World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship

• Thread starter Thread starter abcs
  • Start date Start date
A

abcs

This isnt until next week, but i wanted to start a thread on it for info and tips..
This is basically the march madness of Golf.. :cheers:

MELBOURNE, Feb 13 (Reuters) - Former U.S. Open champion Michael Campbell has been cleared to play in next week's WGC-Accenture Match Play event after injuring his neck in a hotel gym.
The 37-year-old New Zealander was working out after his second round at the Malaysian Open in Kuala Lumpur on Friday when he injured his neck doing a series of headstand exercises.
Campbell, who won his only major title at Pinehurst in 2005, was told by his physiotherapist that the damage was muscular and not serious.
"It now allows me to compete in next week's matchplay in Tuscon as I was worried I might miss out," Campbell told the New Zealand Press Association.

"I was always having this week off so it's worked out well as I can give my neck the rest it needs. I won't be practising this week and I will do that when I get to the States."
Campbell played through the pain barrier in Saturday's third round in Kuala Lumpur, where he shot a 78, but pulled out before Sunday's final round.
The WGC World Match Play, the first of the year's World Golf Championship events, tees off at Dove Mountain in Tucson, Arizona from Feb. 21.

Putting for d'oh

In his third start of the year, Ian Poulter shot a 6-over 77 on Thursday and was stumbling along at 1-over for his second round on Friday -- not a terrible score, but certainly far from making the cut -- when he had his John Daly moment. On the par-3 16th hole, Poulter missed a short birdie putt, but instead of tapping in from inches away, he rapped the ball between his legs toward the original spot and tried again. The four-putt led to double-bogey and a 75 with -- gulp -- 33 total putts. Can't imagine Poulter will be heading to the Match Play (where he's reached the quarterfinals in two of three career starts) with much confidence this week.

Rory's story

You can set your calendar by it. Every three years, book Rory Sabbatini for a PGA Tour victory. He earned his initial win at the 2000 Air Canada Championship, then 66 starts later claimed the title at the FBR Capital Open in '03. It took 70 more starts for him to nab last year's Nissan Open, which by our calculations means that if the pattern continues, he should be a lock for, say, the 2009 Sony Open.

Justin time?

The struggles continued for Justin Leonard this week, as he shot 70-74 to miss the cut by one stroke. It was his fourth missed cut in four starts this season, as he's failed to break 70 in 11 rounds this year and 17 total dating back to last year.

Meet your match

With a T-3 finish at the Nissan, Robert Allenby will head to the Match Play with momentum. Keep an eye on him this week. In six career starts in the event, he's reached the second round five times. Plus, his PGA Tour playoff record is 3-0, indicating he's one of the better match play competitors around. He'll need to be, with a potential matchup against Tiger Woods looming for Thursday.

I will be banging toms over olberhoser this week.. Waitin for the lines to come out. Also have some other goodies on my plate

sorry.. what blog ;)? Oh that blog haha

BTW did u read chauncys comments about the east layin an egg, glad someone had the balls to rip those clowns

Woods wins this tourney or makes it to the semis.. Did you read the article where woods beat smoltz francouer and another brave in best ball badly haha

Trio not up to par against Tiger

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/19/07
Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — John Smoltz, Jeff Francoeur and Adam LaRoche teamed up to face Tiger Woods on the golf course Saturday. It wasn't even close.
LaRoche forgot his clubs, and things went downhill from there.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=170 bgColor=#cccccc border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=9 width=168 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=body>RELATED STORIES • More Braves coverage
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->
"We got crushed," Francoeur said Sunday, a day after Woods beat the trio's best ball on 16 of 18 holes. "But it was the best time I ever had getting my butt kicked."
Smoltz, Francoeur and LaRoche, the former Braves first baseman, played Smoltz's pal Woods at Isleworth Country Club, where the PGA star has a home.
Smoltz and Woods play a round of golf together each year during Braves spring training. This was the first time Francoeur and LaRoche were part of it.
"We could not have played worse," Smoltz said. "But it was such a blast."
Smoltz is a scratch golfer who might play on the PGA Champions Tour someday. Francoeur and LaRoche are also long hitters and good golfers, by most standards.
But the PGA tours in general, and Woods in particular, are a different level.
"We're not used to being [golf] teammates," Smoltz said, offering a half-hearted excuse for his trio's performance. "We like playing against each other."
The tone for the day was set when LaRoche showed up at the Braves' clubhouse at Disney's Wide World of Sports in jeans, unaware of their approaching tee time. The Braves waited for him to change into khakis.
When they got to the country club, LaRoche asked where Chipper Jones was. Told the third baseman wasn't playing, LaRoche had a troubled look and informed the group he had left his clubs in Jones' car Friday. Jones met him halfway to deliver the clubs.
After making Woods wait, the Braves watched him tee off first and blast his tee shot over a stand of trees the others would never try to clear.
Woods shot a "66 or 67," according to Francoeur, or 68, according to Smoltz.
The others? "I shot probably 77," Smoltz said. "[Francoeur] had one of his worst rounds." LaRoche? "I shot about 84," Francoeur said, "and I can truly say Rochy was worse than I was."
Before Saturday, Francoeur said he played golf with Woods — on PlayStation.
"I told him, 'I've actually played you quite a lot,' " the young right fielder said. "He had no idea [what Francoeur was talking about]."
On the par-3 second hole, he said Woods hit his tee shot six inches from the cup, then talked some good-natured trash, as he would throughout the round. "He's like, 'I misread that one,' " Francoeur said, smiling and shaking his head.
"What amazes me is how far he can hit the ball, because he's not a huge guy. He's just got so much swing speed. He teed off [on the first hole], hit one about 340 yards, then got some chocolate-chip cookies out of his cart. ...
"It's amazing you can have that much fun and shoot 66 or 67."
Francoeur said the baseball players didn't actually have complete scores — because they so often picked up before finishing a hole, after Woods birdied it.
While it probably didn't match the thrill of playing golf with Woods, the Braves were clearly happy to see LaRoche again for the first time since he was traded to Pittsburgh in January for reliever Mike Gonzalez.
After LaRoche entered the clubhouse, pitcher Mike Hampton said to him with a straight face, "I know you don't have cable [TV] in Kansas, but you've been traded. You've got to go to Bradenton [the Pirates' spring training home]."

lol...Great article...

Smoltzie can play some golf for sure...

That's funny shit...not sure what they're saying Tiger's not big..

Guy is a monster.

These odds suck.. stricker is only +110? I wonder if another book will offer better ones

Bart Bryant (-115) over Ian Poulter to win 1.5 units
Justin Rose (-145) over Mike Campbell to win 1 unit
Davis Toms (-200) over Aaron Obelhoser to win 1 unit
Paul Casey (-125) over Mike Weir to win 1.5 units
Robert Allenby (-175) over Tim Clark to win 1 unit
A lot of favorites.. I know but well see how it goes
The greek

:cheers: Will have some mexican plays as well

Last edited by a moderator:
good shit in here...i'll be checking out some match-ups throughout the day...we'll have to talk about some and collab on one or two.

BAR i see ya.. i am about to post my bracket i want to see urs as well

on a completely side note, i really like a couple of these matchups. I am not one of those guys who is starving for action. If one of the rounds seems to tough to bet i wouldnt play it. I just think this card sets up extremly nice.Fading Campbell and Obelhoser due to injuries.Taking allenby to his hot play, and clarks lack of play and sucssess in this event. Casey over weir is a difficult one. Prob should have taken baddely instead, just think his distance as well as playin college golf in zona will help.

just added a play for that silly mexican tourney

That course might be the nicest on tour

Back