WSOX Minny LINE OUT

Psychologically, I have to think the edge goes to the White Sox. Minny was at home watching this game and must have been feeling good 6 innings into the game. Then Ramirez goes big fly and White Sox don't look back. Minny has to board a plane and play in a venue their lineup doesn't fair well in. White Sox, on the otherhand, are built for The Cell.

Danks has been terrible vs Piranhas tho. So that's not good.

Game will be a blackout (fans wearing black) and The Cell will be handing out over 40,000 black towels.

Hopefully, we make it to October. Even tho we match up awful against Tampa.

interesting... we and our forum got a lotta love for the sox, while the other forum, the blue forum c0**rs.com (not sure if i can post other site names) are loving the twinies big time... interesting to see what happens

hmm.... sox get this done

As a Twins fan, no doubt the Soxs get this done.

Blackburn is 2-2 against the Soxs this year, both losses came at Chicago.

Last week when Chicago was here, he got out of a few jams, where if Chicago could have put a few hits together they could have shelled him here. Ozzie was quoted in the media saying he didnt pitch well, and we let him off the hook. (not sure if this will give blackburn motivation or not)

Twins haven't traveled well all year, and there bullpen/starting pitching/hitting has been terrible compared to at home.

Twins left late last night...around 12am.

BC, with all due respect I've checked Blankets yesterday and there were numerous Chi Sox backers, same as there are today. I wouldn't say the Blankets are "all over Minny", especially with several Minneapolis based posters have expressed their leans towards Chicago.

Personally I can't put my finger on it, Blackburn's road & September woes (+ the Sox have hit him), the horrid Twins' middle relief (as opposed to their solid closers, namely Nathan), but on the other hand a team you can't trust, a ~ .400 team in the past 40 games if I'm not mistaking.

I just know if I take the over we'll be seeing a 1:1 game into the 6th, so I can't take the over.

Isn't going to matter. Whoever wins tonight will get destroyed by TB. TB is getting all the right bounces and clicking on all cylinders. I didn't believe in this team before the All Star break and thought they would fade down the stretch if there pitching didn't hold up. Well it held up and now they are in the playoffs. Very bad matchup for either the Twins or CWS. TB is my pick to win it all and it's not a homer pick. This same situation reminds me of the Cards of a few years back. The only difference is that TB has been playing good ball all year. They are very undervalued IMO. As for tonight hard not to take the home side.

TB to win it all?

Hey I love what the Rays have done but I don't think they go all the way.

Angels or Cubs.

WSox have alot of edges here.

After winning the 1st two @ LAA the Twinkies went 7-15 away . Also were 14-22 away after the break. Also dropping 7 of 11 series openers .

2nd H 7-9 away vs LHSP but also 4-8 L12
1st H 4-10 away vs LHSP

So 11-19 on the road vs LHP

Twins just swept the WSox at home....

The stat no one EVER seems to mention the HOME TEAM is 15-3 in 2008 in the series .

WSox are 41-18 L59 at home and 39-19 at home L58 vs RHSP

Twins are 0-7 in Blackburns L7 away vs yeams with winning records

Twins are 14-21 away with 9 or 9.5 totals while WSox are 26-13 at home

Twins bullpen ? Overall ERA of 3.93 but 5.36 on the road so thats quite a HUGE difference ..were talking sub 3 at home

Neither SP is that good vs the opponent but Wsox just faced Blackburn and this will be I believe his 6th start vs them.

Blackburn on the road has led the Twins to a 5-13 record and Danks is 8-9 at home.

Only away wins for Blackburn were SEA , KC , CLE twice a team he OWNED in 2008 (4runs in 27.2 innings) and COL......who was 15-27 at the time...

Not crazy about Danks at all but when he is right he always delivers six solid innings ....

Odd trend ? McClelland should be the ump....when he does a game with the fav lined bewteen -141 and -160 past 5 years 21-6 record but only 3-2 this yr , 6-1 both previous season and 3-1 both previous before that....

Thing WSox and Over. Only problem with the total is WS had 6 hit syesterday !! They IMO did just sneak by the Tigers as they had 1 big hit after trailing a tight game for nearly 6 innings....coupled with Twinkies possible struggling vs a LHP away....:cheers:

SN, great post as per usual. One thing however, which you don't seem to mention.

