Where will Kelly Bryant (benched Clemson QB) transfer to ??

majent

Oklahoma Sooners
if there's another thread on this, my apologies, I did not see one.

if he'd like to transfer to Oklahoma, we'll take him !!!

where will he end up ??

With what happened at Alabama, and now at Clemson, I wonder how many championships were lost because a coach wouldn't play the more talented backup over the incumbent?

Eight potential transfer destinations for Kelly Bryant
ByCHRIS HUMMER 4 hours ago
Kelly Bryant is now on the open market.
Clemson’s starting quarterback for the last 18 games announced his intention to transfer Wednesday morning. This comes just two days after Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney announced true freshman Trevor Lawrence would start Saturday against Syracuse over Bryant, who’d led the Tigers to a 16-2 record as a starter.
A senior, Bryant plans to take advantage of the new redshirt rule that allows a player to play four games before losing a year of eligibility. He’s just one of several upperclassmen over the past week to take advantage of the rule by opting to transfer mid-season.
Bryant will surely have no lack of suitors this offseason when he works through his options as a graduate transfer. Winning quarterbacks rarely do.
These are a few schools that might be a good fit for Bryant in the future.
ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS
Chad Morris wasn’t Bryant’s recruiter in the 2015 class, but Morris did play a role in the program’s early evaluation of Bryant before he left for SMU. Four years later, Morris could sure use a quarterback of Bryant’s talents at his job. Arkansas has already played three different passers this season, and they’ve combined to complete 50.8 percent of their passes with a two-to-three touchdown to interception ratio.
The Razorbacks could use some instant help, and Bryant could provide it. The system Clemson runs remains similar to what Morris put in place when he served as the Tigers’ offensive coordinator, and Bryant could provide Arkansas an instant upgrade at the position in 2019.
AUBURN TIGERS
Yes, the Tigers feature a quarterback with another remaining year of eligibility in Jarrett Stidham. But it would not be a shock at all if Stidham decided to leave for the NFL. If that’s the case, Bryant could serve as a one-year bridge for the Tigers, a program that has only a single high school signee (Joey Gatewood) at quarterback on its roster from the last three classes.
In terms of a fit, Bryant is already familiar with many of the spread principles Gus Malzahn employs. The smashmouth spread run at Clemson is different from the variation at Auburn, but the system’s share more in common than not. Bryant even showed interest in Auburn at one point. He attended the Tigers’ 2013 junior day.
EAST CAROLINA PIRATES
Scottie Montgomery served as Bryant’s main recruiter out of high school for Duke. Don’t be surprised if Montgomery recruits Bryant once again at East Carolina. The Pirates, a program in need of a quick upgrade at a lot of spots, are currently completing just 53 percent of their passes with a one-to-one touchdown to interception ratio. Bryant could come in and give Montgomery a one-year dose of leadership and high-level play. Montgomery, a former NFL coach, could give Bryant the tutelage that might just push him over the edge in the eyes of the NFL.
COLORADO BUFFALOES
You may not have heard of him, but Colorado quarterback Steven Montez (6-foot-5, 235 pounds) is one of the best junior passers in the nation. With that distinction comes a potential NFL choice. If Montez does opt to go to the league – and that’s a big if – new Buffaloes QB coach Kurt Roper has a connection with Bryant. Roper served as Florida’s lead recruiter on Bryant, and Roper runs a system at Colorado that would fit Bryant well.
NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS
Grad transfers haven’t worked out great for Larry Fedora in the past, but he could sure use the help. Fedora’s staff initially offered Bryant out of high school, and the Tar Heel’s QB situation since Mitch Trubisky moved on has been less than ideal. Bryant could help fix that for a year as Fedora regroups, giving the offense a steadying presence. Fedora remains one of college football’s better offensive minds. He just needs a triggerman who can truly run what he’d like to do.
NC STATE WOLFPACK
Dave Doeren’s staff recruited Kelly Bryant out of high school, and they’ve never been shy about recruiting transfers at quarterback. They took Ryan Finley from Boise State as a transfer, and with Finley’s impending graduation, the Wolfpack could again look at the transfer market. If so, Bryant would be an ideal one-year bridge for the program. True freshman Devin Leary and redshirt freshman Matt McKay are the only scholarship QBs on the roster other than Finley to be ranked by 247Sports out of high school, but FSU transfer Bailey Hockman is committed to join the mix in January.
UCLA BRUINS
Bryant doesn’t have any actual connections to the current Bruins staff, but he would be a system fit for Chip Kelly. Bryant is mobile, accurate and is used to playing up-tempo football, all prerequisites to excel in Kelly’s system. Will Kelly want to go the graduate transfer route for a second straight season? That remains to be seen. But the early returns on Dorian Thompson-Robinson have been just OK .
FLORIDA GATORS
While the current Florida staff looks nothing like the Gator staff that offered Bryant out of high school, they do share one thing in common – the need for a quarterback. Sophomore Feleipe Franks has been solid for Florida this season after a 3-1 start. But he’s still completing just 52.6 percent of his passes, and there’s a reason the Gators’ QB battle went all the way to the wire.
Bryant would give Florida an instant upgrade at quarterback in 2018 for a team that should be them positioned to at least put up a fight against Georgia in the SEC East. Emory Jones remains the future in Gainesville; Bryant would simply give the gifted but raw true freshman another year to learn.

Can you imagine being a senior qb on a national title team and transfer cause your not starter? What happens when there is injury? This guy is a selfish dude, sure TEAM knew he was like that, not even that good, good riddance loser.

Last edited:
This worked out perfectly for Dabo. They win with drama. Team win. Empower talented backup with epic experience. Do the right thing by Lawerence. They may not be great but they represent the best of college football to me at the moment. Way to be Clemson. A bunch of winners in Clemson, SC.

Dabo said the thought of Bryant transferring didnt even enter his mind when telling him Sunshine would start. No I in team Kellen.

You need to keep it real, you ain't getting rich in the NFL. Live in the moment. You just missed one.

Brandon Wimbush is an interesting comparison. Brandon had good guidance with this issue. His attitude has kept the Irish together. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds with Clemson. Dabo has epic instincts.

Last edited:
I agree MW. I will never count out a team/ player that has principles like Dabo. As you can tell, I admire the guy. It would be wonderful for him to come back, as backup, work through expected cynicism of decision change and have faith you are doing the right thing. Of course he should be forgiven for emotional decision, he is just a young man

That's a great song. It's funny that just two years later Wake managed to beat Auburn and Georgia (who finished second and tied for third in the SEC respectively that year) and reached #14 in the rankings before Clemson wiped them out 31-0.

Clemson be like "who Kelly bryant?"

Seriously though - I know it's only Lville they're smashing but the kid Lawrence has tremendous poise and moxy for a frosh. I think dabo had no choice on this one

Back