WP - Way too early 2008 Mock Draft

Whipping Post

This is obviously not going to be the correct order of drafting, but more of a general idea of what teams will be looking for at the position they are currently at.

I would love comments/feedback.

1. STL - Glenn Dorsey/DT/LSU - Rams need to change their attitude as they are the softest team in the NFL and it starts up front.
2. MIA - Jake Long/OT/Michigan - The Dolphins have a pressing need along the OL a bookend tackle is a good place to start.
3. ATL - Brian Brohm/WR/Louisville - I think the obvious connection with HC Petrino is a plus...Brohm is Jim Kelly without the cannon.
4. NO - Kenny Phillips/FS/Miami (Fl)* - Surprising that they are drafting down this far. I think they take a long look at McFadden, but when it comes down to it they have more pressing needs elsewhere.
5. BUF - Calais Campbell/DE/Miami (Fl)* - Bills are in the process of rebuilding their defense. At 6'8" 280 lbs., Campbell teamed with Schobel would be a good building block. I think they pass on a QB with Edwards and Losman.
6. MIN - Matt Ryan/QB/Boston Co. - I would like to say that the Tarvaris Jackson experiment is over, but Childress loves him. If I were drafting for the Vikes, I would take Ryan here (I think he is the best QB in this class).
7. KC - Andre Woodsen/QB/Kentucky - Chalk this one up to the fact that Brodie Croyle cannot get it done. Woodsen is a Herm Edwards type QB. Tall, smart and conservative with the ball. He has a great arm, but a hitch at the top of his release has him behind the other two QBs.
8. DAL from CLE - Darren McFadden/RB/Arkansas - While I don't think that he will last this far, none of the teams above are in need of a RB at this point. Of course the 'Boys would love to get McFadden, but someone will trade up if he goes past #3 I would think.
9. OAK - Sam Baker/OT/USC - HC Kiffin knows what he is getting with this pick. Gallery didn't work out, Baker will.
10. NYJ - Tyson Jackson/DE/LSU* - The Jets need to establish some physicality to their D-Line. A big run stuffing end that can play 3-4 or 4-3 would be a good pick. They might also think about Derrick Harvey.
11. NE from SF - James Laurinaitis/LB/Ohio St.* - The rich get richer. Pats get a perfect transition from their veterans to this stud. He is not the second coming of "The Big Kat".
12. DET - Derrick Harvey/DE/Florida* - Lions need to get to the QB, and DH knows how to do that.
13. HOU - Justin King/CB/Penn St.* - King would add to an already stout young defense. Texans need help in the secondary.
14. CIN - Dan Connor/LB/Penn St. - The Bungals need a LB to work out for them badly. Connor should be the answer in a division that requires defensive playmakers.
15. DEN - Sedrick Ellis/DT/USC - The Broncos have been adding pieces to their D-Line every draft, just never a DT like Ellis.
16. CAR - Ryan Clady/OT/Boise St.* - I think the Panthers would love to have an offensive playmaker such as a QB or WR, but nothing really fits them right here. Clady would replace LT Wharton.
17. PHI - DeSean Jackson/WR/Cal* - Eagles fill the need of KR/PR which they have had trouble with this season. He could turn into a better route runner in the Reid Offense.
18. SEA - Jonathan Stewart/RB/Oregon* - J Stew has played his way into the 1st Rou. A very shifty big back, and fills in when the 'Hawks decide that Alexander can't cut it any more.
19. CHI - Keith Rivers/LB/USC - A big fast LB that replaces Lance Briggs.
20. BAL - Malcolm Jenkins/CB/Ohio St.* - The Ravens have been beat through the air early this season. Drafting a bigger DB like Jenkins would help.
21. NYG - Gosder Cherilus/OT/Boston Co. - The G-Men can replace Kareem McKenzie with this OT. Maybe the Giants would like a LB or DT but none are really worthy of this slot.
22. ARI - Aqib Talib/CB/Kansas - The Cards don't really have a need at DB, but have been getting beat deep. I like him and I think HC Whisenhunt will too.
23. TB - Early Doucet/WR/LSU - Bucs missed out on Calvin Johnson last year, but will take this Bayou Bengal. How long will Galloway and Hilliard play?
24. JAX - Erik Ainge/QB/Tennessee - Some people may not like this pick, and thats ok. I think that the Jags will try to find a QB for their future. Why not Ainge? Tall, decent athlete and arm, completion % has gone up every year. This one was pretty tough to call (could be Colt Brennan/I would favor Ainge in the NFL).
25. TEN - Adarius Bowman/WR/Oklahoma St. - The Titans aren't going to throw very much, but VY could use a tall sure handed target to move the chains.
26. WAS - Chris Long/DE/Virginia - I don't think that he will last this long, but I couldn't come up with a place for him. Skins' D will be a beast.
27. GB - Quentin Groves/DE/Auburn - Could be a hybrid type player for the Pack, playing on the line or roaming with the LBs.
28. SD - Rey Maualuga/LB/USC* - The Chargers haven't been that good up the middle. Rey would change that in a hurry.
29. PIT - Reggie Smith/CB/Oklahoma* - Just adding to the defensive playmakers. Can play corner or cover safety. Kind of looks like a Steeler?
30. SF from IND - Keenan Burton/WR/Kentucky - Niners need to stretch the field out, period. Burton is tall with speed and would help Alex Smith move the ball.
31. DAL - Harry Douglas/WR/Louisville - Maybe I'm a little bit of a homer, but I think that Douglas is the next Marvin Harrison. He's a great route runner, great hands, and the 4.35 is just fine. Give him a QB that can get him the rock.
32. NE - Rob Blanton/Camera Man/Cumberland College - Does great with still and portrait shots. Still needs to work on long distance coverage, but overall a solid pick. (JK no pick here)

