White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher . . .

maddog632

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Athletics made their second major trade in three weeks, sending outfielder and fan favorite Nick Swisher to the Chicago White Sox for three minor leaguers on Thursday.
<!-- begin player card -->
Nick Swisher

7435.jpg
Right Field
Oakland Athletics

<TABLE cellSpacing=0><CAPTION>2007 Season Stats</CAPTION><TBODY><TR class=io-columnHeaders><TD>GM</TD><TD>HR</TD><TD>RBI</TD><TD>R</TD><TD>OBP</TD><TD>AVG</TD></TR><TR><TD>150</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>78</TD><TD>84</TD><TD>.381</TD><TD>.262</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- end player card -->
The A's -- who dealt ace Dan Haren to Arizona on Dec. 14 -- received left-hander Gio Gonzalez, right-hander Fautino De Los Santos and outfielder Ryan Sweeney.
Oakland general manager Billy Beane acknowledged last month that the A's are rebuilding and said he expects the club to take its lumps next season after the A's missed the playoffs in 2007. They reached the AL Championship Series in 2006, but Oakland (76-86) had its streak of winning seasons end at eight and went 9-17 in September.
The 27-year-old Swisher, a switch-hitter and a favorite in the clubhouse because of his high-energy, playful nature, had been one of the few constants for Oakland in recent seasons -- playing in the outfield and at first base while the team dealt with injuries at most every position.
He batted .262 with 22 homers and 78 RBIs in 150 games in 2007, his third full big league season. He also drew 100 walks, ranking him sixth in the AL, for a career-best .381 on-base percentage.
His 80 home runs were a franchise record by a switch-hitter, and Swisher also recorded career highs for batting average, walks and doubles (36).
The A's will have three more established minor leaguers to add to their farm system.
Gonzalez, 22, pitched for Double-A Birmingham last year and led minor league baseball with 185 strikeouts. He went 9-7 with a 3.18 ERA in 27 starts and was selected to the Southern League midseason and postseason All-Star teams. The White Sox acquired Gonzalez as a compensation pick -- the 38th selection overall of the 2004 amateur draft.
The 21-year-old De Los Santos went 9-4 with a 2.40 ERA in 15 starts and six relief appearances for Class A Kannapolis in 2007. He was picked as the South Atlantic League's top prospect and was also a midseason and postseason All-Star.
In addition, he made five starts for Class-A Winston-Salem and had a combined record of 10-5 record with a 2.65 ERA.
Sweeney, a 22-year-old left hitter, was among Chicago's top prospects going into last season, when he batted .270 with 10 home runs and 47 RBIs in 105 games for Triple-A Charlotte. He also hit .200 with a home run and five RBIs in 15 games for the White Sox.

Josh Fields was penciled in for left field, but now with Swisher there, look for the Sox to try to move Joe Crede.

Swisher will be playing Center Field for the Sox according to GM Kenny Williams.

I always saw Swisher as a hitter first and not a glove man. Can he handle Center Field?

As an A's fan, I used to hate Swisher in CF. I think theres no way he's a CF. He can play there if need be, and maybe I've been spoiled by the Mark Kotsay's of the world, but if you actually care about defense whatsoever, he's no CF.

He's actually a very good defensive 1B, but the White Sox have someone there...

I'm bummin though, probably a good deal but it sucks when your team has no shot in the upcoming year...

Absolutely love the trade for the A's... Gio will be a solid #3 or possibly #2 starter if he can gain a little bit of control, de los Santos could possibly be a stud, and Sweeney kind of reminds me of a Swisher.

Yeah, my baseball knowledge is somewhat limited, but I thought the Sox were looking for a strong fielding CF, not another bat.

Either way:

1. Go Sox.

2. Nick Swisher?

3. Baseball's fixed.

=)

General manager Ken Williams said Chicago's initial plan is to play Swisher mostly in center field, unless Jerry Owens -- who had the job at the end of last season -- has an impressive spring. That would mean Swisher seeing more time in left field. He can also spell Paul Konerko at first.

getting rid of rowand flat out destroyed this team, now kenny's trying to make up for it w/ power.

not gonna happen.

I love to sit here and say the Sox can compete for the division, but I think their high water mark can be 3rd Place (depending if the Twins trade Johan and/or what they get back). Supposedly the Sox play this NL style of play, but their team is built around the 3-run HR. With Konerko, Thome, Crede and AJ in the lineup, it takes 4 hits to get a run sometimes. Dye and Swisher are the only middle of the lineup guys who can score from 2nd on a base hit.

Great trade for the A's. If my team was rebuilding there is nobody I would rather have leading it than Billy Beane. Dude is a genius when it comes to talent. How he has had Oakland competitive for the past 7 years with what he had to work with is just amazing

Yeah, I'd have to agree in part. I didn't know he was apparently so vital to team chemistry, but he was.

Of course, the fact that their pitching has gone sort of to s**t hasn't helped either.

Great trade for the A's. If my team was rebuilding there is nobody I would rather have leading it than Billy Beane. Dude is a genius when it comes to talent. How he has had Oakland competitive for the past 7 years with what he had to work with is just amazing

The thing is, though, Beane is the guy who made this farm system depleted and forced this trade, too.

Our drafts have been terrible. We've gotten a few guys that are MLB caliber players but lower level guys, no swing for the fences stars.

I'm an A's fan and I would rather put my faith in Beane than take my chances with someone else, but I do think the guy has his faults, too...

I Think Swisher Brought That Fun Loving Brother Hood To The Team. Remember Milton Bradley?! Swisher Helped Him To Have Fun For 2 Years, Before Milton Went Back To Being Ass-hole Bradley.

Been A Fan Since 77, And My Butt's Not Too Hurt. Beane And The Rest Of Management Are Looking To 2010-2011 When The New Stadium Opens. They Want The Best Team Possible By Then.

BTW...Someone On The A's (Chavez Maybe?!) Said 90% Chance Barry Bonds In A A's Uniform This Season (A's Wont Contend, So They Bring In Bonds.) He Will Bring Fans...No Bonds/No Fans. They'd Get 8,000 On Tuesday Night vs KC Royals Without Him. That's Just My Guess. I Could Care Less Bout Bonds.

Chavy said IF bonds is in MLB, 90% its with the A's

I personally don't think so but they did just open up a slot for him at DH with barton shoving over to 1B.

Bring in Bonds, get Chavy and Harden healthy, and maybe you can contend. Maybe.

But those things are so unlikely...

Yeah A Healthy Harden Would Be Great, But He Seems Like The Next Kerry Wood (All The Talent In The World/Gets Hurt Too Much)

Chavy Is Thinking He May Be Traded As Well. But If He Stays...Well It Seems Like I've Been Waiting For Him To Break Out For Years...

(I Wanted The A's To Keep Tejada At Short And Trade Chavy A Couple Years Ago)

Throw Bonds In...U Can Always Hope The A's Play Their Butts Off, And At Least SCARE LAA...But They Look WAY Tuff This Year...

this move makes zero sense to me. who trades 3 prospects for a 250 batter to play out of position? this is almost as bad imo as relying on kc relief pitchers last year.

Back