What's Wrong With The Pelicans?

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
A ton of smart basketball guys here. Does Gentry not have the horses to do what he is trying to do? Part of me thinks that Monty is smiling somewhere, and with good reason maybe. No way they start like this if he is coach right? Look, I do not think he was the long term answer but this is bad.

I realize there were injuries, but wow at the start they had. Is everyone trying to run the Dubs offense? Run and gun? Shit, Monty played slow slow style, but they had a good defense if memory serves me..

I worry that we will piss away this amazing player's talent.......almost like I am watching in Baton Rouge(not a Jones fan....pretty bad there but that is for another day)...

Great NBA minds here, so I wanted an outsider looking in take....not the shit we get here:shake:

No practice time with a complete team. It's as simple as that. I haven't watched them play much though.

A combination of mainly poor coaching and a dose of little to none 'starting unit' practise time.

Gentry is a players coach but not a 'coach'. Great as an assistant but a shitty HC.

Was a bad hire, should have gone after Thibs. Was the perfect hire.

Monty is and was a good coach. Wrote it before and after he was fired and maybe now, people will notice that.
Gentry is a good coach, but he needs a certain group of guys to do that. Evans should be good under Gentry.
Not having the entire roster is huge, but doesn't explain everything. Davis, Gordon, Holiday and Anderson (and Asik) - still worth more than 4 - 14 record. Portland, Denver and Nets are worst roster wise, even without all the injured Pelicans and have better record than NO. Pels lost to Magic and Denver at home... Thank god for Phoenix that gave them 2 of their 4 wins...
They are 6 - 11 ATS, so clearly underperforming. 28th in the league ATS wise (thank god there are Lakers and Rockets...).

Bottom line at least for me. A team with Davis, Asik and Jrue - are last in the league, in defensive efficiency! That's just crazy. Lakers that don't know the meaning of defense, ahead of them. Rockets who are completely lost right now, are ahead of them. Every team in the league is better than them as far as defensive efficiency goes and it's not even close. They trail by a whole point from 29th place the Lakers and by 5 points from 24th placed Suns...

I wouldn't fire Gentry, I would fire the GM and trade anyone that can give me something in return and not named Davis for decent bench. Injuries or not, this bench won't get them anywhere...

Gentry is not a HC.
Unibrow shooting jumpers and 3's every time I watch. No idea why.

Monty is and was a good coach. Wrote it before and after he was fired and maybe now, people will notice that.
Gentry is a good coach, but he needs a certain group of guys to do that. Evans should be good under Gentry.
Not having the entire roster is huge, but doesn't explain everything. Davis, Gordon, Holiday and Anderson (and Asik) - still worth more than 4 - 14 record. Portland, Denver and Nets are worst roster wise, even without all the injured Pelicans and have better record than NO. Pels lost to Magic and Denver at home... Thank god for Phoenix that gave them 2 of their 4 wins...
They are 6 - 11 ATS, so clearly underperforming. 28th in the league ATS wise (thank god there are Lakers and Rockets...).

Bottom line at least for me. A team with Davis, Asik and Jrue - are last in the league, in defensive efficiency! That's just crazy. Lakers that don't know the meaning of defense, ahead of them. Rockets who are completely lost right now, are ahead of them. Every team in the league is better than them as far as defensive efficiency goes and it's not even close. They trail by a whole point from 29th place the Lakers and by 5 points from 24th placed Suns...

I wouldn't fire Gentry, I would fire the GM and trade anyone that can give me something in return and not named Davis for decent bench. Injuries or not, this bench won't get them anywhere...

Asik has sucked this year Holiday is on a minutes restrictions, no tyreke, - Gordon, ish and Anderson don't play defense, Norris Cole still out..... ,

why fire the gm?? Not his fault everyone has gotten hurt,, look at the last 15 games of last year , basically same line up but all hurt this year...

Asik has sucked this year Holiday is on a minutes restrictions, no tyreke, - Gordon, ish and Anderson don't play defense, Norris Cole still out..... ,

why fire the gm?? Not his fault everyone has gotten hurt,, look at the last 15 games of last year , basically same line up but all hurt this year...

Injuries are big, but you can't put everything on them. Houston made their amazing streak when half of the roster was injured. I remember because I kept losing money fading them...
Cleveland played several games this season also without 4 of their best 7 players and won. Wizards have 4 players out and won in Cleveland. Thunder played without Durant and won. Bulls had few injuries, Hawks had few injuries... Injuries can explain few losses, but not 4 - 14 record! Also, why injuries matter much more in NO? No bench. Babbit is not a basketball player. Dante as well. Gee is terrible. One of the lowest basketball IQ's in the league and you got McGee still playing, so that says a lot...
When you build your team on 6 players + Ajinca with Cole and you have injury problem and every team in the league (not named Warriors) goes through injuries, you left with Babbitt playing 20 minutes, with Gee starting game and so on...

Gentry is trying to reinvent the wheel, as it was said already. Davis jacking jump shots and so on. Btw, Towns in Minny hitting tough shots, but settles for them too easily and Davis does the same recently. Asik sucked this year? Because Jentry's system doesn't have a room for him. Asik is way overpaid, but he is very good at what he does and complete zero in everything else.
Bottom line, everyone talked about how terrible Pels defense was last year and how it couldn't get any worse. Gentry proved them wrong...

And also... Pels need wins badly. You play B2B tomorrow and have fragile squad coming off injuries. Davis 41 minutes??? Evans 31 and Cole 23 minutes! I don't know who to blame more, coach for not giving other players more minutes or GM for not giving the coach the players he could trust for those minutes, but Pels gave everything minutes wise in this game and lost. I really wanted to back them tonight and now having second thoughts :(

lets see what happens now that Tyreke and Coles are both back and Ajinca playing more.... lets see what Gentry does with his lineups now that he has a relatively healthy Team...

Back