WOW... Pitino wants to coach Sacramento

Killa

To the left, to the left, to the right to the righ
Sorry if this was already posted? Big news.

Report: Pitino wants to coach Kings

ESPN.com news services
Louisville coach Rick Pitino is a candidate for the Sacramento Kings job, Yahoo! Sports reported.

Pitino, Yahoo! reported, has let Kings' ownership know he is interested in a return to the NBA. One league official said the Maloof family was "intrigued."

Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof told Yahoo! the Kings haven't spoken with Pitino.

"I think he's a great coach and he's done an unbelievable job at Louisville," Maloof told Yahoo! Sports. "But we haven't talked to him."

Pitino wasn't part of the Kings' coaching search because of his profile and price tag. Sacramento likely would not be able to afford him. But, the Maloofs could be reconsidering because of Pitino's interest. He makes more than $3 million a season at Louisville.

Pitino previously coached the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics in the NBA.

Pitino, who led the Cardinals to the Final Four, has had an interesting offseason. He's involved in an extortion case involving the estranged wife of a basketball staff member. Pitino filed charges against the woman, Karen Sypher, who federal authorities arrested and charged on April 24.

Pitino's son, Richard, a Louisville assistant, took a job on Billy Donovan's staff at Florida.

He better drop his asking price if he ever wants another job in the NBA. Can't see the Kings, or any other team, giving him 3 million a year to try and prove he can coach the unmotivated.

I guess the question is are they interested in winning or putting on a show? Answer that and we'll know if they'd hire him.

I think they should get him. Pay him. He'll bring instant interest and excitement to what it is a dead franchise, one with a Yag man as its top player.

If you're implying that choosing the latter means going after Pitino, I disagree. He's a better basketball mind than any other hack they'll choose. The fact that he actually wants to go there makes me think he'll be pretty damn focused on this job. I would get him.

You know Pitino has a rotten taste in his mouth from the Boston experience...I mean he was good in NY for the short stint..I think he can coach the NBA.

Vlade Divac is not walking through that door!

If you're implying that choosing the latter means going after Pitino, I disagree. He's a better basketball mind than any other hack they'll choose. The fact that he actually wants to go there makes me think he'll be pretty damn focused on this job. I would get him.

Can't argue that he's a sharp mind, but I don't think it translates that well to the NBA game. The coach of the year in the NBA this year doesn't know what a pick and roll is. Phil Jackson doesn't even bother to call timeouts anymore. It's not like they can be motivated or taught how to throw a bounce entry pass to the post. If they are only interested in winning I'd like to believe that there are better hires out there.

Can't argue that he's a sharp mind, but I don't think it translates that well to the NBA game. The coach of the year in the NBA this year doesn't know what a pick and roll is. Phil Jackson doesn't even bother to call timeouts anymore. It's not like they can be motivated or taught how to throw a bounce entry pass to the post. If they are only interested in winning I'd like to believe that there are better hires out there.

LOL

Mike Brown winning coach of the year is indeed laughable. First non-coach to win coach of the year. I guess coaching NBA is more about managing egos than it is actually coaching.

It would be a mistake imo for Pitino to go back to NBA, he already failed at his last stint in Boston. He has Louisville as a contender year in and year out and is good at coaching kids. He was so frustrated with the fans and the NBA professional players not sure why he would want to subject himself to that again.

This broke right when I layed down last night. I kind of laughed it off at first but expect it too happen. Jump is right, it's an exact maloof thing to do. LMAO at the Vlade comment. Pitino was horrid in Boston but wasn't he GM as well there? He was great in NY but only coached two years. The second year they won 59 games I believe with that full-court trap and 3-ball offense. That was a fun team. My guess is he would want full control in Sacramento?

Pitino would just be setting himself up for failure here though. Red Auerbach couldn't turn around that Sacramento team. Can anyone see any way they're a serious contender in the next 5 years? I don't. How is their cap situation?

Mike Brown winning coach of the year is indeed laughable. First non-coach to win coach of the year. I guess coaching NBA is more about managing egos than it is actually coaching.

It is about managing egos. When is the last Championship coach that was a real teacher? Yup, LB back in 2004. Very rare these days. Hard to be a teacher in the NBA with these guys making these enormous salaries.

Yea I think it would be important for him not to have the keys the whole car if he does do it...get a GM and let them to their job.

Only chance of success imo

Pitino would just be setting himself up for failure here though. Red Auerbach couldn't turn around that Sacramento team. Can anyone see any way they're a serious contender in the next 5 years? I don't. How is their cap situation?