The White Sox are missing Quentin, the guy who would be a serious MVP candidate had he remained healthy, and they are not the same team without him.

Sure, several Twins' hitters have been in a slump but what about slumps of Dye, Thome and Griffey Jr?

I am still weighing my options here but if you think Blackburn gets hit, I think Danks will too, thinking no team will fall in a hole early.

My problem with backing CWS here is that I can either take the RL or nothing, since I don't lay that much chalk on an ML, but a rubber game, laying 1.5 on the home team, not my cup of tea, especially since the Sox needed one huge hit last night to bring them to this game, had it not been for that I could see them struggling to put the Tigers away.

Anyways, just thoughts for now :shake:

WSox have alot of edges here.

Another edge they have is that this fucking game is even being played.

I hate this rule with a passion. If both these teams were headed to postseason, this game would not transpire, but because Boston locked up the wild card this game goes on. Minnesota beat Chicago 10-8 in their 18 heads up meetings this season. That means nothing thanks to this piss-poor rule by MLB. Homefield advantage was decided by a fucking coin flip, which further discredits Minnesota's heads up edge.

Chicago wins but I will be rooting against them and wish them all the worst going forward. Twins EARNED the AL Central.

TB to win it all?

Hey I love what the Rays have done but I don't think they go all the way.

Angels or Cubs.

That is what I thought at the beginning of the year. I followed this team a lot this year. Throw out all the stats this time of year. They have one of best pitching staffs in the playoffs and a great defense. The only problem is no playoff experience. They should beat either CWS or MINN and then the real test will be against BOS or LAA who I am confident they can beat. Nobody expected them to make it to the playoffs. They have nothing to lose. I agree the Angels or Cubs are going to be tough to get by but I can see them making a serious run. We'll see.

We part ways after the "BOST or LAA" part.

Anyways, if the Halos won't win it, I'd like it to be the Rays :shake:

I hate this rule with a passion. If both these teams were headed to postseason, this game would not transpire, but because Boston locked up the wild card this game goes on. Minnesota beat Chicago 10-8 in their 18 heads up meetings this season. That means nothing thanks to this piss-poor rule by MLB. Homefield advantage was decided by a fucking coin flip, which further discredits Minnesota's heads up edge.

Chicago wins but I will be rooting against them and wish them all the worst going forward. Twins EARNED the AL Central.

I see where you're coming from. I think there should be a game played for the postseason but it's ridiculous that the Twins have to play the game a the Cell when they won the season series.

Danks is 2-1, 3.71 in his last three starts, 1-1.
Danks has an era of
8.38 in four starts against Twins in 2008.

Blackburn is 0-2, 9.29 era in his last five road starts,
1-2, 6.55 in his four starts against the Pale Hose this season.

Blackburn 3 Games in Chicago in 2008
<table class="data" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr><td class="datahl2b">Pitchers</td> <td class="datahl2b">IP</td> <td class="datahl2b">H</td> <td class="datahl2b">R</td> <td class="datahl2b">ER</td> <td class="datahl2b">BB</td> <td class="datahl2b">SO</td> <td class="datahl2b">HR</td> <td class="datahl2b">ERA</td> </tr> <tr class="datarow"> <td align="left"> Nick Blackburn </td> <td> 5.0</td> <td> 7</td> <td> 2</td> <td> 2</td> <td> 2</td> <td> 5</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 2.25</td></tr></tbody> </table> <table class="data" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr class="datarow"><td align="left">Nick Blackburn </td> <td> 6.0</td> <td> 6</td> <td> 4</td> <td> 3</td> <td> 3</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 3.65</td></tr></tbody> </table> <table class="data" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="datarow"><td align="left">Nick Blackburn </td> <td> 4.0</td> <td> 8</td> <td> 7</td> <td> 7</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 0</td> <td> 1</td> <td> 3.94</td></tr></tbody></table>

This game is migraine-inducing:

Blackburn has been notoriously sketchy on the road and has had 2 bad performance at the Cell. But, the White Sox could barely hit a mid-eighties fastball last night and Carlos Quentin was the main contributor to Blackburn's demise at the Cell.

