White Sox Sign Octavio Dotel

CharlieBX

Friend of CTG
The Chicago White Sox signed reliever Octavio Dotel to a 2yr deal today. IF this guy is healthy (which according to Kenny Williams, he passed his physical with flying colors...but don't they always say that?) it's a great pickup for the White Sox. He'll join Scott Linebrink (another guy that if healthy is a huge addition) to help bolster one of the worst bullpens last year. Linebrink should be able to provide some good middle relief and Dotel looks like the prime candidate to setup close Bobby Jenks.

They didn't make as BIG a splash in the free-agent market as some fans hoped (losing out on both Hunter and Rowand, not getting Miguel Cabrera, not getting Fukudome) but they have definitely made some moves to improve their roster. Orlando Cabrera can put the ball in play, something they needed badly last year. Swisher brings power, energy, and a good attitude to the team (still kind of a skeptic about putting him in CF, LF is the better fit imo). Then there is a bit of a wildcard with Alexis Ramirez, solid hitter with power could be the difference in helping this offense that was very inconsistent last year.

Biggest question still though to me, what about the starting pitching? We lost a solid guy in Garland but the tradeoff for Cabrera is acceptable. Buerhle is still the main guy in my opinion with Javier right there with him as a solid innings eater/strikeout pitcher. However, still worried about how Jose Contreras will perform after some of his gas can performances last year. Danks looked good at times last year and with a full year under his belt should improve. Is Broadway ready to step up? He seems best suited for the 5th spot but we'll see what happens.

brewer, true the lineup does lack speed. AJ and Thome are horrible runners...it hurts when you know they can't score from 2nd on a solid single. Cabrera's got OK wheels. Hopefully Jerry Owens can make some solid jumps forward in his development, cause if he's ready we could put him in CF and put Swisher in LF.

You guys are right, no speed and the starters are suspect. Looks like the Sox will be playing for the 3-run homer run again and playing a lot of 8-7 games again. I hope the offense can bounce back from a sub par 2007.

They'll be playing from behind, but also, what the hell are they going to do based on that division? Good grief, Detroit, Minny, and Cleveland all are incredibly imposing.

Speaking of which, this division in inter-league play might be a good bet in the blind. Look at the competition they're going to see on a regular basis then put that up against what, the Cincinnati Reds?

twins are going to kill us again this year.

If the Twinks are going to kill us, I shudder to think about what Detroit will do.

im more concerned about the twins and royals. we match up well with detroit for some reason.

im more concerned about the twins and royals. we match up well with detroit for some reason.

Then you have more faith than me. The MLB establishment doesn't favor teams like KC so I don't pay them any mind. But the new-and-improved Detroit worries me.

Brewer, I agree with your assessment about matching up with Detroit. Off the top of my head some of the clutch hitters have pretty decent numbers against the Tigers pitching staff so if our offense can wakeup from last year I think we can stay in some games with them. Honestly, I'm worried about Minnesota the most. For some damn reason...they just seem to have our number lol. Anyone remember the 2005 schedule? It seemed we played Minnesota a lot in the beginning of the year (and were able to beat them thanks to the hot/fast start we got off too) and then barely played them towards the ending of the year (when we almost blew the division lead to Cleveland). Not sure but from my memory it just seemed that way.

That bullpen last yr............................:hang::hang::hang::hang:

I still won't forgive those fuckers for the game vs. the Twins where they totally shit the bed in the summer and cost me a lot of money. I think it ended with one of the jerkoff bullpen pitchers walking in the final run and they were up maybe 6-2 or 6-3 I don't really remember but they lost. Garland started the game

Back