Yankees vs Red Sox Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Detective Wanted to Locate Missing Runs in Yankees-Red Sox Clash

The Yankees host storied rival Boston to start a three-game set tonight at 7:05 ET. Both lineups are famously prolific, but the starting pitchers will steal the show tonight.

Boston Red Sox (54-27, 38-40-3 O/U) at New York Yankees (52-26, 33-42-3 O/U)

MLB Pick: 1H Under

Boston southpaw Eduardo Rodriguez (9-2, 3.86 ERA) looks to maintain his strong form. He’s allowed two runs or fewer in six of his last seven starts, the exception coming when he faced Seattle for the second time in a week. His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) is down .43 from last season. He’s achieving more strikeouts and allowing fewer walks and homers. His stuff shows improvement because he is throwing inside the strike zone less often but getting batters to chase pitches outside the zone more often. He’s also allowing lower line drive and hard contact percentages.

His biggest difference from last season has been his reduced fastball usage. He leaned too heavily on this pitch, which made him more predictable and made the opposing slugging against his fastball higher. For example, he threw it 70% of the time against lefties, 64% against righties, when behind in the count. This season, he’s reduced both percentages by 15, so that opponents have a harder time expecting the fastball. His new weapon has been to develop a cutter, which is the main pitch eating into his fastball usage. Opponents are slugging .293 against it with only two doubles in 241 tries. His cutter primarily induces ground balls, so it largely explains his 6.1% increase in ground ball percentage.

This is a tough spot in recent history for Yankee bats. Since 2017, the Yanks have mustered two runs or fewer in the first five innings of every home series opener against Boston. Overall, the Yanks consistently hit the „under“ against lefties, 66.7% of the time. Recently, the „under“ has hit in eight of their last nine home games. On May 10, Rodriguez allowed just one hit in five innings in New York and the Yanks will try to hit him without catcher Gary Sanchez.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Southpaw CC Sabathia (4-3, 3.18 ERA) also enjoys good from for the Yanks. He’s allowed two runs or fewer in three of his last four starts. In his last two, he boasts a 14:2 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

Given his inability to throw as hard as he used to, Sabathia no longer relies on a four-seam fastball, pumping instead a sinker, cutter, and slider with extra frequency. His sinker has been his most effective pitch with a .267 opposing slugging percentage. He relies on it especially against lefties in all scenarios. With its strong horizontal movement, it’s especially elusive as he aims to throw it away from them. For instance, he hits the farthest right middle spot in the zone 17.20% of the time against lefties. Against righties, his top weapon is his cutter. Against righties, he locates it most frequently on the periphery and highest row of the zone. They’re batting .212 against it. Against both right- and left-handed batters, Sabathia’s goal is precise location away from the more hittable parts of the plate. His cutter and sinker share nearly identical vertical and horizontal release points, so Sabathia benefits from deceiving his batters as to which pitch is approaching them.

Red Sox batters have seen much of Sabathia, but with little success. In 148 career at-bats, active Boston hitters have only two homers against him and four doubles. They’re slugging .318 against him. Xander Bogaerts, for example, is 5-for-30 (.167) against Sabathia and J.D. Martinez 2-for-10 (.200). Last season, Sabathia was 4-0 with a 1.04 ERA in four starts against the Red Sox. This season, Sabathia saw them once, allowing four runs in four innings. But he achieved 5:0 strikeout-to-walks, a season-high opposing ground ball percentage, and, most tellingly, a 1.41 xFIP. xFIP is like FIP, but also accounts for how many homers a pitcher should have allowed assuming a league average homer-to-fly-ball ratio. This metric indicates that Sabathia’s individual performance was strong.

Overslept my 2 a.m. nap so I was like shit I need to write this. Already knew what I wanted to pick tho

You can assume I didn't request this one just because it's a prolific match-up because I hate prolific match-ups, would much rather do a Reds/Pirates type game and look at lesser-known or up-and-coming pitchers. But I think this is definitely the play here. Debated on Boston 1H with its recent trend against lefties, but Sabathia's history against them is strong even later in last season when Boston was already hitting lefties and his form has been good as well.

Raems i appreciate the insight. Especially valid with Ed’s flyball tendencies. Not going nuts with wager size by any means.