Twins are bad on the road, but the White Sox haven't been a difficult team to beat as of late. Take away the gongshow of mistakes exhibited by the Tigers last night, and we wouldn't even be discussing this game. Don't forget that the White Sox will be trotting out Denks tonight who the Twins have crushed in the past.

Certainly, the White Sox have momentum on their side, that grand slam last night was goose bump inducing. But, can you underestimate the gift of rest at this time of the year? The Twins are a solid team and this game is going to depend on the approach shown by the White Sox offense tonight. If they show us more of the same, the Twins will steal this one right from under the Sox noses.

SN, great post as per usual. One thing however, which you don't seem to mention.

The White Sox are missing Quentin, the guy who would be a serious MVP candidate had he remained healthy, and they are not the same team without him.

Sure, several Twins' hitters have been in a slump but what about slumps of Dye, Thome and Griffey Jr?

I am still weighing my options here but if you think Blackburn gets hit, I think Danks will too, thinking no team will fall in a hole early.

My problem with backing CWS here is that I can either take the RL or nothing, since I don't lay that much chalk on an ML, but a rubber game, laying 1.5 on the home team, not my cup of tea, especially since the Sox needed one huge hit last night to bring them to this game, had it not been for that I could see them struggling to put the Tigers away.

Anyways, just thoughts for now :shake:

Thanks bro. Very good point about Quentin but I looked at everything they did in Sept and before the the 5 game losing streak to end the year they were at 500 w/o him as he last played 9/1. They also played a fairly tough Sept schedule as well . Which also featured alot of good opposing SP .

so 11-14 w/o Quentin
3 runs or less 11x
5+ runs 11x
4runs 3x

13 home games only 3 runs or less in 3 Joe Saunders , AJ Burnett and Jesse Litsch not exactly embarrasing see those names to have weak offensive games vs them. In the other 10 the breakdown was 4 runs 2x and 5 + runs 8x including the last 5 games ......

They also went 7-6 at home losing by 1 run in a game and 2 runs twice so basically competive in all but 3 home games ...and that is debtable because 2 of the losses would be the CLE ones to finish the season.

Still though youhave a point since there wins the past 2 elimination games came versus Bryan Bullington and Freddy Garcia making his 5th start since returning from a a year layoff and 2 were in the low minors I believe .

Danks is just a mystery especially knowing the M&M boyz own him in his career and McClelland also did his last start at home vs CLE ....

Also Danks is on short rest which I fouled up as he pitched the 26th . It seemed like he needed the extra time in his Sept starts to do well . He pitched 9.7 then 9.14 then 9.21 so that is interesting IMO. One thing people have to remember is that these pitchers at this point ususally are worn down . At this point your talking 8 full months of abusing your body and arm. With the unknown of so many guys reachinhg stages in the season they havent faced before . As in topping certain innings levels but also you never know how mant pitches a guy has thrown in previous years vs the current year .

The main reason why I like WSox here is based on 2 things actually .

Season Series has the HOME TEAM at 15-3 so as BC pointed out HOME FIELD is huge when these 2 meet . The second is Blackburn facing WSox after just seeing them this weekend , for the 6th time in 2008 which already produced ugly stats and Minny being 5-13 away when he starts with the wins as I mentioned vs weak teams and offenses SEA > KC AND COL. He just made the Indians his little Pocohanta's...sorry terrible attempt at being funny ....and spelling

:shake:I myself am not sold on laying -150 as Chciago has done nothing to impress winning the past few days but 15-3 just sticks out so much.....some key WS may be slumping but so is Morneau .

I dont get the coin flip either . It would be understandable in the event of a wild card tie but not divisional . Also not sure I would want to award Minny the divsion based on a 10-8 edge in H2H . If teams tie kinda feel a 1 game playoff is more fair but Twins should get home field because of that H2H .

I am not really well versed in the rules so I dont want to comment w/o knowing what I am talking about ...

There has to be some reason why they go coin flip here Or it is truly stupid....just wondering aloud..:cheers:

This game is migraine-inducing:

Blackburn has been notoriously sketchy on the road and has had 2 bad performance at the Cell. But, the White Sox could barely hit a mid-eighties fastball last night and Carlos Quentin was the main contributor to Blackburn's demise at the Cell.

