Yankees vs Red Sox Preview Article (series finale)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
A Two-Pronged Betting Approach to Series Finale Between Yanks and Red Sox

The Yanks will try to win a ninth in a row by sweeping the rival Red Sox tonight at 7:05 ET. The Red Sox are desperate underdogs. Can they avoid embarrassment?

Boston Red Sox (25-11) at New York Yankees (26-10)

MLB Pick: New York 1H RL

Expect a successful start for the Yanks tonight because of their advantage in starting pitching.

Boston’s Eduardo Rodriguez (3-0, 5.29 ERA) is in a tough spot in which to turn his performance around. Because his start was moved up one day, he is pitching on four days’ rest, in which scenario his career ERA is 5.33 compared to a 3.76 ERA with five days’ rest. He has made his last two starts with four days’ rest and yielded 10 runs in 10 innings.

Rodriguez is struggling even with extra rest. In three of his last four starts, he has allowed an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) over 4.50. His main issue is command. For example, he has walked five batters in his past 10 innings.

In his last three starts, Rodriguez is allowing above his career average in hard contact and inducing below the same in soft contact. Opponents are more comfortable at the plate this year because he is ineffectively varying the location of his pitches. In his last strong month, September of last season, there were two spots in the strike zone which he hit over six percent of the time. This season, there are four such spots. He is compensating for his struggle to throw strikes by hitting the same spots in the zone more frequently and this makes him more predictable and easier to hit.

The southpaw matches up poorly against the Yanks as a fly ball pitcher. Their OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) is absolutely strongest against fly ball pitchers, .838. Rodriguez may be the top starting pitcher in money units earned, but not because of his pitching performance. Dating to 2016, Rodriguez has allowed an FIP over 5.00 in two of his last three starts in Yankee stadium. He struggled against lefties last year and dropped his vertical release points as a result. This year, righties are producing a .109 higher BA against him than lefties. Because of this split reversal, the Yanks’ individual batting stats don’t mean much against Rodriguez. Overall, current Yankee batters are hitting .304 against him in 69 career at-bats. But watch out for right-handed hitters. Aaron Judge, for example, is hitting over .330 at home and is 4-for-8 so far in the series.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New look AL East. <a href="https://t.co/9ZtNzD7xV3">pic.twitter.com/9ZtNzD7xV3</a></p>&mdash; New York Yankees (@Yankees) <a href=" ">10. Mai 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CC Sabathia (2-0, 1.39 ERA) counters for New York. Since accounting for his old age, Sabathia has reinvented himself as the master of soft contact. In his last three starts, he has induced a rate of soft contact above his career above and a rate of hard contact below his career average. Sabathia killed his fastball usage and replaced it with a cutter, which, next to his slider, is one of his primary pitches. He is commanding these pitches well, allowing only 1.39 walks per nine innings, and is keeping batters off-balance. Contrary to Rodriguez, he doesn’t hit any one spot in the strike zone more than six percent of the time.

Last season, the southpaw allowed three runs in 26 innings pitched against the Red Sox. In 150 career at-bats, Boston batters are hitting .213 against him. We can expect Sabathia's success to continue. The Red Sox are struggling hard against southpaws. Their OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) is under .700 against southpaws, compared to over .800 against right-handed pitchers. Sabathia throws most of his stuff under 90 mph. Against such slow pitches from southpaws, the Red Sox are 20th in slugging. Against Sabathia’s two favorite pitches, the slider and cutter, from southpaws, Boston is 25th in slugging.

The Yanks’ pitching edge will secure a first-half victory. However, Sabathia averages less than six innings per start. The bullpens have been wacky, allowing multiple lead changes in this series. Boston will be desperate to avoid a sweep and make for a juicy live bet once Sabathia begins to tire.

Last edited:
Yep covering the same two teams. Was going to do Zona/Nats (god yet another Tanner Roark start!) but starters listed as undetermined although I assume Roark and Greinke was recently announced.

I don't emphasize those ERA splits as much as he does but when the disparity is large enough to catch my eye I try to notice. (Eduardo 4 days vs 5 days and Red Sox vs LHP)

This season on 4 6.19 ERA I believe. i trust him not at all. Lyles who is starting on 6 is a Jeff model. pretty much a disaster Tillman may have gone over to the dark side but most of his career very good on 6

Tuck for the longest time I thought your avatar was a dark-skinned dog. Now I see that it is an alien on a shirt. Wild. Pretty much changes my perception of you.

i'm trying to figure out why BOS has struggled so much vs LHP and my first guess is randomness. Betts should mash everyone, Benintendi is a lefty and young so that makes a little sense then Hanley and JD mash before Moreland, who may not play vs LHP. Bradley has been awful, but is losing playing time and probably won't play tomorrow since he's bad and a L, but Nunez will be on the correct side and it should be Vazquez behind the plate. I guess the effect on Benintendi and potentially losing Moreland's hot bat (though it hasn't been hot all year i don't think, more so recently) are negatives, but i also forgot to mention Devers who is L as well. So it affects OF, 3B, 1B and so that may be more significant, but also missing Bogaerts for a while may have forced people to play who wouldn't have in his place and can explain worse numbers vs LHP because Holt (L) would have been in there vs RHP while he was missing.

