Yankees acquire Pudge Rodriguez

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Yankees acquire Pudge
With Jorge Posada out, the Yankees have been hunting for catching help. They got it Wednesday afternoon when they acquired Ivan Rodriguez from the Detroit Tigers, according to ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney.

:popcorn:

Who's next? Manny?

Manny Moments

* The Original Incident April 4, 1994 - In the first game of his rookie season, Manny hit a two-run ground-rule double in the 8th inning to tie the game. At first he thought he hit a home run, and continued to round the bases, until the third base umpire stopped him. The announcers commented on how he was a tremendous young hitter, but seemed to have a short attention span: Manny was then almost immediately picked off at second base by the catcher. Later, after drawing a walk in the 10th inning, he was replaced with a pinch runner.[15]

* December 10, 2001 - Ramirez, in his first season with Boston, claimed he was uncomfortable, prompting the new ownership group to create a separate interview room, to ease Manny's transition with the Red Sox.[16]

* May 18, 2002 - Ramirez lost his diamond earring sliding into third base during a rehab start with the Pawtucket Red Sox. After the game, 13 PawSox players and the Syracuse grounds crew combed the third base area and found the stud, but not the diamond that was worth a reported $15,000.[17]

* September 7, 2002 - Ramirez requested the song Good Times (I Get High) by Styles P for his plate appearances. The unedited song's lyrics are played over the Fenway Park public address system.[18][19]

* August 23, 2003 - In a home game against the Seattle Mariners which was nationally televised on FOX, Ramirez was shown on TV in the outfield with a water bottle in his back pocket. Fox announcers Joe Buck and Tim McCarver joked about it.

* August 29, 2003 - Manny expressed in an ESPN interview that he would like to play for the New York Yankees.[20]

* August 30, 2003 - Manny missed several games with pharyngitis amid media speculation that he was well enough to play. When the New York Yankees came to town to play, Manny was still too sick to play, but was seen at the downstairs bar of his hotel with former Yankees player and close friend Enrique Wilson.[21]

* September 1, 2003 - Manny refused to pinch hit in a game against Philadelphia, angering manager Grady Little, who benched him the next game.[22]

* July 21, 2004 - From his spot in left-center field, Manny inexplicably made a diving play to cut off a relay throw from center fielder Johnny Damon, allowing David Newhan of the Orioles to score on an inside-the-park home run. This event is widely considered by many fans of Red Sox Nation to be the most popular Manny moment.[23]

* July 31, 2005 - After heavy speculation that he would force a trade, Manny entered the game versus the Minnesota Twins as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 8th inning, to a standing ovation 54 minutes after the 4:00 trading deadline had passed (he had been booed his two previous games). Ramirez proceeded to chop an RBI single up the middle off Juan Rincón that would prove to be the game-winning hit. After the game, Ramirez was quoted as saying, "Forget about the trade, man. This is the place I want to be, man. It's great, man. They love me here, man. This is the place to be. 'Manny being Manny,' he's great, man... we've been through a lot, this is the place for me, I'm just happy to be here... I'm back!"[24][25]

* August 24, 2005 - Ramirez, up with one out and the bases loaded, hit a ground ball, but doesn't run down the first base line, resulting in an inning-ending double play. The Kansas City Royals rally to tie the game, and eventually win in extra innings.[26]

* March 20, 2007 - Ramirez appeared in an Ebay listing selling a BBQ grill. [27] The listing was later cancelled by Ebay.[28] He later posted a custom Chrysler 300M on EBay.[29]

* October 17, 2007 - With the Red Sox trailing Cleveland 3-1 in the ALCS, Ramirez told reporters that if the Red Sox were eliminated, it wouldn't be "the end of the world." Though Ramirez faced criticism in the media for his statement, his team would go on to win their next 7 games to win the ALCS and World Series.[30]

* October 18, 2007 - In game five of the ALCS at Jacobs Field, Ramirez hit a fly ball to deep center field that bounced off the top of the outfield wall and back into play. Ramirez, assuming he had hit a home run, casually strolled to first base and was forced to settle for a single instead of an easy double after it was ruled that the ball had never left the field.[31]

* October 27, 2007 - In game three of the World Series, Ramirez was thrown out during a controversial play at home plate. Manny often flips his helmet off while he is running the bases, to help pick up speed. In this instance, replays show that Manny's helmet bounced off of his heel, causing him to stutter-step as he rounded third base.[32]

* May 14, 2008 - At Baltimore, Manny caught a Kevin Millar fly ball to deep-left, ran up the wall, and high-fived a Red Sox fan in the stands. Manny then turned around, fired the ball back to the infield, and doubled-up Aubrey Huff off of 1st base. [33]

* July 9, 2008 - During the 6th inning of a home game against the Twins, Manny climbed into the Green Monster and was seen talking on a cell phone during a pitching change.[34]

* July 15, 2008 - Manny drew the wrath of Red Sox owner John Henry for comments made to the Boston Herald, where he hinted that team management had not been up front with him in regards to upcoming contract negotiations. Henry responded angrily the following day, saying Manny was a critical part of the Sox's 2004 and 2007 world championships and that the team always kept Manny in the loop. [35]

