Why I have loved Allen Iverson from day 1

smh212

Awesomeitus Degenerate
For those of you that have known me for going on 10 years, from posting here for 10 years, you know that I always made sure that people realized what we saw night in and night out in Allen Iverson. If you not from Philly, and didn't get to experience what Allen gave us every night, I hope one day you have a basketball player in YOUR city that does, so you too can experience it. Maybe some of you, (Boston and Bird come to mind), found that pot of gold. That guy who; not only made you want to to come and watch him live every night because of his game, but because you felt that he represented you and your city. The bond between Allen and Philadelphia is impossible to explain to those not from Philly. It wasn't the scoring, it wasn't the fearlessness, it was all that, but even more it was hope.

I firmly believed in my heart (luckily not my head, because I wager on the NBA), that every time Allen stepped on the court, the Sixers would win. I felt that every road game, my city, Philadelphia; a city where basketball unites people like no other (even more than football), was being represented, because Allen was on the court.

I remember his rookie year, he was on the verge of setting the record for NBA rookies by scoring 40+ points in 5 straight games. The Sixers were in Cleveland, and me and my boy just had to go. So, were there, its 1997 and the Sixers stink, but Allen is going to set the record. The fans in Cleveland are booing him, and calling him all kinds of ill shit. My boy and I know he heard it, because by the 4th quarter, we were sitting 5 rows from the court (the Cavs sucked too, so it was easy to move down), and we could hear it to. It wasn't taunting, it was hate. As is usually the case it was only a couple of people, but man did they hate Allen. Well, when scored the bucket to get the record, he grabbed the front of jersey, and yelled, "Philly Motherfuckers". Now, the Sixers were gettin' killed like always that year, but I'll never forget that moment. To me, in the heat of all that crap he was hearing, he called out a town he wasn't even from. He pulled that jersey, in way that you knew, Allen understood what basketball meant to Philadelphia. He was one of us. He always will be, and now he's a HALL OF FAMER.

My man....Allen Iverson is in the Hall of Fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8zwa6GzgAQ

I loved him too. Had a pair of his sneakers for a long time, which I never bought for any other player, not even Jordan. Was always disappointing when you heard about the trouble he would get himself into, because you could always tell the guy cared about being a good person and doing good. Hope he is at peace with his life.

My cousin went to high school with him and he's obv a local boy for me. I really respect his heart. Plus, he went to Georgetown so I'm always a fan. I don't think he's a bad guy, more misunderstood.

Smh...

:cheers3:

Much love and respect to AI, hands down the f@#king man.

10x more heart than half the dudes playing today.

I watched a lot of hoops in my life and never seen a man as fearless as AI and most likely never will again. I enjoyed watching him play and will never see a player give himself up the way he did. I'm glad he's getting the recognition that he deserves. NBA season almost here.

Back