Twins are bad on the road, but the White Sox haven't been a difficult team to beat as of late. Take away the gongshow of mistakes exhibited by the Tigers last night, and we wouldn't even be discussing this game. Don't forget that the White Sox will be trotting out Denks tonight who the Twins have crushed in the past.

Certainly, the White Sox have momentum on their side, that grand slam last night was goose bump inducing. But, can you underestimate the gift of rest at this time of the year? The Twins are a solid team and this game is going to depend on the approach shown by the White Sox offense tonight. If they show us more of the same, the Twins will steal this one right from under the Sox noses.

One STAT I left out and wanted to mention and who knows what to make of it but since you mentioned REST ......

Twins 15-3 with playing with a day off pulled from statfox so have no idea how its generated but its there.

About the SP Blackburn was only terrible once but he also survived 2 starts vs WS where he went 5 inn and 2 runs but 7 and hits allowed. The last being a 5 inn 8 hit outing at home with no Quentin.

With Danks I dont see Minny owning him either . See 7 career starts since 2007 . I talked about this last year and early this season. he faced Minny twice in early 2007 and was very good vs them but the 3rd time he was shelled . Now was it simply seeing the same guy repeatedly in a short 6 week span or was he injured as his season soon ended after this ? In 2008 he was terrible the 1st meeting but okay to medicore the next 2 with 5inn 2 runs , 6inn and 4ers the other two.....

What I am getting at is with the unbalanced schedule we see and the fact you now have SP seeing there rivals 5 and sometimes 6 times a season every season its bound to happen that a SP kinda gets ripped at least once IMO.

Mauer and Morneau really have hit him hard but so did Cuddyer at 7-12 and he isnt around . Really Morneau has been the big thorn in Danks side with 3 hrs and 2 doubles in 7 hits with 8 rbi while Mauer has a loft avg all 8 hits singles (that comment means Mauer gets his 1 XBH today off Danks watch !) .

:shake:

TB is my pick to win it all and it's not a homer pick.

:36_11_6:

Had it not been for the fact taht they will probably end up facing a whitesox team that is going to be fatigued and just mentally and physically exhausted, i dont think theyd have gotten out of the first round.
This is a young team and they still haev some maturing to do, this is a learning experience more then anything for them IMO

theyre lucky to be going against a CWS rotation in which most of the arms have been pitching on only 3 days rest.... a pen that if danks can only go 5 today will be tired and resulting bringing some of the gas cans in in the TB series... only arm in that pen i really trust is thorntons and hes pitched the last 3 days and will probably see action tonight.

the OD has been strugglging and giving up the longball as of late, and whiel he was the "official" setup man earlier in the season, since that detroit GS the sox have been a lot more hesistant to use him, esp in close games

guys like wasserman and linebrink are gas cans waiting to explode IMO

i really agree with what nut was saying the other day, in that the whitesox have had to put so much into even GETTING into the playofs, that once theyre there its going to be a whole different story

playing 3 different teams in 3 days.... and then having almost no time to prepare for the series with tampa? while tampa has been watching the tapes of both teams and licking their chops, and resting

so anyways, i think CWS wins tonight... and while i agree with you that TB will probably beat them if and when they face eachother..... .. but i think the ALCS against a superior LAA/boston will show that TB is overmatched and is as far as they will go.

mlbf_1410806_th_7.jpg

Had it not been for the fact taht they will probably end up facing a whitesox team that is going to be fatigued and just mentally and physically exhausted, i dont think theyd have gotten out of the first round.
This is a young team and they still haev some maturing to do, this is a learning experience more then anything for them IMO

theyre lucky to be going against a CWS rotation in which most of the arms have been pitching on only 3 days rest.... a pen that if danks can only go 5 today will be tired and resulting bringing some of the gas cans in in the TB series... only arm in that pen i really trust is thorntons and hes pitched the last 3 days and will probably see action tonight.

the OD has been strugglging and giving up the longball as of late, and whiel he was the "official" setup man earlier in the season, since that detroit GS the sox have been a lot more hesistant to use him, esp in close games

guys like wasserman and linebrink are gas cans waiting to explode IMO

i really agree with what nut was saying the other day, in that the whitesox have had to put so much into even GETTING into the playofs, that once theyre there its going to be a whole different story

playing 3 different teams in 3 days.... and then having almost no time to prepare for the series with tampa? while tampa has been watching the tapes of both teams and licking their chops, and resting

so anyways, i think CWS wins tonight... and while i agree with you that TB will probably beat them if and when they face eachother..... .. but i think the ALCS against a superior LAA/boston will show that TB is overmatched and is as far as they will go.