* Underclassmen

yeah I thought about DeSean Jackson with OAKs pick but I kind of felt like they could get a nice RB like Allen Patrick in the 2nd or William Franklin from Mizzou

yeah I thought about DeSean Jackson with OAKs pick but I kind of felt like they could get a nice RB like Allen Patrick in the 2nd or William Franklin from Mizzou

I would take Desean over Baker.

AL Davis type of player. speed speed speed.

AL Davis gets a hard on watching him play lol

Steelers i think go offensive linemen in the first round. They have quality depth at CB and saftey. They are losing 2 offensive linemen at the end of the year and have done little to replace them, one being an pro bowl caliber guard.

What about this Reggie Ball character at quarterback?

He has all the tools to be successful in the NFL.
He can run
He can pass
He produced the #2 pick in the draft "Megatron"

Al Davis probably will go after D Jax, they do need something to go with Curry. Porter is garb. I wish they would protect their investment in Russell. Oakland has done a pretty good job in the draft recently. Hopefully they can keep it up.

If DJ goes to OAK @ 9, I would probably move back Baker one slot to NYJ. Is D'Brick a bust? Doesn't seem like a 3rd overall pick.

reggie ball was cut by the lions before this year. why are we talking bout him? he was terrible in college.

I agree that the Steelers thrive on a solid OLine and they would benefit greatly by take a guard at this slot. I was kind of giving them the best player available, reggie is good on special teams and rossum was scary in the seattle game. A guard such as Eric Young (Tenn) could play his way into the first round and he would fit the Steelers mold. Vols running game looked great on saturday. As a steeler fan I would be happy to have either Smith or Young.

If they waited until the 2nd for the guard some possible candidates are Kerry Brown (Appy St.), Roy Schuening (Oregon St.), and Shannon Tevaga (UCLA)

Steelers i think go offensive linemen in the first round. They have quality depth at CB and saftey. They are losing 2 offensive linemen at the end of the year and have done little to replace them, one being an pro bowl caliber guard.

it will be interesting this off-season to see what dallas does with jones. if they aren't going to give barber the full time job, then i think they could do better than jones.

tampa will be looking for a back next season others oakland, chicago?, gb

where will J. Jones end up in free agency?

hes tough. i think he translates well to the NFL, low runner, decent speed, work horse back. his size will probably knock him down a round, but a team like cleveland could do worse than to add a player like hart in the 2nd

Very very nice post... what do you think of Mike Hart?

I was joking about the Reggie Ball stuff, the guy is terrible.

I am not as big into college, but I will tell you that I do not believe at all in Mike Hart or Chad Henne. I am not a michican hater or anything, I just don't see them working out.

Mike Hart is a poor mans Leon Washington, and Leon Washington isn't the caliber of player you want to be a "poor mans" of. Mike Hart is too small, not physical enough, not fast enough, not tought enough blah blah blah. Sure you could say he has "heart" and the Rudy factor, but I don't see it. Getting pissed a press conferences doesn't mean he will be a good pro.

