Yankees vs A’s thoughts

BringInTheLefty

Pretty much a regular
Severino will start the game for the Yankees~~ A’s will counter with Liam Hendriks to begin the game and employ the opener strategy similar to what the Rays used ~~
Severino went 19-8 with a 3.39 ERA for the entire season ~~his second half was different than his first half. Before the All-Star break, Severino was 14-2 with a 2.31 ERA in 20 starts, and after the break he was 5-6 with a 5.57 ERA in his last 12 starts ~~
Severino will be starting the wild-card game for the 2nd straight season ~~ last year against the Minnesota Twins, he recorded just one out and allowed three runs, forcing the Yankees to get 26 outs from their bullpen in an 8-4 win.
he is 1-1 with a 5.63 ERA in four postseason starts and seemed to think last year's rough time against the Twins was due to being too excited~~Hendriks will likely get the first inning and possibly the second before other pitchers step in ~~the A's used the opener technique 9 times in September and went 4-5 with a 1.86 ERA in those games.
Hendriks did it eight times and was 0-1 with a 2.08 ERA in that role~~ 1 of those times was against the Yankees on Sept. 4 in Oakland's 5-1 loss when he threw 11 pitches in the opening inning, giving up no runs and no hits
This will be the first time an "opener" has been used in a playoff game, and Hendriks is doing it after being DFA’d on June 25. Hendriks posted a 7.36 ERA in 13 appearances before getting designated, but he pitched well in Triple-A Nashville and notched a 1.38 ERA in 12 appearances after returning to the bigs~~when Hendriks is finished the A's will have 10 other pitchers, including veteran starters Edwin Jackson and Mike Fiers along with relievers Fernando Rodney, Jeurys Familia, Shawn Kelley and closer Blake Treinen, who was 9-2 with 38 saves and an 0.78 ERA ~~ the teams split their 6 regular-season meetings with the Yankees taking two of three May 11-13 & A’s taking two of three Sept. 3-5

A’s haven’t had much luck in the Bronx, losing 4 of their last 5 games

Call me crazy but I like the under. I feel like pitchers dominate the postseason? Love the idea of a bullpen start and I think Severino gets it together tonight. 67% on the over too.

In Severino’s 4 September starts:
5 IP, 2 R, 3 BB, 7 K (2 ER first 5)
7 IP, 1 R, 1 B, 6 K (1 ER first 5)
5.2 IP, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K (0 ER first 5)
vs Oak: 2.2 IP, 6 R, 1 BB, 3 K (5 ER first 5)

Lean over. Severino has been hit hard by Oakland and both Oakland and Yanks have had a lot of overs
Considering Oakland as a side
it should be noted that Wolf is a major over umpire and Severino 6 innings 4.50 ERA with him

SEVERINO is 1-1 when starting against OAKLAND with an ERA of 5.22 and a WHIP of 1.403.
His team's record is 1-3 (-3.2 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 1-3. (-2.3 units)

I do not see Lester and Freeland here. Oakland as they have lost a lot of quality pitchers have filled in with very good hitting

Its actually very interesting that the first 2 games both start with major over umps that are not fond of home teams and in both of the games the home pitcher has had a problem with the umpire

No but in general I have always leaned to the under in playoff games in most sports. Oakland though seems an exception due to the very high frequency of overs in their games and both these teams have very good bats.

Lean over. Severino has been hit hard by Oakland and both Oakland and Yanks have had a lot of overs
Considering Oakland as a side
it should be noted that Wolf is a major over umpire and Severino 6 innings 4.50 ERA with him

What did you end up playing tuck?

Back