I wouldn't laugh or be shocked. Giants beat the Pats in the SB, Cards won the WS a few years back when they were terrible but they got hot at the right time, etc... I think you get the picture. It's the playoffs and it's a whole new season. Personally I live in the TB area but associated with the Yankees. It is a welcome site for the TB/ST PETE area to finally get a baseball contender. All I am saying is don't count them out and I feel they upset BOS or LAA and go to the WS. We will see. As for tonight, I have changed my stance. Minn to the bank.

BC, with all due respect I've checked Blankets yesterday and there were numerous Chi Sox backers, same as there are today. I wouldn't say the Blankets are "all over Minny", especially with several Minneapolis based posters have expressed their leans towards Chicago.

check the in-game for the ratio of Tigers posts to Sox ones. I never said there were no Sox backers (there was a CTG Sox backer who posted his pick there). The majority had the Tigers, the majority have the Twins.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 summary="" border=0><TBODY id=weather_data><TR><TD class="conditions center">PARTLY CLOUDY,</XML-FRAGMENT></TD><TD class="conditions_2 center">OUT TO CENTER 9-14, Temp</TD><TD class=center>58</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

it's a forum where you need to sort through 1,000 posts before finding a useful piece of information.:hang:

Pretty well summed up.

Food for thought: the total is dropping to 9 at heavy juice, even with the wind blowing out?

And as bad as each pitcher has been against the opposing team, and both coming off bad outings last time they pitchd.... are they welcoming over money here at 9?

just want to play the over, bad. and still leaning that way...

but it looks so easy, so obvious. over up w/ mcclelland???

would have expected 9.5-10

I look at this game, and personally ignore the stats. This is about trying to pick who has the mojo to make the p.s. The team with the mojo has already won the game, the result is a foregone conclusion.

Is it the WS? they lost 5 straight yet at the regular season's death, yet they're still here to play this game. That would seem to betray mojo, yet it's only because they had such a divisional lead previously that they could sustain such a losing streak. They've gotten over their losing streak because 2 teams playin for nothing got done with their seasons. Neither Cleveland nor Detroit totaled anything against good-to-OK pitchers (1 & 2 runs) to try and halt the Sox these last 2 games.

Is it Minny? They swept the Sox to seemingly stamp their mojo on the division title, but then immediately shat that advantage all away. If the mojo was truly theirs they'd have taken 2 at home vs KC and this game wouldn't exist.

I can't pick who has the mojo, so I'm not betting. But I still have an interest in the Sox winning, since it's my belief that while I see Tampa killing either team, it's a far more a brutal task for the Sox to take on given everything (their exhausting their pitching corps to simply make the p.s.).

cant post a new thread.... because the server is still updating and when i clicked submit it told me i didnt have permission... Soo.... posting in here- sorry

CWS -141 2 units)
Over 9 (-120) 1.2 units
CWS -140 1st 5 innings..... 1 unit

also have them small risking .5unit to close out a ML parlay with arsenal/manyoo

I wouldn't laugh or be shocked. Giants beat the Pats in the SB, Cards won the WS a few years back when they were terrible but they got hot at the right time, etc... I think you get the picture. It's the playoffs and it's a whole new season. Personally I live in the TB area but associated with the Yankees. It is a welcome site for the TB/ST PETE area to finally get a baseball contender. All I am saying is don't count them out and I feel they upset BOS or LAA and go to the WS. We will see. As for tonight, I have changed my stance. Minn to the bank.

Its funny at first then look at the futures for the WS ....TB +325 at my book same as LAA and Boston with only Cubs better at +300....

Back