Why is Illinios favored against Wisky?

chips t

Pretty much a regular
Illinios was very lucky to beat PSU. PSU had four turnovers deep in Ill. territory and allowed a special teams td. Ill is much improved, but to be favored against a top 10 undeafeated team? Jamaica has Wisky +3. I would put the line at Wisky -5.5. I would still bet Wisky if it were -3 instead of +3.

I was hoping I could take Illinois at +3 or higher in this game. Illinois offense will give Wisconsin fits this weekend as I kind of compare it to UNLV's only with more talented players. Wisconsin is in a lot of trouble and I strongly lean to Illinois winning straight up. With the line that came out, it looks as if the books believe that as well.

Because Wisky, like Texas and a few other "top" teams, has been living on the edge of a loss the last 4 games. Wisky quite honestly isn't that good.

Not saying that Illy is much better. But the speed and the spread should give Wisky fits.

Thanks for that insight Fondy and RJ, I was surprised to see them dogs and now understand why. However, Badger ML may be a good play? What do you think?

I don't see it happening. Illini is coming off a 2-10 season with a turnover prone qb with only one quality win which was a fluke. Wisky has the longest active win streak in the country

wisky on Ml, hell ya. I 'll go ahead and take da points though. When I first saw this line I thought maybe an injury I'm not aware of.

Not to be rude, but what part of RJ and Fondy's writeups make you think they would want to take Wisky ML?

These are the kind of games where you usually want to be on the side that seems hard to believe at first...because you know which side the worse bettors are going to be on. Not saying I'm not one of them, because getting a top 10 team plus points is always attractive. I'm just saying that you know something is up here, and I'd rather go with the book than with the sheep...

Not to be rude, but what part of RJ and Fondy's writeups make you think they would want to take Wisky ML?

No offense taken, just saying that if Badgers lose SU, they most likely won't cover the +3. Now if they do win, which I believe they have a fair chance at doing, you'd get a better payout.

After reading the writeups, I'll do some more digging before taking it off the lean list, but from what it looks like, it'll be a no play from me.

I wasn't quite expecting Illinois to be favored, more like a pick'em. But my god, Wisconsin is just a fraud of a top 10 team, so I can sort of understand the books favoring Illinois.

I will agree that Wisky is not a national power. They do find ways to win games though. i really think Illinios is not that good at all. I would say they are around the 50th best team in the country.

I'll argue with anyone that Wisconsin can beat the LSU and USC's of the world....

... but then they can lose to just about anyone as well...

This is from the UW beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel...

UW'S NEXT OPPONENT

Wisconsin (5-0, 2-0 Big Ten Conference) at Illinois (4-1, 2-0), 11 a.m. Saturday:
This game looked to be a demanding test for UW in August when the teams were still in camp. Now, given the uneven play of the UW defense, it looks even tougher. The Illini are much improved over last season, when they finished 1-7 in the league and 2-10 overall. The 27-20 victory over Penn State on Saturday was the Illini's first against a ranked opponent since the 2001 season, when Illinois won the league title. If UW doesn't play better than it did Saturday against Michigan State, it will lose for the first time this season.

Simple Answer: Wisky isn't that great. Did you watch the Iowa/Wis game?

Still hope they win so their rank is high for the beating tOSU is gonna put on them in Columbus at night.

if you cant tell im halfway kidding ;) and wouldnt take my cfb advice or whatever it shoudl be called as im 1 for 9 so far this year.

id agree that this line makes zero sense tho.

i have turn things around soon tho right. law of large numbers says so ...

hed be the best wr on the bears (not that saying that says much).

go Illini go

Illini is sick this year Benn is hell of sick.

Also one thing i really like is the Defense especially the Dline...

If mich st almost beat wisky. Illini should win the streak will end soon ......

Well this line caught me off gaurd. I been going against wisky last 2-3 weeks waiting for them to loose , And with Illini havent touched em since week1 Mizz. I have seen them play a little here and there and from what ive seen that juice has a rabbits foot so deep up his ass they may just win.With that I played Wisky +3 and probably will be hittin ML.Wisky knows that Illini has beatin Penn St and should be ready for them,Wisky is a all around better team,And if juice happens to take a dump before the game .Wisky wins. IMO BOL Also I know i should be listening to Fondy and rest of ya ,but gettin points way to tempting

Before fizzing out at the end of last year, the Illini had a stretch where they played some of the top Big 10 teams tough (PSU, Wisky, OSU), outgaining both PSU and OSU, while only being outgained by 24 by Wisky. They got their revenge on the Nittany Lions; now the Badgers come to town having not looked overly impressive since Week 1. And this year, Illy's only loss was a tough one to Mizzou at a neutral site.
That said, I too was surprised that Wisky is the underdog; although my guess is that by the end of the week the public will have bet this down to around a pick'em.

Wisconsin is going to get crushed this week...I'll be on Illinois for sure.

Pretty bold statement, considering the Illini haven't crushed anybody this year.

I'm leaning to taking the points in this one, and here's why...

1. Last year against the Illini, P.J. Hill was having plenty of success until he was knocked out for the 2nd Half, averaging 4.2 ypc. Wisconson still won the game 30-24 after trailing 21-3 in the 3rd Quarter (largely due to turnovers).