I bring up Chad Henne also because people were saying he had " first round talent" last year, and thinking he could be a 1st round selection. The game that proved to me that he will not be a good pro was the USC bowl game.

He is a statue in the pocket, with a slow release, big windup etc. In fact, the reason why the lost the game was because both defenses were nasty, but David Bootys release allowed USC to actually have a passing game, where as Henne kept dropping back and getting sacked.

THAT was college, it will only be worse in the pros. I am not denying his strong arm, but strong armed guys are a dime a dozen in the pros. He reminds me of Bledsoe on the Cowgirls last year that was just a flat out turnover prone threat.

I agree that the Steelers thrive on a solid OLine and they would benefit greatly by take a guard at this slot. I was kind of giving them the best player available, reggie is good on special teams and rossum was scary in the seattle game. A guard such as Eric Young (Tenn) could play his way into the first round and he would fit the Steelers mold. Vols running game looked great on saturday. As a steeler fan I would be happy to have either Smith or Young.

If they waited until the 2nd for the guard some possible candidates are Kerry Brown (Appy St.), Roy Schuening (Oregon St.), and Shannon Tevaga (UCLA)

Typically steelers go after big SEC guards that have played against top tier talent in college. I think it gives them more assurance that they will be successful in the pros. Eric Young is solid, but i have a feeling with the way the team is playing this year they may be picking within the last 4 or 6 picks, so i am unsure if he will be available then. They may have to reach for a lineman if they pick that late or they may have to trade up.

i don't care for henne either. tall but a very slow release. looks like he has trouble with his reads, that shouldn't be the case with a 4 year starter.

when i look at hart compared to washington, i look at the productivity level. leon only rushed for 4.4 yards a carry in '05 at fsu. hart is currently at 5.5. hart also shows durability 318 attempts last season. leon is probably a little faster (i think hart is between 4.5 and 4.55). like washington, hart is probably not going to be an every down back.

there are a couple of senior backs that i would put in front of hart such as allen patrick, tashard choice

I am not as big into college, but I will tell you that I do not believe at all in Mike Hart or Chad Henne. I am not a michican hater or anything, I just don't see them working out.

Mike Hart is a poor mans Leon Washington, and Leon Washington isn't the caliber of player you want to be a "poor mans" of. Mike Hart is too small, not physical enough, not fast enough, not tought enough blah blah blah. Sure you could say he has "heart" and the Rudy factor, but I don't see it. Getting pissed a press conferences doesn't mean he will be a good pro.

I bring up Chad Henne also because people were saying he had " first round talent" last year, and thinking he could be a 1st round selection. The game that proved to me that he will not be a good pro was the USC bowl game.

He is a statue in the pocket, with a slow release, big windup etc. In fact, the reason why the lost the game was because both defenses were nasty, but David Bootys release allowed USC to actually have a passing game, where as Henne kept dropping back and getting sacked.

THAT was college, it will only be worse in the pros. I am not denying his strong arm, but strong armed guys are a dime a dozen in the pros. He reminds me of Bledsoe on the Cowgirls last year that was just a flat out turnover prone threat.

Have you ever seen Hart play? He's nothing like Leon Washington...size is about all they have in common. Leon's shifty and catches balls out of the backfield. Harts small but hes still a power runner the guy had so much drive in his legs he can move a pile like no one else of his size. Leon Washington wouldn't ever be able to handle 40 pounding carries a game like hart does... Hart is also a great blocker.

That being said...I do agree that Hart's game won't translate well to the NFL .. but leon washington is a terrible comparison.

Hart is currently at 5.5per carry, but played a D1AA team and a terrible Notre Fame team thus far.

Who wants a small back that isn't blazing fast.

Yes, I have watched Mike Hart, and if he didn't go to Michigan and have that line( but say NC State for example), nobody would talk about him.

Sure, he has a cool last name, but he would be a 3rd down back at best in the NFL.

I don't post in the college forumn, but I think LSU is freaking sick and going to win the whole thing. That is the best college defense I have seen in years. Jemarcus Russell owes those guys big time.

The Bears are not taking Rivers, it seems Lance Briggs might stay. They definitely take a wide receiver to help with the new QB. Or an offensive lineman because that line is so old.

Back