They will have some room. The key is does anyone want to go there?

Yeah, i hope he does get the Kings job... I heard he's good but i only had bad memories of him when he last coached his last NBA team. I think Pitino is much much better than... Eddie Jordan... Geeeez seriously, KINGS???

I guess coaching NBA is more about managing egos than it is actually coaching.

Thats about all you have to do when it comes to the nba, you cannot motivate disinterested millionaires especially during a long season.....in the postseason coaches have a shot but thats about it.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Another thing to consider is that Sacramento is not totally stable with staying there. They want a new 'ARCO', which is only 20-22 years old btw. I just remember reading midseason about some of these teams relocating to cities with pre-existing arenas due to the finacial woes.

It'd probably be in his next contract that Pitino has to be his wing man when he goes out.

Absolutely. The man on man fellatio ratio would increase a solid 68 percent.

:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:

appreciate not using the obvious '69' joke.

Couple of reasons why Pitino for the Kings would be good, for him at least.

1. No longer have to deal with recruiting 1 and done punks.
2. Get out of Kentucky
3. Stop worrying about NCAA rules and violations
4. He won't have to work in 2011 since the NBA will be in a lockout.

sounds good to me. Get some up front cash, win a few more games than last year and then take a year off in 2011. sign me up.

Ahem Mitchell won it the year before.

Pitno would work in Sactown because there arent too many inflated ego's to manage. Besides Martin, itll be like coaching college kids again.

Martin would probably be my only concern as far as fit goes.

www.hoopsworld.com

Rick Pitino Not Happening: Yesterday, Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski, who is top shelf in this business reported that Louisville head coach Rick Pitino had interest in the vacant King's coaching job and that several sources had told Yahoo! that the interest was mutual and that Pitino was a legitimate candidate. Since that story broke, all sides of this story have chimed in basically shooting down the notion of Pitino leaving Louisville and that the Kings have had any talks with him.
U.of.L spokesman Kenny Klein told The Courier-Journal that he had talked with Pitino, who is in Florida, and the coach indicated that "he's not going anywhere."
Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof denied the team has talked to Rick, saying to Yahoo! "I think he's a great coach and he's done an unbelievable job at Louisville, but we haven't talked to him."

Another thing to consider is that Sacramento is not totally stable with staying there. They want a new 'ARCO', which is only 20-22 years old btw. I just remember reading midseason about some of these teams relocating to cities with pre-existing arenas due to the finacial woes.
I live an hour away from Arco Arena and the local news always says they are going if they don't get a new stadium. Arco Arena is a dump. It's old and definately needs a revamp like they did to the Oakland Coliseum (Oracle Arena) years ago.

As far as the Kings go, yeah they do suck but they have a lot of upside. The 2 young guys, both on the front court have game: Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson. They can both shoot and rebound, that's a plus. Here's there starting 5

PG: B Udrih
SG: K. Martin
SF: Nocioni/F. Garcia
PF: J. Thompson
C: S. Hawes

Bench: Nobody

Not the greatest but servicable. They'll get about 30-35 wins next year. Maybe. haha.

well, kinda. haha. I think they can get 30 wins next year, like I said maybe. Well maybe 20-25. If things go there way they'll have the #1 pick, but it rarely works out that way.

Once they traded Artest, Brad Miller, and John Salmons, they basically announced they are rebuilding. BTW, it's the homer in me with all the optimism. I live smack dab in the middle of Oracle arena and Arco arena so my allegiances are to these 2 sorry ass teams. To tell you the truth, combined the Warriors and Kings could barely put up a decent team.

Pitino with,

Blake Griffen/James Harden/Tyreke Evans,

Donte Green,

Jason Thompson,

Spencer Hawes

OHHHHHH YEEAAAHHH I SEEE WHHHYYYY

well, kinda. haha. I think they can get 30 wins next year, like I said maybe. Well maybe 20-25. If things go there way they'll have the #1 pick, but it rarely works out that way.

Once they traded Artest, Brad Miller, and John Salmons, they basically announced they are rebuilding. BTW, it's the homer in me with all the optimism. I live smack dab in the middle of Oracle arena and Arco arena so my allegiances are to these 2 sorry ass teams. To tell you the truth, combined the Warriors and Kings could barely put up a decent team.

Oh no, I meant "BS?" as in is this rumor BS after BAR posted about it not being true.

Back