Why would you draft Adrian Peterson so high?

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
I'm not saying he's a bad RB. I really don't know, he might be great, he might not.

But look at the guys you could very likely have this year who are far more proven. Thomas Jones, Willis McGahee, Domnick Rhodes. And that's just for starters. Now, each of these guys may have a knock on them, but you know for a fact they can all play the position in the NFL.

You don't know that about Peterson, nor do you know how durable he's going to be.

Again, he's certainly worth a top 20 pick or so, but to make him a top three guy is, to me is a little confusing.

The reasons i like him for a fit for the browns at #3:

He has a unusual combination of size and speed.
He runs the 40 in 4.3 flat range
His 10 yard shuttle and his 20 yard split are even better.
He has great vision and he hits holes as they open.
Above average in pass blocking, needs work on his technique.
Someone that can handle 20+ carries a game

Not that i am completely sold on him. But i think at this point he is our 3rd best option.

1.) Joe Thomas (only if detroit can find a way to fuck this draft up)
2.) Trade down, get a extra pick, and select Amobi Okoye
3.) Adrian Peterson

I know your going to ask if you want a NT as your second scenario then why not select branch. I just do not like his style of play i think he is not going to do much in the NFL, i do not think he could hold down the NT of a 3-4. Also because i have been fooled before of over-hyped michigan players.

I thought peterson was going to run around a 4.33 not a 4.38. Still a decent time but it is a big difference considering what scouts and trainers were saying.

They said "AP is a unusual combination of size and speed. During his training workouts he has been timed from 4.28 to 4.41 40 yard dash."

I like the argument that he's the best RB in a weak class, though that wouldn't get me to vault him into the top three.

Of course, Phil Savage loves him some OU student-athletes so what do I know.

I really, really, really, really, really hope the Browns don't f**k up this draft.

Peterson is a game changer, he will be a star. There are two for sure game changers in this draft offensively. That is Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. I would be happy if the Lions took either. Backus is a LT so Thomas might not go to Detroit. Detroit has no playmakers, no one a team is afraid of.

Peterson is a game changer, he will be a star. There are two for sure game changers in this draft offensively. That is Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. I would be happy if the Lions took either. Backus is a LT so Thomas might not go to Detroit. Detroit has no playmakers, no one a team is afraid of.

agree with all that. my only AP worry is durability. he seems injury prone to me.

I agree he is injury prone. He running style is more upright than most traditional backs which is the reason that most scouts think he is injury prone. Also, a 16 game season is far different than a collegiate 11 game season. He could be a good back but the only question is if he can last a whole season. I still would like the browns to select Joe Thomas if he is there.

AP and his injuries are probably always going to be a question but you cant question his ability because like most of you guys said he is a "game changer"...Throw last year out of the equation How good was AP his freshman year...Im not letting that pass me by at #3

AP and his injuries are probably always going to be a question but you cant question his ability because like most of you guys said he is a "game changer"...Throw last year out of the equation How good was AP his freshman year...Im not letting that pass me by at #3

:bow:

WE know the Lions will pass him because they are the dumbest franchise in all of sports. GL AD at 3.

I think the browns would like to entertain offers of switching picks because of their length of needs they need to address this 2007 draft. Houston and cleveland trade would make sense for both teams. I would be happy with it also because the browns also need corner help as well that could be addressed early in round 2 if a trade is done.

i've mentioned this somewhere else, but it all depends on who needs what at what positions.......this was the reasoning for Aaron Rogers dropping to like 26th to the Packers the other year.....If the Browns management say they want to draft a young RB, then they take the number 1 RB in the draft, which would be Peterson....If you look at someone like Paul Poslusny, he was top 10 last year, but theres like 2 teams who are drafting LB this year, so he drops, not necessarily because of a bad year (I live in PA, Conner just played at his level, Pos didnt drop a bit), but because teams arent drafting LB's, so unfortunately for him, he drops

Crennel was interviewed yesterday by local media and was asked about his thoughts on guys he liked at the combine. Everything from the ND running back, to Calvin Johnson being "a stud and a half", to "LaMarcus" Russell... but out of 8 players he mentioned, absolutely nothing about Peterson...

which means you can bet that's who they'll take if no trade partner is found and he's available at 3.

