Wish I didn't like the NFL

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
G

Gyno

The product is garbage..

But I like it, why I have no idea.. Horrible penalties, stupid rules.

Let me guess you lost a bet tonight.....The product is not garbage and you'll be watching and placing bets as soon as the next games are available on Sunday.

We all make bad picks. Which I assume you did, because of this thread. Just move on to the next game.

Has nothing to do with a bet.. I don't get high or low..

Was feeling the same way last week and I won..

The penalties really turn me off..

I disagree with this, the NFL is my favorite because of the talent on the field. There is more parity in the league now that I think there has been in recent years and the games are usually all pretty decent. I agree the penalties suck but that Has to do with the heightened sensitivity about injuries and suing the NFL and so forth. The NFL is soon what is necessary to cover their ass from lawsuits. Don't blame them, it's the player who played and got hurt, living in a suing happy society that have changed it.

I'll take NCAA football over the NFL any day, 10 yrs ago that was not the case.
Last night......3 bad roughing calls in the NFL, 2 on Pitt 1 on Balty. Flipped to the BYU/UH game and there were some shots in that game that would have been flagged for sure in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about safety for the players but those calls last night were bad.

I also like the atmosphere at a college game better. If you've never been to a service academy game, go.....the pregame stuff is very cool at AFA.

The hit on Upshaw is a very confusing thing. You cannot hit the QB above the shoulders or below the knees. When Upshaw hit him, his head was UP. He did not drive him to the ground. If that play is a penalty the rules are a major issue.

Interesting they protect players more on the pro level than college. I know college has the targeting rule, but still.

I just heard that the league told the officials if in doubt with a call, just throw the flag anyway. If theres doubt, its a penalty. The rule needs to be amended slightly i think

The officiating affects the game too much now a days. The penalties aren't being called consistently, it's a cluster fuck.

I love the talent on the field and the game itself. what I can't stand is the commercials every 3 minutes, the refs.. College is way better IMO.

The pass interference rule in the NFL is the most flawed rule and the worst officated call in all of sports.

Can I add way too many commercials, at least on Sundays there is Red Zone channel with no commercials, but these prime time games are brutal to watch.

What if they start reviewing the PI and illegal contact calls? I've heard that brought up...

They could review anything they want, but why don't they switch to the much more efficient review system used by college football? How ridiculous is it that a coach has to throw a flag, then they have to talk about what the challenge is, then the ref has to run over to some carnival like device to watch a replay on a 10" screen?

The hit on Ben was a textbook hit that should be taught to all youth football players. That's exactly how you should hit. Head up, and aim right for the ball carrier's chest.

Shame on the NFL

And if you look at replay, Ben actually had the ball out so the defender has every right to go after that ball, aggressively.

I'd fine the ref, Ed Hoc, for the bad call.

Those penalties were shameful. If it weren't for gambling I would have zero interest in the NFL. Hopefully Goodell gets the axe for the Rice situation and someone like Tagliabue comes back.

Those penalties were shameful. If it weren't for gambling I would have zero interest in the NFL. Hopefully Goodell gets the axe for the Rice situation and someone like Tagliabue comes back.

This and fantasy football are the only reasons most people watch the NFL. I agree with gyno that the product is unwatchhable (I've been on my soapbox a few times on CTG talking about how much I despise the NFL)...unless you're gambling on it. It has nothing to do with losing bets or anything, watching NFL games is torturous most of the time. First, there is literally only about 11 minutes of actual game play in a 60 minute game...then you couple that with countless commercials, penalties, reviews, etc and it becomes unwatchable. We don't even have to talk about how poorly the games are, and have been, officiated to talk about it being unwatchable either....but we could.

This and fantasy football are the only reasons most people watch the NFL. I agree with gyno that the product is unwatchhable (I've been on my soapbox a few times on CTG talking about how much I despise the NFL)...unless you're gambling on it. It has nothing to do with losing bets or anything, watching NFL games is torturous most of the time. First, there is literally only about 11 minutes of actual game play in a 60 minute game...then you couple that with countless commercials, penalties, reviews, etc and it becomes unwatchable. We don't even have to talk about how poorly the games are, and have been, officiated to talk about it being unwatchable either....but we could.

It's overproduced and exposed. The NFL doesn't understand that less can be more. Very little of the hype is about the game itself which is why the product is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Personally I like balance. I want the defense to have a chance even against well executed offensive plays and strategy. I realize the fantasy nuts would hate this. I can't stand the flags last night. It sucks to see offensive players now beg for flags they don't deserve and usually receive them with enough pandering.