2. The Wisconsin defense shut down Juice Williams completely in the 2nd Half of last year's game (45% completion percentage on the day). Not only that...but the Badger defense bottled up Mendenhal throughout the entire game (8 carries for only 26 yards).

3. While Wisconsin doesn't have Stocco anymore, Tyler Donovan has been solid thus far, throwing 9 TDs and only 3 INTs (62% completetion rate). With P.J. Hill healthy this time around, Donovan shouldn't have to make as many plays as Stocco did in last year's game.

4. Wisconsin is averaging over 200 yards rushing/game. So is Illinois, but this will be the best rushing team the Illini have faced thus far.

Again, this is just a lean for me...and if it does become a play, it will be small. I do think the Illini are a legit team in the Big Ten now, especially after they pulled off the upset last week against Penn St. But, until Wisky has their winning streak snapped, I'll take the points and hope the train keeps rollin along.

:cheers:

I'm thinking the best play on the game may be the over if we get it around the low 60's.

Wisconsin can't stop anyone. Ike keeps getting banged up and having 2 new safeties hurts the defense. Wisconsin is tough up front, but maybe overly aggressive. They open themselves up to a lot of draws and screen passes.

Offensively Wisconsin should put numbers up on the board, but I have some concerns.

- First Big 10 road game.
- Only Ty Donovan's 2nd career Big 10 road start.
- No Lance Smith backing up PJ Hill (suspended for road games)
- WR's being banged up

Jefferson, Ikegwuonu should play at Illinois

By Jeff Potrykus

Monday, Oct 1 2007, 01:35 PM

Madison - Bret Bielema's medical update included good news for Wisconsin football fans.
Freshman wide receiver Kyle Jefferson, who was knocked out of the Michigan State game after absorbing a helmet-to-helmet hit, has cleared all medical tests and is expected to play Saturday at Illinois.
Junior cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu, who missed most of the Michigan State game with flu-like symptoms, expects to return to practice Tuesday.
"He is a resilient young man," Bielema said of Jefferson Monday during his weekly news conference. "He is very, very tough. As you get around young men you'll kind of figure out who are going to be the guys that are going to be very hard to keep down.
"He got up and jogged to the sideline, which kind of shocked me. He had some pretty good initial testing (on the sideline)...
"By this time yesterday, when we talked to our medical people, he had cleared everything. So he'll be involved in full-go practice on Tuesday."
Jefferson caught a 64-yard touchdown pass before being knocked out and has seven catches or 126 yards this season.
According to Bielema, Ikegwuonu lost seven pounds to 183.
"He had dehydration issues," Bielema said. "He had a migraine. If you want a full doctor's report...he was sick."
After the victory over Michigan State, attempted to use a joke to explain Ikegwuonu's status.
"Jack called in sick today," he said at the time. "When you're in grade school Mom gave you a note and you were clear to the next day, but it doesn't work too good on college football Saturdays."
Given that some observers assumed Bielema was chiding Ikegwuonu and attempting to motivate him, Bielema was asked Monday to clarify those initial comments.
"When we were in the locker room and they said Jack may not be able to go today," he said, "I said: ‘Well, we can't cancel class for the day. Next man in.'
"That is why I made that comment afterwards. Jack has no control over that. He got sick...If somebody's got the flu and diarrhea you can't do much about it.
"You know? That's bad news."
Bielema added he could not understand how anyone could misinterpret his comments.
"I'll give up," he said. "A couple of you've got a good sense of humor...
"I would advise a couple of you -- don't go to the Internet and talk to the 10 other guys who are online with you. I think it might help you out a lot."

ZOOKS A DUMBA$$

ILLINOIS BITS
Juice not squeezed out of job
BY TERRY BANNON

October 1, 2007

<!-- START LEAD --> Illinois coach Ron Zook's look at the game films confirmed his postgame opinion that sophomore quarterback Juice Williams did nothing to lose his starting job in Saturday's 27-20 upset of Penn State. Zook replaced Williams with redshirt freshman Eddie McGee in the fourth quarter.

"Juice only had five bad plays, really," Zook said Sunday. "When we made the change, it was more to let Juice settle down. It didn't mean Eddie would finish it out. A couple of guys got beat deep. Are we going to take them out?"

<!-- END LEAD --><!-- START REST --> McGee finished the game and remains an option to get some regular playing time, Zook said. "We're still working through that," he said.

In his first season as a starter, Williams has completed 53.4 percent of his passes with four touchdowns and five interceptions. But the downfield passing game is an issue. Williams has thrown for only 497 yards, with a long gain of 29.

Trouble coming

Illinois will face its toughest test of the season Saturday when fifth-ranked Wisconsin (5-0) visits Memorial Stadium for an 11 a.m. start on ESPN. At 4-1 and 2-0 in the Big Ten, the Illini are closing in on a Top 25 ranking. They're 28th in the Associated Press balloting and 34th in the coaches' poll, in which Zook has a vote. He didn't vote for the Illini.

"I got to the 25th spot and thought about it, but I think Missouri is a good football team, and we didn't beat them," said Zook, recalling the season-opening 40-34 loss in St. Louis.

----------

tabannon@tribune.com

Back