White Sox/Royals & Mets/Yankees Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Parlay for Today at (+289) Features Scherzer-Led Mets

Chicago White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals
Monday, August, 2022 at 2:10 p.m. ET at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City

Who Starts for Chicago?

Michael Kopech starts for Chicago today.

This year, Kopech is yielding -7 units.

It would be unfair, though, to blame him for being an unprofitable pitcher to back.

While Kopech is pitching well, he can't also swing the bats in his team's lineup.

In each of his last five starts, Chicago scored two runs or fewer.

It's not like Kopech was facing off against elite pitchers, either.

Dane Dunning and German Marquez were among the pitchers with high ERAs who locked down the Kopech-led White Sox.

Under Trend

Kopech's strong season -- especially against teams not named Minnesota or Toronto, both of which hit his favorite pitches well -- and Chicago's hitting issues contribute to the fact that Kopech is a very strong "under" pitcher this year.

The "under" is hitting in over 70 percent of Kopech's starts both overall and on the road.

Kopech vs. Royal Batters

Primarily, Kopech throws a fastball and slider.

These two pitches make up almost 90 percent of his arsenal.

Kopech's fastball is his favorite pitch.

Its velocity is great, and its spin rate is even far more incredible.

In terms of spin rate, this pitch ranks in the 98th percentile.

As heat maps show, he likes elevating it.

Elevation and spin give his fastball the appearance of rising action, which induces the batter to swing underneath it.

His slider plays well off his fastball.

The former creates intense changes in the opponent's eye level and balance by frequently landing low in or beneath the strike zone and by averaging 11 fewer mph than his fastball.

Today, Kopech merits optimism particularly because Kansas City, since its current hitting slump started, ranks 26th in slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

To be exact, since August 12, Kansas City has scored four runs a single time.

During this 10-game span, the Royals have mustered a combined total of 20 runs.

Who Starts for Kansas City?

Daniel Lynch starts for Kansas City today.

If you were to look only at last year, then you would easily decide to trust Chicago hitters today.

But a lot has changed.

Whereas the White Sox pummeled Lynch last year, he has allowed zero runs in 11.1 innings against them this year.

Chicago's Hitting Regression

Lynch is now reliable against Chicago because he has improved while Chicago has regressed.

Whereas the White Sox ranked sixth in scoring 4.90 runs per game last year, they rank 20th in scoring 4.21 runs per game.

In a similar vein, Chicago has dropped .40 in slugging against left-handed pitchers from last year to this one.

Lynch's Improvement

As opposing BA and slugging rates show, Lynch's changeup is much more effective this year.

This improvement in changeup effectivity is crucial because he basically only throws this pitch against right-handed batters.

The change-up is a classic weapon against opposite-handed batters, and Lynch's features consistently good location on the borders of the strike zone.

New York Mets vs. New York Yankees
Monday, August 22 at 7:05 p.m. ET at 7:05 p.m. ET in Bronx, New York

Who Starts for the Mets?

Max Scherzer starts for the Mets.

Despite routinely being chalked heavily, Scherzer has been a profitable pitcher for bettors to back.

This is especially true on the road, where the Mets are yielding +3.6 units in Scherzer's starts.

Scherzer vs. Yankee Batters

Scherzer is especially reliable at the moment because he his pitching excellently.

His strong current form is evident in the fact that he's yielded a sub-2.50 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) in each of his last three starts, despite facing the Braves twice and Philadelphia.

Scherzer has elite command and a top-level ability to induce batters to chase his pitches outside the zone.

Hence, he is averaging over 11 strikeouts per nine innings while walking 1.65 batters per nine innings.

He relies especially on his fastball but also to a significant extent on his slider.

The Yankees are hardly hitting anything right now, anyways.

Since their August slide has begun -- they are on a 4-14 run right now, during which span they've been shut out five times -- they rank 29th in slugging .313 against Scherzer's pitches from righties.

Who Starts for the Yankees?

Domingo German starts for the Yankees today.

He merits pessimism in this contest because the Mets rank fifth in slugging against his favorite pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Parlay White Sox/Royals under 8.5 at -115 & Mets RL at +108 at +289 odds with BetOnline

Last edited:
While I was reading I was thinking that cws/kc number be lower, 8.5 seems more than reasonable to play the under, I agree w neither offense much to worry bout, could def see 4 runs be enough to win.

Dunno how ya don’t play the mets? it a pitching mismatch even if yanks wernt in a awful slump, if yanks break out if it against scherzer I’ll tip my cap, this def feels like bunch of runs for 1 team and hardly any for the other!!

While I was reading I was thinking that cws/kc number be lower, 8.5 seems more than reasonable to play the under, I agree w neither offense much to worry bout, could def see 4 runs be enough to win.

Dunno how ya don’t play the mets? it a pitching mismatch even if yanks wernt in a awful slump, if yanks break out if it against scherzer I’ll tip my cap, this def feels like bunch of runs for 1 team and hardly any for the other!!

Yeah I was actually pretty sussed out by seeing 8.5, but I made a case for the over in my head (cws vs lefties, royals pen, etc), and thought it might be a fair total. Definitely see an under, though

Yeah I was actually pretty sussed out by seeing 8.5, but I made a case for the over in my head (cws vs lefties, royals pen, etc), and thought it might be a fair total. Definitely see an under, though
Massive look ahead for Sox, they're a game behind the O's and that series starts tomorrow in Baltimore. Wouldn't blame them for just trying to get out of KC fast today.

Back