It's overproduced and exposed. The NFL doesn't understand that less can be more. Very little of the hype is about the game itself which is why the product is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I like how you put it, and you're spot on. A couple of examples would be Thursday night games...there is no reason to play a game every Thursday, when it affects the preparation for the game, and the product on the field suffers....they are knowingly putting out an inferior product, simply to make more money by having a stand-alone game on Thursday nights. The other example would be the NFL talking about (and at some point adopting) an 18 game schedule....it's just not necessary. Even them expanding the playoffs is something that isn't necessary. They just continue to do things with nothing but money on their minds, that's the only end game they are concerned with...at what point is it enough?

What if they start reviewing the PI and illegal contact calls? I've heard that brought up...

they do it in the CFL starting this year and it's actually been a huge help, saved a few teams from losing on horrible PI calls at the end of the game

I like how you put it, and you're spot on. A couple of examples would be Thursday night games...there is no reason to play a game every Thursday, when it affects the preparation for the game, and the product on the field suffers....they are knowingly putting out an inferior product, simply to make more money by having a stand-alone game on Thursday nights. The other example would be the NFL talking about (and at some point adopting) an 18 game schedule....it's just not necessary. Even them expanding the playoffs is something that isn't necessary. They just continue to do things with nothing but money on their minds, that's the only end game they are concerned with...at what point is it enough?

the 18 game schedule has the easiest fix

just cut out 1 week from the preseason and make it an 18 week season with 2 byes

all the networks get the extra revenue of an extra weekend of football, you lose 2 or 3 games a few weekends (with 8 to 12 games starting in the morning sunday time slot anyway right that shouldn't be a big issue to drop it)

gives teams an extra break too which should help with recovery, each team gets a bye between weeks 4-9 and another in weeks 10-15 or something, no byes the last 3 weeks or whatever

maybe even make it so the team playing thursday has to have a bye the sunday before

the 18 game schedule has the easiest fix

just cut out 1 week from the preseason and make it an 18 week season with 2 byes

all the networks get the extra revenue of an extra weekend of football, you lose 2 or 3 games a few weekends (with 8 to 12 games starting in the morning sunday time slot anyway right that shouldn't be a big issue to drop it)

gives teams an extra break too which should help with recovery, each team gets a bye between weeks 4-9 and another in weeks 10-15 or something, no byes the last 3 weeks or whatever

maybe even make it so the team playing thursday has to have a bye the sunday before

Agree with your fixes 100%. But wouldn't they have to cut out 3 weeks of preseason in order to have 2 byes for each team? They would need the 17 weeks they have now plus 3 more to get to 20 (18 games plus 2 bye weeks for each team). Not that it matters, because the preseason could be 2 games and have the same effect it does now.

They should already be doing that with the Thursday games, and they're not, which is kind of mind boggling. The NFL knows how bad the TNF games have been, couldn't they realize they could improve that by giving the teams playing a bye the week before? We just have to hope the NFL somehow realizes this, and your 'fix' for the 18 game schedule as well...I'm not sure they will.

not an 18 game schedule, just season, it adds the extra week

its a 17 week season now, drop to 3 preseason games from 4 and make it an 18 week season, 16 games played

if they wanted an 18 game season I don't see how they go to 2 byes, which would be crazy, because it would extend the season in to late february

not an 18 game schedule, just season, it adds the extra week

its a 17 week season now, drop to 3 preseason games from 4 and make it an 18 week season, 16 games played

if they wanted an 18 game season I don't see how they go to 2 byes, which would be crazy, because it would extend the season in to late february

Oh yeah, it's a great idea. The NFL is trying to play 18 games though. We are trying to improve the product on the field, the NFL is trying to make more money from extra games.

They could do 18 games with 2 byes and have it end the same time it does now. Every team would play HOF weekend, then one more preseason game, then the season starts, so you're cutting out 3 weeks from the preseason as it stands now.

The product is garbage..

But I like it, why I have no idea.. Horrible penalties, stupid rules.
Agree,its not even entertaining anymore.... every play even announcers are saying " and theres no flags"
Been watching over 30 years and last week I nearly turned off.

Let me guess you lost a bet tonight.....The product is not garbage and you'll be watching and placing bets as soon as the next games are available on Sunday.

We all make bad picks. Which I assume you did, because of this thread. Just move on to the next game.
cmon man :cigarguy:

Oh yeah, it's a great idea. The NFL is trying to play 18 games though. We are trying to improve the product on the field, the NFL is trying to make more money from extra games.

They could do 18 games with 2 byes and have it end the same time it does now. Every team would play HOF weekend, then one more preseason game, then the season starts, so you're cutting out 3 weeks from the preseason as it stands now.

I think they want 18 games for the extra weeks of tv and commercial revenue though, especially prime time games, if they can get that without extra games its a win-win with the Union and much more likely go be passed

Back