep balls since I was in junior high."

Louisville hasn't been very good for that long, but it still feels to UL partisans like Kragthorpe is ripping apart ten years of hard work, block by block. Blake Mitchell led a fine first quarter touchdown drive at LSU, which says something, but the subsequent failure of the offense under Mitchell the rest of the game is the segue to the official welcome of the Chirs Smelley era at South Carolina. Well, for now - Steve Spurrier likes Smelley's quicker release under pressure, which also serves as a backhanded blow to Mitchell's hesitancy in the pocket, but such qualms have a dubious and, unless Smelley is Dany Wuerffel in waiting, typically short-lived fate in the Ball Coach's history.

Is Oregon for Real?

Posted Sep 24th 2007 8:29AM by Sean Hawkins
Filed under: Oregon Football, Pac 10
dennis-dixon-michigan-throw.jpg
Oregon had a weird game on Saturday with Stanford in their Pac-10 opener. Weird in that they had a big lead, only to see the whole thing evaporate when they gave up a whopping 28 points to Stanford in the second quarter. Uh-oh, ESPN.com went with the "Upset Alert" on their scoreboard page. Stanford was leading Oregon 31-24 at the half. The same Stanford team that won one game in 2006, a team many pan as one of the worst among the BCS conferences and surely the worst in the Pac-10.
But of course, that's why they play four quarters, not just two. The Ducks exploded in the second half, simply sprinting away from Stanford by outscoring them 31-0 after halftime for a 55-31 win. Dennis Dixon went crazy, going 27-for-36 for 367 yards and four TD's through the air, as well as another TD on the ground. The Ducks piled up 589 total yards of offense, and the way the second half went, it felt like they could score 100 points if they felt like it. But was their first-half struggle against Stanford a warning sign about the Ducks? Are they truly a near-top-10 team? Or is another promising start about to fade, just like 2006?
jstewart-240sm.jpg
First of all, Oregon's offense has been nothing short of spectacular in 2007. They are averaging an amazing 48.5 points per game, with a Pac-10 high 25 TD's. The passing offense has been OK, but it's the running game that boggles the mind. The Ducks average almost 300(!) yards per game on the ground. They are tops in the conference in total offense by a wide margin, averaging 536.8 yards per game (USC is #2 at 462 yards per game). QB Dennis Dixon is leading the conference in total offense, while RB Jonathan Stewart is the #1 rusher in the conference, already with 503 rushing yards in just four games. The most impressive thing about Stewart is that he's averaging 7.7 yards per carry, while averaging 125 yards per game, all tops in the Pac-10.
Needless to say, the Ducks have taken to this new spread offense from offensive coordinator Chip Kelly, like, well, a duck takes to water. It couldn't be a better fit with a QB like Dixon at the controls, where the Oregon offense spreads the field, the tempo is quick and Dixon has free reign. It's probably time that both Dixon and Stewart start showing up in the numerous Heisman lists that start to pop up about now, as both of these guys are clearly on an elite level.
Defensively, the Ducks aren't terrible, but they are in the lower division in the conference ratings. They are 8th in the conference in total defense, giving up 409.8 yards per game. The rushing defense has been an issue, which includes a whopping 315 rushing yards allowed vs. Houston. The 31 points allowed vs. Stanford also has to be a little disturbing to head coach Mike Bellotti. The good news is that Oregon is #1 in the conference in turnover margin at plus-7. Turnovers are always a big deal, and particularly with Oregon last year, where they were minus-10 in turnover margin. They had several games in 2006 where they out-gained their opponents but turnovers did them in. As much as the defense has been generous in 2007, when you are winning the turnover battle and your offense is scoring almost 50 points per game, things are pretty good in Eugene.
So obviously Oregon is racking up yards and points in a dominating fashion, and the Ducks are now up to #11 in the AP poll. But things get real in a hurry this week. #6 Cal comes to town for a huge game this Saturday at Autzen, the first big Pac-10 showdown of 2007. Cal is widely regarded as the conference's second best team behind USC, but this Saturday will tell a lot about where things stand. Plus Oregon has a major ax to grind with the Berkeley Bears. Last year, Oregon was undefeated at 4-0, and were coincidentally #11 in the nation when they took on Cal on the road, and they were humiliated 45-24. That loss would start a major tailspin for the Ducks, finishing out the string at 3-5 including a bowl game loss to BYU. But the schedule is clearly favorable this year, as Oregon gets Cal, USC, ASU and the Civil War vs. OSU at home this year, where it's always tough for the opponents in sold-out Autzen Stadium. So, is Oregon for real? We're about to find out.