So true, Rolub. "LaMarcus," I love it.

The more this goes on, the more I'm thinking they might just trade this pick, though.

Calvin Johnson is, if possible, getting even more popular and Peterson had a great workout at the combine. Also, everybody knows that if Calvin Johnson is there at four he's going to TB and that if the Browns stay they'll probably take AP. So if you want either of these guys you've got to trade with the Browns.

They're in a great position, I just hope they can take advantage of it.

One potential trade I've heard mentioned was a Thomas Jones for Braylon Edwards deal... not sure if any sort of draft picks would be involved. Seems that the deal could work for both teams, and would allow the Browns to then take Johnson at 3, if he's available.

I agree with you, and have been saying all along, that if the top two teams hold court and go Russell-Thomas 1-2, the Browns would be in a great position to trade... whether it's adding a pick by switching spots with Tampa, or trading down with Minnesota or Atlanta, who both are likely to be looking WR and would like to jump Gruden to get the top player in the draft. And depending on if any other mid 1st round teams fell in love with Peterson, they could trade down deeper in the first, and then target Levi Brown (still addressing the need on O-line without paying for Joe Thomas) and drafting RB in 2nd round (Michael Bush?).

:cheers:

joe thomas isn't going to detroit. They got foster from denver in the bly deal.

joe thomas isn't going to detroit. They got foster from denver in the bly deal.

Foster, who isn't going to save that O-line by himself, plays RT and Thomas plays LT. There's plenty room for both.

:cheers:

That Bly deal means one of two things.

Either, yes, the Lions won't be taking Joe Thomas at number two (which would be very strange seeing as how it was only days ago I read a rumor that they were actually thinking of trading up to make sure they got him) or they are stockpiling guys to trade.

Why the trade for Tatum Bell? The Lions have their RB?

I think the Lions have put themselves in a good position with players to potentially trade out of the number two spot.

But I'd love it if they stayed right there and took Quinn or something, then Thomas could fall to the Browns who'd pay number three money to a guy everybody assumed would be the number two pick.

That all said, that Thomas Jones/Braylon Edwards rumor may have been from me. As soon as I saw Jones wanted out I threw out that idea, trade Edwards for Jones and draft Calvin Johnson. Not like it's the most original idea, though, so if you read it in a paper or something I wouldn't be shocked.

I like that idea, actually, because it would send a message to the Browns locker room that if you want to behave like an ass you're going to get shipped out. I also like Jones. He seemed to really have his head on straight in the Super Bowl, which is what you need in big games like that.

Joe, Kevin Jones has a serious ankle injury and might not be ready for the season. THey have no true backup, Bell is a 1,000 yard rusher who will fit well in Detroit with speed out of the backfield. I agree that they are stockpiling to trade down. They will not draft Quinn at 2. If they don't get Kevin Curtis in FA, don't be surprised if they take Calvin Johnson or at least dangle him for trade bait to get more picks.

Good info, Hunt.

Yeah, I think we all expect them to land Kevin Curtis, but if they don't I suppose I could see the argument for CJ.

My hopes are pretty simple.

1. The Browns don't f**k this draft up.

2. The Eagles get Reggie Nelson from Florida, that other safety from Texas, or some other immediate defensive help to aid their depth there.

After that, if Jon Gruden wants to spin around on his head like a top or Matt Millen wants to spend his entire draft on WRs who won't pan out, that's totally fine with me.

LOL..Millen will find a way to fuck up.

I think your Browns are sitting pretty, they will have the choice of THomas and AD IMo. BUT they might have to trade with Detroit. THe hot rumor is Arizona trying to trade up to get #2. THey want THomas bad.

Reggie Nelson is a stud. That is a good get if the Eagles do get him.

I saw that. I still think Millen might be run out of town if he takes Calvin Johnson--this despite the fact that CJ may be the best of any of the WRs he's taken in the last three years.