* July 18, 2008 - In the bottom of the 6th inning, in a game against the LA Angels, Manny tried to chase down a fly ball in front of him in left field hit by Maicer Izturis. He went into a slide to catch the ball, but missed it so it dropped and rolled behind him. He scampered on all fours to get the ball, and ended up rolling on top of the ball when he reached it making centerfielder Jacoby Ellsbury unable to pick up the ball. Manny had to lift up his rear to get the ball off the ground. When he finally picked up the ball and threw it into the infield with a big smile on his face Izturis was on third base instead of the likely single had Manny just fielded the ball instead of trying to catch it on the fly. Theo Epstein and Terry Francona were both visually not happy with the play they just witnessed by Manny. [36]

* July 27, 2008 - Before his game against the New York Yankees, Manny has stated that he would play in Iraq if he needs to play there[37].

It must be nice to just be able to afford any player at any time. They need to put the salary cap in place soon.

It must be nice to just be able to afford any player at any time. They need to put the salary cap in place soon.

totally agree.. and they need a minimum cap the marlins owners is banking off luxury tax money he gets when he only pays out 20 mil baseball is a joke

marlins collected 31 mill and only have a 20 mil payroll

kinda glad to get rid of untimely hitting pudge.... hopefully farnesworth can pitch like he used to back i ndetroit :\

I predict someone signs Huff from Baltimore. Look at his numbers since June 1. Best hitter in majors over that span. And lifetime .456 avg vs Rivera. Boston, ChiSox should be fighting over this guy.

kinda glad to get rid of untimely hitting pudge.... hopefully farnesworth can pitch like he used to back i ndetroit :\

are you serious?

do you really think double play inge is going to be any better as an every day starter?

I'm 85% expecting the Tigers to make another trade before the deadline. Otherwise the towel has been thrown in.

wtf is the point of this trade though. I'm totally at a loss as to what the fuck dombrowski is doing at this point.

marlins collected 31 mill and only have a 20 mil payroll

I understand the frustration from small-market team fans like Florida and Oakland, but the luxury of money does not mean everything in MLB. Florida is competitve, Billy Beane has Oakland fighting every year, just like the Yankees have been fighting every year.

A successful team goes beyond a big payroll, otherwise we would see the Yankees win the World Series every year. The league that has Chelsea, Manchester United, Barcelona, and Real Madrid as teams has the same argument. If I remember correctly, the argument was that Chelsea and Real Madrid simply buy their players (the European equivalent of the Yankees), but Real Madrid has not experienced much success lately (Chelsea lost in the championship game the past two years). Someone that is familiar with soccer can tell the story better, but I don't get to see much soccer living in the Southern USA, so I tell this story from memory of an article I read in a business magazine a few months ago.

I understand the frustration from small-market team fans like Florida and Oakland, but the luxury of money does not mean everything in MLB. Florida is competitve, Billy Beane has Oakland fighting every year, just like the Yankees have been fighting every year.

A successful team goes beyond a big payroll, otherwise we would see the Yankees win the World Series every year. The league that has Chelsea, Manchester United, Barcelona, and Real Madrid as teams has the same argument. If I remember correctly, the argument was that Chelsea and Real Madrid simply buy their players (the European equivalent of the Yankees), but Real Madrid has not experienced much success lately (Chelsea lost in the championship game the past two years). Someone that is familiar with soccer can tell the story better, but I don't get to see much soccer living in the Southern USA, so I tell this story from memory of an article I read in a business magazine a few months ago.

obviously they are successful when we make good daft day selections and great trades.. the point is the owner turns a profit without one fan in the stands.. he pockets that extra 11 million without doing anything thats the bullshit.. you should spend at least all the tax money collected..

oak and fla are lucky to have such advanced scouting and eyes for talent and not to mention a little bit of luck with no major injuries to these talents

the owner is being smart and may do what he wishes but mlb should not allow this to happen.. dont ask for a new stadium when your free rolling this luxury tax money

are you serious?

do you really think double play inge is going to be any better as an every day starter?

I'm 85% expecting the Tigers to make another trade before the deadline. Otherwise the towel has been thrown in.

Hes not going to do better but hes not going to do much worse. Good deal, I like it. We get a very important solid reliever in return for a guy who played every other day at a fairly low level.
Zumaya a starter now?? maybe
Hopefully we can trade Ordonez before the deadline

Hes not going to do better but hes not going to do much worse. Good deal, I like it. We get a very important solid reliever in return for a guy who played every other day at a fairly low level.
Zumaya a starter now?? maybe
Hopefully we can trade Ordonez before the deadline

come on orange are you drunk?

are you watching the game? rod and mario are reporting that the locker room is devastated and players are actually crying. This team is in funeral mode now. look at their play right now, 2 errors on slop.

stupid trade. plain and simple. your going to trade an everyday player for a middle reliever who'll face 1 or 2 batters every other day?

and trade Magglio? no, no, no. they do that and the city will collectively puke. Unless its for Manny.

Dombrowski should have tried to trade Renteria & Thames before he fucked the pooch on this shit.

Last edited:
Back