In terms of bullpen, Chapman has worked the last two and Girardi usually tried to stay away from b3b, but I'm not sure about Boone. I'm not sure he's a great manager, but not using Robertson tonight gives him another capable closer, even if Betances is not, if he chooses to rest Chapman. Green won't be available after 33 tonight, but he and Chapman look like the only two. That means a pretty heavy army to cover the 3 or so innings CC doesn't eat up. My guess would be:
CC 5-6
Shreve/Holder 6th-7th
Betances 8th
Robertson 9th

This season on 4 6.19 ERA I believe. i trust him not at all. Lyles who is starting on 6 is a Jeff model. pretty much a disaster Tillman may have gone over to the dark side but most of his career very good on 6

tillman shouldn't be in MLB, cau tion on that

ERod has struggled this year and i worry about him facing so many R power bats in such a small park that +122 is not enough for me to play him considering CC's weak contact and a valuable fill-in to close like Robertson in the event that Boone doesn't use Chapman b3b (and in a division race against the ultimate rival he may be in play)

CC Sabathia, who is 2-0 with a 0.39 ERA in four starts since coming off the disabled list, will be tasked with helping the Yankees go for the sweep and makes his second attempt at becoming the 58th pitcher to get 240 wins.
Sabathia missed a chance Friday when he pitched six scoreless innings and the Yankees blew a five-run lead before posting a 7-6 victory over the Cleveland Indians.
Sabathia is unbeaten in his last 14 regular-season starts since Aug. 19. During his second-longest unbeaten streak, he is 7-0 with a 2.29 ERA.
The left-hander is 17-13 with a 4.12 ERA in 39 career starts against the Red Sox and 15-9 with a 4.17 ERA in 32 starts against the Red Sox since becoming a Yankee in 2009.
Boston's Eduardo Rodriguez looks to remain unbeaten when he makes his seventh start of the season Thursday. Rodriguez was moved up a day Tuesday when the Red Sox scratched David Price.
Rodriguez is 3-0 with a 5.29 ERA as the Red Sox have scored at least six runs in five of his six starts.
The last instance was Saturday, when he allowed five runs and four hits in six innings in a 6-5 win at Texas. During his most recent outing, Rodriguez struck out 10 while throwing 107 pitches.
Rodriguez is 4-2 with a 2.96 ERA in nine career starts against the Yankees, whom he last faced Aug. 31. In his last outing against New York, he allowed five runs and 10 hits in five innings of a 6-2 loss at Yankee Stadium.

Edit: The Yankees‘ OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) is absolutely strongest against fly ball pitchers, .838.

I tend to agree with GW....the sox can hit and I believe they will hit lefties as the season wears on....they will get Pedroia back in a few weeks (i'm guessing like beginning of june or late may) and that will firm the bottom of the lineup which is weak currently and vazquez, JBJ, and benintendi will hit eventually....yanks are too hot to play sox and yanks may be worth a play but i like over better

Plenty of teams like Dodgers last year start off slow against a certain pitching hand then figure it out. Also looking at last year Red Sox look like great candidate to turn things around still only May though!

Plenty of teams like Dodgers last year start off slow against a certain pitching hand then figure it out. Also looking at last year Red Sox look like great candidate to turn things around still only May though!

You would think cardinals would hit lefties as well but has been a terrible start for the offense overall. They stacked w right handed hitters tho so wouldn't expect them to remain like 20th in ops vs lefties, our squad is all messed up tho! Freaking miracle they above .500, mostly thanks to 7 games vs hapless reds! Lol.

Good stuff by everyone in this thread btw!!

I saw multiple Pinnacle steams for Boston last night while % of wagers was piling for Yanks. But FG result has nothing to do with 1H

Last edited:
I saw multiple Pinnacle steams for Boston last night while % of wagers was piling for Yanks. But FG result has nothing to do with 1H

I think you often see that when team going for the sweep as some will always bet with the mindset good team will avoid being swept no matter how insignificant it really is, actually quite the opposite as last few years favs looking to complete sweep have been doing so at a high rate of success.

What I should have mentioned against Porcello was having his start moved up a day, that surely killed his rhythm a lot of starters hate stuff like that and having starts postponed due to rain

Red Sox just got hammered again on Pinnacle. I guess the Pinny sharps love to back the team trying to not get swept like Dan said

The last 10 times Eduardo has started the over is 7-3. The ump in this game on a 4.1 I believe sample has not been A Sabathia fav with a 8.31 result. Both teams have big bats. By the way I do expect Yanks to win this

happy to see the played Moreland despite LvL because even an 0/3 vs Sabathia you still get his defense at 1B

What reasoning was I going to give to back struggling southpaw. Maybe I should force reasoning to pick like with that LeBlanc over Manaea play when I was drunk and just went with the sharp action I was noticing

Even for that LeBlanc play I found some nice team trends to support it. I dont wanna bet against my own article but sometimes its reasoning vs a line play (huge rlm) and only one of those gets a good article done lol

Been letting reason guide my plays lately and it‘s not been good. I don‘t get what solid reasoning there was for Eduardo except avoid sweep which like Dan said isn‘t even justifiable as underdog

Thats why I like posting here at least you all knew what was sharp and what conversely my reasoning was

Thats why I said live bet Boston in article I had to account for it somehow the rlm was sticking out like a sore thumb and pinnacle too

But sometimes sharps are dumb like betting Jags win total over for years until last year it hit or betting against Zags’ inflated spreads last year and I thought maybe they just didn‘t believe Sox could get swept

Back