I'm sorry, but if you can build a great offensive line almost overnight, in that horrible division, you do it and you can contend for a playoff spot almost immediately because you can contend for your division almost immediately.

I think, though, we might see both Detroit and Cleveland trade down at this point.

I ahte giving this fucker props but he's a freak. Both his injuries were fluke injuries not due to durability. Whoever gets him is getting a monster of a back. This guy was the best HS RB talent wise to come out of Texas since Eric Dickerson. Don't forget what he did his frosh year at OU when he had a QB worth a shit.

Don't forget what he did his frosh year at OU when he had a QB worth a shit.

That's a good point. I mean, in Cleveland he might not have an offensive line, but imagine what he could do with Charlie Frye.

=)

I agree with Horn..I have been saying all along the only guys that can be game changers on offense right away are AD and CJ...that's it...they are playmakers.

Disagree. Roy Williams is a top 5 receiver. He showed his mettle for 75 percent of last season. This year I think we'll see 100 catches and an 1800 yard season

I agree Roy is good, but he isn't a player that touches the ball 4 or 5 times and can score...I think CJ is that type of special player, but that's just me.

Roy Williams is a pretty good playmaker for the Lions. He does always seem to have health issues though even at Texas he always seemed to tweak a hammy or quad here and there.

He did play for Odessa Permian in HS the team Friday Night Lights is based off of lol. If you thought Smash was getting pussy left in right in HS imagine Roy.

I like Roy Williams, I think he's only going to get better.

The fact that they don't have anyone to throw to him and really don't for the forseeable future, that's a story for a different thread.

joe you like the Browns as well right? Can't remember I know you like the Eagles though.

Anyway who do you want the Browns to take?

Anyway who do you want the Browns to take?

Sorry i just had to chime in because i am a HUGE browns fan. I want them to take AP because O-Line is really getting built up in FA and the new O-Line coach gives me much optimism for this upcomming season.

Both, my friend, both.

I should qualify this by saying that I do a lot of things well, but I would make the worst NFL scout ever. Very rarely do the guys I like in college pan out.

That said, I'd like the Browns to trade down. If they could get another pick in the second round and pick up someone like Levi Brown or Amobi Okoye, I'd be very happy. If they didn't go O-line with the first pick, I wouldn't be upset to see them take the guy from Central Michigan with their second pick.

If they did go O-line early, though, I wouldn't mind seeing them take a shot on Kenny Irons with their second pick.

I worry that they may not do that, though. I think they really still feel the sting of passing on LT and that they might end up with AP. Which, of course, might just work out perfectly because I'm not sold on AP.

I'm not sold on Quinn, either, so watch him turn out to be the next Tom Brady.

As for the Birds, I'm crossing my fingers for Reggie Nelson from Florida.

Yeah, I really like Calvin Johnson and I know that everybody and their mother says the last thing the Browns should do would be to draft a WR, but I'd be temped to do it anyway then try to package off Edwards.

The problem, I believe, would be taking the cap hit from Braylon.

However, I still think if they can trade down they'd be smarter to do that.

Even if AD is another LT, the Browns need, desperately need, more than just one player here.

It's also why I would really be interested in Okoye if they could get him, becuase he's so young. If they could get him, and if he turns out to be what people say he's going to be, they could lock that kid up to a long term deal at 21 and they'd be set there for years.

This organization needs stability and talent like oxygen.

i agree with joe there 110%. But even if we trade down then AP might still fall to us lol. Amobi Okoye is a special player and has the frame to put on more pounds. I like him as a trade down pick.

The thing I honestly like most about Okoye, outside of the fact that they say this guy's as genuine as the day is long, is that he's 19. 19. Nine. Teen. He could easily solidify one position on your team for a decade and be at the top of his game for that entire time.

Obviously that would take a good deal of luck and the right management of the situation by an organization, but to get someone who seems to have amazing potential, who by all accounts is a great person, and who is so young, I really think years from now people could look at this guy as the steal of this draft.

Which, sadly with my draft track record means something will happen and he'll be out of the league in three years.

But, on th off chance that doesn't happen, I really like this kid.

Back