Since I'm taking tOSU this week, might as well throw this in:

Fifteen Plays, Four Touchdowns

September 24, 2007 12:16 AM -- Filed in: Football | Game Analysis
http://<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1079049493" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1203052368&playerId=1079049493&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://services.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="286" height="277" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

The game was over after the first three plays from scrimmage. That's when Ohio State scored their first touchdown which began a beating that assaulted and robbed the Wildcats of their dignity. Plus, any glimmer of hope by Northwestern was dashed in an instant when 6'8", 340lbs Steve Rehring speared a fumble on the first series like he was a svelte 6'2" WR. The fumble occurred on Ray Small's end-around that was highly successful except he failed to finish the play with the ball. Ohio State recovered - ergo Steve Rehring - and the rout was in progress.

Among other things, the Tyrell Sutton - Chris Wells battle of Akron did not materialize. Sutton tried to play but was ruled out after warm-ups leaving our opponent with virtually no credible threat. The end result was a 58-7 win for Ohio State in a game they literally could have named the score if not for substitutions. It was so good there were a plethora of absurd statistics in the first half when the Buckeyes jumped out 45-0. Consider:
  • Ohio State scored three touchdowns in their first 11 offensive plays from scrimmage.
  • Scored their 4th touchdown on the 15th offensive play.
  • Added a defensive touchdown in between for spice.
  • Started 9 of 11 drives in Northwestern territory.
So, how else is Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald supposed to respond:
"We obviously have a long way to go."​
Might want to add a 'very' somewhere in there. Northwestern is a shell of themselves which isn't saying much. And, it doesn't get much easier for them as they take on Michigan and Mike Hart next week. Hart will get a 170 yards on 41 carries and announcers and bloggers worldwide will need bibs.
raygunformation.jpg

Anyway, back to Ohio State. I have posted my game analysis and Play of the Week. On the former, I talk about the effects of the introduction of the Shot-Ginn, check that - Ray-Gun formation (see screenshot, sorry for small size). Also a few words about Tyler Whaley's effectiveness as a legitimate I-Formation fullback and, of course, all this is tempered by remembering who we played. Oh and the PoW isn't really true because if it were, Steve Rehring would be profiled. Instead, I picked something a little more glamorous, like big Vern's touchdown. Let me know what you think.​

Finally, enjoy the BTN video above and Jim Davidson's photos. The polls are also out and they tell us what we've always known. We're the class of the Big Ten right now.​

Nutt suspends Hogs' RB after arrest

Posted: Sunday September 23, 2007 11:58PM; Updated: Sunday September 23, 2007 11:58PM

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- Arkansas running back Michael Smith was arrested Sunday on suspicion of using a stolen credit card.
Smith was arrested on felony charges of forgery and theft by receiving. Coach Houston Nutt suspended him indefinitely and said the sophomore will not play next weekend when the Razorbacks host North Texas.
"I am extremely disappointed that he made a decision that reflects poorly on him and the Razorbacks," Nutt said in a statement. "He has been suspended indefinitely. He will not play this weekend and additional actions will be considered after we have an opportunity to fully review the situation."
Smith, whose fumble in the second quarter was a key play in the Razorbacks' 42-29 loss to Kentucky on Saturday night, was expected to remain in jail overnight. A court date was to be set Monday.
According to a police report, another person was arrested for fraudulent use of a credit card, and Smith is suspected of using the same stolen card. Smith said the other person owed him money for gas and gave him the credit card to use.
"Smith was very concerned and stated that he had no knowledge that the card was stolen," the report said. "Smith did admit to making purchases with it."
According the report, Smith used the card for three transactions worth a total of $96.34.

Back