Yankees vs Red Sox Preview Article (Wednesday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
T-Minus Three, Two, One, Bronx Bombers Set to Explode Against Red Sox

The Yankees host the rival Red Sox on Wednesday at 7 ET on ESPN. The Yanks are looking to avenge their four-game sweep in Boston.

Boston at New York Yankees

MLB Pick: Yankees ML

3.42) seems to be in good form, but has benefited from pitching at home. He’ll have to pitch in Yankee Stadium, which has been a nightmare for him. He allowed eight runs in 3.1 innings there in July. Throughout his career, Yankee Stadium has been one of his least favorite venues. His career ERA is 4.75 there.

Price relies primarily on a sinker-cutter-change combo. The three pitches comprise 89 percent of his arsenal. When he faced the Yankees in July, they slugged over 1.300 against four of his five pitches. In some senses, he seemed to be having an off day. The spin rate and movement of his pitches were somewhat lower. But he also located his pitches unusually well, doing a much better job than usual of avoiding the middle of the plate. Price’s career ERA at Yankee Stadium shows that he didn’t simply have an off day. In his last two starts at Yankee Stadium prior to the last one-- in 2017 and 2016, respectively -- he conceded six runs. He suffers more in New York than when he pitches against the Yanks in Boston. Price is repeatedly nervous in New York, pitching scared in that he sacrifices some qualitative aspects of his stuff to make sure that he avoids the middle of the plate.

Although the Yanks are an unprofitable team overall, they are yielding positive units against southpaws. Several guys have Price’s number. Watch for Didi Gregorius, who is batting .406 and slugging .594 against Price. Giancarlo Stanton is batting .375 and slugging .562 against him. Overall, active Yankee batters are hitting .307 and slugging .530 in their career against Price.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New York’s Luis Severino (17-8, 3.46 ERA) has rediscovered his solid form. He had endured a rough patch after the All-Star Break, during which he allowed many runs and homers. But he’s yielded two runs or fewer in three of his last five starts and an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) under 2.05 in his last three starts. He’s dominated Boston at home, conceding two runs in 12.2 innings. Despite Severino’s earlier struggles, he’s yielding +6 units in home games. The Yanks are 12-2 when he starts at Yankee Stadium. The Yanks are 14-1, yielding +13 units, when he faces off with a left-handed pitcher.

Severino relies on a fastball-slider combo. Both pitches make up 86 percent of his arsenal. He is able to lean on each of them in all scenarios. He also mixes in a change-up. His fastball averages 98 mph and his slider 88 mph. He combines good velocity with good command, forcing batters to try and swing at his heater. His fastball is also difficult to hit because of its high spin rate, which creates the appearance of rising action, thereby deceptively inducing the batter to swing underneath it. Severino combines precise placement with his slider, concentrating its location with 35 percent frequency in the two lowest right spots of the zone.

Andrew Benintendi hits Severino extremely well. But one player doesn’t make a lineup. The rest of Boston’s hitters bat .200 against him with only two homers in 190 career at-bats. Xander Bogaerts is 2-for-21 and Rafael Devers is 0-for-12 lifetime against Severino.

The Yanks boast the second-best bullpen in terms of FIP and will secure the lead that Severino procures.

I hate both these teams w a passion. I’m a Toronto fan, and I always lose when I bet their games. Price sucks vs NYY but Severino in the 2h of the year has been dreadful. Lol. I want no part of this. GL.

Vircav....you can't possibly think that the game in July wasn't an off day do you? I watched that game, Price kept throwing meatball after meatball right down the middle and the Yanks stomped him, so his location was terrible. And he is a completely different pitcher today than he was then. While I agree enough with you that the Yanks have the edge here I would never lay this kind of juice in this situations with two pitchers that have the recent form that these two have. The value has to be with Boston. No?

My point was rather that he seems to have a lot of off days in Yankee Stadium. Too many to call one bad outing in particular just an off day. Thats why I concocted the theory of his nervousness, didn‘t think of another plausible explanation.

Back