Think I’m gonna back Mikolas since price has dropped to pretty reasonable. Gonna excuse the offense for the poor showing Thursday since we knew it was coming. Fully expect bats to look better against Teheran who is a boarder line gas can at times! Carp on fire plus him and ozuna have absolutely crushed Teheran so think we will post a solid run total. Mikolas has come back to earth sons but he still a top notch innings eater at worst so woukd expect he goes 6-7 and atm I’m totally confident in the pen finishing the rest. I like 6-3 cards:

Think I’m gonna back Mikolas since price has dropped to pretty reasonable. Gonna excuse the offense for the poor showing Thursday since we knew it was coming. Fully expect bats to look better against Teheran who is a boarder line gas can at times! Carp on fire plus him and ozuna have absolutely crushed Teheran so think we will post a solid run total. Mikolas has come back to earth sons but he still a top notch innings eater at worst so woukd expect he goes 6-7 and atm I’m totally confident in the pen finishing the rest. I like 6-3 cards:

I smell another hitting slump?

I smell another hitting slump?

Un-fuckin-real bro. Couldn’t even get a full week of good offense from these bitches. Not gonna lie I was scared after 1st when we got b2b walks then sorry mf’ers couldn’t advance the runners and even manufacture shit! As good as Mikolas was just getting one there could have changed everything.

Mikolas certainly deserved better, hell he was even better than box score suggested. Most those hits were infield dribblers and seeing eye variety. Not to mention matheny pulling him after couple of those letting someone else give up his run. I don’t like that at all, I think he has earned the right to stay in and fight his way out of the inning. If he gives it up so be it, then pull him, bet your ass matheny wouldn’t have yanked waino in that spot!! Didn’t like gomber as the choice either, nothing against the kid but he young and very new to a pen role, don’t think he should be the guy to put that kind of fire out especially considering Mayers splits are great vs lefties. Was kinda sad watching gomber come in and bounce a curve off guys helmet for his only pitch and knowing that was prob the game! Lol.. one last matheny gripe, why use hicks in a game we trailing?? Same as bringing closer in non save spot, I don’t like it. If he wanted to use hicks should have brought him in when gomber came in. Now hicks spent for 2marro! Just dumb.

Obviously none that stuff really mattered for todays result as the offense reverted back to straight garbage. I been saying Pham needed moved down in the order but not if matheny answer for the 2 hole is stinking Greg Garcia! Did he miss the memo that everyone putting one of best bats in the 2 hole?!?!? Lol. Until the 9th we were putting one of our impressive more errors than hits performances! This team really sickens me at times! Lol. I had when they put up one these pathetic performances on Friday cause I won’t get to hear Bernie mikolaz slam them on radio! Lol. I think they aware of this actually and usually salvage a good game on Sunday before he goes back on air!! Lol.. oh and wtf was Bader doing in 9th with 2 on 2 out trailing by 4 (as in him getting on base most important thing) and on a 2-1 pitch he swings at a fastball in his fucking eyes!! Again doubt it matters but I was really envisioning (maybe hopefully wishful thinking) Fowler who was on deck coming in and tying it to get himself going right direction!! I’m being too fan-ish atm!! Lol..

Looking at this kid atl pitching 2marro while I’m getting skittish on our offense again I want to say we can hit him. Pretty confident braves will hit weaver. So looking at a potential over (havnt checked ump). No way can I back cards at current price, I suspect it will come down so if anyone likes braves they should prob grab overnight. If ya like cards wait. Line shouldn’t be higher than it was today.,

Bad night for us Bank

All because damn muts scratched degrom. Loved the 1st 5 under in Miami. Alcantara has great stuff, new he could limit muts for 5. So I did play fish after change but still played ff under w some unknown scrub for muts like a idiot. Lol. Wasn’t on your play but put up a 1-3 stinker on my own (looking like 1-4 after lad gm stays under). Guess was due for a bad 1.. back at it 2marro!

Yöu wanted Fowler to come up to bat? You mistype?

Lol, nope. Not that I really expected it but had the notion in my head he was gonna tie it up and propel himself to a solid 2nd half!! (Cards have been quite good at late comebacks this year) Let’s be real, it makes no damn sense he been so bad, he not that old, theveheels just don’t fall off on a guy at tail end of prime, a guy w no evidence of juicing in past.

Meh like Piscotty second half of rookie season? Maybe league adjusted to him?

Oh come on bro. Piscotty hadn’t proven all that much..Fowler has a damn track record that what 7-8 years worth of evidence? That like sayin a pitcher who has always outperformed his metrics is finally having luck catch up when he has a bad year in his 30s!!! I hope you joking. Guy either aging a lot worse than normal folk, banged up, doesn’t care cause he bitter bout not playing center and just here to cash his check. Any of those far more likely than “leavue caught up to him” in his age 32 season! Insulting to a good career to compare him to piscotty who had what maybe a good half or 1 full season at most?

Back